Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle Page 3

• President_Weasel 17 Mar 2009 01:42:17 12,355 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    cynical and fairly clever, or at least not "hurr hurr here's another catchphrase". Half an hour of my life well spent I reckon.
  • speedofthepuma 17 Mar 2009 07:29:30 13,428 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A lot more like Jack Dee in some moments when he performs solo. Tickled me muchly mind you.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 07:58:22
    Ahhhh, now that's comedy. I'm completely biased though as idolise him completely. The sketches were a bit flat, sort of reminded me of Dave Allen show, the sketches were a bit flat in that too but the stand up was sublime.

Kinda annoyed he got in their first with the misery lit stuff, I've been working on a routine about them for months, only to see Lee do it really fucking well. Ah well.

Any way to catch this red button business? I'm at work when this is on :(
  • shamblemonkee 17 Mar 2009 08:12:12 17,967 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought he was a boring overly cynical tit. Oh and he wasn't especially funny. The Chris Moyles dig was alright, gave me a bit of a grin, liked the so solid Crew disrespect and then he completely lost me with his Rappers on top of the pops ramble by which time he'd outstayed his welcome and i hadn't laughed properly once.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 08:51:13
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    I thought he was a boring overly cynical tit. Oh and he wasn't especially funny. The Chris Moyles dig was alright, gave me a bit of a grin, liked the so solid Crew disrespect and then he completely lost me with his Rappers on top of the pops ramble by which time he'd outstayed his welcome and i hadn't laughed properly once.

This, unfortunately.

I'll keep watching as I've liked Lee's previous stuff. Hopefully it'll get stronger.
  • chopsen 17 Mar 2009 08:55:17 21,192 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I recorded this but not watched it yet, but I've seen him live a few times over the last couple of years or so. He has a deliberately slow and drawn out delivery. Some of his set pieces take ages and build up gradually. Will be interesting to see how it works and if he's changed his delivery for TV.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 09:16:25
    Chopsen wrote:
    I recorded this but not watched it yet, but I've seen him live a few times over the last couple of years or so. He has a deliberately slow and drawn out delivery. Some of his set pieces take ages and build up gradually. Will be interesting to see how it works and if he's changed his delivery for TV.
    He hasn't changed a bit :)

Well, he has more props, but come on, hardly the biggest concession ever.
  • otto Moderator 17 Mar 2009 09:17:33 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It wasn't as strong as some of his political stand up but on the whole I liked it, it was all good except for the beginning of the rappers bit where he lost me rather. Banisters? Shopping centres? Uh...

Though he's right about rap being loads better when we were younger.
  • tombo 17 Mar 2009 09:19:55 2,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Was OK - the audience were obviously gagging for it, which put me off a little. With satirical comedy I like to judge for myself when to laugh, not listen to a load of people laughing to justify the price they paid for their tickets.

I think I would have preferred a few more jokes than around 3. Because he's so different to most other stuff on the telly (I don't go to much stand-up) he could afford to keep things a bit more crisp and he'd still get the reaction he wants.

But on the whole good, I enjoyed it.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 09:27:58
    I loved the rappers bit, mainly because I seem to have the same relish as Lee in seeing how far you can go with a joke, and seeing how many people are getting pissed off in the process. But also because it's such a good theatrical technique, when he goes on for so long, getting laughs and losing laughs and getting more laughs along the way, you really get a sense at the overwhelming banality of what he's talking about.
  • KingOfSpain 17 Mar 2009 11:34:30 5,309 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I loved the rappers bit, mainly because I seem to have the same relish as Lee in seeing how far you can go with a joke, and seeing how many people are getting pissed off in the process. But also because it's such a good theatrical technique, when he goes on for so long, getting laughs and losing laughs and getting more laughs along the way, you really get a sense at the overwhelming banality of what he's talking about.

This.

There is a real skill in doing this and knowing just how far you can go.

I thought it was really good.
  • President_Weasel 17 Mar 2009 11:47:29 12,355 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think he ran on too far with that bit, but if it worked for you then cool. For me it was a low point in an excellent show which I will definitely watch the further instalments of.
    I also thought the show could have made better use of Kevin Eldon, but maybe it was a case of them having some sketches written and throwing some work Eldon, Munnery and (what was the name of the guy in the goat costume? Michael White?)'s way.

If it's a case of having sketches to cast and knowing some excellent comic actors who could do with a week's work and could do the job in their sleep, then that makes sense to me. If it's a case of having those guys lined up to do sketches, and those were the best sketches they could come up with to make use of them, then that seems a waste.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 17:32:45
    I think it was the first one. And if you don't like the long drawn out stuff, I'm not sure I'd bother to see him live.

A PILCHARD? WHAT DO YOU DO? ARE YOU A PILCHARD?
  • otto Moderator 17 Mar 2009 17:58:02 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'd have been delighted if they'd ditched the sketches, seemed like a pointless adjunct to me, probably insisted upon by the BBC2 exec who green-lighted the series.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 17:59:59
    Probably not. It's just a nice little structural buffer between little bits, really. Adds a bit of variety, and they're funny!
  • otto Moderator 17 Mar 2009 18:03:21 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not really. I didn't need to see Kevin Eldon pretend to be Wycliffe pretending to be Chris Moyles to get the point he was making; that was a classic case of over-egging.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 18:28:55
    I always need to see Kevin Eldon. He's great!
  • sam_spade 17 Mar 2009 19:37:25 15,745 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Banisters? Shopping centres? Uh...

Wasn't he playing on the Daily Mailish, crotchity old stereotype. If it had gone on further it would have probably ended: "You know rappers, running along the bannisters, down the ramp, going around spoiling all the fun. You know the blacks. You've seen them, you know on top of the pops!"

At least that's what I thought he was trying to get across.
  • President_Weasel 17 Mar 2009 19:47:18 12,355 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    Kevin Eldon was Rod Hull on the original Fist of Fun wasn't he, and that collector chappie? They must go way back.

Yes, he was Simon Quinlank, with his flask of weak lemon drink.

He was also excellent in an episode of Black Books, he was pretty much the only good thing in that space comedy program the beeb did the other year (no idea what it was called, maybe it got better after I gave up on it), he was one of the 4 kraftwerk guys in Bill Bailey's "Das Hokey Cokey" sketch (saw it live, it was excellent - although the duelling sitars bit was even better).
    Kevin Eldon shows up in many things and tends to make them better.
    I saw him outside a hotel once, and decided to leave him in peace instead of bothering him. Ah, my exciting tales of celebrity.
  • Fizzog 17 Mar 2009 20:32:21 4,108 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Banisters? Shopping centres? Uh...

Wasn't he playing on the Daily Mailish, crotchity old stereotype. If it had gone on further it would have probably ended: "You know rappers, running along the bannisters, down the ramp, going around spoiling all the fun. You know the blacks. You've seen them, you know on top of the pops!"

At least that's what I thought he was trying to get across.

What do rappers have to do with banisters though?

I didn't understand that bit at all
  • Deleted user 17 March 2009 20:39:08
    Like, you know. When they're at the corn exchange.

Near Sainsbury's.

Like on Top of the Pops
  • Fizzog 17 Mar 2009 20:41:29 4,108 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And also, wtf is a "corn exchange"?
  • chopsen 17 Mar 2009 20:46:42 21,192 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's round the back of the multi-storey.
  • Fizzog 17 Mar 2009 21:08:15 4,108 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    >:|
  • steellam 17 Mar 2009 21:17:49 1,067 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeh, where the rappers are.
  • meggsy 17 Mar 2009 21:21:15 1,627 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    With the little disabled ramp, pushchairs can use it too.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 05:02:53
    Are you a sardine?
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 06:34:52
    Fizzog wrote:
    And also, wtf is a "corn exchange"?

A place in a lot of old towns where people used to buy and sell corn, hence the exchange part.
  • shamblemonkee 18 Mar 2009 07:34:05 17,967 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    or... it was moaning shit, done really badly.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2009 07:38:12
    Oh shut the fuck up you hypocritical twat.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.