Travelling to Spain with almost out of date passport.

• Deleted user 7 April 2009 12:20:56
    I wonder if there is anyone here who can give me a clear, definite answer on this one. I've spent the last half hour trawling the net, and stumbled across many forums where the argument is never settled. I'm travelling to Spain for a week in 4 weeks time, and upon checking our passports we discovered they run out in July. I seemed to remember that you had to have at least 3 months left for your passport to be valid, but have since been told that this has changed now.
    http://www.worldtravelguide.net/country/259/passport_visa/Europe/Spain.html
    On this site is states this -
    'Passport valid for at least three months beyond length of stay required by all nationals referred to in the chart above except:
    (a) 1. EU nationals holding a valid national ID card.

Note: EU nationals are only required to produce evidence of their EU nationality and identity in order to be admitted to any EU Member State. This evidence can take the form of a valid national passport or national identity card. Either is acceptable. Passports held by EU nationals need only be valid upon entry to and exit from Spain. Possession of a return ticket, any length of validity on their document, sufficient funds for the length of their proposed visit should not be imposed.'

Now reading that, it sounds like if my passport is to expire within 3 months then I have to have an ID card?? Or am I wrong here? Has anyone here got a knowledge of the laws regarding this? I wouldn't want to be told I'm ok, and then go to fly and be refused my holiday! Any (clear) help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 12:23:26
    I don't know the answer to that but I've been to Spain twice and didn't show my passport to anyone either time.
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 7 Apr 2009 12:23:59 6,170 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I would read that as as long as your passport is valid all the time that you are out there, and for your return journey that you are fine.
  • FWB 7 Apr 2009 12:24:19 55,980 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    EU nationals are only required to produce evidence of their EU nationality and identity in order to be admitted to any EU Member State. This evidence can take the form of a valid national passport [u]or[/u] national identity card. Either is acceptable. Passports held by EU nationals need only be valid upon entry to and exit from Spain. Possession of a return ticket, any length of validity on their document, sufficient funds for the length of their proposed visit should not be imposed.'

You'll be fine.
  • Stickman 7 Apr 2009 12:26:07 29,986 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nipples wrote:
    Passports held by EU nationals need only be valid upon entry to and exit from Spain.

There we go.
  • mrpon 7 Apr 2009 12:26:20 35,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just get it renewed surely? Standard is a 3 week turnaround, Express is 2 week.

Linky
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Apr 2009 12:27:42 32,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The only thing you need to beware of with Spain is having to provide some details in advance of travelling.

Your passport will be fine.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2009 12:29:20
    mrpon wrote:
    Just get it renewed surely? Standard is a 3 week turnaround, Express is 2 week.

Linky

There's me, the missus and the 2 nippers, so the extra few hundred quid could come in handy. ;)
    Thanks for the help fellas. Seems I should be ok.
  • mrpon 7 Apr 2009 12:31:32 35,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Completely understand. Renewed mine recently, they take the piss really as it's the same charge for a new one ffs!!
  • President_Weasel 7 Apr 2009 12:56:09 12,355 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Check with the consulate to make sure - I did this with Germany, as I wasn't entirely sure I could fly there with a passport with only 2 weeks left on it - the various websites had some confusing and contradictory information. The nice lady at the consulate confirmed that it would be fine.
    As far as I understand it, the EU states ust require that your EU passport be valid when you leave. I recommend phoning the consulate to reassure yourself though, it'll only take a couple of minutes.
  • Bambot 21 Nov 2017 11:36:22 1,378 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Completely understand. Renewed mine recently, they take the piss really as it's the same charge for a new one ffs!!
    Seems fair enough. That's the price of getting a new passport made, not sure why it would be cheaper if you already have one...
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Nov 2017 11:38:49 8,727 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Must be nearly out of date all over again.
  • DaM 21 Nov 2017 11:42:58 17,330 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ITS BEAN OVER A YEAR< WHY IS MY PASSPORTE STILL NOT BLUE AND HAS FoREIGN WRiITIING ON IT??!!!!!
  • LittleSparra 21 Nov 2017 11:44:26 7,926 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fiorino wrote:
    I recommend you to try visit this place in Spain located in Canary Island. It is called Gran Canaria and it is a must-visit in Spain. Me and my friends booked a flight to Spain and didnt waste any minutes to visit this island. .You must check it out for yourself. Read here more here at https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/gran-canaria/places/ for more information regarding to place.
    Phenomenal news.
  • RichDC 21 Nov 2017 11:47:11 8,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fiorino wrote:
    I recommend you to try visit this place in Spain located in Canary Island. It is called Gran Canaria and it is a must-visit in Spain. Me and my friends booked a flight to Spain and didnt waste any minutes to visit this island.
    I agree.. If you do find yourself in Spain it's definitely worth taking a quick trip a couple of thousand miles south to this little island. If you have time, a morning in Machu Pichu followed by an evening watching the northern lights in Norway is must.
  • nudistpete 21 Nov 2017 11:50:09 749 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    ITS BEAN OVER A YEAR< WHY IS MY PASSPORTE STILL NOT BLUE AND HAS FoREIGN WRiITIING ON IT??!!!!!
    It's coming, Brah. Also, to recognise their contribution to the cause, each page will be decorated with a nude portrait of all the politicians who helped make it happen. Apparently Corbyn is erect in his whilst Johnson and Gove are both flaccid. May's page is wipe clean.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2017 12:13:15
    Completely useless information as it's such an old post but you should be able to enter Spain with an expired passport (up to a year expired). Not something I would like to try though, I couldn't even get into a pub with an expired passport back in the day.
  • DreadedWalrus 21 Nov 2017 12:27:42 1,793 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fiorino wrote:
    I recommend you to try visit this place in Spain located in Canary Island. It is called Gran Canaria and it is a must-visit in Spain. Me and my friends booked a flight to Spain and didnt waste any minutes to visit this island. .You must check it out for yourself. Read here more here at [spam link] for more information regarding to place.
    These spammers are getting more sophisticated lately. I've noticed a lot of these dredging up old topics to make ostensibly related spam posts lately.
  • KD 21 Nov 2017 12:38:53 2,091 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Its not far from me in South Wales so same day I can go up and get 1, or used to be able to back a few years ago.
  • Dirtbox 21 Nov 2017 14:29:50 91,140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You can go to the local post office and use their checking service, it costs about 5 extra, or did when I did it and you get your passport in about 3-5 working days.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:30:20 21-11-2017
  • Dirtbox 21 Nov 2017 14:33:04 91,140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fuck, my passport is nearly up. Not a clue what I'm meant to do, might get my dad to do the forms for me and get it sent to his address then onto me.
  • Khanivor 21 Nov 2017 17:34:50 44,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You can have it sent straight to your US address.

Renewed mine earlier this year. Got forms when back in UK and sent them from there, but other than ease of payment currency and turnaround time it makes little difference.

/may not be remembering with 100% accuracy. Been a hell of a year

Edited by Khanivor at 17:36:09 21-11-2017
  • Khanivor 21 Nov 2017 17:35:46 44,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Which reminds me, I need to get my passports on next trip to pick up belongings from where I used to live.
  • mal 21 Nov 2017 17:58:01 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Seems fair enough. That's the price of getting a new passport made, not sure why it would be cheaper if you already have one...
    They don't need to go to such an extent in checking you're a real person when you already have a passport though, do they?

I've no real idea what their process is for validating a brand new passport though, since I'm not in the market for a fake passport.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.