Bastard Hay Fever Page 16

Next Last
  • nickthegun 24 Feb 2021 11:47:45 86,367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The real killer is WFH. I spent so long working in an airconditioned office, I genuinely thought I had kind of grown out of it but this last year made me realise im still, basically, allergic to everything.

I know I say it every year when the temps start to hit 30, but I really am going to have to buy aircon for the house this year.
  • SolidSCB 24 Feb 2021 12:00:14 15,688 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's horrendous. The idea of having the patio doors open while I worked sounded like a bit of a dream to begin with last year. Didn't take a day to realise I'd probably be needing to give myself a DIY tracheostomy with a biro at some point.
  • muddyyfunster 24 Feb 2021 13:05:20 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A few years ago I was working at an event setting up some equipment next to a pile of recently mowed grass cuttings and absent-mindedly coughing and sneezing away. A colleague saw this and asked if I wanted one of his antihistamines to which I initially said 'thanks, but it's just a cold'.

Then I had an amazing moment of realisation that I got a dry cough and cold in the same month every year... So I tried one of his antihistamines and all my symptoms miraculously disappeared within 15 mins.

Admittedly my allergies aren't bad compared to many (mercifully, I don't usually get itchy eyes), but it was a bit embarrassing that a colleague accurately diagnosed and treated me after 30secs of observation and a bit of common sense. I'd probably had 10-15yrs of annual 'colds' by that point.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 13:06:01 24-02-2021
  • Dougs 24 Feb 2021 15:03:29 99,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Haha, very familiar. Took my wife to diagnose my similarly mild hayfever in March-April.
  • Rogueywon 3 May 2021 09:02:45 11,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ugh, looks like today's the day the bastard pollen decides to get busy this year.
  • Salaman 4 May 2021 14:31:08 24,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You're only getting it now? You lucky bastard.
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 14:40:48 11,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Salaman I had a few twinges back in April, but it only really got started properly the other day. May and June are usually my bad months - it tends to settle down by the second week in July.
  • muddyyfunster 4 May 2021 14:43:28 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mercifully mine seems to have abruptly disappeared over the weekend. It's like the tree pollen tap gets turned off on May 1st sharp.
  • scott1987 4 May 2021 15:02:37 271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only started getting hay fever over the last few years and gradually it has got worse with every year. It got to the point where I know have very strong prescribed tablets to deal with it. The hassle is I take them every day and basically get a repeat prescription feb-sept.
  • smoothpete 4 May 2021 16:40:21 37,616 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nothing so far for me. June will probably kick my arse as per usual.
  • Salaman 4 May 2021 20:03:50 24,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    scott1987 wrote:
    I only started getting hay fever over the last few years and gradually it has got worse with every year. It got to the point where I know have very strong prescribed tablets to deal with it. The hassle is I take them every day and basically get a repeat prescription feb-sept.
    Yeah, I need to take a pill every day from sometimes December, sometimes Jan or Feb, depending on when Alder and Hazel decide to kick off the season.
    I'm usually off the hook by May or June though.

Which reminds me. I took my last pill this morning and forgot to call my GP today for a new prescription. :-(
  • smoothpete 5 May 2021 08:39:46 37,616 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Salaman What pill do you take? You can probably buy the same stuff from the chemist
  • scott1987 5 May 2021 12:18:14 271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I take something called fenofexidine, i donít think you can buy it in the shops
  • muddyyfunster 5 May 2021 12:29:31 1,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    Mercifully mine seems to have abruptly disappeared over the weekend. It's like the tree pollen tap gets turned off on May 1st sharp.
    Spoke too soon - last night was bad again.

At its worst I find I have to take the 'one a day' tablets twice a day to get any respite. Hopefully, this won't kill me.
  • Psiloc 5 May 2021 15:17:41 6,165 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I suffer with bleary eyes year round, I'm not certain but it may get worse during the spring/summer months.

Nothing touches it except Optrex Soothing Eye Drops. I've tried antihistamines and actual hayfever eye drops but they don't seem to do anything.

I don't really have any redness or itchiness. Symptoms are basically increased sleep in the eyes, or eye boogers as you may know them, and general bleariness that goes with it. My eyes just feel strained and tired.

What do we think EG experts, is this hayfever or something else? Googling has always suggested dry eye but dry eye treatments don't work either.

Optician doesn't have a clue
  • Salaman 5 May 2021 22:57:02 24,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @smoothpete It used to be called Telfast but over here it's now called Allegra tab.

I can buy them at the pharmacy without a prescription for Ä12 but if ring up the GP and they send a prescription, it's Ä5, so I usually do that unless I manage to run out in the middle of bad allergy period.
  • Worlds_ 5 May 2021 23:26:38 23 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    Does anyone have an itchy top of their mouth? Fucking annoying. Started a couple of weeks ago.

Worked out to take an antihistamine and now itís disappeared for the last two days.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.