Following Star Trek Page 287

• simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 16:36:54 17,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What about an Ensign promoted to first officer on the basis of being one of the only characters with a name?
  • Technoishmatt 7 Apr 2021 17:27:50 5,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of the strongest ST NG era episodes have a huge amount of heart / emotions in it. Maybe they are trying to capture those. But Disco still massively fails as they hardly give you much to care about, even though with the longer arc it should be easier.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Apr 2021 16:34:33 5,196 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    slightly better trailer

Tron Legacy Trailer edit trailer for STD s4
    https://youtu.be/lNC9c2Xb_64
  • Nazo 8 Apr 2021 16:41:58 1,781 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Some of the strongest ST NG era episodes have a huge amount of heart / emotions in it. Maybe they are trying to capture those. But Disco still massively fails as they hardly give you much to care about, even though with the longer arc it should be easier.
    Maybe the constant crying in Discovery is like a canned laughter track in a crap comedy that signals something is supposed to be funny. If it wasn't there no-one would know which scenes are supposed to be moving.
  • General_Martok 10 Apr 2021 11:35:41 2,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New film scheduled for June 2023.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2021/04/paramount-schedules-new-star-trek-film-for-june-2023/
  • drhickman1983 10 Apr 2021 13:03:56 7,515 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Maybe the constant crying in Discovery is like a canned laughter track in a crap comedy that signals something is supposed to be funny. If it wasn't there no-one would know which scenes are supposed to be moving.
    That's kind of the problem with Disco. It's not that the characters are emotional as such, it's that the emotion is entirely unearned. Rather than making us empathise and care about the characters by having good writing, they just go through the mechanics - showing people crying, slightly over dramatic music swelling.

It really is the equivalent of canned laughter in that regard.
  • Technoishmatt 10 Apr 2021 14:47:56 5,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DS9 even got a few tears for the old man writer Jake episode (trying to save the Sisko), and Jake was. Up until then otherwise pretty unlikable (I guess it was a diff actor for old Jake). And the Worf / Jadzia stuck in a jungle.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Apr 2021 15:00:03 17,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DS9 made me like and feel for Troi’s mum
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Apr 2021 15:08:56 14,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would you fuck her?
  • Technoishmatt 10 Apr 2021 15:45:57 5,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    DS9 made me like and feel for Troi’s mum
    Indeed!
  • creepiest-lizard 10 Apr 2021 15:52:09 2,398 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not even ds9 could make her any less skin crawlingly annoying. She even made me hate Odo a little bit for that one episode.
  • Bambot 10 Apr 2021 18:35:31 2,050 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    I have heard a rumour that Q will enlist Picardy help to deal with a threat from Star Fleets past and future. A crew of mostly unidentifiable people, led by a messiah like figure that turn excitement into entropy need to be eradicated from the timeline. Somehow it crosses over with Discovery, but I cannot see how they fit into that description.
    Seeing as Picard is now dead, and the robot they keep insisting is 'as good as' Picard is quite simply not Picard, I'm out. The series was a mess to begin with, and now their main character is dead.
  • captbirdseye 10 Apr 2021 18:55:24 10,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Paramount just announced a new Trek film due in 2023. No director or what universe yet.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Apr 2021 19:00:47 17,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Not even ds9 could make her any less skin crawlingly annoying. She even made me hate Odo a little bit for that one episode.
    C’mon the revelation that she lost a child and then her relationship with Odo just casts such a long tragic shadow over her previous actions. Pursuing cheap thrills and men as a way to fill the emptiness in her heart
  • BreadBinLidHero 10 Apr 2021 20:37:39 10,587 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I cry for Homn.
  • RGeefe 10 Apr 2021 20:49:49 1,964 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lwaxana had a pretty sad arc
  • Dirtbox 11 Apr 2021 04:49:41 92,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Paramount just announced a new Trek film due in 2023. No director or what universe yet.
    The whatever universe was canned, only the prime universe and it's mirror exists now.
  • IRWATWO 11 Apr 2021 09:19:15 1,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @creepiest-lizard

The one in the (turbo)lift? It was about 2 people who had spent their lives learning to live behind a facade, being forced to drop their defences and be honest with each other. Watch it again and don't forget your soul this time :)
  • creepiest-lizard 11 Apr 2021 09:24:42 2,398 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @IRWATWO
    Nah, good writing couldnt save the shit character.
    I havent seen that episode in years as its one I usually skip if I rewatch ds9 but that bit when she holds Odo (in slop form) in her dress stands out in my memory as particularly nauseating.
  • IRWATWO 11 Apr 2021 09:27:01 1,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    C’mon the revelation that she lost a child and then her relationship with Odo just casts such a long tragic shadow over her previous actions. Pursuing cheap thrills and men as a way to fill the emptiness in her heart
    The episode about Trois sister taught me a lot about perspective. First time round I was bored and disappointed, wanted some wham-bam with the Romulans or evil space ghosts or whatever, so an episode like that was just boring.
    Watch it again, as an adult and parent, as she fights so hard to not even acknowledge the existence of a dead child, so impossible is it to bear ...
  • IRWATWO 11 Apr 2021 09:27:48 1,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @IRWATWO
    Nah, good writing couldnt save the shit character.
    I havent seen that episode in years as its one I usually skip if I rewatch ds9 but that bit when she holds Odo (in slop form) in her dress stands out in my memory as particularly nauseating.
    There was nowhere else to put him :)
  • General_Martok 11 Apr 2021 10:51:11 2,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    The whatever universe was canned, only the prime universe and it's mirror exists now.
    What a shame. 😝
  • General_Martok 11 Apr 2021 10:56:02 2,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    What a shame. 😝
    That said, Discovery did make the Kelvin timeline/universe canon by referencing it in season 3 when Mr whoever the fuck with glasses mentioned the Romulan mining ship.

Doesn't matter. It can be canon and never be mentioned again. Like species 8472.
  • RyanDS 14 Apr 2021 11:29:47 13,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmmm...

From an interview w/ Akiva Goldsman, writer-producer for Trek on the topic of Picard:

Q: “what did you guys learn from the first season in terms of pulling off the show that you’re bringing into season two?”

A: “Figure out the end earlier. If you're going to do a serialized show, you have the whole story before you start shooting.”
  • creepiest-lizard 14 Apr 2021 11:38:30 2,398 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking hell. I mean its obvious they dont do that but surely thats how it should always work?
  • General_Martok 14 Apr 2021 11:53:53 2,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You thick fucks is all I have to say to them.
  • Dirtbox 14 Apr 2021 13:15:20 92,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Shame they still haven't twigged that no one gives a fuck about serialised shows when it comes to trek.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 13:23:28 17,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess that helps explain why the ending of Picard was literally just ripped straight from Mass Effect
  • RGeefe 14 Apr 2021 13:39:01 1,964 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jesus fucking christ. It's not like serialised TV is a new thing. It's at least 2 decades old, at this point.

In the old days, I know they'd start shooting the first few episodes while the later ones were being written but does he not see why serialised shows have about 10 fewer episodes than traditional episodic ones?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.