Tales of Vesperia confirmed for Europe Page 9

• Sharks 29 Dec 2009 09:31:45 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved Yuri making fun of Karol's voice. Glut of good quotes in the game, such as '' There's nothing worse than an enlightened idiot '' from Rita.

There isn't very much similar to Vesperia this gen though. Maybe Eternal Sonata but you'll need some patience for that.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2009 09:47:56
    I didn't have the patience for Eternal Sonata (or more specifically, I didn't have the patience for the bloody voiceovers. Vesperia's weren't brilliant, but compared to Eternal Sonata they were Orson fucking Wells!)

I thought Vesperia was ok, but I'm not sure it was significantly superior in any way to Tales of Symphonia on the Cube, which was the last one I played in the series. I'd recommend Lost Odyssey, foreverafternothing. Even though I got stuck and gave up, I thought it was fantastically put together (if hugely traditional) and I regret giving up on it. I just don't have the time for JRPGs that I used to have. I seem to get flamed every time I praise Lost Odyssey though, so I'll shut up now!
  • Sharks 29 Dec 2009 09:52:21 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Turn the voice overs off.

It's better than Symphonia in every way pretty much. o_O There's maybe more to do in Symphonia but that's about all it has over it.
  • Gartt 29 Dec 2009 10:32:00 1,925 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought this the other day, quite enjoying it so far. Any tips? Im struggling slightly with the combat system.
  • Sharks 29 Dec 2009 10:54:17 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm bad with handing out general tips but if you be more specific with what's giving you difficulty sure I can help.
  • Gartt 29 Dec 2009 18:13:01 1,925 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nothing is troubling me too much, its probably just a case of getting used to the system more than anything. Can you switch between characters or are you stuck using tactic sets and just controlling the main char?
  • mal 29 Dec 2009 19:12:54 29,326 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    By reordering the characters from the Y-button menu, you can choose who to control, IIRC - though I'd recommend sticking to Yuri most of the time. One or two of the characters you meet through the game are fun to control, but many of them are extremely cumbersome to use.
  • Sharks 30 Dec 2009 17:07:18 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, just stick with Yuri. You don't have to just stick with the tactic sets, you can make your own or customise the existing ones.
  • Syrette 2 Jan 2010 23:49:26 50,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Syrette 6 Jan 2010 12:53:34 50,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm genuinely loving this now. Some 26-27 hours in and I'm aware that I'm only about half way through it.

Really getting into it. I love how it has a decent story, good enough alone for me to want to keep playing, but isn't a JRPG that takes itself overly seriously. The graphical style really suits it, and I find it charming as a whole. Even the script and voice acting is good, some of the stuff Yuri and Raven come out with has me gloling.

The battle system is far deeper than I expected and the game does a really good job of evolving the system as you continue playing. There is a lot more going on now in the battles I encouter. The masses of weapons and items to synthesise and equip adds extra depth to it too.

The dungeons are never too large, long or confusing. The holy bottles are a big help too if I want to avoid some battles against monsters.

Class game.
  • Syrette 14 Jan 2010 18:21:31 50,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Raven really is one of the funniest characters I've ever come across in a game. Really well voice acted too, as are the rest of them.

Game is fucking epic.
  • itamae 14 Jan 2010 18:28:20 10,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, it's great, isn't it? To be honest though I thought that Raven was the weakest character of the lot. His old man routine got very old (badum-tish) very fast.
  • Syrette 14 Jan 2010 18:42:55 50,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I guess I can see where you're coming from, it's more his interaction with the other characters that I find amusing.

I like all the characters tbh. Even Karol and his comments like "splishy-splashy water coloured queen" which had me gloling.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 19:02:26
    I've got 108 hours on my file and still going. Just making my way through the 200 man melee with each character. Best JRPG of the current generation by far in my opinion. Only Persona 3 and Persona 4 on the PS2 come close to Vesperia.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2010 19:13:43
    I'm trying to get all the achievements. Already beat the final boss but the game lets you carry on afterwards. I've got 40 out of 50 so far, the remaining 10 are the hardest.
  • Sharks 18 Jan 2010 16:54:29 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, there aren't really any optional dungeons to speak of unfortunately, except for one that requires playing through the game twice, but there are a lot of varied side quests to keep you occupied. The giganto monsters are a lot of fun, they even get their own quirky boss theme.

And Raven's a great character. I don't think his act is being an old man, he just likes to make self-deprecating jokes about his age, because he's cool like that. And he makes you vacillate with how much you respect him, going from practically nil to a great deal by the end of the game, which is cool. It takes a strong character to get you feeling like that.

Personally, my favourite character would probably be a tie between Yuri and Rita, although I do like most of them. Yuri and Rita are definitely two of my favourite video game characters.

I never found the game to get repetitive or lose its fun.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2010 17:00:58
    Scimarad wrote:
    Unfortunately Vesperia is probably the best so far this generation so it's all downhill from there:(

Whaddya mean

Lost Odyssey is a great game.

I also enjoyed Star Ocean The Last Hope, the sci-fi setting was great.

Eternal Sonata is also a good JRPG but some of the voice work in that makes you want to kill yourself.

Last Remnant isn't as bad as people say either.
  • Aretak 18 Jan 2010 17:15:29 10,391 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    I also enjoyed Star Ocean The Last Hope
    Have you thought about seeking help to overcome this affliction?
  • siro 18 Jan 2010 17:21:04 1,868 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    espibara wrote:
    I also enjoyed Star Ocean The Last Hope
    Have you thought about seeking help to overcome this affliction?

I'm on the fence with Star Ocean because of the cheap sales. Some more opinion would be appreciated.

Changes to get ToV cheap are basically zero, right?
  • Tuffty 18 Jan 2010 18:35:29 4,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a question with regards to how long I have left in the game if someone wouldn't mind answering. I'm told that I have to go to the Blade Drifts of Zopheir after you stormed Heracles and with the way the story is at the minute and as I currently have my save file at 60+hrs, I assume there can't be that much left to go? Do more optional quests open up at all?

And after getting that Sorceror Ring upgrade at Heracles, I wanna go back to those locations that have chest blocked behind obstacles so I can knock them out of the way. But Baul has to recover :( I'm sure he'll be fine, but I want that treasure now XD!
  • Sharks 18 Jan 2010 19:00:02 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You've got roughly about 15 hours of the main story left. It gets very good towards the end.

Baul doesn't take long to recover.

And make sure to use a magic lens on both phases of the boss in the Blade Drifts.

There should be lots of viable side quests as it is, just look around more. I wouldn't say an enormous amount become available towards the end, although a lot of new areas do open up, including two new towns I believe. Well, I say towns, one's an extortionist sauna and not much more, the other's filled with mad people dressed as cows and has lots of fun games.
  • Machetazo 9 Oct 2010 11:18:00 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    /o\ /shakes fist at ecosse :p No, this is the 360 thread, lol. As you were, then. xD
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.