Amstrad CPC thread Page 3

• warlockuk 15 Jun 2009 12:27:29 19,518 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I still miss my old computers, that's why I have emulators. I had (in order) two 48k Spectrums (both got blown up), a CPC 464, a CPC 6128 and then when I got my own non-family computer I got a C64 (though I _almost_ had a Vic 20 or a C16) followed by an Amiga 500 that was DOA and I sent back in favour of an Amiga 500 Plus. \o/
  • spindle9988 15 Jun 2009 12:29:58 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had an amiga 500 plus strictly for champ man '93
  • Retroid Moderator 15 Jun 2009 12:35:50 45,464 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    consignia wrote:
    I'm probably slightly younger than most people here, as when I was growing up, everyone had PCs. However, circa 1989, I knew several people with a CPC, one person with a C64, and no specturms. Then again, I only knew one person who had an Amiga, and no one who had an ST. All my friends growing up were complete technophobes.
    Complete opposite for me, really; almost everyone I knew had a home computer (mostly Spectrums) and we were all into the tech... or the gaming, at least ;)
    I was a proud owner of a CPC6128, myself. It was a lovely machine.
    As a bonus, when you moved out from home you could just empty the CPC6128 out and use it as your first house.
  • consignia 15 Jun 2009 13:44:48 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Complete opposite for me, really; almost everyone I knew had a home computer (mostly Spectrums) and we were all into the tech... or the gaming, at least ;)

Well my friends were all into console gaming. Master Systems and Mega Drives, mostly. When I hit secondary school around 96, people were starting to get PCs, so we did get PC gaming going on around then. Like I said, it's probably because I'm slightly younger than most people in this thread, so the tech followed suit.

As a bonus, when you moved out from home you could just empty the CPC6128 out and use it as your first house.

Aye, it had presence. Coupled with the monitor and the peripheral tape drive (just a Boots generic casstte player in my case), it felt serious business.
  • Dirtbox 15 Jun 2009 13:46:52 92,522 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • coastal 15 Jun 2009 14:12:03 5,432 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Sort of on topic

Ah beautiful. I almost pissed myself laughing. I think it was the bold long pause followed by him pummelling his fingers into the keyboard.
  • coastal 15 Jun 2009 14:20:37 5,432 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    hang on - psp, cfw, vice64, breadbox64. i see a way out of here
  • Deleted user 15 June 2009 18:45:13
    i owned a CPC 464, at the time most of my friends owned spectrums and i had a choice between c64 and amstrad, i choose wrong :(
  • Tomo 22 Jun 2009 19:04:57 19,523 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Only just seen this thread...

Anyway, that thread about memories and Romans or whatever got me trying to think back to which Amstrad we used to have when I was a wee one and ta-dah, it was a CPC 464!

Now, I'm getting rather nostalgic thinking about it as it was the first console/computer I ever used and I was probably 5 or 6 at the time, hence I can remember pretty much sod all about it.

I've got to the point where I've found two on eBay and I'm thinking of bidding on them... What do you reckon? Should I go for it, or put my tinted glasses back in the attic? If the former, anyone have any kind of idea of how much they actually go for these days?
  • Tomo 23 Jun 2009 11:13:17 19,523 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm going to bump this for the daytime masssssssivvvvvvv.
  • boo 23 Jun 2009 11:33:55 13,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Did I see the Vic-20 mentioned back there?

Hah! I'll see your crappy 16k Spectrum with my superior.... 4k... Vic-20...

Did anyone have one? One girl in our school did. I think she died of shame, or moved away or something.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jun 2009 11:35:12 70,666 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I had one, mainly because someone offered it to me for 20 quid and I'd knackered my keyboard on my C64. Quick screwdriver job later and I'd swapped 'em over.

The Vic 20 had Gridrunner and a decent version of Jetpac. I think those were the only games I played on the thing.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jun 2009 11:35:57 70,666 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    On topic though, I bought a CPC for one game - Get Dexter. The machine was horrible though. Horrible keyboard, usually the worst versions of certain multi-platform games but Get Dexter was superb.
  • glaeken 23 Jun 2009 11:43:02 12,070 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I also had a CPC464 and I actually remember it being pretty good. I did own a Dragon 32 before it though so that could have some baring on this.

On exclusives I think there was a game called Spanner man that might have been exclusive. It was simple platform game where you had to tighten loose nuts to stop the level flooding and you drowning.
  • Retroid Moderator 23 Jun 2009 11:46:55 45,464 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I've got to the point where I've found two on eBay and I'm thinking of bidding on them... What do you reckon? Should I go for it, or put my tinted glasses back in the attic? If the former, anyone have any kind of idea of how much they actually go for these days?
    I'd say go ahead, if you've got the space to have it set up for a while.

Emulators are great, but nothing can quite compare to sitting infront of the actual hardware and playing about with that. All those old feelings come flooding back.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Jun 2009 11:52:41 48,222 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I set the Spectrum up to show the kids a while back and they were super-excited!

Until they realised it took five minutes to load a game, then they lost interest.
  • Retroid Moderator 23 Jun 2009 11:55:18 45,464 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    But the loading music kept them amused, right?

Oh ;)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jun 2009 11:56:32 33,937 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm going to grab my old CPC6128 from my parents loft this weekend \o/

Still got all my old games in a basket up there too :)
  • figgis 23 Jun 2009 12:10:12 7,721 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    On topic though, I bought a CPC for one game - Get Dexter. The machine was horrible though. Horrible keyboard, usually the worst versions of certain multi-platform games but Get Dexter was superb.

That was a great game! However I can't remember too much about it other than you had a pet blob thing and you could decapitate your self on a ceiling fan.

The graphics were great for the time as a C64 owner I was jealous.
  • consignia 23 Jun 2009 12:21:55 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I remember I had the wholly appropriate for a kid my age game called "How to be a complete bastard". I believe it was based on a book by Ade Edmondson. It wasn't particularly good, but it was so crude and surreal (opening an umbrella inside the house turned you into a cooker) it has had quite a lasting impact.

I also had that weird Young Ones game which seemed to have no real point. It at least seeded my interest in the series in later life.
  • thelatestmodel 23 Jun 2009 12:41:27 364 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

It might turn out to be a regrettable purchase. It'll end up in a cupboard after a few days.

Retro stuff takes up space, and you can just fire up an emulator for a 95% accurate trip down memory lane.
  • MattyB2007 23 Jun 2009 12:43:23 2,950 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had a CPC6128k..... I wanted an Amiga tho! Dragon Ninja and Final fight ruled though!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jun 2009 12:46:23 33,937 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    consignia wrote:
    I remember I had the wholly appropriate for a kid my age game called "How to be a complete bastard". I believe it was based on a book by Ade Edmondson. It wasn't particularly good, but it was so crude and surreal (opening an umbrella inside the house turned you into a cooker) it has had quite a lasting impact.
    Heh, I remember that game. The thing that stuck in my mind was I think right at the start, where you had to be a bastard at work and could piss in a plant pot. My young self found it hilarious :)
  • Grump 17 Jul 2009 16:33:43 1,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The best games I ever played on my old CPC were Batman and it's follow-up Head over Heals.

Come to think of it - Head over Heals was quite genius for it's time. The whole swapping between the 2 characters or joining them together to solve puzzles thing was brilliant.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Jul 2009 16:40:00 33,937 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You should join in here Grump. We've got an isometric adventure up first.
  • Grump 17 Jul 2009 16:42:47 1,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    cheers for the heads-up
  • Retroid Moderator 17 Jul 2009 16:43:02 45,464 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Most isometric games on CPC used its 4-colour 320x200 mode and looked rather excellent as a result.
  • one-eye 17 Jul 2009 16:49:05 1,221 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    /puts hand up

I don't know where ours come from but I did love it at the time !

I always remember looking at the back of the box for multi-platform games and seeing how much better they seemed to look on the other machines.

I spent hours on that thing - Galatic Plague, Roland on the Ropes, Roland in the Caves, Jack the Nipper and of course Animal, Vegetable or Mineral to name but a few ! Yie Air Kung Fu was defo the best thing I had for it upon reflection.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Jul 2009 17:01:12 33,937 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Animal, Vegetable, Mineral! Christ I remember that :) Think it came with our Amstrad.

I was rubbish at it from I recall.
  • Grump 17 Jul 2009 17:12:34 1,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    seems like most of you bought the same bundle as me (my mum bought it actually). The one with 12 free games. If I remember correctly:

-Oh Mummy! (the first game I ever booted up ever! and what made me the gamer I am today
    -Roland on the Ropes
    -Roland in the Caves
    -Galactic plague
    -3D Maze (took 17 minutes to load!!)
    -Animal Vegatable Mineral
    - some word processor program

someone please help me remember what the other games were
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.