Motorsport Page 1174

• Graxlar_v3 12 Jun 2019 08:35:29 6,750 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Itís interesting to see McLaren have moved from the haves to the have not side of the table and are now joining the growing voice for more budgeting in the sport.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 08:44:13 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they realise that they aren't going to get another works partnership anytime soon. No other engine manufacturer wants to touch F1 with a barge pole at the minute, and I don't really blame them to be honest. We've pretty much got past the point where there's enough time for the 2021 rules to make any difference to the pecking order or level the playing field a bit, which is really sad for the sport.
  • DangerousDave_87 22 Jun 2019 17:59:17 5,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can see it all going wrong for them, but McLaren have just had their best qualifying in years.
  • RyanDS 23 Jun 2019 15:22:47 12,757 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh my fuck this is boring. Watching with 3 mates and literally two of them have fallen asleep.
  • Syrette 23 Jun 2019 15:24:16 50,231 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    2021 can't soon enough.

Not that I'm expecting much to change then either.
  • SolidSCB 23 Jun 2019 15:42:12 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If they can take Spa from Ferrari then they will go 21/21.

Without a shadow of a doubt the worst season of Formula 1 ever.
  • Psychotext 23 Jun 2019 15:42:15 64,985 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Welp, unless there's a crazy qualifying, or a chance of a wet race, that's the last race I think I'll bother watching this year.
  • mad_caddy 23 Jun 2019 15:56:32 3,612 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The sport is dead. Absolutely terrible.

I know it's supposed to be cutting edge, but they need to strip the vaste majority of the computer assists and pit wall controls from the cars and teams.

It used to be about amazing driving, controlling engines pushing the absolute limit of grip between the tyres and the track.

But every bit of tech they pummel into these cars has resulted in the shittest racing ever.

Add to that awful modern track designs and layouts and it's just vacuous drivel.
  • spurslol 23 Jun 2019 16:01:28 77 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    crap crap crap
  • Jono62 23 Jun 2019 16:32:00 22,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've lost interest. Worse than the Schumacher era
  • elstoof 23 Jun 2019 16:37:37 23,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Any MotoGP love in here?
  • AaronTurner 23 Jun 2019 16:57:35 10,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was on the edge of my seat with the problems Hamilton was having with his tyres.

Edited by AaronTurner at 16:57:44 23-06-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jun 2019 17:00:14 6,750 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I was on the edge of my seat with the problems Hamilton was having with his tyres.
    And his seat
  • Max_Powers 23 Jun 2019 17:06:07 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Eugh, this was sooo boring. Every race this season I turned off 5 laps in. Give Hamilton the prize already and see you all next year. I don't see how happy you can be as a driver too in these circumstances. Are you the best or only your car?
  • greenmekon 23 Jun 2019 17:24:09 515 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Totally agree, although some people have a go at me for saying that. There is a lot less action than in the schumacher era, no engine blow ups, accidents etc.

Regardless of who you support it is very dire at the moment, super boring. If it carries on like this f1 is in real trouble as there is so much competing for peoples attention these days.
  • RyanDS 23 Jun 2019 17:30:33 12,757 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Any MotoGP love in here?
    My first love. I do Silverstone every year, did thai last year, probably do Assen next week. Been a bit dull with Marquez so dominating the last few years, but Lorenzo fucking ruined this season last race for me. What a cunt, took out all title contenders and gave the season to Marquez.
  • RyanDS 23 Jun 2019 17:33:40 12,757 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:
    Eugh, this was sooo boring. Every race this season I turned off 5 laps in. Give Hamilton the prize already and see you all next year. I don't see how happy you can be as a driver too in these circumstances. Are you the best or only your car?
    I dont like the guy, but I dont think you can argue he's not the best. He is just so clinical and I honestly can't remember the last time he made a mistake. I think in a Ferrari he would still be winning. Just look at Vettel, he could have won many races the last couple of seasons but he just cracks and does one or two silly mistakes far too often and it costs him.
  • SolidSCB 23 Jun 2019 17:34:30 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't understand how anyone can still pull the "But Schumacher/Ferrari Vettel/Red Bull did it before!" thing. It's like they are watching a completely different sport from the one that is actually unfolding in front of us. Both of those eras utterly pale in comparison and anyone comparing them and not seeing any difference either didn't watch those 3 periods or their for/against bias towards the drivers who have benefited is seriously clouding the reality of it.
  • AaronTurner 23 Jun 2019 17:49:12 10,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldnít mind so much if Hamilton had a strong teammate that was giving him a tough time, but he hasnít. He has a teammate that thought heíd proven everyone wrong after winning one race, has he shaved his beard or something?

Itís so frustrating that Ricciardo and Alonso canít get top team drives when you see that.
  • JoelStinty 23 Jun 2019 17:56:41 7,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    greenmekon wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    Totally agree, although some people have a go at me for saying that. There is a lot less action than in the schumacher era, no engine blow ups, accidents etc.

Regardless of who you support it is very dire at the moment, super boring. If it carries on like this f1 is in real trouble as there is so much competing for peoples
    attention these days.
    I donít know man, I watch the odd classic race and outside the top couple of teams there are still massive time splits and it was only ever a couple of teams competing for wins. Refuelling added to
    the mix I guess so teams could go super aggressive on strategy but I donít think anything has really changed.

Paul Ricard ainít a great circuit for F1 to be honest itís only got one heavy braking zone and itís pretty flat out for the rest of it
  • Robospud 23 Jun 2019 18:23:50 37 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Max_Powers wrote:
    I dont like the guy, but I dont think you can argue he's not the best. He is just so clinical and I honestly can't remember the last time he made a mistake. I think in a Ferrari he would still be winning. Just look at Vettel, he could have won many races the last couple of seasons but he just cracks and does one or two silly mistakes far too often and it costs him.
    You can very easily argue he's not the best - the last time he had a half decent team mate it was Rosberg who beat him to the title. Vettel has made a race of it here and there in a far inferior car but it's inevitable that you make some mistakes when you're driving the wheels off the thing to keep up with the Mercedes.

There's at least half a dozen drivers on the grid who would have the same record as Hamilton (or better as they wouldn't have been beaten by Nico) if they'd been in the Mercedes all this time
  • SolidSCB 23 Jun 2019 18:24:18 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The reason there isn't a massive gap between 1st-2nd and the rest these days is because they conserve absolutely everything and very rarely, if ever, go flat out.

If Mercedes decided to go hell for leather at a cost of replacing a few parts through the season it wouldn't even be funny how far they are ahead. They have bags and bags of time in hand.
  • Psychotext 23 Jun 2019 18:30:07 64,985 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But that was his toughest race ever! The car barely made the finish. The guys in the garage were working overtime (on their victory plans and where they're going for their summer holidays).
  • SolidSCB 23 Jun 2019 18:33:36 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Verstappen has been the pick of the field since after Monaco last year by quite some distance. People are wailing on Gasly quite a bit just looking at his results but I think the reality is that Max is putting that Red Bull in places it has absolutely no right whatsoever to be at the moment. They've built a bit of a shitbox on the quiet this season and Max is absolutely wringing the life out of it.
  • eleven63 23 Jun 2019 18:36:11 2,494 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People still watch this live! Love F1, but this season has been dull (listen on the radio, it's now background noise, not sit forward). Watch Rush.
  • SolidSCB 23 Jun 2019 18:39:11 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    But that was his toughest race ever! The car barely made the finish. The guys in the garage were working overtime (on their victory plans and where they're going for their summer holidays).
    It also feeds into the "Hamilton never makes any mistakes!" thing. He has actually always had an error in him on the ragged edge but these days he can comfortably drive within himself round and round all day long without making an error because he's never going flat out.

It's the whole recency bias thing. Forgetting seasons like 2011 when he was crashing into everyone and going off all over the place because he was actually having to drive to the limit.
  • Robospud 23 Jun 2019 18:39:23 37 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I think Verstappen has been the pick of the field since after Monaco last year by quite some distance. People are wailing on Gasly quite a bit just looking at his results but I think the reality is that Max is putting that Red Bull in places it has absolutely no right whatsoever to be at the moment. They've built a bit of a shitbox on the quiet this season and Max is absolutely wringing the life out of it.
    I'd agree with this 100%, Max has been on supreme form for the last while. It was obvious from the start that once he started to mature he was going to be hard to beat.
  • Robospud 23 Jun 2019 18:43:06 37 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    It also feeds into the "Hamilton never makes any mistakes!" thing. He has actually always had an error in him on the ragged edge but these days he can comfortably drive within himself round and round all day long without making an error because he's never going flat out.

It's the whole recency bias thing. Forgetting seasons like 2011 when he was crashing into everyone and going off all over the place because he was actually having to drive to the limit.
    Yeah this for me is why it's different to e.g. Schumi at Ferrari - that was a case of a driver who had shown himself to be the class of the field for years, finally finding himself in a dominant car.

Hamilton regularly underperformed at McLaren, never handled pressure well, with Button outscoring him in their time together and coming closer to the title too. Hamilton was never in any serious conversation about who was best, it was obviously between Alonso and Vettel.

With an utterly dominant car that doesn't require him to push, and a subservient team mate, of course he's going to look good.
  • AaronTurner 23 Jun 2019 18:47:46 10,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the Red Bull is a surprisingly good little package considering the engine change. Gasly was matched by his team mate for the second half of last season wasnít he? And everyone thought his teammate was crap. I think Gasly needs to get his act together to be honest because I can see Red Bull pilling a Kvyat on him soon.

I think Hamilton is one of the best drivers of the generation. But then I think Rosburg is a very good driver too, probably part of Schumachers doomed return was being paired with such a strong teammate.

Edited by AaronTurner at 18:47:58 23-06-2019
  • JoelStinty 23 Jun 2019 18:53:10 7,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Robospud wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:

Yeah this for me is why it's different to e.g. Schumi at Ferrari - that was a case of a driver who had shown himself to be the class of the field for years, finally finding himself in a dominant car.

Hamilton regularly underperformed at McLaren, never handled pressure well,
    with Button outscoring him in their time together and coming closer to the title too. Hamilton was never in any serious conversation about who was best, it was obviously between Alonso and Vettel.

With an utterly dominant car that doesn't require him to push, and a subservient team mate, of course he's going to look good.
    Wow thatís one way to look at Hamiltonís career, not sure many people would agree with you there. Out performed Alonso in his first season, won WC in his second, managed to get results for McClaren when they went rubbish. Sure he has had a couple of indifferent seasons but so did Schumi, Rossi or any great driver.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.