Recommend me a family-friendly all-inclusive package holiday!

• DaM 16 Apr 2009 12:20:42 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    We are looking for a week away with the children (0,3 and 5), and have come to the conclusion this is probably the easiest option.

Trouble is we have absolutely no experience of this sort of holiday (we normally do things of our own back, or stay with friends).

We obviously want to avoid scummy resorts full of pissed-up Brits, lurching from one all-day breakfast to the next, rolled up Sun in hand.

Budget - mid range - 4 stars maybe? Somewhere warmish....

Anyone been on anything similar they can recommend?!
  • Red-Moose 16 Apr 2009 12:24:43 5,344 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hop in your car and drive to the Schwarzwald. It's lovely, reasonablly priced and also quite healthy with few pissed up Brits, etc.,

EDIT: obviously by renting a house there for a week.

EDIT 2: oh right now I see the title
  • DaM 16 Apr 2009 12:32:02 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Done things like that when there was < 3 of the nippers....looking for EASY!
    Plus flying to Aus in December with them all...
  • Goban 16 Apr 2009 12:42:41 9,980 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Eeek that sounds painful.

No help at all sorry.
  • pistol 16 Apr 2009 12:47:06 13,018 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    We are looking for a week away with the children (0,3 and 5), and have come to the conclusion this is probably the easiest option.

Trouble is we have absolutely no experience of this sort of holiday (we normally do things of our own back, or stay with friends).

We obviously want to avoid scummy resorts full of pissed-up Brits, lurching from one all-day breakfast to the next, rolled up Sun in hand.

Budget - mid range - 4 stars maybe? Somewhere warmish....

Anyone been on anything similar they can recommend?!

Cyprus is very nice, and the weather's pretty good most of the time. I'm going out diving in May for 2 weeks with the family. 2.7 yrs and 7 months. We'll be staying in a very family friendly hotel on the outskirts of Aya Napa, away from all the noise, and there are loads of nice places to eat within walking distance.
  • Nasty 16 Apr 2009 12:48:09 4,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I went on an all inclusive with my kids 3-4 years ago and hated it. I thought it would make things much easier having 'everything done for you' but in reality I just found it all a huge pain in the arse.

By far the best hoidays we've had is 2-3 familes going to a big villa with its own pool etc
  • Spanky 16 Apr 2009 12:48:31 14,962 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Butlins?
  • DaM 16 Apr 2009 13:15:21 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Butlins?

Somewhere warmish!

Mixed reactions then...I think we should give it a go once. We've also had an offer of a cottage in France in July, but we feel we should take advantage of a holiday like this before we are forced to pay school holiday prices!
  • Alastair 16 Apr 2009 13:15:39 23,700 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Depending on what things you want to do, Neilson do all inclusive holidays with lots of watersports and tennis included. There are kids clubs for all age groups. It's not quite all inclusive as it doesn't include booze and a couple of meals a week (to encourage you to go out to the local viallges). They are mainly based in Greece and Turkey.
  • DaM 16 Apr 2009 13:25:27 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The thought of sitting in a hotel and eating hotel food appalls me (I like digging out dingy "native" eating holes with no English menus), but it just seems like an easy option with very young children. Getting them fed and to bed will be easier this way. The youngest just started weaning too.
  • Red-Moose 16 Apr 2009 13:27:36 5,344 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Avoid giving them pills if you are planning on taking them clubbing; it will cause problems, no question.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2009 13:29:05 89,929 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You'll probably still find it easier if you go s/c with a villa. Although they'll prob be bored, which is where the hotel clubs etc come in...
  • billythekid 16 Apr 2009 13:41:06 12,357 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    We are looking for a week away with the children (0,3 and 5)

Strange names to give your children 0_o
  • Nasty 16 Apr 2009 13:43:02 4,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    The thought of sitting in a hotel and eating hotel food appalls me (I like digging out dingy "native" eating holes with no English menus), but it just seems like an easy option with very young children. Getting them fed and to bed will be easier this way. The youngest just started weaning too.

Exactly what I thought. I had a 5, 3, and 1 year old at the time. Essentially though you are taking your kids to a restuarant for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week. Stress-tastic.

If you do go for it make sure the hotel offers some kind of 'picnic' service where they will make up lunch for you to take out with you so you dont spend the enitre time in sheep mode following the crowd back and forth from the pool to the restaurant.
  • Angel_Treats 16 Apr 2009 13:45:22 11,070 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We went to Lido di Jesolo in Italy a couple of years ago. Hardly any Brits at all, very nice and clean and friendly, less than an hour to Venice if you want to go for the day, great waterpark and minigolf and stuff, lovely lovely beach. We went half board which was breakfast and evening meal but you could find all inclusive.
  • DaM 16 Apr 2009 17:58:55 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thanks everyone - too many choices and options, it's worse than buying new gadgets.
  • crashVoodoo 25 May 2016 21:22:48 6,325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    necro bump but why create a new thread.

for those that have gone all inclusive, how much currency would you suggest taking ?

we've only ever gone s/c in villas, so a/i is a first. We're (2 adults, 2 kids) off to tenerife all inclusive in a family hotel for 2 weeks.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 21:24:51 25-05-2016
  • Deleted user 25 May 2016 21:24:47
    Enough to tip your barman and for excursions and to escape the hell that is all inclusive in Europe
  • ibenam 25 May 2016 22:17:42 3,212 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    500 notes will cover you - 20 a day for activities, souvenir junk etc etc
  • crashVoodoo 26 May 2016 00:35:26 6,325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @ibenam thanks, we've gone for about that, 700 I was just curious if it would be enough really.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.