Where are all the good shoes ? Page 4

    Next Last
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 14:37:29
    I hope you had an opportunity to try them on first. That is a stupid amount of money to spend otherwise.
  • Pike 1 Sep 2009 14:40:26 13,459 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I hope you had an opportunity to try them on first. That is a stupid amount of money to spend otherwise.

    Indeed I did try them, or at least a similar pair, only in another colour. And yeah, it is a stupid amount, but I've bought so many pairs of cheaper shoes that just won't last more than a year or so, so I'm hoping I'll actually save money in the long run, by going for proper quality.
  • henro_ben 1 Sep 2009 14:41:26 2,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pike wrote:

    When I buy cheaper dress shoes they always seem to end up being worn out in about a year and a half or so. Hopefully these will be more value for money, if I take proper care of them.

    What the hell do you do to them? It took me over 15 years to wear out my dress shoes...

    I've just bought some of these, which have made me realise just what a good thing rubber soles are. These are like walking on ice, every step an adventure!
  • Pike 1 Sep 2009 14:44:44 13,459 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Pike wrote:

    When I buy cheaper dress shoes they always seem to end up being worn out in about a year and a half or so. Hopefully these will be more value for money, if I take proper care of them.

    What the hell do you do to them? It took me over 15 years to wear out my dress shoes...

    I wear them for work frequently, so they see a fair bit of wear and tear. On my latest pair, from Clarks, one of the heels is about to split in half, after about a year an a half.
  • henro_ben 1 Sep 2009 14:55:43 2,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pike wrote:

    I wear them for work frequently, so they see a fair bit of wear and tear. On my latest pair, from Clarks, one ofthe heels is bout to split in half, afte about a year an a half.

    Ahh... in that case I'm not sure they'll last you a huge amount longer, although the shoe itself should be in better shape and worth getting resoled/repaired as & when.

    I had a very nice pair of Bally dress shoes which I used for formal occasions and they lasted a good 15+ years. Wouldn't have dared wear them on a day to day basis though!
  • Deleted user 1 September 2009 15:18:40
    Pike wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    I hope you had an opportunity to try them on first. That is a stupid amount of money to spend otherwise.

    Indeed I did try them, or at least a similar pair, only in another colour. And yeah, it is a stupid amount, but I've bought so many pairs of cheaper shoes that just won't last more than a year or so, so I'm hoping I'll actually save money in the long run, by going for proper quality.
    That's good then, they do look bloody nice. The most I've paid is £160 on a pair that went out of fashion quicker than the sole annoyingly.
  • oceanmotion 14 Jul 2010 15:04:53 17,358 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What is with the pointy banana clown smart shoes these days. Why do I want a couple of extra inches on the bloody toe. Is this some fashion I've missed recently ?
  • Pike 25 Oct 2010 14:21:02 13,459 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't know if it's old age, but I just ordered a pair of brown Brogues from Loake 1880, a type of shoe I've previously shunned. Not as great as the C&J pair I looked at first, but a lot cheaper.

    Now I just have to get a rubber sole for them at a good shoe maker. Swedish autum/winter is not made for leather soles, sadly.
  • richarddavies 2 Dec 2014 14:32:01 7,761 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting Bump!
  • cjb_bjc 2 Dec 2014 16:49:11 2,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What the deuce?
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2014 19:10:05 30,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I like shoes
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2014 19:10:23 30,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I wear them almost every day
  • Dougs 18 Jun 2020 22:56:40 94,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @elstoof

    :)
  • elstoof 18 Jun 2020 23:16:58 25,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I ask myself this question daily
  • beastmaster 18 Jun 2020 23:21:14 20,909 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whereís the streetwise Hercules?
  • Your-Mother 18 Jun 2020 23:34:03 4,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Where have all the good shoes gone
    Where are the Cole Haans
    Where is there a Shoelocker
    With discounts on some Vans
    Why are there no Velcro shoes
    To make fitting easy
    Late at night I toss and turn
    Because Iíve ebayed my Yeezys

    I need a shoe horn
    Iím holding out for a shoe horn til the end of the night
    Itís got to be brass and itís got to be curved
    And itís got to be good for slip ons
  • Next Last
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.