@captbirdseye nope. CBS all access was renamed as Paramount +
  • captbirdseye 7 Apr 2021 09:00:28 10,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, my bad.
  • LFace 7 Apr 2021 09:25:30 177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That Discovery season 4 trailer looks horrifically bad. More shooty shooty explosions and hand holding closeups of Burnham. Just put it out if it's misery.
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 09:40:17 2,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They really should just remake ALL of DS9 :)
  • drhickman1983 7 Apr 2021 09:41:34 7,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wouldn't trust the current showrunners to remake DS9.
  • RGeefe 7 Apr 2021 09:43:40 1,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some of the Discovery defenders are full on Zach Snyder fans. Just absolutely fingers in ears. Don't get me wrong, I like some shit stuff but I know it's shit. These people act like it's legit good.
  • creepiest-lizard 7 Apr 2021 09:46:58 2,398 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder what percentage of them are fans of good Trek as well. Surely its pretty low.
    But yeah, very culty behaviour.
  • LFace 7 Apr 2021 10:09:04 177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DS9 remade by current showrunners would make Kai Winn appear in every episode and be loved by all with extreme closeups every time she grabbed peoples ear. The Founders would be the lovechild of Moogie and the Grand Nagus that travelled back in time having got upset at not earning enough latinum. And the end of each episode would be a shootout in Quarks bar which is now co-owned with the mirror universe Kira who just cant help but act all sensual in an evil way during every screened second.
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 10:10:39 2,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OK that made me feel physically sick. Let's not remake DS9 with these shitheads 🙈.
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 10:12:51 2,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    I have heard a rumour that Q will enlist Picardy help to deal with a threat from Star Fleets past and future. A crew of mostly unidentifiable people, led by a messiah like figure that turn excitement into entropy need to be eradicated from the timeline. Somehow it crosses over with Discovery, but I cannot see how they fit into that description.

Just had a thought around this. Discovery is investigating a vast spacial anomaly...Picard reintroduces Q.

They've taken "All good things" and made 2 series out of it.

Edit: Changed it to the correct episode!

Edited by General_Martok at 11:41:44 07-04-2021
  • Not-a-reviewer 7 Apr 2021 10:16:36 7,309 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like it would normally be a double episode for TNG.
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 10:52:14 2,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's because "The best of both worlds" is a double TNG episode

And I'm a thick shit cause it's "All good things" that I mean :)

Edited by General_Martok at 11:42:13 07-04-2021
  • myk 7 Apr 2021 11:02:18 770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the reason people get a bit defensive about Discovery is because it's the first Star Trek show in ages - if it got cancelled, Picard comes to a natural end, Strange New Worlds doesn't do great numbers it could be another 10-15 years before another show comes out.
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Apr 2021 11:13:10 5,196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The STD aka "DISCO" fanatics are awful people, any criticism of the show they scream racism and sexism. The sub reddit is full of them, they actually love burnham crying, they don't seem quite right...

Picard show is not much better as mostly the some group. Both shows are written by people who hate the old shows but they use old characters to get old fans to watch
  • RGeefe 7 Apr 2021 11:19:51 1,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @myk I am perfectly fine with this. I think Americans are very much "we'd rather have something shit" compared to Brits who are used to getting good but fewer series.

Case in point - loved me some Life on Mars but they don't need to make more of it
  • Zerobob 7 Apr 2021 11:24:42 2,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can we all just agree that Discovery and Picard never existed and move on?

TNG, DS9, and Voyager are on Netflix. Just watch those on repeat. What else do you need?

The more you watch Discovery and Picard - in a futile attempt to gain something of worth from the experience - the more you legitimise their undeserving existence.
  • Nazo 7 Apr 2021 11:24:53 1,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Just had a thought around this. Discovery is investigating a vast spacial anomaly...Picard reintroduces Q.

They've taken the best of both worlds and made 2 series out of it.
    Do you mean All Good Things? Neither Q nor a vast spacial anomaly featured in The Best of Both Worlds.
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 11:40:49 2,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:

They've taken the best of both worlds and made 2 series out of it.
    Do you mean All Good Things? Neither Q nor a vast spacial anomaly featured in The Best of Both Worlds.
    Ah yes! Shit my bad!
  • gossypboy 7 Apr 2021 11:52:17 154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard
    To be honest isn't star trek from the inside a cult anyway and if your disrespectful u get kicked out.

If you watch some of the panels they all rave about how good discovery is and how great they all are.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 12:07:25 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I feel like I’m probably the forum Discovery apologist here and it is partly because its the first Trek in ages. But also there are so many moments or ideas where its like “thats good, thats Trek, do more of that” and they almost never pay off but I can see the seeds of a good show in there. I want it to push through on the good stuff because there are times when we’ve had wholly good episodes or ones where you get all the way to the final minute before it loses it.

But then I feel like its a regular caveat - the best have almost always been Frakes directed with quite traditional TNG era premises. So many the aberration is letting old slip into new not good new among the bad.
  • gossypboy 7 Apr 2021 13:08:02 154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

I've only watched the first season of discovery and thought it was good.

I should start watching the rest but we need a new series set in Picard times not more TOS timeline
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 13:50:13 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In my head Discovery is in the same continuity as the reboot movies not the other tv shows. It feels a much better fit there.
  • nickthegun 7 Apr 2021 14:01:07 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The thing with Discovery (and its audience, tbh) is that I suspect if you were to look up its episode ratings on RT or IMDB, the highest rated would be the more traditional bottle style 'trek' ones. Every time they have shown them, someone in this thread says 'thats better, more of this please' and we never get it.
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 14:56:09 2,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's the thing. The fuckers(show writers) know exactly what we want but always seem to fuck it up with some random forced emo bullshit.

The whole of "the burn" thing ultimately turned out to be said forced emo bullshit when it could have been something far more interesting.

There were *almost* entire episodes in S3 of discovery without Burnham and it felt like the show was moving in the right direction and then at the end of the episode Burnham crywanks all over it.

That is what's infuriating, it's not just shit, it's diamond encrusted shit or shit encrusted diamond.
  • Saul_Iscariot 7 Apr 2021 15:12:10 4,317 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @General_Martok I think it is the latter. The potential for a great show is there, it just needs to break free from the clagons.
  • nickthegun 7 Apr 2021 15:34:44 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    The whole of "the burn" thing ultimately turned out to be said forced emo bullshit when it could have been something far more interesting.
    Hah, yeah, having the cause of the burn be 'a boy was sad' is genuinely laughable.
  • Dirtbox 7 Apr 2021 15:49:12 92,347 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The reason they don't do many bottle episodes is because they're trying to keep people subscribed to their shit streaming service in the US. Picard and Discovery are their only exclusive big budget shows.

The backward logic is focusing on keeping people hooked on an arc, forgetting that people don't give a fuck about them, they want a comfort zone that you can only find in stability.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:50:44 07-04-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 16:18:56 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the series 3 Federation arc could have been a great framing narrative for bottle and serialised episodes but somehow it turned Burnham as first officer (and less) being able to overrule her captain and the admiral running all of starfleet through crying and shouting.

Saru being sidelined and only commanding the ship with her permission was a bummer because his three series arc was one of the few pieces of character growth that seemed to have received consistent progress

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 16:19:08 07-04-2021
  • RGeefe 7 Apr 2021 16:27:50 1,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would still like to see an arc where we watch a Lt get promoted to captain over the course of 3 series. It gives a wider arc but allows for bottle episodes. I actually would like a 12 ep series broken up into, say, a couple of 3 parters and bottle eps.
  • RGeefe 7 Apr 2021 16:27:52 1,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.