Car buying deals and advice Page 33

• KnuttinAtoll 29 Apr 2019 18:56:47 7,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, there's estates, and then there are estates.

/drives an estate
  • retro74 29 Apr 2019 19:29:28 2,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got a Volkswagen Golf R Estate, it's an incredible car for the money IMO

My wife has a Nissan Juke, it's the absolute pits in my opinion. Tiny inside, drives like it's on comedy stilts or something. Incredibly dull. She absolutely loves it and will probably get another when her deal ends

Madness
  • DrStrangelove 29 Apr 2019 23:07:18 14,376 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know why people keep falling for such unreasonable cars.

/saving for GT86/BRZ
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2019 23:12:50 78,322 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    My wife has a Nissan Juke, it's the absolute pits in my opinion. Tiny inside, drives like it's on comedy stilts or something. Incredibly dull. She absolutely loves it and will probably get another when her deal ends

Madness
    We looked at one last year to replace the wife's Note, which is also based on the Micra platform but the juke somehow contrives to be smaller than both.

But, yeah, it's shit. Just a jacked up Micra, so we decided on a leaf.
  • anephric 29 Apr 2019 23:20:36 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My missus's Juke randomly decides to not start a lot of mornings and Nissan have been fucking useless diagnosing it, even when it's been dropped off with fault log intact (and not wiped by the AA guy forcestarting it).

Everything else aside, it's a piece of shit.
  • anephric 29 Apr 2019 23:27:26 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had a poke upwards at work and fancy blending in with all the other cunts in the car park which is just a field of black Mercs and A4s. I've been considering a Jag XE because I'm middle-aged, bald and want to feel like I can still get my penis fully hard at least some of the time again.

I realise they're ubiquitous, along with the aforementioned A4s and BMW 3 series but I'd feel (slightly) less of a cock with a Jag badge.

Am I deficient in my thinking?
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2019 23:31:32 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I've had a poke upwards at work and fancy blending in with all the other cunts in the car park which is just a field of black Mercs and A4s. I've been considering a Jag XE because I'm middle-aged, bald and want to feel like I can still get my penis fully hard at least some of the time again.

I realise they're ubiquitous, along with the aforementioned A4s and BMW 3 series but I'd feel (slightly) less of a cock with a Jag badge.

What about an Alfa or Volvo?
  • anephric 30 Apr 2019 00:00:51 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unless Alfas are a lot more reliable than they used to be, I'm not convinced.

Volvos can just fuck right off.
  • IJ 30 Apr 2019 00:32:43 985 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I donít really understand SUVs, I think itís a fashion thing. I bought a family car 2y ago with kid on the way. Already had a dog so was all about boot space. So assumed Iíd buy a Volvo XC60. While a nice car, it didnít feel that premium, wasnít that different than my old Golf inside, quite plasticky and naff.

Anyway, checking online the Merc E class estate had a huge boot, so took a look at that. Completely different feel to the Volvo, much more premium, felt much fancier, more tech on it and same mileage and age it was 5k cheaper than the Volvo XC60.

Seemed like 6k for the fact it was a SUV. Made no sense to me why someone would buy that over the Merc. Youíre spending a lot more money on a less premium car just because your seat height is a foot higher? I thought Iíd made some mistake but nope, got the Merc and still donít understand it.

Edited by IJ at 00:40:45 30-04-2019
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Apr 2019 07:26:45 7,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    anephric wrote:

Whenever I think of Jag drivers, I think of Jeremy Clarkson. Sorry.
  • Frogofdoom 30 Apr 2019 08:15:23 13,684 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of the new jags are really nice, I think they have done a great job of changing their image. No idea of how good they are as cars though.
  • Dougs 30 Apr 2019 08:49:46 89,929 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Saw a Yeti in the wild today (as it were). Eeek, that's a fugly car.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Apr 2019 09:08:14 7,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let me explain my jibe above:

True story, while commuting on the M25 a few years back I noticed a white Jag XK R-S (the one with the silly wing) driving around 60 and getting ready to get off the motorway.

I thought, what kind of twat drives a car like that. Had a peek while passing and it was a cigarillo smoking Clarkson. His head is even bigger than I imagined.

F Type isn't bad though to be fair.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2019 09:19:43 78,322 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Unless Alfas are a lot more reliable than they used to be, I'm not convinced.
    If you're leasing it, who cares?
  • anephric 30 Apr 2019 10:10:27 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would be buying.

I know, who does? I does.
  • anephric 30 Apr 2019 10:12:43 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I live one village over from where Clarkson went to his poncy school, and I also have a fairly enormous head, so perhaps it's fate that I should be twat in a Jag.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Apr 2019 10:23:45 16,424 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to work with Jag and got to drive most of their cars. They definitely have something a bit different about them in the driving to a 3 series of an S class or whatever. I think my main issue with the XE is it's just a very dull looking car, and somehow not in the understated-dull way a 3 series looks, but more like Ford Mondeo dull.

I think the other thing to watch with Jags is the electronics/tech side of them are shonky as fuck, if you care about that sort of thing.
  • Alastair 30 Apr 2019 10:31:53 23,700 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    anephric wrote:

Merc C class is lovely to drive. Nicer than a 3 series imo.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2019 10:36:36 78,322 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I went BMW over a Jag because they are far more expensive to maintain.

Pound for pound, the XF had lost a lot more money, so was slightly newer and better specced but Honest Johns good/bad section made for some horrible reading.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:38:30 30-04-2019
  • anephric 30 Apr 2019 10:38:17 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, the similarity of an XE to a Mondeo is a little unfortunate. That's what it is, though, a fleet car for sales execs to wank about in.

I've seen XEs look nice with a few customisations. I don't know. My missus is on at me to buy a used Maserati Ghibli because it's always made her knickers wet but she very much overestimates how much my raise actually is.
  • robc84 30 Apr 2019 22:42:19 13,688 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I showed my mrs the Skoda. She barely looked at it and said she preferred the discovery. I was trying to explain to her that the discovery has no space in the boot with 7 seats, so no where to put the pram, or anything else of note. Her response was that itís a 4 year lease and we only need the pram for one year of that then itís just a stroller. I mean for fuck sake. Itís not just the pram, youíll struggle to get your shopping back there too. Why not make your life easier and get a car that you can fit all your stuff in rather than a smaller one Ďbecause itís a land roverí.

Iím going to keep trying to get her to see sense but I think iíll end up in a Discovery Sport for 4 years saying ĎI told you soí.
  • SnackPlissken 1 May 2019 09:11:11 1,111 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why don't you look at the Volvo XC90?
  • robc84 1 May 2019 09:19:47 13,688 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SnackPlissken

Same reason I'm not looking at the Q7. Budget, unfortunately.

Need to get monthly payments at around £350 per month.
  • SnackPlissken 1 May 2019 09:23:36 1,111 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would have thought a Discovery Sport would be highly priced surely?
  • robc84 1 May 2019 09:27:16 13,688 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah, same price range as the Skodas, kias etc.

The Discovery (not sport) is in the higher bracket. It's also bigger.
  • arty 1 May 2019 09:41:17 582 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Those big volvos and audis seem overpriced to me.

Are the 7 seats for occasionaly use? If so Honda CR-V has just introduced a 7 seater option.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2019 09:41:34 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I would be buying.

I know, who does? I does.
    Lexus?
  • SnackPlissken 1 May 2019 09:42:09 1,111 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You must have found a decent deal, as a lot of the deals I've found seem to want a very large customer deposit.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 09:47:51 01-05-2019
  • robc84 1 May 2019 09:42:18 13,688 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @arty

Not really. Fairly regular use for a 7 year old.

I'll check out the new CRV, thanks.
  • robc84 1 May 2019 09:44:19 13,688 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SnackPlissken

I'm looking at used rather than new which may make a difference.

To be fair I think they are a slightly more expensive as I need to get one a year or so older to get a similar price, but they are not a massive step up.

When I went to a dealer at the weekend with a £2.5k deposit I could get a 2016 DS for around £350 per month.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.