Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle Page 12

• BeebleB 15 Feb 2015 20:40:42 1,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sweet, I've got tickets to see him in May, probably be a vastly different show by then..

Am very much looking forward to it..
  • fiery_jackass 16 Feb 2015 08:22:10 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Also, I just wanted to shoehorn in a FOF moon/stick reference if I'm honest :-)
    Someone shouted that at him at one of the gigs I saw last month. Five withering minutes later I'm sure she wished she hadn't.

The new UKIP bit is, I think, brilliant.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2015 08:30:26
    I'm going to his Brighton show a week Saturday. Saw his last tour there too (Brighton Dome, great venue).

I trolled him here years ago, in the hope it'd make his Fan Mail page on his website (it did, sadly no longer up there though) as I knew he likes a quick Google of himself now and then.

To be honest, I'd much rather go and see him somewhere a bit less middle class / pseud than Brighton, as I think he's much better when he's got an audience not filled with his sycophants who will laugh and clap along at pretty much anything.
  • Dirtbox 16 Feb 2015 09:55:11 91,951 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 16 February 2015 10:24:44
    And he doesn't get that much feedback for the bits which don't work anymore as he's effectively British Bill Hicks now and his audience will just love anything he does.

That said, when he says he's trying new stuff out, he really is. Due to administrative fuck ups, I saw Carpet Remnant World twice last year, with a couple of months' gap between, and it was vastly different.
  • Benno 16 Feb 2015 10:30:06 11,798 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm booked in to see him in York, looking forward to it! Never seen him live.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2015 10:43:08
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'm still not sure whether I like him or not. On the one hand, when he's on point, he's great. On the other, it can be an awfully long trip around the houses for absolutely nothing. And worse, you know he'll be driving around the block for another 20 minutes just to make absolutely certain.
    +1 to this. Even though he was brilliant to see, the first part on Saturday he did about Islam felt really flimsy, based around one core story that took fucking ages to get anywhere, the best joke about it was somewhere in the middle, and after that it all felt like an anticlimax until he moved on to the next section.
  • M83J01P97 16 Feb 2015 10:59:26 7,607 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has there been any kind of update on the chances of TMWRNJ getting a DVD release? I know they were 'looking into it' when Fist of Fun came out and that the 'chances were good' but obviously there has been nothing since then.

I need to relive the genius of that show again :(

Edited by M83J01P97 at 10:59:59 16-02-2015
  • Blaketown 16 Feb 2015 12:21:21 5,658 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's definitely not happening.

Herring has just been releasing all the Special Features they planned to put on the DVD as podcasts. He gave no indication as to why it isn't happening any more other than "reasons".
  • Lukus 16 Feb 2015 12:34:10 24,000 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The first series cost them  £50,000 to buy off the BBC to release iirc. I'm guessing they've decided the cost is too great. Or that there's a licensing problem.
  • brokenkey 16 Feb 2015 12:41:47 10,729 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    and Herring was £50k in the red after last year's Edinburgh Fringe.
  • richardiox 16 Feb 2015 13:11:59 9,364 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've got rips of both seasons of TMWRNJ, quality is pretty dire (got them off Kazaa in like 2003) but they're watchable. One of my favourite comedies, ridiculous to think it was live on Saturday mornings! On the beeb!

Great recent Herring podcast from Fringe with Stu as a guest, plus the bloke who did curious orange and Trevor, the man with the head of a tiny child.
  • Fab4 3 Mar 2016 16:30:01 8,924 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    New series starts tonight.
  • Reacher 3 Mar 2016 17:19:18 3,027 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rather looking forward to the new series :)

I saw him on his last two tours, they were incredible and I got to meet him afterwards. I read the other day that he enjoys doing the book table after his gigs, as he's purposefully overly nice which he finds amusing.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2016 05:03:48
    That was a brilliant start to the new series. So glad to see Chris Morris is still involved :D
  • Deleted user 4 March 2016 08:44:41
    I was laughing hard at the Graeme Norton award skit.
  • Load_2.0 4 Mar 2016 10:11:53 32,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    He struck me as having a massive chip on his shoulder, resenting other comedians for being more successful while not being as as "clever" and being a bit of a cunt on stage if he doesn't feel the crowd are absorbing his insight and sardonic wit.

I get enough bitterness from the internet I don't need it if I am paying to laugh.
  • Fab4 4 Mar 2016 10:14:32 8,924 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It did feel as if it was just a reworking of past routines.
  • Tomo 4 Mar 2016 11:11:26 18,835 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ok episode. I expected a bit more commentary on the Wealth stuff, but it basically turned into a BAFTAs sketch. Prostitutes bit at the end was good.
  • Reacher 4 Mar 2016 11:17:19 3,027 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    He struck me as having a massive chip on his shoulder, resenting other comedians for being more successful while not being as as "clever" and being a bit of a cunt on stage if he doesn't feel the crowd are absorbing his insight and sardonic wit.

I get enough bitterness from the internet I don't need it if I am paying to laugh.
    You've missed the point of it entirely.
  • oldschoolsoviet 4 Mar 2016 13:48:42 6,924 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That response is great. Almost as good as the show. Not as good as the final sequence (orienteering childhood) that brought laughs and memories in spades.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2016 14:02:28
    Load_2.0 wrote:

It's part of his act. A description that he often gives is that most stand up comedy is that it's usually very clever people doing or saying ridiculous things, as he try to project a ridiculous man trying to be taken seriously.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2016 14:06:08
    If his guitar comes out at any point I'm going to torch the BBC
  • mal 4 Mar 2016 14:50:43 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    That response is great. Almost as good as the show. Not as good as the final sequence (orienteering childhood) that brought laughs and memories in spades.
    Due to not realising this series was on until it got announced after the programme before, I ended up live recording this, and my recorder stupidly cut off the very end. Was there a punchline to the napalm death orienteering on BBC4 bit at the end?

They crossed out all of the boundaries, you know.
  • Load_2.0 4 Mar 2016 16:30:38 32,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:

You've missed the point of it entirely.
    I understand it is supposed to be an act. It just isn't particularly amusing.

Its the equivalent of calling someone a cunt and saying "just kidding" lol meta.
  • mal 4 Mar 2016 20:53:36 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Must admit, I did expect a call back to that bit at the start where he was saying he empathised with Norton, but instead we got that 'behind the scenes' skit where he'd misrepresented the name of the award category.

But I did enjoy it when the audience laughed at 'Premier Inn', and he went off on one at them. That's the sort of thing you go to a Stewart Lee show for.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Mar 2016 22:53:02 6,924 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Was in tears this week, great opening and that end skit......fucking Quakers. Last week's opening felt subdued in comparison.
  • TheSaint 10 Mar 2016 22:55:29 20,282 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does Roy Chubby Brown actually sound like Orville?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.