Following Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (console version) Page 537

• andytheadequate 21 Nov 2020 22:38:26 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JamboWayOh BF seems to have a habit of doing that I remember the disappointment of BF3 after BC2. BF3 was quite good, but it felt like a cross between BF2 and COD without much BC2. BF4 is basically the same as BF3, whereas 1 felt a bit more BC2 esque to me.
  • Gl3n Moderator 21 Nov 2020 22:47:14 6,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar - I kept forgetting to use the screenshot/ video clips too, I've not had an xbox for 7 years so was all a bit new to me! We weren't great at dealing with those tanks, pretty sure we all gotnabsilutely mulled by the tanks on the hill on Harvest Day. Was good fun though.

I'm keen on having a regular BC2 night, but also willing to try one of the newer ones too. I've currently got 5 downloaded on GP which I'm going to try, but I know Triarri is a fan of 1. Of the post BC2 battlefields, 1 is by far the most fun I've had, although I haven't played it that much. I remember the new game mode was a really good combination of rush and conquest.

@Gl3n - you're welcome to join the fun if you still have an Xbox!
    I'd love to, but avoided the Xbone. I've been using PC for Xbox related stuff, guessing it isn't compatible though. Makes me wonder about a Series S!
  • Bichii 21 Nov 2020 22:56:10 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interesting. For me bf1 is bar far the worst bf I have ever played by a mile. Bc2, bf3 and 4 are all incredible. 5 is merely very good.

Edited by Bichii at 22:56:30 21-11-2020
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Nov 2020 23:03:01 33,394 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Theyíve all been a bit shit since BC2 imo. Still all fairly enjoyable, but not a patch on 42 or BC2, the two standout daddies.
  • andytheadequate 21 Nov 2020 23:34:22 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gl3n - I bought a XSX and have ended up mainly playing BC2 so far, pretty sure that's not what MS had in mind when they were making it 😃
  • andytheadequate 21 Nov 2020 23:42:46 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Interesting. For me bf1 is bar far the worst bf I have ever played by a mile. Bc2, bf3 and 4 are all incredible. 5 is merely very good.
    Out of interest, which game modes do you usually play? I played Rush 99% of the time on BC2, but found it pretty dreadful on BF3. I quite like conquest on BF3, but the black of destruction and the mixture of massive maps and tiny maps made it feel more like BF2 and COD respectively for me. When I played BF1 I played the new game mode (forgot it's name) which was like a mixture of rush and conquest, and the maps felt a bit more balanced. Still not enough destruction though. I guess the WW1 setting didn't help with that as there weren't as many vehicles and explosives available.
  • andytheadequate 21 Nov 2020 23:43:47 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Theyíve all been a bit shit since BC2 imo. Still all fairly enjoyable, but not a patch on 42 or BC2, the two standout daddies.
    I played 42 back in the day but never particularly got into it, but when 43 on the 360 was the game that got me into BF again.
  • PatrickEwing 21 Nov 2020 23:48:13 2,513 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep 3, bad company 2 and BF1 all equal top for me. Love the long battles of grand operations on BF1 and still dip in sometimes. V is just all wrong

Anyway I had an amazing lightbulb moment and connected via Ethernet on my series X and it opened my NATs right up!! seem to get in a game all the time now so should be back in for next Friday session
  • andytheadequate 21 Nov 2020 23:59:11 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PatrickEwing If you and Jambo join next week then we'll almost have a full team of EGers! It makes such a difference when everyone is talking in party chat, especially in defence. Although being told there's "someone crouching next to a wall in a field" is only of limited use when on a map the size of Harvest Day 😃
  • Immaterial 22 Nov 2020 02:07:52 2,460 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2142 is still the daddy for me. Shame that EA pulled the plug on the community servers.
  • Bichii 22 Nov 2020 03:06:00 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @andytheadequate bc2 had great balance in rush and was my favourite mode. 3&4 didn't seem to nail the balance as well so I also played more CQ in 3&4. Rush done right is definitely the best mode to play and 3&4 did have a few maps where it still worked really really well like damvand peak in 3. Then they release back to karkand expansion which were all amazing maps.

Yeah I'll commit to 3 and bc2 being the best all round. Rush is far far better as well with smaller player counts. On 360 rush was amazing and cq was often too quiet. On PS4 (64 players) rush became a mess and cq was the mode to play. On 360 with a good squad you could change the game and win rush.

Ps bf1 is by far the worst :). I do see a lot of 5 hate. No where near 3 etc but it's a big step up from 1. The Pacific island maps especially are excellent and the destruction is very decent.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 22 Nov 2020 10:11:45 2,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll be around this evening if anyone is up for it?

I enjoyed 3 but the maps just weren't the same as BC2. The maps in BC2 were all just so well designed that they worked for all the modes. Since BC2 they just seemed to make the maps fit certain modes, but lump them all in to the rotation for all modes. The maps in BC2 were all fairly rectangular, meaning they worked really well for rush, but fitted CQ fine. The maps in the following games were all just big, which didn't help with the feel of the more contained 'pushing forward' of rush. There was still room for flanking in BC2, but it wasn't the go to tactic. You need to use all the gadgets and tactics possible to win in BC2, whereas with all the other games you just need to overwhelm with numbers or flank. Perhaps it was also due to the lower player count.
    Bigger isn't always better.
  • welshben1982 22 Nov 2020 12:23:30 1,360 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    @andytheadequate bc2 had great balance in rush and was my favourite mode. 3&4 didn't seem to nail the balance as well so I also played more CQ in 3&4. Rush done right is definitely the best mode to play and 3&4 did have a few maps where it still worked really really well like damvand peak in 3. Then they release back to karkand expansion which were all amazing maps.

Yeah I'll commit to 3 and bc2 being the best all round. Rush is far far better as well with smaller player counts. On 360 rush was amazing and cq was often too quiet. On PS4 (64 players) rush became a mess and cq was the mode to play. On 360 with a good squad you could change the game and win rush.

Ps bf1 is by far the worst :). I do see a lot of 5 hate. No where near 3 etc but it's a big step up from 1. The Pacific island maps especially are excellent and the destruction is very decent.
    No it's not, 1 is miles better than 5, for a start the maps are a lot better, the Grand Operations mode is really good & BF1 isn't a tedious boredomfest that many of the maps on BF5 turn into.
  • andytheadequate 23 Nov 2020 11:36:27 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar completely agree with the map design. Couldn't make it on early enough last night to join you, but managed to sneak a few games in late on with acidsnake and triarri. Numbers dropped a few times but still plenty of decent games, even if there's a high percentage of ridiculously good players left (met7es seems to be in every game we play now!).

I finally have all the badges and pins! The last one I needed was 100 mortar kills, which I managed to get in style with a mortar strike that blew up a stationary machine gun and 4 or 5 enemies. Annoying I forgot to record a clip, I'm still not used to doing that so will never be a famous YouTuber at this rate.

After the (almost) universal recommendation, I've also downloaded BF1 for when we can't find a game of BC2.

Edited by andytheadequate at 11:58:03 23-11-2020
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 23 Nov 2020 13:04:41 2,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @andytheadequate I've downloaded BF1 as well. Seems I've not played it on xbox much, but I do remember playing it, so it must have been on PC.
    Had a few matched with randoms last night, was pretty good. I got in with a couple of medics who obviously play together. It was us three against 6 or 7 at one point on the last defence of Arica. We almost had them, it was down to 5 tickets.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 23 Nov 2020 22:16:13 2,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just having a few matches of BF1, and noticed all the DLC maps are not available with the Game Pass edition. But the premium pass was £6.99 (reduced from £35 odd) for some reason (sale or something?) so I got it. It includes all the DLC. Not bad.
  • Gl3n Moderator 23 Nov 2020 23:16:15 6,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @Gl3n - I bought a XSX and have ended up mainly playing BC2 so far, pretty sure that's not what MS had in mind when they were making it 😃
    Nice. Genuinely interested, ideal situation would be picking up a used old banger to play it on.
  • andytheadequate 23 Nov 2020 23:49:00 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gl3n I imagine there'll be loads of xbox One consoles coming up for sale at the moment, night be able to grab a bargain there.

@DDB - I saw the DLC in the sale too. Is it worth it? Are the maps any good?
  • PatrickEwing 24 Nov 2020 01:36:09 2,513 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For £7 absolutely Yes, whilst not as good as 2 or 3 of the standard maps there are a lot on offer across all the DLC packs. Not all good but if I remember correctly passchendaele , river Somme and verdun heights were excellent. Although the last objective attacking on verdun was ridiculous.
    Saying that there was a thing where if someone in the party had the DLC then all the maps were available to those in party. Not sure if still a thing.
  • PatrickEwing 24 Nov 2020 01:36:10 2,513 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For £7 absolutely Yes, whilst not as good as 2 or 3 of the standard maps there are a lot on offer across all the DLC packs. Not all good but if I remember correctly passchendaele , river Somme and verdun heights were excellent. Although the last objective attacking on verdun was ridiculous.
    Saying that there was a thing where if someone in the party had the DLC then all the maps were available to those in party. Not sure if still a thing.
  • macmurphy 24 Nov 2020 09:41:06 4,384 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers for the games on Friday. Good to see the EGGMILF roll out.

Two things. First of all that Me7res guy wants kicking in the hole all day long. Then he wants getting woken up at night and getting kicked in the hole some more.

Second BFBC2 is still pretty good. Some things donít hold up as well. Thereís a lack of feedback when youíre shooting someone. Thereís no hit marker - either on you HUD or showing rounds hitting them - and so it feels like youíre not even shooting sometimes. Itís also a bit slow - turning and aiming and running generally. I whacked the sensitivity up but the running speed and ADS was a bit slow.

But thereís still so much it does right. That sense of carnage, the destructible buildings, the huge variety of weapons and vehicles, the smoke and sound effects and the concussions. I also really like the fact the sniper bullets are tracer rounds. I guess itís unrealistic but itís great to see your fall of shot and always made aiming at people easy and satisfying. The games were an absolute clusterfuck but really exciting.

Makes me desperate for the next one. Iíll still probably bigger off if my mates blow the Warzone conch because Iím a smack head like that, but Iíll try and keep getting some Battlefield in first.

Thanks a lot for organising it Andy.
  • AcidSnake 24 Nov 2020 09:49:34 8,390 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There is a hit marker though?
    Doesn't the reticle show a slight X if you manage to land a hit?

I was wondering if onslaught still worked?
    It was short and flawed but it did have some nice moments. Nelson Bay in the mist and Atacama at sunset being quite nice to look at too...
  • andytheadequate 24 Nov 2020 12:00:16 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PatrickEwing wrote:
    That's interesting, pretty pro consumer for an EA published game if that's still the case. I had a go at it last night, I played it a bit back in 2016/2017 and remember enjoying it. It feels more different to BC2 than I remember, but it also feels different to BF3/4. I enjoyed the games I played, although I struggled to control the aiming as it was far quicker than BC2 (I guess the opposite to what @macmurphy talks about!).
  • andytheadequate 24 Nov 2020 12:03:15 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @macmurphy there is some feedback when shooting someone although it's nowhere near the extent of most modern FPS games. Even in 2010 it lagged behind MW2 in that regard, although it's still good enough. I agree with the movement though, it can feel a bit clunky, especially with the 30fps and when trying to jump through a window or something. From a gameplay point of view I actually prefer the slightly slower movement speed though.

I'm hoping everyone will be up for a rematch this friday 😃
  • andytheadequate 27 Nov 2020 15:24:33 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The second Official Weekly BC2 Nightģ️ will start around half 9 again, if you see me online then feel free to join the party/ game.

GT: andytheadequate
  • AcidSnake 27 Nov 2020 16:48:26 8,390 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hoo'ah!
    Don't know at what time but I'll definitely join!

Let's win this thing!
    It's now or never!
    Victory or die trying!
    Let slip the dogs of war!
    Come on you apes, you wanna live forever!?
    The boys are back in town!
    No place to go but up!
    Nice pass!
    What a save!
  • andytheadequate 27 Nov 2020 17:04:25 9,431 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Take the shot!

EZPZ
  • JamboWayOh 27 Nov 2020 17:37:24 21,665 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully I should be able to make it tonight.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 27 Nov 2020 17:45:09 2,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll be about most of the evening.

He's in that building!
    There's a guy over there!
  • triarii 27 Nov 2020 17:52:54 439 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Keep an eye on that bush, the one by the fence in the field.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.