Home Cinema advice Page 2

• Deleted user 15 January 2009 21:25:14
    Just to be clear. If you were using one of these receivers with a PS3 would picture and audio both go via HDMI or would the audio have to go to a different cable? What's the best sort of surround at the moment, Dolby Digital?
  • kentmonkey 15 Jan 2009 21:28:41 22,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picture only as far as I am aware (I don't think that particular model supports audio over HDMI, deem should know for sure though). So the audio would have to go over Optical, if I've understood it correctly. Some amps only take picture over HDMI, whereas some do audio and picture.
  • Deleted user 29 March 2010 10:58:24
    blize overload.
  • christourlord 29 Mar 2010 11:00:30 2,658 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's really not that difficult. Just buy whatever you can afford that has good reviews and you like the look of. I'm sure my set-up isn't the absolute best I could have bought, but I'm perfectly happy with it and it works pretty well in the space I've got.

Don't end up one of those obsessive wankers who position their entire room around their AV setup.
  • yupyup 29 Mar 2010 11:00:35 3,702 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chuck a toaster in the bath and be done with it.
  • mrpon 29 Mar 2010 11:04:22 34,369 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    4 slice or 2 slice? How hot should the water be? How full? Do I jump in fully clothed or naked?

Try Sevenoaks blize.
  • chopsen 29 Mar 2010 11:07:51 19,995 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ideally, you shout set the TV facing the wall. If there is a fire place, just put it in front of the fire place. Obviously, you need to make sure the fire place is on. This is particularly true of plasma screens, as warming the plasma within the individual cells helps with contrast.

You should connect your amp to the television with an old telephone cable. Just get a cheap telephone and cut off the lead connecting to the headset. Keep the headset. you'll need to selotape this to your head if you even want to listen to anything in DTS.

As a media player, you might as well just use a PS3. Because it's wireless, you don't need to actually connect it to anything. You can just put it in the cupboard under the stairs to keep it out of the way.

Finally, speakers. You've got the handset from the phone, but you should probably get some stand alone ones as well. Don't forget to keep them submersed in water - this helps suppress resonant harmonics. You don't need to buy expensive speaker cable, just get some string. As long as it's green string.
  • JuanKerr 29 Mar 2010 11:08:46 37,708 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd go for these speakers and then build your system around them.
  • woodnotes 29 Mar 2010 11:16:08 4,967 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I'd go for these speakers and then build your system around them.
    Bargain :)
  • localnotail 29 Mar 2010 11:31:24 23,072 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Ideally, you shout set the TV facing the wall. If there is a fire place, just put it in front of the fire place. Obviously, you need to make sure the fire place is on. This is particularly true of plasma screens, as warming the plasma within the individual cells helps with contrast.

You should connect your amp to the television with an old telephone cable. Just get a cheap telephone and cut off the lead connecting to the headset. Keep the headset. you'll need to selotape this to your head if you even want to listen to anything in DTS.

As a media player, you might as well just use a PS3. Because it's wireless, you don't need to actually connect it to anything. You can just put it in the cupboard under the stairs to keep it out of the way.

Finally, speakers. You've got the handset from the phone, but you should probably get some stand alone ones as well. Don't forget to keep them submersed in water - this helps suppress resonant harmonics. You don't need to buy expensive speaker cable, just get some string. As long as it's green string.

/applauds

Sound advice.

btw we upgraded our surround sound this month to an Onkyo package and it's really, really nice, plus the remote control controls the universe, and everything we put through it. And as a bonus I have the old surround system on my XBOX in the games room too now \o/

amp
    speakers
  • chopsen 29 Mar 2010 11:37:14 19,995 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, serious question: does anybody have any experience of in-wall speakers? Mrs Chopsen thinks our wall mounted surrounds are ugly, and she does have a point. In-wall speakers seem quite expensive so I'm a bit hesitant on splashing out if they're shit. But then again, they're just surrounds so they don't have to sound awesomez. But also, I have to make holes in walls and all the faff that entails. Decisions, decisions...
  • localnotail 29 Mar 2010 11:39:10 23,072 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd say it was a really stupid idea. Knocking holes in walls to recess things usually is. Can't she knit them a cosy or something?
  • Deleted user 29 March 2010 11:39:22
    christourlord wrote:

Don't end up one of those obsessive wankers who position their entire room around their AV setup.
    I bought my flat based on the room shape, which is perfect for my system.

Both rooms :D
  • chopsen 29 Mar 2010 11:40:02 19,995 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    christourlord wrote:

I bought my flat based on the room shape, which is perfect for my system.

Both rooms :D

Same here. \o/
  • chopsen 29 Mar 2010 11:40:58 19,995 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I'd say it was a really stupid idea. Knocking holes in walls to recess things usually is. Can't she knit them a cosy or something?

Excellent idea. She can make them look like kittens or bunnies or something. I shall suggest forthwith.
  • localnotail 29 Mar 2010 11:41:35 23,072 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Those Onkyo things look quite nice in black actually, cheers local. 4 HDMI - just enough, seems odd that no where seems to do one with 5 HDMI inputs though, guess I could always get a splitter when the time comes though! Or even a lot of devices have passthroughs I guess, if needed.

next model up has 6
  • billythekid 29 Mar 2010 11:41:51 12,196 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Onkyo 607 has 6 hdmi inputs. Why do need 5 by the way?
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_ONK_607_&CAT=HCAMP&ID=17

PC, Sky, Xbox, PS3 are what I use, can't think of anything else.
  • Deleted user 29 March 2010 11:43:43
    blizeH wrote:
    The thing that put me off proper in-wall speakers is that it'll be a real pain to change them if you want to upgrade or if something goes wrong.
    I wouldn't bother unless you're buying some good ones.
  • mrpon 29 Mar 2010 11:43:46 34,369 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you have plasterboard walls then it's fairly easy for your installer to chase the wires behind the wall.

Mine did, and I'm very happy with the results.
  • woodnotes 29 Mar 2010 11:47:48 4,967 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

Still at the first step but my plasma screen seems to be melting? Is this improving the contrast and should I leave the fire on?
  • chopsen 29 Mar 2010 11:54:55 19,995 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Still at the first step but my plasma screen seems to be melting? Is this improving the contrast and should I leave the fire on?

Yeah, that's about righy. Throwing on some petrol might help at this point.
  • billythekid 29 Mar 2010 11:57:43 12,196 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure that this is going to be purchased soon: http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_DEN_1910_QAC_2000_51_&CAT=HCSYS&ID=1091
    Only nobody delivers Denon gear so I'll have to go and pick it up.
  • chopsen 29 Mar 2010 11:59:56 19,995 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    If you have plasterboard walls then it's fairly easy for your installer to chase the wires behind the wall.

Mine did, and I'm very happy with the results.

An installer? Oooh, I was thinking of having to do it myself. Any particular people/companies you recommend/which speakers did you go for?
  • Deleted user 29 March 2010 12:01:35
    Denon do some great budget stuff, well worth checking out
  • silentbob 29 Mar 2010 12:05:04 29,502 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Denon suck balls.

/also has Denon and lies

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.