Home Cinema advice Page 38

Next Last
  • Dougs 12 Oct 2018 15:54:49 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Basically, I'll never realistically save up. It's a case of doing it in stages or not at all.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2019 15:44:25 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd love to get rid of my rear speakers (20 year old Mordaunt Short Bookshelf Speakers) and replace them with something much more discrete.

I came across these Dali wall mounted speakers that look perfect (bar the price), anyone have any experience with speakers like that?

• Technoishmatt 13 Feb 2019 16:00:22 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nope, but I really want some KEF T series speakers. Think I will upgrade to those when I have my house.

Though - those Dali speakers donít seem that expensive (if they are good quality)?

Edited by Technoishmatt at 16:03:11 13-02-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2019 16:23:35 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Nope, but I really want some KEF T series speakers. Think I will upgrade to those when I have my house.

Though - those Dali speakers donít seem that expensive (if they are good quality)?
    No, I thought the price was per speaker not per pair.
  • gamingdave 13 Feb 2019 17:01:41 4,818 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I spent a lot of time looking at the Dali and the KEF when I was planning a new cinema room (which got scrapped when I had to relocate down south). I didn't get round to auditioning any, but did lots of reading and the reviews (not that there were loads) were generally positive, as long as they were used as intended.

The only real issue, which isn't an issue in a dedicated room, is once they are on the wall, they are fixed in position. So you really have to plan, and moving furniture around later could mean they are not optimally positioned.

I find with rears positioning to be less of a concern than fronts through, and if your amp/receiver has room correction at least distance will be less of an issue.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2019 17:29:33 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    I spent a lot of time looking at the Dali and the KEF when I was planning a new cinema room (which got scrapped when I had to relocate down south). I didn't get round to auditioning any, but did lots of reading and the reviews (not that there were loads) were generally positive, as long as they were used as intended.

The only real issue, which isn't an issue in a dedicated room, is once they are on the wall, they are fixed in position. So you really have to plan, and moving furniture around later could mean they are not optimally positioned.

I find with rears positioning to be less of a concern than fronts through, and if your amp/receiver has room correction at least distance will be less of an issue.
    I won't be moving furniture around and I have a Denon 4400 with the Audyssey room correction so should be fine :)
  • KnuttinAtoll 17 Aug 2019 09:20:08 7,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good as thread as any.

Own a dumb TV flat screen for ages and want to keep it until it breaks. However I'm currently using Harman Kardon PC speakers for sound and they've been bugging me for a while so am thinking of getting a soundbar to replace them.

Don't want to break the bank but at the same time sort of future proof myself for the inevitable TV upgrade, would anyone have any recommendations in terms of what brand, key features, etc to go for? Have done zero research so far.

Cheers.

Edit.. also wonder if there are any systems out there which make use of 5.1 soundtracks without actually having a full surround set up as I'm really struggling with audibility on Blu-ray's in particular - current 2.1 set up means parts are too loud whereas other things are difficult to hear so constantly have to turn up and down the volume.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 09:24:21 17-08-2019

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 09:25:18 17-08-2019
  • Derblington 17 Aug 2019 09:33:13 31,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have a Denon 4200 and KEF T-series 305. All works lovely.
  • Technoishmatt 17 Aug 2019 11:53:20 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Your speakers just suck.

I am temporarily using the cheaper of the Sonos soundbar, and it is really decent for the price. You could add surrounds later.

I will probably go back to my receiver + speaker setup when we move to a bigger place soon. I also have those kefs. But the sleekness, simplicity and quality of some of the latest soundbar setups really makes me consider them.
  • Technoishmatt 17 Aug 2019 11:54:41 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually, probably your tv mangling the sound mix. Maybe you can set the blu ray player to choose a stereo sound track?
  • lordofthedunce 17 Aug 2019 11:58:48 588 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yamaha YAS 107 soundbar works for me. It was recommended here a while back. Clear-voice setting is decent. The pseudo surround is OK. Didn't break the bank either. But it's only for TV/film/gaming use, not a patch on Sonos for music or connectivity.
  • Technoishmatt 17 Aug 2019 12:11:31 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And the sonos beam has amazon alexa / google assistant, so you can talk to it when you feel lonely.
  • greg_wha 17 Aug 2019 12:30:38 1,342 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    ...current 2.1 set up means parts are too loud whereas other things are difficult to hear so constantly have to turn up and down the volume.
    My semi old £250 Samsung soundbar and woofer suffer from this big time. Voice track and music are miles apart.
    Iím considering (99% sure) Iím going to treat my self to a pair of Kef LSXs for my birthday at the end of the month.
    Anyone own them by any chance?
  • KnuttinAtoll 17 Aug 2019 14:01:45 7,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Technoishmatt I know they suck, hence my post:) also want to declutter the TV shelf in the process.

Will look at Sonos. Re bluray player, I have a pretty lo-fi setup with a PS3 so no luck re settings. I've grown to live with it but would be delighted if new speakers would at least reduce the issue.

Not interested in spy gear at all so that wouldn't be a deciding factor. Just want decent and balanced sound output really.
  • gammonbanter 19 Aug 2019 13:05:50 1,801 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any budget center speaker recommendations?
  • Technoishmatt 19 Aug 2019 13:08:08 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One that matches the rest I would say.
  • gammonbanter 19 Aug 2019 19:41:21 1,801 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I've got Cambridge Minx's and a Minx 22 acting as a centre which is fine, but I'm starting to think I need a bit more from that area
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Aug 2019 21:35:42 27,362 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I've got Cambridge Minx's and a Minx 22 acting as a centre which is fine, but I'm starting to think I need a bit more from that area
    You really want fronts and centres with same drivers and sound, if not, as close as possible. So maybe the Cambridge Audio SX-70 or to upgrade front and centres, budget permitting.
  • Technoishmatt 14 Sep 2019 23:52:01 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OK - looking for projector & screen advice.

New house, the obvious TV space is to the side of the chimney breast. But it doesn't have enough space to go bigger than my current 49inch. Which means no OLED. I'll be damned if I can't do some kind of upgrade when we move to our own house, seeing as we will likely be there for a while!

Anyway... thinking through the options, and one thing I was wondering about is moving to a projector. We don't watch that much, just netflix in the evening really. Don't want the kids to watch TV for a long time.

I am thinking about having a screen that comes down from the ceiling over the fireplace - either attached or potentially recessed into the ceiling.

Anybody got experience with this kind of setup?

Edit: wall to wall is over 4m, so viewing distance will be over 3m. Thinking of a screen of about 100 inches in the diagonal.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 00:06:59 15-09-2019
  • Zomoniac 15 Sep 2019 00:25:09 10,035 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Technoishmatt Iíve got my screen dropping down in front of an artwork and two windows on my end living room wall. Practical and works a treat. Didnít go the recessed route as thatís way more effort than I could be bothered with.

Iíd much prefer a TV because of brightness, contrast and general IQ (decent 4K pjs are cheaper than they were but still very expensive for a good one, and short throw ones donít exist yet), but the only way my room can realistically be arranged is with the screen 5 metres from the sofa, so even the biggest TV would be barely visible. 120Ē screen does the trick but in all aspects apart from size a TV is much better.
  • Technoishmatt 15 Sep 2019 13:27:20 3,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zomoniac cheers, thanks for the tips.

I think we have found a compromise. We keep the 49 inch tv, but also put in a screen for special movie nights. I think my wife was worried about having a huge screen for watching bake off.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Sep 2019 13:36:27 16,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Technically there are short throw 4Ks that are somewhat affordable now. I donít know how great this is, but thereís other similar things.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/projectors/short-throw-projectors/viewsonic-x10-4k.html
  • ozthegweat 15 Sep 2019 19:06:07 2,275 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LG confirmed sub-55 inch OLEDs for next year, will probably announce them in the beginning of January '20, so not even 4 months from now.

After having had an OLED for nearly 3 years, I don't think I could go back to LCDs, let alone projectors. And I had both.

I strongly suggest you wait.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.