Following Star Trek Page 275

• Nemesis 11 Jan 2021 19:39:21 19,876 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Hang on, Booker's not human.
    At some point they'll riff on Wrath of Khan and say 'by the book'. Low hanging fruit.

/eats apple
  • gammonbanter 11 Jan 2021 22:56:16 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I'll recap it without pointing out the plot holes and stupid stuff as best I can...

Burnham and Discovery travel to the future to keep the Sphere data out of the hands of a rogue AI (even though they stopped it before travelling away).
    Because they fly separately Burnham actually arrives a year earlier than Discovery.

She finds a friendly empath dude called Booker who explains that the Federation is long gone since all Dilithium based engines exploded some 100 years prior, wiping out almost all space faring vessels instantly, so now the universe is again stuck to travelling only very short distances.

Current slave driving bad guys with some dilithium left are called the Emerald Chain? Or Something Chain at least...

Discovery arrives, reunite with Burnham and they find Federation HQ. Their spore drive being a way to fix everything.
    Burnham takes a personal interest in the incident that exploded dilithium the universe over.
    They find the cause, a Kelpien who bonded with dilithium at a young age and made it explode when he had a panic attack. (Roll with it)
    They save the Kelpien, blow up some baddie ship and after disobeying orders multiple times, not being sure she was even fit for Starfleet or if she wanted to be in it at all Burnham is made captain of Discovery, ready to set sail on the metaphorical river of tears of all the people around her gushing about how awesome she is...

Crew tally:
    - 1 Terran empress
    + 1 human/trill engineer
    + 1 human bridge officer, to replace android lady lost in the previous season.
    + 1 human empath, who just happens to be able to use the spore drive too, wasn't Burnham lucky she bumped into him?
    Cheers, this saved me a lot of time! I have questions about why they just couldn't use an alternative to dilithium but I don't think it matters. That all feels like it could be a two parter!
  • jrmat 13 Jan 2021 22:35:25 244 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Continuing my rewatch of DS9, up to 5.3. Brilliant. 5.3 was utterly hilarious. Looking for love in all the wrong places. The one where Quark manages to seduce he ex wife. Worf and Dax get it together and OBrien and Kira resist getting it together. Quark even quotes some of Edwin Starrs War. Put a smile on my face.
  • Nexus_6 13 Jan 2021 22:44:13 5,685 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am only slightly ahead of you in the DS 9 rewatch. Loving it. Just had s6 In The Pale Moonlight which is absolutely fantastic and then the first Vic Fontaine episode. Which is not so good.

Fun fact - Sisko's glass he drinks from in Pale Moonlight is the Bladerunner Glass. I have a pair of them. Beautiful.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 23:01:26 16,065 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím not a Vic Fontaine fan
  • Nexus_6 13 Jan 2021 23:02:36 5,685 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I am not that familiar with the character, having only seen a few episodes of S7 but I am inclined to agree with you on that front.
  • gammonbanter 14 Jan 2021 00:19:46 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Neither am I! I never really processed him the first time around. Is he supposed to be the DS9 Guinan? Cos he's wank!

Looking back his addition is terribly dated and was all part of that late 90s swing revival thing, which came back again when that baby did it on X factor and Robbie Williams ran out of ideas.

And there is the argument (which I might have read on here actually) that half the crew would have had to use the segregated entrance and loos in that time period!

Edited by gammonbanter at 00:23:56 14-01-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 00:23:28 16,065 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Despite TNG being my favourite (as it is for everyone, donít lie) I feel like heís a bit too TNG for DS9.

If that makes sense?
  • Technoishmatt 14 Jan 2021 08:13:32 4,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He is quite VOY...
  • Nexus_6 14 Jan 2021 08:17:49 5,685 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    He just seems absolutely redundant from the get go.
    Doesnít help that his introduction is a poor episode and follows directly after a fantastic one.
  • General_Martok 14 Jan 2021 09:14:12 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not looking forward to getting to the Vic episodes. 🙈
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 09:26:27 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Vic is an OK character, I just hate holodeck episodes. They always do the lamest thing in the absolute lamest way. When you take the characters out of their setting and contextualise them in a modern(ish) way, it really reveals how boring they all are.

I mean, there are exceptions (our man bashir and the one where the romulans try to trick riker) but, in the main, they suck purely due to a lack of imagination.

'I have a room that can do literally anything... lets do something really dull'
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 09:29:08 16,065 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is the one where Sisko is a post-war pulp sci-fi author a holodeck or something else? Its still a mid C20th episode but it was pretty good
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 09:43:24 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He goes back twice. Once is a transporter time travel accident and the one youre referring to, its a hallucination and its implied hes getting messed with by the wormhole aliens.
  • IRWATWO 14 Jan 2021 10:18:38 950 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    'Far Beyond The Stars'. Some of the best Trek ever to my mind. Great story, vital underlying theme (now as much as then), and the added bonus of all the actors usually buried in alien makeup showing how great they are without it.
  • General_Martok 14 Jan 2021 10:36:15 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah that's up there with the visitor as some of the best sci fi on TV.
  • gammonbanter 14 Jan 2021 11:27:11 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    'Far beyond the stars' is what it's all about really. I actually try to avoid re-watching it so that I don't become numb to it!

I think that about a couple of episodes, "tapestry" and "chain of command" come to mind straight away as episodes I don't want to wear out!
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 11:29:23 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think it would have been a good season finale. I love the way it leaves it hanging that DS9 might be the dream.
  • Nexus_6 14 Jan 2021 11:36:01 5,685 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Watched on it's own Far Beyond The Stars is excellent. What knocks things for me a bit is the series seems to be quite all over the place tonally - its the mid point of the Dominion War and one week we get a deep episode about morality of war etc and the next the runabout is 4inches long ha ha ha.

Then you have In the Pale Moonlight one time and very next episode Frank Sinatra is helping get Odo laid.
  • IRWATWO 14 Jan 2021 11:47:07 950 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's A Lonesome Old Town (When You Live In A Bucket)
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 11:56:56 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its like that stupid heist holodeck episode (I know, I know, some people love it) is basically the last bit of whimsy we get before the final stretch of mega serious episodes to wrap the series up. The last of the good times.
  • Nazo 14 Jan 2021 12:02:42 1,616 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They should make an adult series based on Quark's holodeck library, I bet there's some imaginative stuff in there.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 12:06:21 16,065 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its a real shame Avery Brooks has such a small acting cv. His range as Sisko runs Patrick Stewart close, if not overtakes him.
  • RGeefe 14 Jan 2021 12:26:19 1,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As much as I like Sisko, Brooks' acting style and his staccato delivery of some lines is a bit weird, at times.
  • gammonbanter 14 Jan 2021 13:03:36 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    As much as I like Sisko, Brooks' acting style and his staccato delivery of some lines is a bit weird, at times.
    Did you ever see him on Shatner's Captains documentary? I think he was being weird because Shatner is a bit of a willy! But yeah, he essentially played the piano the whole interview and gave his answers as lyrics. To this day I can't say "Jake"... without kinda singing it like Sisko

Edited by gammonbanter at 13:04:01 14-01-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 13:10:39 16,065 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nigel Havers as a male Janeway feels like a bullet dodged
  • gammonbanter 14 Jan 2021 13:28:32 2,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nigel Havers as a male Janeway feels like a bullet dodged
    Imagine if he'd played it like a ww2 British officer....."terribly sorry ol' boy but I'm afraid desperate times call for desperate measures, and we are going to have to bend those prime directives just a smidge. But do be a love and put the kettle on first"
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 13:40:42 16,065 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok, Iím sold

Smoke me a kipper, Iíll be back for breakfast - energise
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 13:43:35 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Im glad he didnt get it. I would have had to say 'Nigel Havers eats his Quavers' at the start of every episode.

Just like I have to say 'Robert Peston puts his vest on' every time the news comes on.
  • Nexus_6 14 Jan 2021 14:52:01 5,685 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun is a lot of fun
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.