Bastard Hay Fever Page 15

• SolidSCB 31 May 2020 15:36:53 14,913 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know what's worse, having a bit of a sniffle or feeling like someone has spiked me with horse tranquilizers. I just moved a mattress into the spare room and looked like I was recreating the sweating scene from Airplane.
  • Graxlar_v3 31 May 2020 17:22:09 10,848 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Started bad for me today so I've had a tablet and now I feel like I've just done a bong.
    I have been taking antihistamine for the last week, I have also been falling asleep every afternoon this last week. Still got itchy throat, eye and the ducking sniffles.

Hey fever is horrible
  • Razz 31 May 2020 17:24:54 938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    # Hey! What's wrong with yoo-oo-oou? #
  • ZuluHero 31 May 2020 17:34:18 9,756 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're looking kind of down to me?
  • SolidSCB 31 May 2020 17:57:26 14,913 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Started bad for me today so I've had a tablet and now I feel like I've just done a bong.
    I have been taking antihistamine for the last week, I have also been falling asleep every afternoon this last week. Still got itchy throat, eye and the ducking sniffles.

Hey fever is horrible
    Luckily I only have it extremely mild normally but today it hit me like a ton of bricks from the second I got out of bed. I've been nodding off on the sofa pretty much all day, antihistamines turn me into a diet smackhead.
  • richardiox 31 May 2020 19:28:15 9,519 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Felt drowsy as fuck all day - without taking antihistamine though. Anyone else get this?

Noticed on my weather app it lists today's pollen count as "very high" and I'm not sure I've ever seen that before, previously thought "high" was the max.
  • General_Martok 31 May 2020 19:57:18 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's nature taking back control.

I did find I was a little zoned out on Friday after taking loratadine for the first time this year.

Didn't happen yesterday or today though.

It's never happened before either.

Edited by General_Martok at 19:57:41 31-05-2020
  • gammonbanter 31 May 2020 20:03:48 2,191 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find that drinking black coffee (sweeten to taste) helps.

I've started thinking recently that maybe before bed is a good time to take the tablets. And then hopefully the next day you still get some of the relief. Must try it out!
  • SolidSCB 31 May 2020 21:21:10 14,913 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In my experience they are cracking if you fancy a good night's sleep. I always get pretty vivid dreams when I have them as well.
  • General_Martok 1 Jun 2020 10:34:32 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah it's happened again today. I think I might take it tonight.

It's strange though cause Loratadine has never had this effect on me before.

I've taken Cetirizine before and that's almost completely knocked me out which is why I take Loratadine when the the hay fever is really bad.

Maybe this is a bad/good batch of loratadine.
  • richardiox 1 Jun 2020 10:38:44 9,519 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @General_Martok

I'm the opposite, fine ish with Cetirizine but Loratadine knocks me for six. Weirdly when I was younger it was the other way round.
  • christourlord 1 Jun 2020 10:44:30 2,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Felt drowsy as fuck all day - without taking antihistamine though. Anyone else get this?

Noticed on my weather app it lists today's pollen count as "very high" and I'm not sure I've ever seen that before, previously thought "high" was the max.
    I was also very drowsy and heavy-limbed all day yesterday. I'm not sure if that's because of the pollen or just general malaise and lack of sleep though. I am also starting to get really scratchy eyes and the thick sinus sensation that heralds the beginning of proper hayfever season for me though, so maybe it's related.

Beconase generally helps if I take it consistently. I steer clear of antihistamines as they make me feel like shit.
  • General_Martok 1 Jun 2020 11:16:51 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @richardiox

Maybe I should try Cetrizine...at the weekend :)
  • MrWorf 1 Jun 2020 12:45:55 64,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Me too, loratadine is effectively a sleeping pill for me
  • Rogueywon 1 Jun 2020 14:17:55 11,038 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cetirizine works ok for me. I seem to build up an immunity to it after a few weeks of constant use, but it's still fine for the moment.

Loratadine has never worked particularly well for me at controlling hayfever, but absolutely knocks me for six to the extent it's hard to work after taking it.
  • Switch-v85 1 Jun 2020 15:11:04 4,256 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always get hay fever quite bad this time of year but yesterday was the worst I can remember it for a long time.

Cetirizine helps a little but properly knocks me out. Loratadine doesn't seem to do as much but I can at least function on it.

Been using the Beconase nasal spray the last few days and can breathe fine today which is nice. Still want to tear my eyes out though.
  • Lukus 1 Jun 2020 15:26:47 24,135 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I read this the other day - https://www.pushdoctor.co.uk/what-we-treat/allergies/hay-fever/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-hay-fever - which has some good, if kind of obvious tips.

One that stood out was to put some Vaseline up your nostrils to trap some of the pollen. I may actually give it a go.
  • Lukus 1 Jun 2020 15:29:00 24,135 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh and the diet stuff was new to me:

16. Choose your ingredients carefully

One of the best nutrients for hay fever is a flavanol called quercetin, which studies have shown can suppress histamine production. Foods that are high in quercetin include green vegetables, berries, beans and apples.

Eating foods rich in beta carotene (carrots, spinach, any yellow fruit) and omega 3 (oily fish) are two more ways to soothe your blocked nose and painful sinuses.

17. Try a new tea

If you like to start the day with a cup of tea, there are lots of options that will help you manage your hay fever.

Try a chamomile or nettle tea to relieve your symptoms, as both have antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties.

18. Stay away from food that produces histamine

Histamine is the chemical your body produces in response to infection. It causes swelling that protects your body, but in hay fever sufferers, itís released when itís not needed.

The last thing you want to do is make your symptoms worse, so you need to avoid foods that either contain histamine or will encourage your body to produce more of it. The offending items include pickles, cured and smoked meat and fish, cheese and nuts.

Some fruits encourage your body to release histamine and make your hay fever worse, so if your mouth feels tingly when you eat a certain fruit, this might explain why.

19. Avoid alcohol

While itís tempting to relax with an alcoholic drink on a hot summerís day, itís unfortunately packed with histamine.
  • Razz 1 Jun 2020 15:55:10 938 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Smoked meat, cheese and pickles discribes about 50% of my diet :-|
  • Red_Bool 1 Jun 2020 17:13:34 2,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    One that stood out was to put some Vaseline up your nostrils to trap some of the pollen. I may actually give it a go.
    A co-worker once gave that advice too. Especially if you're stubborn like me and still want to run/cycle outside: Vaseline around the eyes and around/in your nostrils and put on sunglasses. Works pretty well.

By the way, it seems that for me bright (sun)light trigger the allergic reaction. So now I'm also wearing sunglasses in the house...
  • Salaman 23 Feb 2021 09:58:41 23,988 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    January and February were suprisingly allergy free. Until the middle to end of last week. Then this weekend the temperatures shot up to 16-17 degrees and I've been dying since.

I checked the website that reports pollen count. It pretty much went off the chart.

https://airallergy.sciensano.be/

Thanks! Alder and Hazel trees.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 10:06:24 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    January and February were suprisingly allergy free. Until the middle to end of last week. Then this weekend the temperatures shot up to 16-17 degrees and I've been dying since.

I checked the website that reports pollen count. It pretty much went off the chart.

https://airallergy.sciensano.be/

Thanks! Alder and Hazel trees.
    Thank god I'm not allergic to them but next month will bring the evil birch bastard to try and kill me.
  • THFourteen 24 Feb 2021 09:07:18 53,952 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AAAAAAAAAAAARGH
  • BurnoutJunkie 24 Feb 2021 09:11:16 1,193 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Salaman Oh man. I sometimes get hit with the allergies in January but this year it was last week. I woke up at about 3am with an itchy throat. IT HAS BEGUN.
  • richardiox 24 Feb 2021 09:18:04 9,519 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Glad it's not just me.
  • nickthegun 24 Feb 2021 09:22:07 85,079 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Or me. Thought I had covid yesterday.
  • THFourteen 24 Feb 2021 09:43:42 53,952 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just had a couple shots in each nostril. Shoulda done it before i did the nursery run tbh.
  • Salaman 24 Feb 2021 11:01:26 23,988 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    @Salaman Oh man. I sometimes get hit with the allergies in January but this year it was last week. I woke up at about 3am with an itchy throat. IT HAS BEGUN.
    Yeah, they often kick off in January already. A few years ago I was at my mum's for the family Christmas diner and I was getting serious allergy sniffles and sneezes. It really depends on the weather.

I felt lucky so far that it took so long before it started but with the sudden change from artic to a balmy 16-17-18 degrees, it's quite the pollenxplosion all of a sudden.

Commiserations fellow sufferers.
  • SolidSCB 24 Feb 2021 11:40:33 14,913 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First morning of desperately scraping my tonsils with my tongue this morning. Here we go.
  • Rum_Monkey 24 Feb 2021 11:43:43 2,193 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I feel sorry for you true nerds with hay fever. Covid times everyone is going to think you're walking plague zombies.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.