Car buying deals and advice Page 3

• Dr.Haggard 18 Apr 2015 18:42:20 4,640 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    No matter how good it sounds and looks make sure you get it properly checked over by a professional mechanic before you buy it mate.
    He should be ok on that front since it's from a Honda dealer, they're fairly strict about the condition of the used cars they sell, anything they get from part exchanges that don't meet the standards they just bung off to auction. That's what Honda did with my last one.

I've had a lot of different cars but I'm on my second consecutive Civic now, I really like them.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 18:44:07 18-04-2015
  • robc84 18 Apr 2015 19:03:09 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    DanB24 wrote:
    No matter how good it sounds and looks make sure you get it properly checked over by a professional mechanic before you buy it mate.
    He should be ok on that front since it's from a Honda dealer, they're fairly strict about the condition of the used cars they sell, anything they get from part exchanges that don't meet the standards they just bung off to auction. That's what Honda did with my last one.

I've had a lot of different cars but I'm on my second consecutive Civic now, I really like them.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 18:44:07 18-04-2015
    Yeah I did want to buy from a Honda dealer for that reason.

Think I'll call back and negotiate tomorrow. One thing i didn't check was when the mot and service are due. Must remember to check that out.
  • robc84 18 Apr 2015 19:03:45 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Fair enough. I'm just thinking better safe than sorry. :)
    It's a fair point and i certainly would if it was an independent place.
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Apr 2015 19:11:09 4,640 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They should give it a full service before you pick it up really, but I guess it may depend when the last one was and whether it was done by them.

Which type is it?
  • robc84 18 Apr 2015 19:11:52 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DanB24

Nice one. MOT til October 29 :D
  • robc84 18 Apr 2015 19:14:04 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr.Haggard

It's a 1.8 vtec ES or Se i think. But it has the 'better' alloys, panoramic roof, cruise control, mp3 usb ports etc.
  • robc84 18 Apr 2015 19:18:45 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's this one.
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Apr 2015 19:19:32 4,640 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds like the ES, same as my last one, you'll love it :)
  • the_milkybar_kid 18 Apr 2015 19:20:15 8,032 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We agreed an offer on a 14 plate focus zetec s last week with Bristol Street Motors. They didn't have a picture of the car as it had only recently come in at Birmingham. After lots of tooing and forming, we'd finally managed to find out that it was the model we wanted. We can't pick it up until Tuesday, but my Mrs went to have a look at it and saw that it had a noticeable scratch on the passenger door.

She's already asked them.to sort it, but are we within our rights to ask them to do so? Don't know if it was already like that or if it's happened in transit from Birmingham.
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Apr 2015 19:24:35 4,640 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Absolutely, ask them to fix it.
  • elstoof 18 Apr 2015 19:38:20 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why do the dealers always slide the seats all the way back when you get a service done? Had mine done yesterday, after moving the passenger seat forward today I spot that the seat back has been crushed against the leg of the child seat and warped it. Now I have the potential headache of convincing them that they did it and not me, ugh.
  • robc84 19 Apr 2015 07:28:03 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok a silly question. How does it work with insurance when buying a new car?

Do you usually get a drive away insurance from the dealer for a few days or do i need sort my insurance before I go get it?

I haven't bought a car for 11 years so I forget how these things work!
  • nickthegun 19 Apr 2015 07:56:44 78,494 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you haven't already, find a quote, buy the product and tell them you need the policy to start at the time you have arranged to pick the car up.

I wouldn't fuck around with short term insurance from the dealer. It just means giving your details to another company and getting hassled to accept their longer term quote (because, funnily enough, I did the same thing when I bought my civic type r from a Honda dealer. They gave me three days free gap insurance and a quote twice as much as anywhere else for the rest of the year. Just wasn't worth the hassle)
  • elstoof 19 Apr 2015 09:02:56 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When I bought mine 2 years ago I couldn't get any insurance from a regular insurer as the vehicle hadn't been registered as on the road yet or something like that, had to get the 7 days free from the manufacturer then apply for normal insurance in that window. I had to sort that out myself, the dealer was a bit shit and didn't tell me much, only after getting knocked back by More Than did I chase him up. Wasn't hard though, just log into the manufacturers online portal, fill in the dealer's codes to prove I was legit and wait for a laughable quote from Allianz to go with my freebie.

Edited by elstoof at 09:53:12 19-04-2015
  • robc84 19 Apr 2015 10:49:32 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the replies guys.

Got a quote from my insurance co. Although i need to decide on legal cover. Worth it you think? (40 quid for both cars)?

If they offer drive away insurance i'll probably just take that and set up my insurance tomorrow or something. Just saves having to sort everything today.
  • robc84 24 Apr 2015 20:00:44 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was supposed to picking the car up in the morning but got a call from the salesman just now saying he messed up and didn't put it through its health checks so won't be ready til Monday.

Not exactly great service but kind of re-assuring that they are giving it a proper check before selling it. Plus they are putting a tank of petrol in as a good will gesture.

Actually felt really sorry for the guy who had to call to say he's fucked up. Must be an awful call to make. Luckily i'm very understanding having fucked up many times myself in the past :D
  • elstoof 24 Apr 2015 20:09:13 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Could've always pushed for a courtesy car if you need one over the weekend.
  • robc84 24 Apr 2015 20:11:17 13,755 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a second car which we need cos my company is moving offices in August.

So it's just a minor inconvenience really.
  • Pierre2k 24 Apr 2015 20:25:47 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On the topic of car buying advice, my Dad is of retirement age and as part of the new pension rules is planning on taking a 25% tax free lump sum out of his pension pot. He will still buy an annuity with the remainder and has already done his sums so can easily afford to do so and still have a good pension income.

My Mum unfortunately died a few years ago (cancer, only 52), so my Dad only has himself to worry about and was planning on spending a fair chunk of this lump sum on a "dream" car he will never again be able afford. Not crazy money like Ferrari / Lambo territory, but maybe 40k - 45k maximum.

For context, he wants something sporty so not just some kind of bog standard saloon, even if it is a fast one. He is currently think something like a Porsche Cayman, a used F-Type Jag (around 1 year old and it gets into his price range) or maybe even a BMW Z4.

Any suggestions / ideas from you fine men and women at Eurogamer?
  • superdelphinus 24 Apr 2015 20:44:04 10,087 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Pierre2k http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15443/the-best-cars-to-buy-for-50000-evo-garage

audi r8 or ferrari modena i'd get out of them
  • mothercruncher 24 Apr 2015 20:45:50 16,467 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Classic 911.
  • Not-a-reviewer 24 Apr 2015 20:56:39 5,788 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don''t take out the full 25% to get a car, take out the absolute minimum and get it on one of the hire purchase things. 5k and 400 a month will get you something extremely nice and he can get rid in a couple of years and get something else if he wants.
  • Pierre2k 24 Apr 2015 21:04:23 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @superdelphinus Interesting link. I was aware of the Ferrari 360 falling into that price range, but some interesting further choices.

I actually know someone with a Ferrari 360 (who has owned it from new). I don't exactly mingle with the hoi polloi, but it's a family friend who was never well off but made big bucks in later life. Anyway, it's definitely not an everyday car. My Dad needs something that isn't going to just be a weekend car, but his only car. 2 seats is fine but it must be something you can use regularly.

Things like an Audi R8 are cool, but my Dad also wants something that will have some reliability. Whilst I don't doubt Audi's build quality (I drive an Audi A3) I doubt he'd consider an 8 - 10 year old car. I'm guessing, but I doubt he buy anything older than maybe 2 years at most. He'd no doubt want at least some warranty cover.

I guess there is still some balance required between the "dream" car and it still being usable. The other issue with older super cars is the repair and servicing costs can be insane.
  • superdelphinus 24 Apr 2015 21:04:45 10,087 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    don't be sensible
  • Not-a-reviewer 24 Apr 2015 21:06:10 5,788 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Audi TT?
  • superdelphinus 24 Apr 2015 21:06:27 10,087 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    i wouldn't get a ferrari in real life because i'd feel like a twat. that's the beauty of r8s as well. Also i wouldn't consider the age of some of these cars in quite the same way as a bog standard car. look at mileage and service history etc. the r8 may be a violent beast, but it's an audi after all
  • Pierre2k 24 Apr 2015 21:06:53 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mothercruncher all suggestions welcome. Knowing my Dad though, he'd probably rather have a brand new Cayman than a used 911. He loves his fast cars, but by all accounts the Cayman is almost as good, but for significantly less cash (though obviously less desirable).
  • superdelphinus 24 Apr 2015 21:07:48 10,087 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    an s4 would be a pretty sensible one. bit of violence, well built, can act sensibly and a new one is about 40k. i guess there will be a new one pretty soon but i don't know whether the 's' variants are updated in sequence with the normal updates

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.