Motorsport Page 1201

• HarryB 25 Mar 2020 17:28:46 7,626 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I've been playing F1 2018 on game pass. Is there a huge leap between 18 and 19?
    The 2019 demo is currently allowing you to play the full game for 30 days - I saw it announced by codies a few days ago
  • HarryB 25 Mar 2020 17:28:46 7,626 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    The 2019 demo is currently allowing you to play the full game for 30 days - I saw it announced by codies a few days ago
  • up_the_ante 25 Mar 2020 17:52:29 1,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @HarryB Thanks - I didn't know that. Downloading now.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 25 Mar 2020 17:53:52 2,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently not:
    https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/48548-f1-2019-free-trial-official-statement/
  • Nitrous 26 Mar 2020 06:44:17 2,022 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/937541/1/rossi-drops-out-motogp-virtual-race

This could be entertaining. Don't normally bother with watching virtual races (gt sport ect) but I'll give this a try as it'll on bt sport anyway.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2020 08:10:54
    I donít really get drivers playing MotoGP, yeah I guess itís a sim but the control schemes havenít been figured out for motorbikes. Iím presuming these guys will be using a control pad. Very different to car drivers racing in rFactor.
  • SnackPlissken 26 Mar 2020 08:37:30 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Apparently not:
    https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/48548-f1-2019-free-trial-official-statement/
    Oh.. I think I'll stick with game pass for the time being then. I see because of the interest in esports prices have rocketed up. Great times...
  • Nitrous 26 Mar 2020 08:39:19 2,022 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AaronTurner No getting round the fact there isn't much of an alternative to a pad for bike games. Id like to see some TT riders do something similar with TT Ride on the Edge 2 that's recently been released.
  • muddyyfunster 26 Mar 2020 11:38:40 110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AaronTurner Completely agree. It just means I'm not interested in the same way that I have no desire to see two footballers play each other at FIFA. There's probably still a market for that, but I would imagine most motorsport fans will feel similarly.

Does anyone know if/how the MotoGP teams run simulations and do their prep away from the track? Must be different to the four-wheel equivalent but I presume they must do something as it's got to be cheaper than going testing and test days are also limited.

I'd never really considered how they'd replicate the rider inputs. You'd think they'd have some sort of setup better than a control pad. Maybe they can base an esports series on whatever tools they use for that?

Edited by muddyyfunster at 11:40:59 26-03-2020

Edited by muddyyfunster at 11:41:10 26-03-2020
  • KD 26 Mar 2020 11:42:30 2,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @muddyyfunster Not sure on who uses it but this exists https://www.gp-bikes.com/
  • muddyyfunster 26 Mar 2020 11:46:42 110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually, I'd give it a try if they got ten riders in a studio using something like this: https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/arcade_machines/new_namco_arcade_machines/moto-gp-arcade-machine.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZrEz2_Jnopl0Ry4Zok_KG9EPP5KZ4ArYvrNxLDMiHBUPkuo0LSeAl8aAgA3EALw_wcB
  • muddyyfunster 26 Mar 2020 11:57:34 110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched a bit of the Team Redline race last night via Norris' twitch. Had a field of over 40 mostly professional elite drivers at Barcelona all using 911s with the same fixed setup.

Verstappen won and was consistently almost half a second faster than the rest of the field. I don't like the guy, but I have to admit that it was seriously impressive to have that kind of margin with everything equal. Lando said Max had been taking it very seriously and practising more than everyone else but still, it was a bit special.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2020 13:30:37
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    @AaronTurner Completely agree. It just means I'm not interested in the same way that I have no desire to see two footballers play each other at FIFA. There's probably still a market for that, but I would imagine most motorsport fans will feel similarly.

Does anyone know if/how the MotoGP teams run simulations and do their prep away from the track? Must be different to the four-wheel equivalent but I presume they must do something as it's got to be cheaper than going testing and test days are also limited.

I'd never really considered how they'd replicate the rider inputs. You'd think they'd have some sort of setup better than a control pad. Maybe they can base an esports series on whatever tools they use for that?

It does seem a very difficult thing to simulate. I think riders actually turn out of a corner rather than into it, it's the leaning that does the turning.
  • RyanDS 26 Mar 2020 18:47:37 13,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    muddyyfunster wrote:

It does seem a very difficult thing to simulate. I think riders actually turn out of a corner rather than into it, it's the leaning that does the turning.
    You actually countersteer and turn away from the corner to lean. Then turn towards the corner to bring the bike back up.
  • KD 26 Mar 2020 18:55:19 2,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That GP bikes game uses a steering wheel for your body, I tried the demo and gave up, I'd rather go on iracing if I'm going to learn soomething hard as nails.
  • KD 30 Mar 2020 20:15:31 2,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago

Jenson Button joinned it tonight.
  • JoelStinty 30 Mar 2020 20:57:17 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KD wrote:

Jenson Button joinned it tonight.
    Thanks for posting that. Havnít heard of Redline before. Just been watching the odd race through Broadbent channel.

Tell you what though, this enforced break from racing as done wonders for the E-sport scene.
  • JoelStinty 30 Mar 2020 20:59:04 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I donít know what differences there are between the two because 2019 was my first F1 game since 2015 I think, but it is great. The F2 cars are fantastic as well and are a great addition to the game
  • JoelStinty 30 Mar 2020 20:59:06 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I donít know what differences there are between the two because 2019 was my first F1 game since 2015 I think, but it is great. The F2 cars are fantastic as well and are a great addition to the game
  • AboutHalfaStevas 30 Mar 2020 22:12:17 2,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I looked into it a little while ago, reviews seemed to suggest there was quite a step up in visuals and AI. I've not played enough of either to add anything over that, because I stupidly buy games and don't actually play them.
  • SolidSCB 30 Mar 2020 22:45:30 12,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The AI is night and day from the last one. Genuine battles for position that don't feel like smoke and mirrors and you don't have to spend what feels like an eternity to find the 'sweet spot' in the settings to make the game actually feel like F1.
  • up_the_ante 30 Mar 2020 22:50:47 1,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Helmut Marko being a bit naughty trying to get all the Red Bull drivers to go to a camp and get Covid19 before the season starts. It would be a major advantage if the season only has half the races and your main rivals miss a couple because they've got to isolate.
  • KD 5 Apr 2020 00:43:55 2,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Strange hearing the chat in this video, loads of f1 drivers practising for Sundays race online.

• muddyyfunster 5 Apr 2020 11:38:06 110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @KD Ha. Watched his stream last night as well. Surreal.

Jimmy is a bit younger than me, but I could really identify with his emotions in the circumstances. He's very self-aware and likeable, in a way that many YouTubers aren't.

I got rather nostalgic thinking about how far things have come. Growing up with the Domark, Geoff Crammond, and Psygnosis F1 games, having licensed names and paint jobs (all be it two seasons out of date) as you tapped away at the d-pad was the height of F1 fanboy dreams. More immersion beyond better graphics, was inconceivable at that time.

Fast forward 25 years and we've got a generation of actual current F1 drivers using professional grade sim rigs, in their own homes, racing each other on a game live on TV. Just amazing.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 11:38:35 05-04-2020

Edited by muddyyfunster at 11:38:56 05-04-2020
  • KD 5 Apr 2020 14:06:42 2,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @muddyyfunster I found this afterwards, got a bunch of twitch accounts for drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/fv0lzg/charles_leclerc_also_now_has_his_own_twitch/
  • JoelStinty 6 Apr 2020 18:17:34 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The virtual Gp was pretty good last night. Think 17 of the 20 racers finished on the same lap (29 laps round Melbourne) and there was some good battles in the midfield.

Was surprised how quickly some of the first timers picked it up. Button and Albion were battling with Jimmy and Russell was a few tenths quicker. And considering how we know online racers normally go it was relatively clean and they seemed to have the same spatial awareness as in real races. A lot of cutting back and defensive lines being used.

As commentators said, definitely felt like more of a race last night
  • sport 6 Apr 2020 18:19:43 15,993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A few of them are literally racing at this moment.

https://www.twitch.tv/iamcharlesleclerc16
    https://www.twitch.tv/gr63 (George Russell)
  • KD 7 Apr 2020 15:46:30 2,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @sport Charles is currently streaming fortnite, sub only chat so guess they earning a little from this new reality we find ourselves in.
  • up_the_ante 7 Apr 2020 20:27:13 1,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @muddyyfunster I heard a few guys joking about Jimmy Broadbent living in a shed. I thought they were joking but I looked at a video from 2018 and he was showing us around his shed in his mums garden. He has his bed on one side and his rig on the other. He must think it is totally surreal being in these races with F1 stars who live in Monaco and earn millions. No wonder he felt like he shouldn't really be there as they were all chatting and joking in practice. Good on him though. He is very likeable.
  • muddyyfunster 8 Apr 2020 10:14:24 110 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @up_the_ante yup, it's a heartwarming tale in many respects.

I gather he needed to move back in with his folks for various difficult life circumstances that severely impacted his mental health. It really is a shed and the biggest juxtaposition was the other week when his 'team-mate' was Niko Hulkenberg sat in his Monaco apartment.

Jimmy got into sim racing, got a following on youtube, started getting invited to attend real-life race meetings due to size of his following.

He is semi-seriously competing in league karting and was due to race 'professionally' at several events this year after getting a proper racing license via a sponsor just before the lockdown.

I highly recommend his real-world racing videos, they are better than his live streams, like mini-documentaries. Thanks to some youtube algorithm I actually stumbled upon one of these first (the one when he was invited to drive a Mclaren). It's only relatively recently that I have started watching a lot of his gaming streams.

Circumstances have now conspired to thrust him further into the spotlight, but from what I've seen he thoroughly deserves his opportunities. If he can keep going and somehow find a way to win a real-world race of just about any description you'd think he'd be able to sell the movie rights!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.