Following Motorsport Page 1247

• greenmekon 28 Mar 2021 18:09:22 589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    greenmekon wrote:
    Different season, different rules, same old shit, give me strength
    Are you retarded? That was an epic race. Was genuinely jumping up and down at the finale.
    No I am not retarted I am clever person and a normal human being that has followed f1 since 1995. It was great that it was close, but it was so obvious that lewis was going to win.. How many times did we see it last year that lewis complained about tyres, engine etc and still won. Mercedes have got three weeks to sort their car and they will and run away from the season.

Edited by greenmekon at 18:17:26 28-03-2021
  • Nazo 28 Mar 2021 18:16:34 1,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Max is such an arrogant twat, as if he was going to get over 5 seconds in front in the 2 or 3 laps that were left. As talented as he is I hope he doesn't win the championship this year.
  • monkman76 28 Mar 2021 18:21:55 18,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    greenmekon wrote:
    It was great that it was close, but it was so obvious that lewis was going to win..
    It really wasn't. Interesting that you didn't say this until after the race.
  • greenmekon 28 Mar 2021 18:29:53 589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How many times did we see it last year that Mercedes moaned about tyre wear, engine modes etc and still won. They are super dominant and will win both championships. They give the impression of struggling, but they are so good at what they do they will win. I am not against Lewis or Mercedes, it is just that f1 is predictable since the v6 error.
  • damagedinc 28 Mar 2021 18:32:21 3,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @greenmekon coming out with some utter nonsense
  • muddyyfunster 28 Mar 2021 18:33:04 1,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Max is such an arrogant twat, as if he was going to get over 5 seconds in front in the 2 or 3 laps that were left. As talented as he is I hope he doesn't win the championship this year.
    Attitude aside, I think the bigger point to me is that if he'd hypothetically pulled out such a gap, it would merely highlight how stupid a 5s penalty for illegal overtakes is.

There are loads of situations each year where the car behind would gladly take a 5s penalty in exchange for getting by illegally.

Paul di Resta said he'd spoken to Michael Massey and been told yielding was the only acceptable option (the implication being Max was incorrect in assuming he'd have received a small time penalty).

Edited by muddyyfunster at 18:40:39 28-03-2021
  • up_the_ante 28 Mar 2021 18:34:29 1,539 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Every single driver complains about his tyres several times a race. It's just Hamilton's get played for the audience to hear because he's in the lead.
  • SolidSCB 28 Mar 2021 18:35:00 15,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You could tell after he gave it back that it was done, his tyres were toast. But up until then it was as finely balanced as you could hope for a race to be.

Real decider was Red Bull fannying around after Hamilton's stop and putting him 8s down the road. Too cute for their own good with today's strategy.
  • greenmekon 28 Mar 2021 18:39:48 589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    @greenmekon coming out with some utter nonsense
    Of course I am as I know nothing about f1.....
  • muddyyfunster 28 Mar 2021 18:39:50 1,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    greenmekon wrote:
    it was so obvious that lewis was going to win
    We must have different definitions of obvious. Max could/should have won that given significant tyre advantage, rumoured (minor) engine advantage, and three DRS zones to play with.
  • muddyyfunster 28 Mar 2021 18:44:49 1,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    You could tell after he gave it back that it was done, his tyres were toast. But up until then it was as finely balanced as you could hope for a race to be.

Real decider was Red Bull fannying around after Hamilton's stop and putting him 8s down the road. Too cute for their own good with today's strategy.
    Tend to agree. But it was only running so far off track that made that so. Both of them made mistakes that must have compromised their tyres to some extent as Hamilton also ran very wide the lap earlier.

Seemed like it was Max's second minor mistake in the right hander just after letting him back past that was fatal. That's F1 at its best though, when drivers are under so much pressure that they get twitchy. It's exactly the sort of thing that should be making the difference to wins & losses.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 18:47:05 28-03-2021
  • SolidSCB 28 Mar 2021 19:10:09 15,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's just the way these tyres are, they aren't cut out for ding dong back and forth battles. It's a cost to make up the ground and then you get probably one chance to make it stick and then they are shredded with the turbulence running closely behind.

I thought when Lewis went off he'd hit the cliff for a minute as you're not used to seeing him make an error like that in front.

Edited by SolidSCB at 19:10:27 28-03-2021
  • JoelStinty 28 Mar 2021 19:50:53 9,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fantastic race. Finally got to see what we all want to see. Hopefully it continues all season.

Max just needs to learn how to temper his emotions when it matters. Something Lewis as learnt to done over his career but itís twice (turkey) where Max eagerness as got the better of him.

Great from McLaren. Lec with a decent performance. Alonso started well, just as i thought he lost nothing he makes a couple of mistakes but good to see him back.

Bottas and Vettel start where they left of. Haas look like they wonít be near anyone this season.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Mar 2021 20:02:50 10,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Fantastic race. Finally got to see what we all want to see. Hopefully it continues all season.

Max just needs to learn how to temper his emotions when it matters. Something Lewis as learnt to done over his career but itís twice (turkey) where Max eagerness as got the better of him.

Great from McLaren. Lec with a decent performance. Alonso started well, just as i thought he lost nothing he makes a couple of mistakes but good to see him back.

Bottas and Vettel start where they left of. Haas look like they wonít be near anyone this season.
    Mazepin not even lasting 3 corners was the icing on the cake, with his two qualifying spins yesterday... did he manage a lap in anger?
  • muddyyfunster 28 Mar 2021 21:23:09 1,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 from watching his junior career I'd say angry laps are his default.

Tweet of the day from Jack Aitken:
    "Suddenly feeling a lot better about the 60 laps I managed in Sakhir before my spin."

I enjoyed watching him toil but the fact he essentially bought that seat to deny Illot the chance shouldn't be forgotten.

Callum would also be less likely to accidentally molest a friend or engage in a bit of light hearted casual racism, but there were go.
  • SnackPlissken 28 Mar 2021 22:18:21 3,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Itís just the same old isnít it. Overtaking in the pits. Great. Well done Lewis you managed your tyre and pits better.
  • up_the_ante 28 Mar 2021 23:03:39 1,539 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's 3 drivers on the current F1 grid who have billionaire fathers now. Mazepin, Stroll and Latifi. If asked to pick the 3 worst drivers on the current F1 grid I'm sure those same names would come up quite a lot.
  • Jono62 28 Mar 2021 23:05:20 26,859 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stroll has a bit of ability at least.
  • SolidSCB 28 Mar 2021 23:08:29 15,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Feel as though Stroll gets a bit of a rough ride being mentioned in that conversation. Sure, he's been bought his own fucking team and sure, he's not the absolute most talented youngster of all time but he does have a little bit more about him than people like to give credit for.
  • up_the_ante 28 Mar 2021 23:31:07 1,539 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stroll's not too bad. I'm just worried about the more and more sons of billioaires that appear in the sport the less and less a meritocracy or even the illusion of a meritocracy it becomes. And then even calling it a sport is a stretch. How many sons of billionaires make it as world class footballers, for example, where it's a true meritocracy of skill.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Mar 2021 23:32:25 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It has never been that, though. You can't jumpers for goalposts karting
  • up_the_ante 28 Mar 2021 23:33:29 1,539 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know we've had this conversation before BTW. It's just Mazepins selfish and disastrous debut has made it very apparent again.
  • SolidSCB 28 Mar 2021 23:47:22 15,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is possible to be heavily backed and talented. Perez is the obvious example. Mazepin unfortunately is on the poor man's Taki Inoue end of the spectrum. This has got to be one of the most pathetic debut weekends I've ever seen.
  • Jono62 29 Mar 2021 00:06:39 26,859 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, compare it to Yuki Tsunoda, who looks a very good driver
  • muddyyfunster 29 Mar 2021 07:57:37 1,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't believe I'm sticking up for Mazepin but even he's got more pedigree than some of the 90s pay drivers mentioned. I don't think this weekend is entirely representative. In F2 he was one of those reasonably fast but erratic types. He'll be a liability rather than just slow.

The three billionaire kids are all talented relative to the general population and good enough to have a pro career on merit. However they've bought queue jump passes to F1 at the expense of more talented individuals.
  • JoelStinty 29 Mar 2021 08:25:53 9,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair to Mazepin, the Haas looked awful on cold tyres and high fuel loads. Mick almost nearly lost it in turn 4 as well. Difference was one ended up in barrier the other didnít. Looks like you didnít even need to touch the throttle for it to go round.

Mazepin was decent in F2. I think he does as a little more than just a pay driver about him but yeah, Feel sorry for De Vries he was the one who should have made the jump. Or Zhou. But maybe a bullet missed with the way the haas looks.
  • SnackPlissken 29 Mar 2021 08:45:24 3,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Going back to the comments of amazing race. I agree the battle between Hamilton and Verstappen was great but how can you sit there and say it was a great race? The inconsistently of race control saying the car is allowed to go over track limits, but then it wasn't? Is it just Lewis being smart or Verstappen not exploiting it? To me that spoilt the battle. Then overtaking in the pits. I mean this is a bug bear for me because its literally like watching a football match where someone scores then sits back for the rest of the game. Sure its tactics but come on we need to get F1 into a better position and not the same old shit.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Mar 2021 08:57:05 10,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Going back to the comments of amazing race. I agree the battle between Hamilton and Verstappen was great but how can you sit there and say it was a great race? The inconsistently of race control saying the car is allowed to go over track limits, but then it wasn't? Is it just Lewis being smart or Verstappen not exploiting it? To me that spoilt the battle. Then overtaking in the pits. I mean this is a bug bear for me because its literally like watching a football match where someone scores then sits back for the rest of the game. Sure its tactics but come on we need to get F1 into a better position and not the same old shit.
    1) no one drove off into the distance, the undercut worked because Hamilton was keeping close enough to verstappen for it to do so
    2) we had verstappen chasing Hamilton up until the end, which was fun to watch and you couldnít tell who was going to win
    3) they played a radio message half way through the race from Hamilton saying not to go over at turn 4 otherwise he was going to get penalised - almost as a precursor to what happened, so I wouldnít say it was inconsistent (red bull were apparently the ones to complain)
    4) there was fun happening all over the track, with Perez getting fifth despite starting from last and there were some great overtakes

Mostly though it was a good fun race and no one got hurt.
  • JoelStinty 29 Mar 2021 09:06:30 9,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I don't think racing as changed too much to be honest. Pit Strategy as been the defining element of racing for as long as I been alive ( started watching F1 with Schumacher at Benetton, Hill etc). I regularly watch old races and it always comes down to the same thing. Pit Strategy. Just back then cars were loaded with different amount of fuel and then in the last 10 laps or so hell would break loose. It is probably the one defining thing that makes a case to bring back refuelling as it really opens up more strategy and it always exciting to see a driver on a charge.

I just think as we have gotten older, we just see it for what it is, rather than being swept up in the racing. Formula E is for me in that sweet spot right now. No pitting, just good racing on track.

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:07:15 29-03-2021
  • monkman76 29 Mar 2021 09:26:48 18,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On reflection it maybe wasn't quite as great as I thought at the chequered flag, but it was still a good race between the front two (how many times have we said we wished the midfield battles were happening at the front), and it had the added benefit of loads of intrigue with new driver line-ups. And it was the first race of the season. So yeah, more than the sum of its parts maybe. You misery Snack.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.