Home Cinema advice Page 28

• quadfather 5 Feb 2018 11:49:28 31,036 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For some reason, that picture reminds me of Technician Ted on the Spectrum.
  • ozthegweat 5 Feb 2018 11:56:27 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Frogofdoom Does it matter if the fan configuration with two fans is "vent + 2x exhaust" or "1x intakte + 1x exhaust"?

I'm currently looking at this fan here, which has a fan controller with a temperature sensor that regulates fan speed (including turning it off completely).

Edited by ozthegweat at 11:57:24 05-02-2018
  • Frogofdoom 5 Feb 2018 12:02:59 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The best place you could have the exhaust is at the back as that's where both consoles expel their heat, however that only works if the cabinet isn't right against the wall. I would opt for one in one out rather than 2 in however if you have carpets/pets you will have to be mindful of cleaning the fan as they can pull in all sorts of shit even in a clean home. Apologies on the misread of the fan, they are usually measured in mm than inches so I automatically read it as that.
  • ozthegweat 5 Feb 2018 12:14:37 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Frogofdoom

Cabinet is not against a wall, there's about 50cm free space behind it. Also I have neither carpets nor pets.

I just noticed that the plinths are only 8cm high, so installing a fan wouldn't work there. I guess I'll have to put both fans as exhausts in the rear panel.

Thank you very much for your responses, you've been a tremendous help!
  • Frogofdoom 5 Feb 2018 12:19:25 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In that case go with vents top and bottom with dual rear exhausts, should be just fine then. My x and pro sit in a fairly tight spot but with an open front and they are ok so you should be too.
  • ozthegweat 6 Feb 2018 10:36:19 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Another silly question but you don't have under floor heating do you as that will bugger everything up.
    Just saw your edit. Of course I do. Damn. So no alternative to it being placed in an open cabinet?
  • Frogofdoom 6 Feb 2018 10:41:47 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It should be ok with the 2 exhausts I think especially with top and bottom venting. Only slight concern is the fans may be louder than you would like.
  • ozthegweat 6 Feb 2018 12:49:30 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay, thanks. Just to be clear, when you say vents at the bottom and the top, with top vent do you mean the vents mounted on the fans? Or an entirely separate, passive vent?

I've updated my schematic with a view from the front:
  • Frogofdoom 6 Feb 2018 15:24:21 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I will knock up a drawing in a bit which should be more effective than that one. Hopefully be able to do it in a few hours
  • Frogofdoom 6 Feb 2018 19:25:49 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    https://imgur.com/a/CwYMp

I would build the bottom of the cabinet as slats like a bed base, it will allow more cool air in than a sealed bottom. Putting it on either 4 feet or 2 long feet will give it more room to get cool air in (like a chimney effect). Inside the cabinet you should look to stand the consoles on rubber rings so they aren't directly sat on each other just to help the cooling a little. Hope that made some sense?
  • Technoishmatt 6 Feb 2018 20:19:42 2,537 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My air conditioning outlet sits directly behind my electronics, which are completely out in the open anyway :p

But when the kid arrives, I guess I should be thinking about hiding it all away?
  • Frogofdoom 6 Feb 2018 20:57:24 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hide the kid its easier.
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2018 21:09:07 48,188 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Technoishmatt

Depends on the kid tbh. We havenít particularly childproofed our house. Equally we never leave them on their own. I guess if they wanted to chew through a plugged in power lead they would have done it by now. We did strap the tv so it canít be pulled down. The skybox is there to be grabbed at. And the switch. And the Ethernet router. The eldest never been interested and the baby soon lost interest after a few firm NOs.

Edited by THFourteen at 21:09:33 06-02-2018
  • the-cozen-show 6 Feb 2018 21:54:44 247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    what's a sweet record listening setup for £800-£1k?

would need an amp and speakers. anything else? maybe a sonos bridge? already have a record player (though it needs a needle)
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2018 22:17:23 85,450 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When the kids were small, all AV stuff was in a locked glass fronted high cabinet, with a TV on top. Doors ha e since been lost but all is still in fact.
  • mal 6 Feb 2018 22:44:25 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    the-cozen-show wrote:

would need an amp and speakers. anything else? maybe a sonos bridge? already have a record player (though it needs a needle)
    If your integrated amp doesn't include a phono stage, you'll need a phono preamp. I'm not sure at what price phono inputs start in integrated amps these days, but last time I was in the market you had to fork out at least 250GBP for one, at least in Rotel. And last time I looked at least Rega were making a cheap phono preamp with USB outs if you ever want to digitise your vinyl.

But in any case, most of your budget should go on speakers. I assume you're going strictly 2.0 stereo in that price range, but you can buy some decent floorstanders from 500 quid and up.
  • the-cozen-show 7 Feb 2018 07:11:57 247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    thanks. I'll take a look on whathifi for speaker recs in that range
  • phAge 7 Feb 2018 07:46:26 25,487 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd also consider checking out active speakers that can take input from record players. Some of the better actives sound absolutely amazing, and do away with the need for an amp.

The Dynaudio Xeo 2 require a preamp to work with a turntable, but they sound positively out of this world. Check 'em out if you get the chance.
  • ozthegweat 7 Feb 2018 11:36:52 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    https://imgur.com/a/CwYMp

I would build the bottom of the cabinet as slats like a bed base, it will allow more cool air in than a sealed bottom. Putting it on either 4 feet or 2 long feet will give it more room to get cool air in (like a chimney effect). Inside the cabinet you should look to stand the consoles on rubber rings so they aren't directly sat on each other just to help the cooling a little. Hope that made some sense?
    Got it. Great idea with the slatted base.

Again, thank you! If you're ever in Switzerland I'll buy you a beer. Or ten!
  • Frogofdoom 7 Feb 2018 11:57:03 7,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Happy to have been able to help a bit mate, good luck with the project :)
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Feb 2018 12:12:28 22,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    the-cozen-show wrote:

Which record player do you have?
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Feb 2018 14:03:05 22,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My subwoofer is goosed, the manufacturer said that it probably needs 2 capacitors replaced.
    It doesn't look too tricky to do but I'm tempted to send it back to them so they can check it all properly although postage will be a fucker.
    Hmmm...
  • the-cozen-show 9 Feb 2018 20:37:05 247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear it's a project something. not a debut. it was from before they released the debut. I bought it off gumtree (it basically looks like a debut though)
  • the-cozen-show 9 Feb 2018 20:37:56 247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    this week's stock market performance probably wiped out this plan in the short term at least : / on the plus side I've just accepted a new job so......
  • IJ 12 Feb 2018 13:07:36 928 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I want to 'cut the cord' with Sky/Virgin as they're so expensive and I don't think we use it. But I'm a bit unclear on the best solution and was hoping you lot might know.

My wife works in TV, so it's important she can watch TV, record things, pause TV and series link stuff. So I THINK that rules out getting a TV with just a smart box (like Chromecast or Amazon Fire), as I don't think I can record stuff or series link etc with these? Also the live TV seems quite limited and shit, with a lack of HD channels.

I think this is the setup I need, but I'm not 100% sure:
    Normal TV aerial -> plugged into a Freeview PVR -> plugged into the TV.

BUT I'm also buying a new TV, and so that will have Freeview already installed. But while it does have a twin tuner, reading around it seems a bit limited. I have to plug a USB drive in, then I can only record one other program. But then the PVR's seem to only be twin tuners as well?

Dunno, have I got this right? I have to get a new aerial installed, so I'd love to just go the smart box route, but I'm not sure the technology is quite there yet?

Thanks!
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2018 13:15:45 62,995 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Simple question... can anyone suggest a half decent, but reasonably priced surround sound setup for blu-ray / netflix use?
  • ozthegweat 12 Feb 2018 22:48:46 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext Budget?
  • Psychotext 13 Feb 2018 00:22:52 62,995 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have no idea what these thing cost. I personally think it would be pretty ridiculous to spend more than say, £600 though.

Not least because right now I can't even work out a way of placing them in the new room.
  • Dougs 13 Feb 2018 05:44:33 85,450 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    £600 will get you a decent AV receiver and some entry level speakers. Which is pretty much what I have and it's great. Guarantee you'll end up looking for replacement speakers in no time though! Check out some of the reviews for the packages at superfi or Richer Sounds...main requirement is to ensure the receiver does 4k and whatnot imo.
  • ozthegweat 13 Feb 2018 10:16:01 1,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext First of all, don't get one of those all-in-one sets: the speakers are often crap (and acceptable entry-level at best) and you have no way to upgrade only one component (e.g. if some new HDMI standard comes along).

£600 is gonna be extremely tight for a 5.1 speaker set plus AV receiver, which is what you want to get. After paying for a receiver, there's simply not enough money left for 5 acceptable entry-level speakers plus an entry-level subwoofer.

You don't even know where to place the surrounds yet, so what I would do is the following:
    1. Buy an entry-level 5.1 receiver (with the latest HDMI standards) from a known brand like Yamaha. They all have basically the same features, so just get one if you see a good offer. This should cost you £200 max.
    2. Buy two entry-level bookshelf speakers, like the KEF Q series. They recently replaced the entire line with updated models, if you're lucky you might find some of the old models. To distinguish them they added a "50" to the new models. Look for the smallest ones in the line, old ones (Q100) or if not, new ones (Q150).
    3. Get some good copper cables (1.5mm2 suffices), the OFC stuff, not CCA.

Buy that stuff, and you have spent all of the £600. Get used to the better sound and the receiver. Now you have time to figure out if you like to proceed and spend more money, and if so, how and where to place surround speakers (if you don't know how, just ask).

Next steps would be, in that order:
    1. A massive upgrade: get a center speaker. When buying additional speakers, they should be from the same line, and if not, at least from the same manufacturer, so the speakers have the same sound (google "timbre matching"). They discontinued the KEF Q3x0 (so there's no Q350), you might still find a Q300, but if not, there's the Q600/Q650. The center speaker is the most important speaker of the entire 5.1 setup (but you need L and R speakers, hence why you should buy those first).
    2. Get two surround speakers.
    3. Get a subwoofer. Good bookshelf speakers look small, but pack a surprising punch, maybe you don't even want a subwoofer.
    4., 5., Ö 100. Buy a ton of expensive shit and ask yourself why you ever went down that rabbit hole.

Edited by ozthegweat at 10:21:40 13-02-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.