Migraine Page 4

Next Last
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 7 Apr 2020 16:02:33 261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When I was a teenager I had very "classic" migraine symptoms: that uniquely nauseating headache, light sensitivity etc etc.

It's kind of evolved over the years to where I still have an unpleasant headache, but it's mainly as though bits of my brain just stop working for a while. Common words feel alien in my mind, I can't remember - for example - a person's surname no matter how hard I try, my grammar module stops working and so on.

The triggers have changed as well. The classic things like flickering lights are still there, but I now can't even look at a simple pen-and-paper optical illusion without going off. I thought I was going to end up on life support the first time I used a 3DS.

Weird stuff. It's more like temporary (I hope...) brain injury. Good times!

Edited by Bedders at 16:06:14 07-04-2020
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2020 16:03:41 94,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Ow and for me it has not been stress directly, rather going from stress to a relaxed state may cause it. Like say on Saturday after a stressful week.
    Very interesting. My stress headaches come on from about 5/6pm after finishing work trying to wind down.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 7 Apr 2020 16:14:35 2,765 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Ow and for me it has not been stress directly, rather going from stress to a relaxed state may cause it. Like say on Saturday after a stressful week.
    Very interesting. My stress headaches come on from about 5/6pm after finishing work trying to wind down.
    It's definitely a trigger for me.
    They're usually the worst ones tbh.
  • Fake_Blood 7 Apr 2020 16:18:37 10,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I had them worst as a kid from about 7-13/14. My mum took me to a quack to diagnose the trigger. Potatoes and tomatoes apparently. Proper nonsense. Like others, a vom and sleep are the only things that work.
    Yes, I've been there too. Tried to avoid cheese, chocolate, had to keep a diary of what I ate the day before an attack, it's load of bs imo.
    On the other hand, I do have to watch out for my blood sugar levels. Skipping meals is dangerous for me. And when I started with the Amitriptyline I did stop drinking coke. I still have some zero from time to time which seems fine.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2020 16:19:59 94,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, missing a meal is def one for me too. Forgot about that.
  • jimnastics 7 Apr 2020 16:20:08 1,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow thanks for the responses and suggestions folks, very helpful! Some great pointers to different medication to try. I too also get the build up of gas / nausea well before the intense migraine (though I can feel the headache coming on earlier). Then the vomiting strikes at the same time as the full on migraine headache. Happy days.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2020 16:25:57
    As has been said, stress is almost certainly the underlying cause for my migraines as I started getting them when I became a PM (not The PM).

Triggers for me are cheese, chocolate, caffeine and rapid changes in air pressure. Cheese and chocolate give me a migraine 24 - 48 hours after eating them, no matter how small amount. Worst element for me is the mood swings I get with them. The "pain" is manageable.

I can tell when one is coming as I will become sensitive to noise and feel very tired.

Not been able to find much that has helped. Magnesium seemed to help. Mostly its been avoiding anything fun. Exercise and meditation are two other things I find that has helped along with keeping hydrated.

Still get the buggers no matter what I do.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 7 Apr 2020 16:31:05 2,765 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For the nausea and gas build up, try popping some gaviscon.
  • Fake_Blood 7 Apr 2020 16:33:34 10,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best advice is to go to a neurologist until you find something that works for you. I've been on beta-blockers and some epilepsy medications before I finally found something that worked for me.

It's a complex thing really, it's a vascular problem, it definitely has something to do with stomach problems too, and yet it can be triggered by whatever annoys your brain, like a strong smell, noise, light.
  • anephric 7 Apr 2020 16:45:44 4,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to take anti-histamines for migraine, which helped a bit.

The only guaranteed method to get through the worst of it was have something to eat and try to sleep for a couple of hours, that seemed to reset my brain chemistry.

Trying to get to sleep with a migraine was easier said than done though.

I remember some of my worst migraine hangovers, which would last for days afterwards, Jesus they were horrible. I grew out of most of it by the time I was in my mid 20s, thank fuck.
  • drhickman1983 7 Apr 2020 18:19:15 6,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find alcohol can trigger migraines, but it's very inconsistent. Like I can drink a modest account and feel fine one day, then do the same a week later and feel shit.

Lack of food can also be a trigger and lack of sleep.

I don't really get the visual auras, but I find myself getting cravings for greasy salty food sometimes. And I yawn a lot in the aura phase.

Migralieve works well for me, but a combo of ibuprofen and paracetamol can also have good results (though possibly not advisable medically)

Even so there are times when I will just need to lie down. Darkness helps, but I find listening to the TV helps take my mind away from the pain. If I lie in silence I just focus on the pain, but listening to something at low volume, something gentle, can help I find
  • EMarkM 7 Apr 2020 18:28:57 4,945 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My migraines pretty much stopped the week that my GP discovered that I had high blood pressure and started me on Ramipril.

I have no idea if this is useful to anyone else or not.

As a child, PESís puking and sleeping method was my only solace.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.