Following Star Trek Page 274

• Nemesis 8 Jan 2021 22:53:32 19,876 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    *sigh* well that's another season done. What a peculiar season that was.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Jan 2021 22:53:43 10,092 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually rather enjoyed the season I have to say, but the reveal of the cause of the burn was the biggest let down for me. There was so much potential there and it was just completely wasted imo. But hey ho, I don't hate Discovery. It's certainly better than no Trek but there is definitely room for improvement.
  • General_Martok 8 Jan 2021 23:05:11 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Expanse is better than this a million times over. So discovery is not better than no trek.

What discovery is in danger of doing now is shitting on the very legacy it was founded on and tarnishing it even more.
  • General_Martok 8 Jan 2021 23:05:49 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /Goes back to 3rd rewatch of DS9
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Jan 2021 15:19:17 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    flicked through the finale, its the perfect end for the end of s3 STD. (don't mean that in a good way)
  • JoelStinty 9 Jan 2021 15:45:24 9,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the last episode. First time I found my self feeling emotionally attached to the crew. As ever, the best stuff revolved around Saru (the one consistently good thing across the whole show) and found his storyline with the young kelpian quietly affecting. I donít know if the cause of the burn is worthy of a storyline across a whole season, rather than just being a TNG episode on a smaller scale but those two made me believe in it. Sounds rubbish writing it down but it worked on screen during the episode.

Been a up and down season, when it is good I think itís a pretty decent show. Not brilliant but watchable and getting better. When it is bad it is bad though. But overall I think itís been a decent season. Perhaps the best one yet with some high points. Think it struggles when itís trying to untangle it self from the last two seasons, and Burnham/script writers enjoy a soliloquy too much but think they tried to make the show more optimistic and be more trek like. Dfawkes said he felt that the script writers arenít listening to fans but I felt they are, and used S3 as a reset. But yeah just needs to be more consistent. Last three episodes kind of reflect that. Went from decent to woeful to pretty damn good. Got potential though.

Edited by JoelStinty at 15:47:21 09-01-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2021 16:05:24 16,065 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I will say this. Discovery was never as boring as Enterprise.
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Jan 2021 16:35:07 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The idea of Federation in ruins was good idea but wasted. (could of had earth leaving over fishing rights and soverunty ;) Enterprise s4 was good apart from the final episode
  • stephenb 10 Jan 2021 19:58:14 3,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • stephenb 10 Jan 2021 20:00:04 3,537 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What was with the upside down and sideways camera shots at the start of scenes for? Also the space where the turbolifts are seemed impossibly cavernous compared to the rest of the ship.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Jan 2021 00:12:02 10,092 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of Star Trek, what's going on with The Orville?
  • Dirtbox 11 Jan 2021 02:56:54 91,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hulu original now. No clue what it's gig will be in the UK, but production was delayed due to covid, as well as the network shift and it's running a tad late.
  • Not-a-reviewer 11 Jan 2021 07:10:19 6,910 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hulu is Disney so it could move onto Star (within Disney+) in the U.K..
  • gammonbanter 11 Jan 2021 09:26:37 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't find a season 3 summary / recap on YouTube! I think they become a thing before a new season launches.
  • AcidSnake 11 Jan 2021 11:01:31 8,408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll recap it without pointing out the plot holes and stupid stuff as best I can...

Burnham and Discovery travel to the future to keep the Sphere data out of the hands of a rogue AI (even though they stopped it before travelling away).
    Because they fly separately Burnham actually arrives a year earlier than Discovery.

She finds a friendly empath dude called Booker who explains that the Federation is long gone since all Dilithium based engines exploded some 100 years prior, wiping out almost all space faring vessels instantly, so now the universe is again stuck to travelling only very short distances.

Current slave driving bad guys with some dilithium left are called the Emerald Chain? Or Something Chain at least...

Discovery arrives, reunite with Burnham and they find Federation HQ. Their spore drive being a way to fix everything.
    Burnham takes a personal interest in the incident that exploded dilithium the universe over.
    They find the cause, a Kelpien who bonded with dilithium at a young age and made it explode when he had a panic attack. (Roll with it)
    They save the Kelpien, blow up some baddie ship and after disobeying orders multiple times, not being sure she was even fit for Starfleet or if she wanted to be in it at all Burnham is made captain of Discovery, ready to set sail on the metaphorical river of tears of all the people around her gushing about how awesome she is...

Crew tally:
    - 1 Terran empress
    + 1 human/trill engineer
    + 1 human bridge officer, to replace android lady lost in the previous season.
    + 1 human empath, who just happens to be able to use the spore drive too, wasn't Burnham lucky she bumped into him?
  • RunningMan 11 Jan 2021 12:56:45 3,036 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was so bad. I think it might get canned, as ratings in the US are terrible.
  • General_Martok 11 Jan 2021 13:08:54 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    It was so bad. I think it might get canned, as ratings in the US are terrible.
    Good, it really doesn't deserve to survive. Just bring back Enterprise. :p
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jan 2021 13:28:35 16,065 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iíd like to the crew tally to include:

+1 Sentient Wall-E style repair droid crew as piloted by the Sphere Data
    +1 Trill ghost boyfriend

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 13:28:49 11-01-2021
  • AcidSnake 11 Jan 2021 13:31:47 8,408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe:

Oh yeah...
    Also forgot about the antennaeless resistance leader, but then again, so did the writers most of the time...
  • Nazo 11 Jan 2021 13:32:59 1,616 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't forget the cat
  • Phattso 11 Jan 2021 14:07:19 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SHE'S A QUEEN.

Fuck this fucking show.
  • DFawkes 11 Jan 2021 14:22:36 32,744 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The key point for me and my abject disdain for the worst written character on television is that character could've been cast with any actor and it'd still be appalling. I love pretty much every performance I've seen from Sam Rockwell. He even managed to be watchable in Charlie's Angels. If he had played Michael Burnham, I'd still have hated the character. Relentless incompetence constantly getting praised and rewarded will never feel right.
  • AcidSnake 11 Jan 2021 14:22:37 8,408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Was it ever explained why they abandoned spore drive tech?
  • DFawkes 11 Jan 2021 14:30:10 32,744 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mostly it was open to misuse so Starfleet abandoned it. I think it was also damaging the network as it's a living thing, and there are ethical implications on the requirement of a living component. To be fair I'll sort of give them this one.

It doesn't explain how no-one else discovered it independently, or how no other race (with fewer ethical qualms) seems to have figures it out. My headcanon is the Q continuum realised how monumentally dangerous it was so locked it off from us mere mortals.
  • Nazo 11 Jan 2021 15:05:00 1,616 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway the most important development of the series was Burnham's transformation into an over-emotional hippie.

'Yeah I know I was raised a Vulcan and have walked a path of mental and emotional restraint all my life but I've been on my own a few months and it's changed me, man. Look, long hair now, see? Hugs and smiles and tears all round. P.S. you're all stifling me and I think I hate you so I'm probably going to leave. No wait! I love you all really so I'm going to stay. I can haz captain? Yay, more smiles and hugs and tears!'

Just like Picard's emotional arc with Wesley really.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Jan 2021 15:47:52 10,092 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hang on, Booker's not human.
  • Scimarad 11 Jan 2021 18:46:12 9,926 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Phattso

The cat is the best character. Low bar, I know.
  • MrWorf 11 Jan 2021 19:17:13 63,994 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Hang on, Booker's not human.
    Kwejian, but described as a human offshoot.
  • RGeefe 11 Jan 2021 19:17:46 1,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    not to shit on it but I would be genuinely amazed if this is justifying the cost spent
  • Saul_Iscariot 11 Jan 2021 19:28:31 4,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Despite the numerous bad episodes, stuff like Frame of Mind really showed that there was talent in the writing, acting and film staff. Jonathan Frakes should be worshipped for the turn he put in in that episode.

Edited by Saul_Iscariot at 19:28:49 11-01-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.