What's slowing down Windows?

First Previous
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 16:13:53
    I've just installed a fresh copy of XP SP2 on my new setup (below) and the only way to describe how it's running is "sticky". Windows hang for a bit, navigating the net is cumbersome - and it's not the connection.

Have run -

Memtest - memory is fine

HD Tune - all HD's are healthy and error free

Furmark - now, this is the tricky one. It's an ATI card and the stress test I was recommended to do by the OC'ers tech support guy, who was very helpful, ran for about twenty minutes or so.

I watched it for about five (very boring) and heat seemed to top out at around 75 or so. I then left it for fifteen minutes and came back to find that the gcard had overheated to show a bunch of black/yellow lines. Well, since then I've looked up this test and realise that it's very, very hard on the card. So should this be a factor?

Prime95 and Coretemp - mid fifties on the CPU heat and left on for four hours, all good.

Are there any bios settings or so on I could try? Am I missing a trick? I had to slipstream SP2 onto XP and make a new bootdisc, but it installed without error.

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6700 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.66GHz (1066FSB) - OEM
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 "XXX Edition" 512MB GDDR5 TV-OutDual DVIHDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Crucial 32GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (CT32GBFAB0) (running as the system boot for XP, two other SATA 250GB HDs for program info and storage on there too)
    Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX8500D2K24G)
    Akasa AK-975CU CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775) (this was a bastard to fit but it looks like it's ok)
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 16:14:58
    Installing SP3 now btw.

Am worried about any damage to the card thanks to Furmark, should I be?
  • JJKrista1 3 Apr 2009 16:17:20 164 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah, it'll be alright.

Daft question: is the CPU heat-sink seated correctly etc.
  • hypersp 3 Apr 2009 16:52:41 110 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    in my experince i find that quad cores doesnt work as well as xp as on vista, could be a urban a legend
  • magicpanda 3 Apr 2009 17:10:45 15,018 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How much power you got going into all that?
  • Deepo 3 Apr 2009 17:22:26 107 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have you installed the chipset drivers?
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:29:56 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    How much cooling you got in the case itself?Is you CPU or PSU blowing their hot air right onto your GFX card?
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:30:04
    JJKrista1 wrote:
    Nah, it'll be alright.

Daft question: is the CPU heat-sink seated correctly etc.

Yup...
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:31:59
    Khanivor wrote:
    How much cooling you got in the case itself?Is you CPU or PSU blowing their hot air right onto your GFX card?

The Akasa is pointed towards the graphics card but it's some way off. The case is a Lian Li and is very roomy, there's two fans at the front, one on the top and another for the rear.

I do thank you guys for your help in advance, btw...
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:32:13
    Deepo wrote:
    Have you installed the chipset drivers?

Yarp.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:34:05
    Make sure the page file is on your HDDs or with 4GB of RAM you could even disable it unless you do mem hungry stuff.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:34:34
    Magic Panda wrote:
    How much power you got going into all that?

470W I think it is. Off the top of my head.

BTW I should add I tested Stalker out on it and it ran beautifully on top settings. More than could be said of my previous setup.

It's not a gaming rig, though, which is why I installed a midrange card - hence why I've got the Crucial SSD to allow for caching in Photoshop etc.

The guys at Overclockers recommended the install to the Crucial drive and actually took my original spec down a peg or two, so I ended up spending less money with them.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:35:33 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A quick scan on the net and I'm afraid it appears your SSD might not be teh awesome.

Also, AKAIK, SSDs do not work well on anything pre-Vista, so get that Windows 7 beta and see how it runs under an OS designed when the technology existed.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:35:36
    valli wrote:
    Make sure the page file is on your HDDs or with 4GB of RAM you could even disable it unless you do mem hungry stuff.

How would I go about this?

I'm one of those people who're nearly a tech geek but really mildly retarded when I reach a certain point.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:36:52
    Khanivor wrote:
    A quick scan on the net and I'm afraid it appears your SSD might not be teh awesome.

Also, AKAIK, SSDs do not work well on anything pre-Vista, so get that Windows 7 beta and see how it runs under an OS designed when the technology existed.

Could you provide me with a link for this? If there's proof that it's not teh awesome then maybe I can angle for my money back.

And whereabouts is the W7beta... please pm, would gladly try an upgrade whilst nothing's installed.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:38:50 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    470W and you want a stable system? I'd say nae chance.

I have a very similar system, (minus SSD; got a Raptor instead) and it flaked out on my Asaka 550W PSU and only started to run perfectly when I put a 650W Coolermaster in there.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:40:50
    SQJ, right mouse button on My Computer on your desktop, then Properties. Then Advanced System Settings, Performance Options, Advanced Tab - Virtual Memory, Change button.

I'm running XP in Funny Language so I can't tell you exactly what the options are called. Just point the system to the fast disks instead of the SSD or choose No Swap File.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:42:20 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Windows 7 beta is all over the internet. I think the current build is 7068, although the 7070 build may have leaked and hit the torrents while I slept.

This is the sole basis for me dissing the drive; as I said, I've barely looked into it. I was just looking at SSDs on Newegg yesterday, ironically enough, and was spooging at the thought of getting one.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:43:56
    Thanks guys.

@khanivor - hm... I figured it would be ok, and was told it was. Everyone seems to have a different point of view on these matters so I've no idea who to listen to!

The thing is, Windows itself is hanging here and there when the computer isn't under much stress. I've put it through several long and rigorous tests, one of which could be a duffer. Odder still because when putting it through a difficult

I've had the 470W on the system I build in 2005/6 (? can't remember) and that ran stable, if slow for what I've been doing recently...

@valli - ok, will do and check it out.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:44:27 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    /slaps sjh for not doing his homework

And fucking hell are those drives expensive in the UK! For the price of that 30G Crucial I could get one about four times the size here!
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:45:14
    info and how to re. moving the page file
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 17:46:05
    Khanivor wrote:
    The Windows 7 beta is all over the internet. I think the current build is 7068, although the 7070 build may have leaked and hit the torrents while I slept.

This is the sole basis for me dissing the drive; as I said, I've barely looked into it. I was just looking at SSDs on Newegg yesterday, ironically enough, and was spooging at the thought of getting one.

Thanks, droog. I just read up on it and I'm fairly confident from most of the reviews that it's fine. I've not had any BSOD's on it, just slowdown with using Windows.

Some things are working fine, others aren't - rather befuddled about it.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:48:55 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well I would certainly saw your PSU is not up to the task. It might have been fine for the system you built a few years ago but that is not this system, is it? Your CPU probably draws as much power as half your entire old system, and that 4850 will draw the other half.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 17:51:12 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am not doing well with these links, am I? :D

Don't forget these scores are likely to suffer from teh shiny bump. I wouldn't spend my money on something that gets reviews like that.

Regardless, I still think your central problem is the PSU. Fix that and you should be OK, but it does seem like your SSD is not going to be the one to blow you away.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 18:45:02
    OK, I'll look into the PSU with OC'ers and see what they say tomorrow... Also the SSD was sixty quid, not over two hundred.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 19:11:06 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Righto, that's a much better price. Still, it seems like that model is not all that great in RWA, so you may consider sending it back for something that is not 1st gen. Also, Windows 7 will make much better use of it than XP. Really, if your central problem is 'stickiness' and all your other components check out then I would point the finger of blame at the new tech running in an OS that just is not designed for it. XP will eventually slow that drive down to a crawl as SSDs are not designed to cope well with writing small chunks of data, which is exactly what it will be spending most of its time doing while you're on the internet, for example. Windows 7 has tech to alleviate this, as do latter drives with more modern controllers in them.

Bottom line, if you have the time, image your OS install onto a partition on one of your other drives and try using that as your boot drive and see if your problems persist.

Trust me on the PSU. 470W is not going to be enough to run all that stuff with consistent stability. Not unless it is some super-duper PSU that cost you about a ton and a half when you bought it and is designed to NASA specs :)
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 19:32:09
    No, you're correct matey. I've done some more digging and under Windows it runs like molasses. Tellingly Overclockers don't seem to be stocking it now, just a mere few days later.

My Gcard should be ok after that stress test, right? The overheat shouldn't have damaged it. It booted ok afterwards and did a benchmark in Furmark without issue afterwards. Rather worried about that.

I'll see if I can sweeten the deal of the return (egads, they'd better) with a new PSU and stick to my old Barracuda for the moment.

Thanks guys, you've been a great help. Will return with more info once I've reinstalled Windows AGAIN on the older drive (formatting now).
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 19:32:56
    Oh, Khani, here you go - the page which made my eyebrows raise.
  • Khanivor 3 Apr 2009 19:57:20 44,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It was a Tweak Town review that settled the argument for me :)

Sorry if I initially came across as a bit aggressive/patronising as I'd slept in, was not long up and my mum had already called to complain that the new installation of Windows I'd done for her, (7, btw) because she had somehow fucked up Kaspersky, well it was supposedly broken too because when she opened Firefox it didn't display the BBC news website. She then proceeded to complain that her email wasn't working. After I told her this was because the account wasn't setup she told me she didn't know where the password was or how to do set it up and the world was ending. As she told me all this and I reminded her she had done this many times, (thanks to moving country a lot and always insisting on using a POP3 account from her new ISP rather than hotmail) she then told me she had found the password which previously was going to need Indiana Jones to track down and that her mail was coming down as she'd setup the account, (in a time I would have been proud of). Then she bitched at me for not brushing my teeth or some other such shit.

/rant off

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted with OC; if you can afford it get a larger and more recent SDD for your OS, and make that OS the Windows 7 beta. Also, invest in a reputable PSU of at least 600W otherwise your PC will start to play funny buggers and drive you nuts. Your card should be OK, but stress it in some games and at the first sign of another hiccup RMA that fucker ASAP.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2009 21:19:20
    No worries, man. This week I've been through so much shit with my landlord I'm suprised I haven't had some kind of aneurism - I feel like an expert in stress management now!

It WAS the SSD drive - looks like you were right. After a lengthy format and reinstall Windows is back up and putting the Gigabyte drivers down so much faster than when it was on the SSD it's ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice about the gcard too. ;) Will do!
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.