Following Panzer Dragoon Orta?

First Previous
  • doomster71 23 Feb 2009 12:43:11 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone managed to get Panzer Dragoon orta (pal) working on the 360. I bought a copy off ebay coz microsoft said it works http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

But it crashes after level 3. Apparently the US ntfs one works with no problems though. If I got an NTFS(US) version off ebay would it work in my pal 360?
  • Deleted user 23 February 2009 12:43:53
    NTSC and no I seriouosly doubt it.
  • MasterNameless 23 Feb 2009 12:51:17 367 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My memory is hazy but I'm pretty sure I got the NTSC version of this when it was released and it worked fine on the original Xbox. I'm guessing it's either a fault with the backward compatability on the NTSC version or you have a duff disc...
  • doomster71 23 Feb 2009 12:58:45 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not the disk other people have the same problem http://forums.xbox.com/20099096/ShowPost.aspx I just wandered if anyone on here had got it working. And Boabg that's what I meant to type. Bloody keyboard LOL Thanks though.
  • Trafford 23 Feb 2009 16:18:58 8,117 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd buy it a third time if it came out on originals.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2009 16:25:32
    "NTSC and no I seriouosly doubt it."
    Well, my Fable 2 is a NTSC copy and works on my PAL 360.
  • oupe 25 Feb 2009 13:32:42 84 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will not work. Get a second hand xbox 1 for next to nothing and flash it to ntsc.
  • smoothpete 25 Feb 2009 13:36:10 35,035 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmm, I played the first couple of levels the other day, I can't remember if I've sat down and played more than that. So it crashes at level three? I know I started level three fine but then had to do something else
  • Irien 25 Feb 2009 14:04:45 24 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When I played it a while back, I had a crash around level 3, but if I recall correctly, loading the (auto)save allowed me to continue past that point. At the time, I remember thinking how important it was to make regular saves with the game. Admittedly, that's a while back now.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 14:08:42
    miiiguel wrote:

Well that's me shut up :)
  • Der_tolle_Emil 25 Feb 2009 14:12:49 7,307 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A lot of 360 games are region free - so it's no surprise that NTSC copies will work on a PAL machine.

The original xbox was not region free however and the BC isn't either so original ntsc xbox games will not work on a PAL 360.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2009 14:13:28
    Unless you're UID is miiiguel.
  • sanctusmortis 25 Feb 2009 14:28:54 9,914 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, my US Halo 2 works as well.

Sounds to me like someone needs an Xbox flashed to XBMC...
  • Retroid Moderator 25 Feb 2009 14:34:19 45,455 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    The original xbox was not region free however and the BC isn't either so original ntsc xbox games will not work on a PAL 360.
    It had the option just like the 360 does, just fewer games used it. There's a list somewhere (I'm not on my usual machine) but I know, for example, that the Ghost Recon games were region-free. I mention those in particular because the European releases were locked to 50hz which stops them from running under VGA on 360s.
  • doomster71 25 Feb 2009 22:34:02 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Irien wrote:
    When I played it a while back, I had a crash around level 3, but if I recall correctly, loading the (auto)save allowed me to continue past that point. At the time, I remember thinking how important it was to make regular saves with the game. Admittedly, that's a while back now.

Cool mate. I'll give that a try. I'm not sure if I set up auto save. Well I'll try it after the wife has finished watching her desperate house wives.
  • doomster71 25 Feb 2009 23:18:29 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that didn't work. It doesn't give the option for auto save. It still crashes at the end of c3 and when I use continue at the main start page it just puts me back to the start of c3. Oh well just wasn't meant to be I suppose.
  • evild_edd 26 Feb 2009 11:42:11 4,008 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seeing this thread (despite the fact that it's a negative thread about it not working on 360) tempted me to dig this out for a quick session......

......only to find out that I must have sold the title!!! Odd, as I hardly ever sell games :/

Thought I'd share my pain and confusion with you.
  • Irien 26 Feb 2009 12:22:04 24 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry bout that doomster... If I remember, the 3rd level is the browny-landscape with dragon bones and stuff, whilst the 4th is a golden desert world? By autosave, I think I meant the "level skip to highest level reached" feature. I'll fire it up this weekend and see what I find.

Don't suppose there a code to skip levels?
  • Retroid Moderator 26 Feb 2009 12:35:55 45,455 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    All the codes. No level-skip :/
  • doomster71 26 Feb 2009 14:56:01 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a level select on that page though.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, X, Y, White

I'll give it a try later. I just have to figure out what white means since that's not on the 360 controller. Thanks guys.
  • doomster71 26 Feb 2009 15:14:15 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mistake. That's for the original Panzer dragoon when you unlock it.
  • DB2k 26 Feb 2009 16:25:53 17 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have a pal orta on my 360 and it works fine. I am pretty sure I have gotten past level 3 too.

I will say I only had it working on my launch 360. It died the other day so I have a refurb from MS (no HDMI tho so its not new new) and I haven't tried it on that one yet.
  • doomster71 26 Feb 2009 20:15:30 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DB2k wrote:
    I have a pal orta on my 360 and it works fine. I am pretty sure I have gotten past level 3 too.

I will say I only had it working on my launch 360. It died the other day so I have a refurb from MS (no HDMI tho so its not new new) and I haven't tried it on that one yet.

Your the first person I've came across that as said they had not problems with the pal one. Everyone else i've spoke to has had the same problem as me. If it works on you new one let me know.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2009 07:53:00
    I feel your pain doomster. I've been dying to play this one again on my 360 so be sure to share if you ever dind a solution!
  • doomster71 27 Feb 2009 12:02:20 55 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will do mate. I'm tempted to buy an original xbox just for this. I can get one for 20 from a 2nd hand shop round the corner from me but I've no room under my tv for it (its bloody huge) not with my ps3, 360 and wii being there already.
  • Deleted user 15 December 2009 23:45:26
    I've just tried to play Orta on my 360 (last played it on the xbox about 4 years ago). It crashes back to the dashboard after level 3 :( Shame really as I was hoping to get to the end this time.
  • SomaticSense 16 Dec 2009 11:47:40 15,062 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    miiiguel wrote:

Erm, Fable 2 might be region free then. Doubt that Orta is tbh, seeing as it's an Xbox 1 game.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2009 11:49:44
    I just realised he said fable 2 and not the original.
  • xce1 14 Mar 2010 12:13:29 2 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Found a way to get past the crash/error on level 3 on the PAL game, it's not ideal, is quite a hassle and you will miss most of the story (doesn't show the cutscenes), but you can at least play the other levels.

First, you need to load a random level and just pause then retry the level repeatedly 20 times - basically you need to continue/retry levels 20 times to unlock the next step, you will probably already have a few. When you think you have done enough Save&Quit and you should get a prompt saying you've unlocked something in Pandora's Box

Now this should have unlocked Mission 3 in the Sub Scenarios section of Pandora's Box, the next step is simply to start this level and leave it playing by itself until you have amassed a total of 15hours of gameplay time - just leave it overnight or something. This is easy if you have a wired pad, as they don't turn off, but a wireless pad will turn off after a stretch of inactivity - you could try placing the pad against something so that a button/stick is constantly pressed (haven't tested this myself) and you might need to replace the batteries at some point.

When you have 15hours of gametime it will unlock the Box Game feature of Pandora's Box, this is basically a level select (with some extra stuff). And you can just start from level 4 to continue from after the crash.

Still hope Microsoft will fix this game, but I doubt it, so at least you can get a bit more from the game this way.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2010 12:02:28
    xce1. If this works then I want to give you a big wet kiss.

Just checked this out on gamefaqs and found the following:

=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=
    VIII ---------------------------------------------------- UNLOCKABLES
    =--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=

Plenty o' things to unlock, and Jill, the master of unlocking, is nowhere to be
    found. Gonna have to do all the legwork yourself.

=======================
    ORIGINAL PANZER DRAGOON
    =======================

There are two ways to unlock a playable version of the original Panzer Dragoon
    game for the Sega Saturn. Either beat the game a single time on (regardless of
    the difficulty level--any one will work) or amass five total hours of play
    time. Both are relatively simple. Check out chapter IX for more in-depth
    information on this totally terrific game.

===============
    UNLOCK BOX GAME
    ===============

Amass 15 total hours of play time (not including time spent on menus) or beat
    the main game on Hard mode to unlock Box Game, which allows you to play through
    any of the 10 main episodes with special conditions, such as increased or
    decreased statistics or different characters.

===================
    UNLOCK SUB MISSIONS
    ===================

Found under the Sub scenarios heading in Pandora's Box, there are five extra
    missions to unlock and enjoy.

Mission 1 - Beat the game on Hard mode
    Mission 2 - Beat Episode 4 on any difficulty level
    Mission 3 - Beat the game on Hard mode
    Mission 4 - Beat the game on any difficulty level
    Mission 5 - Beat Mission 4 (the one directly above this)

And there you have it.

=====================================
    UNLOCK IMPERIAL BOY (IVA'S SCENARIOS)
    =====================================

Iva's first mission is unlocked after beating Episode 4: Gigantic Fleet. The
    remaining six missions are opened up as you progress through each respective
    level in Iva's scenario.

===================
    UNLOCK ENCYCLOPEDIA
    ===================

In order to unlock the three subsections in the Encyclopedia found in Pandora's
    Box, you need to complete a few tasks. To unlock "Creatures", you must defeat
    90% of the enemies in any episode. The "Empire" option is unlocked by
    destroying 90% of the Imperial enemies in an episode (try Episodes 1, 4, or 8).
    Finally, "World" is unlocked once you beat the game a single time, regardless
    of the difficulty level.

=================
    UNLOCK EVERYTHING
    =================

To unlock everything in Pandora's Box, simply accumulate 20 total hours of play
    time (time spent on menus doesn't count). The best way to do this is to choose
    Mission 3: Enemy Attack! (in the Sub scenarios) and leave the game on over
    night. This mission automatically restarts, so amassing the appropriate time
    will be easy.

So the bit we're interested in is "Unlock Box Game", whereby you can select any mission individually. A bit annoying that you won't get to see any of the cutscenes and watch the story progress but it has to be worth a try.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.