Tales of Vesperia confirmed for Europe Page 10

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • rickalish 20 Feb 2011 14:22:28 1,839 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The answer may well be in this thread somewhere, but why is Tales of Vesperia so hard to find?
  • Deleted user 20 February 2011 14:31:46
    Limited run. Mines is worth a feckin fortune.
  • Derblington 20 Feb 2011 14:32:31 31,230 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cool. I have a copy of this too, though I've still not played it.
  • GoneTomorrow 20 Feb 2011 15:10:24 294 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Cool. I have a copy of this too, though I've still not played it.

Cunt.

One day, at one point in time, I shall remember to place a bid on eBay for a copy and win... without paying 60+. Until then, my 360 will be no more than an effective doorstop.
  • Sharks 20 Feb 2011 15:14:06 5,089 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So glad I was relentless in getting my copy upon release. :)
  • Deleted user 20 February 2011 15:18:01
    I remember last year when Zavvi had a few in stock for 17.95, I so wish I picked it up then:( :( :(
  • Genji 21 Mar 2011 02:54:31 19,682 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes. Fucking finally YES, I have stuck through and completed a Tales game. This one took three lengthy attempts. Previously, I'd played it for stupid amounts of time, only to get pissed off (or bored) and play something else, leaving Vesperia in a cupboard somewhere.

I'm never going to play a Tales game again. Possibly never play a JRPG again.

This is not a bad game - although there are numerous things that really fucking piss me off about it - but I'm still not going to play another one unless some of those things are changed.

First, good bits.

-The battle system, as always, is lovely. I've always loved the real-time stuff in the Tales series. It's spectacular, and takes a considerable amount of skill to get the longer combos

-The game also looks and sounds lovely. The towns (especially Halure), the anime cutscenes, the enemy design, the voice acting, the music: basically everything about the presentation is splendid

Now, negatives. Starting with the mildly annoying, and moving through to the seriously irritating.

-Raven's age - I realise that it's sort of a convention in JRPGs for anyone over the age of, say, 16, to be a battle-weary warrior. And anyone over 19 to be positively ancient.

But Namco are really fucking taking the piss with Raven.

For starters, 35 is NOT THAT FUCKING OLD. He's not even old enough to be Yuri's dad, ffs.

But to have every single character calling him "old man", and every single line that he says containing some reference to his advanced age - "Oh! These old bones just can't keep up with you young ones anymore", etc, etc - I began to hate him. STOP TALKING ABOUT HOW OLD YOU ARE.

*ahem*

-Too much jargon - Here's a sample conversation similar to ones you'll hear in-game.

"Wow, did you see that? He just used Dein Nomos on that aer krene like he did on the blastia a little while ago!"

"I thought only the Entelexeia could do that, or someone with their apatheia. The aer current is too strong. Could he be using the Rizomata formula?"

"Even I couldn't use my bodhi blastia to break the hermes blastia and stop him from awakening the Adephagos and its cataclysm"

Did you understand any of that? This is how the characters talk sometimes. I was still foggy on most of the terms by the end of the game.

And the battle system is a bit over-complicated like that too. By the time you've linked a Base Arte into an Arcane Arte in the air, going into a Level 4 Overdrive, hitting an Altered Arte and Mystic Arte, adding in a Fatal Strike Chain afterwards to finish off, you might feel a bit overwhelmed! They do introduce this stuff at a steady pace, but it still feels like a bit much.

-Fuck you, sidequests, FUCK OFF - I don't mind timed sidequests. Several people complained about the timer in Dead Rising, but I didn't mind the time limit at all. It was always easy to see where you had to be, and how much time you had to get there.

But imagine a sidequest that didn't have any of those things. No obvious timer. No indication of where you have to go. No idea of who to talk to, who needs to talk to them, or what requirements there are to activate the conversation.

Now imagine a sidequest that has a whole, game and world-spanning series of these events, and that missing ANY of them will cause you to fail the sidequest with no indication of the failure. And that the reward for them is often quite significant, from titles (required for an achievement), to the best weapon, skill or spell for a particular character.

The last time I gave up on this game, it was because of one of these things. The prize being the best weapon for Judith, my favorite character. I found out that I had failed the quest, because I did not return to the basement of a tower dungeon immediately after I had completed it. That was it, best spear gone forever. Fuck off.

So, basically, to finish these things, after every major dungeon you need to go to every town, talk to every person, and sleep at every inn. And even then you could miss important stuff, because some events are in completed dungeons.

Or you could just use a guide, like I did this time around. But really, that should not be a fucking requirement for these games.

Which leads, really, into the biggest reasons why I'll probably never play one of these things again.

-The OCD - If you're one of those people that needs to get 1000/1000 gamerscore to feel like they have "completed" a game... all I can say is, good fucking luck with this one. Getting the "all titles" achievement is probably going to be one of the most mind-numbingly tedious things you're ever going to do.

Aside from the afore-mentioned sidequest lunacy, you're probably going to have to finish the game at least twice, master every cooking recipe with every character, finish a timed arena battle with every character, get to level 200, grind to get every skill and 10 million gold, use a Magic Lens on every version of every enemy (sometimes more than once), and get every weapon, piece of armor, helmet, and item.

Oh, and get at least a hundred fatal strikes controlling every character. Even the ones that are really difficult to control, like Karol. And probably more stuff that I haven't bothered to look up.

Which all leads into:

-The Timesink - One of the achievements is to play this game for a hundred hours. A hundred hours. As an achievement.

Even just the main story in this game goes on and on and on. Tales of Symphonia was the same, with several false endings and EVER SO MUCH PADDING.

Apparently it's possible to finish this in 10 hours, but I can't imagine doing that without the New Game + thing, carrying over all of your stuff. A 100% playthrough could easily take 150 hours, probably 200+. My run was about 75 hours, and I didn't even get close to doing everything.

That's over three days of my life spent playing this, and that doesn't even count the aborted attempts. And now that I'm done, it just feels like a complete waste. An absolute waste of time, time which could have been spent doing something, ANYTHING else. I just got caught in this addictive cycle, and the determination to finally finish one of these things.

But never again. Never again. If I see another JRPG with a playtime of over 30 hours, I'm not going to buy it. Life is too short to be spent on brain-melting tedium.

As for Vesperia... I think I'll burn it. Or sell it on EBay, maybe. Apparently it's pretty rare in Europe.
  • Scimarad 21 Mar 2011 06:37:58 9,534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really don't get the issue with the jargon; People complained about this in Tales of the Abyss, as well. Maybe it's because I've read a lot of SF and Fantasy but to me these are just things that exist in that particular reality and once they've explained what they are once it generally sticks. Sometimes it's just the context that's needed and you can pretty much guess what they are talking about anyway. I certainly prefer that to "Let me explain what this thing is to the audience even though we are both completely aware what it is" syndrome. What's the alternative? Most of these things don't have real terms as they aren't things that really exist.

As to the game length, I kind of agree with you to an extent. I've not really got so much time to play games these days so putting that amount of time into something is quite scary. That said, I remember looking at the play time on FFXII when I finished and it was 200 hours plus or something stupid!

I still think it's quite easy to put that amount of time into a game if you are enjoying it.
  • Genji 21 Mar 2011 06:45:39 19,682 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As far as the jargon is concerned... I'm fine with having it, but I think there must be a way to have it in there, while still letting the characters talk like actual human beings.

And it might have been better if some of it was explained a little... clearer. I don't know exactly how that could be done, but there must be a way, because I haven't found it particularly off-putting in other RPGs.

And I dunno about Tales of the Abyss. The only other Tales games I've played were Phantasia and Symphonia - both of which I gave up on for similar reasons. Don't remember much about them now.

And I don't think "enjoyment" is why I put that much time into the game. It was at first, but quickly began to feel like an obligation. I rarely leave my games unfinished.
  • Genji 21 Mar 2011 07:12:21 19,682 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And I think some people mistake "epic" for "really long", in some cases. I don't mind a long story, but only as long as the focus is on the story, rather than various peripheral characters and political machinations that, really, have little to do with anything.

I have this issue with some fantasy literature too. Particularly, say, The Wheel of Time, and even LOTR. There's just so much history and legend and language and political crap happening behind the scenes, that the story gets padded out to ridiculous lengths.

And that's what happens here. Even though the story itself is not all that intricate compared to fantasy literature, it feels bloated nonetheless. The mandatory grinding doesn't help, either.
  • rickalish 21 Mar 2011 07:22:49 1,839 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did you get my message Genji?
  • Genji 21 Mar 2011 07:28:46 19,682 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah. I have a friend who wants to borrow it, but he says he'll have it back in a week or so.

I assume he's taking the week off work, the crazy bastard. :)

But it'll be free after that, and I will think about a sale.
  • rickalish 21 Mar 2011 08:14:08 1,839 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cool. I'll check the thread in a week then.
  • rickalish 24 Mar 2011 17:55:09 1,839 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Found a copy in local cex for 68. I reckon someone will buy it though.
  • Humperfunk 9 Jan 2019 14:34:00 7,893 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Who is in for this?

Mine's just been posted so hopefully can have a good go on it tomorrow, cannot wait to get into this again :)
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 15:49:23 4,777 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I know @Khromasynkadink is,

I am undecided.
  • Ror 9 Jan 2019 15:50:41 18,022 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    o/

Premium Edition is winging its way from Bamco (France, apparently).

Can't wait to ring a bell.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 Jan 2019 16:38:47 3,347 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I managed to resist the Premium Edition (still not played my 360 copy through yet to my shame) as I needed a new mo itor more (other one died not just an upgrade). I will get the PS4 port but will probably wait a little (in case I get a Switch is one reason, the other being more games that I am not likely to be get easily later to pay for this month like Vita stuff and Etrian X). I want to support the day one releases but after the last few PS4 LEs were butchered (and I stopped buying them) I found it easier to just wait for the standard edition.
  • Singularity 9 Jan 2019 16:40:02 2,987 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not sure. I'm still flirting with the idea of Phattso's 5 game challenge which would preclude this. And I remember loving Symphonia on the Cube, but never finished it. And then I didn't really get on with the 3DS one, whatever that was called.
  • Ror 9 Jan 2019 16:45:01 18,022 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3DS was Abyss, which was really good, but took some time to get going (especially with the way the main character's arc worked out). Vesperia is very much in line with Symphonia and Abyss, but with a pretty different protagonist.

I actually had the Switch standard edition pre-ordered, as well as the XBO Premium, but had to cancel the former. I'll probably still pick it up somewhere down the line, as I do bloody love this game. Although, saying that, I'm actually mainly excited for the soundtrack that comes with the Premium, as I probably won't play the game until I've knocked a couple of things off the 'currently playing' list :)
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 17:57:43 8,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still have my 360 copy, paid 25 euro at a time when people were desperate enough to pay 60-70 euro for it.

Haven't played much really, around 10 hours before getting bored, but if I were to restart, I think I'd keep the 360 version rather than any of the remasters. Didn't they fix the Estelle invulnerability bug in the PS3 version and onwards? I'd like to keep a trump card up my sleeve, just in case.
  • Humperfunk 9 Jan 2019 22:56:39 7,893 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    3DS was Abyss, which was really good, but took some time to get going (especially with the way the main character's arc worked out). Vesperia is very much in line with Symphonia and Abyss, but with a pretty different protagonist.
    Yep, also my top 3 Tales games (with Berseria a very close fourth), superb. Vesperia would be 2nd behind Symphonia, really am looking forward to this.
  • Timmy 9 Jan 2019 23:18:15 9,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ror 9 Jan 2019 23:44:04 18,022 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still haven't gotten round to Berseria yet, Zesty did that much damage. I did nab it from Roguey's code thread the other day though, so I'll get to it before too long.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 Jan 2019 23:56:02 3,347 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I also need to get back to Berseria (and I am the outloer who quite enjoyed Zestiria and finished that one)
  • chrisno21 10 Jan 2019 09:55:48 2,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zesteria put me off the series too. What with Berseria in the PSN sale for ~12 I should probably get that first...

My concern is that I loved Symphonia, then repurchased on PS3 and it didn't age well in terms of movement and combat, so much so that I didn't get too far at all. Is this going to have the same issue? I assume not as it's not a PS2 era game.
  • Ror 10 Jan 2019 11:07:38 18,022 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's weird. I think Zestiria is a much better game than Graces f (which I think is a genuinely bad game), yet I finished that and its future epilogue, while just giving up on Zestiria.

I think Zesty was just kind of bland and inoffensive enough that I stopped caring at some point. Think I was nearish the end, too.
  • Humperfunk 10 Jan 2019 11:20:32 7,893 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really didn't get on with Zestiria and as chrisno says above, it actually put me off the series for a good while. I picked up Berseria eventually in a sale and was extremely glad I did as it repaired all the damage. Ironic considering they're set in the same world so not unreasonable to suspect they'd both be guff.

@chrisno21 would absolutely recommend Berseria for 12, I paid 20 and in hindsight have happily paid full price as I usually do had the Zestiria damage not been done!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.