Rate the last book you read Page 77

• Mola_Ram 4 Apr 2018 01:01:22 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If I'm being generous, he's probably been under a lot of pressure after The Martian was such a success. If his publishers are expecting another best-seller, then he might be limited in how far he can stray from the proven formula.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2018 15:19:07 28,767 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hyperion

One of the sci fi classics that I kept seeing on lists of must read sci-fi. And now I have.

It's as good as people say.
  • spindle9988 4 Apr 2018 15:38:30 4,799 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I cannot finish the last GoT book for love nor money. Need to visit another eorld very quickly.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2018 15:56:11 28,767 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @spindle9988 the world building in Hyperion is excellent. Read that. Plus it's episodical so you can read it in chunks.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Apr 2018 15:58:55 31,950 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Hyperion

One of the sci fi classics that I kept seeing on lists of must read sci-fi. And now I have.

It's as good as people say.
    /high five

Probably my favourite novel.
  • solidsneek 4 Apr 2018 22:42:41 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finished Artemis - meh very basic science book (They won't be making a film out of this that's for sure) very basic cast and they didn't really create a setting you could sink in to. Possibly going to read man in the high castle next any views??
  • JoelStinty 23 Apr 2018 18:56:15 7,012 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman.

Actually read this a couple of weeks ago. A great retelling of Norse Mythology. Each Chapter is it's own fable, and it reads very much like a fireside telling. It's beautifully told, and by its conclusion it cleverly brings each story together to form one overriding story.

Edited by JoelStinty at 19:00:50 23-04-2018
  • drhcnip 23 Apr 2018 19:33:25 6,131 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JoelStinty

looking forward to this, it's on my to-read stack...love mythology and this will fit nicely after i've finished god of war...

hoping it's better than the relatively disappointing mythos from stephen fry
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Apr 2018 19:50:40 8,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm busy reading Earthsea from the beginning. Another case of not reading a classic because I never felt I needed to and now I'm feeling like a tit for thinking that.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2018 20:00:37
    @JoelStinty

Sounds good. I'm actually got a book and graphic novels on the go at the moment. Dead reckoning which is the true story of a couple who got murdered onboard a yacht that was part of a sale (Pretty harrowing story) and i've just started the walking dead compendium 1.
  • JoelStinty 23 Apr 2018 20:34:59 7,012 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @JoelStinty

looking forward to this, it's on my to-read stack...love mythology and this will fit nicely after i've finished god of war...

hoping it's better than the relatively disappointing mythos from stephen fry
    Mythos is actually on my to read list,
    A friend at work recommended it after talking I was talking about this. Shall give it ago though.

Norse is clearly written by someone that loves and knows the subject matter. He manages to make everything feel so alive. I guess after writing various incarnations of some of the characters in some of his works like sandman and American gods he really understands each character and locations. I really enjoyed it. Like all of his years of working with them as been let out and allowed to flourish in this book
  • JoelStinty 23 Apr 2018 20:39:18 7,012 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Addy_B

Yeah I tend to read one book, one graphic novel. Hard to keep up with everything though! Been reading southern bastards which is great, and now I stared to listening to S town which is a perfect accompaniment to it in many ways.

A work colleague as leant me a Dan Abnett warhammer book. Not really a warhammer fan so not sure if I get into it. Itís a bit over wordy at the moment but I see how it goes!
  • Deleted user 23 April 2018 20:52:05
    JoelStinty wrote:
    @Addy_B

Yeah I tend to read one book, one graphic novel. Hard to keep up with everything though! Been reading southern bastards which is great, and now I stared to listening to S town which is a perfect accompaniment to it in many ways.

A work colleague as leant me a Dan Abnett warhammer book. Not really a warhammer fan so not sure if I get into it. Itís a bit over wordy at the moment but I see how it goes!
    Yeah I just have no time. Really barely any free time. I should really start taking my kindle to work but a lot of the time my lunch can be cut short due to me being needed.
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2018 20:17:19 87,395 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A Man Called Ove. Absolutely outstanding. I think I have something in my eye. Charming, funny, sad and one of the best translations ever it seems, as it got all the colloquialisms spot on. Loved it.
  • GoatApocalypse 7 May 2018 21:22:52 4,941 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Since they done fucked the search function, is there a poetry thread?

I've just read Walking to Martha's Vineyard by Franz Wright and I find myself craving more. I've no idea where to start.
  • drhcnip 7 May 2018 23:00:12 6,131 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JoelStinty

Sorry, only just seen your post.... Mythos was great in parts but then jarred horribly at times with some modern anachronism and trying to draw parallels with modern family dysfunction.... I think it would have worked well as an audio book, especially as he narrated it....
  • Nitrous 20 May 2018 15:31:34 1,744 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Painting The Sand
    A really good insight into the war in Afghanistan and the work of ATO's from Kim Hughes, himself a British army bomb disposal expert. Really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down while I was on holiday. 10/10

12 strong
    Following the true story of a small band of special forces soldiers who secretly entered Afghanistan and fought against the Taliban on horse back. I didn't finish this book as it was difficult to keep track of what was going on. Lots of different characters and it kept jumping between each group sometimes focusing on the mission and other times focusing on home life.
  • ReinaHW 20 May 2018 21:54:30 45 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Transformers: The Definitive Generation 1 Collection - Volume 45~ The Last Stand Of The Wreckers

9.5/10

An excellent story much in the vein of movies like The Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare and more.

A group of Autobots called The Wreckers and their new recruits are sent to ascertain what has happened on a prison planet that has been silent for three years, what they find is much worse than they expected and the Wreckers find themselves outgunned, outmanned and with no chance of survival.

A truly excellent read with a strong undercurrent that heroes are never really heroes, they are usually just people sent in to do the dirty work and all too often don't make it out alive even if they do survive.
    Highly recommended.

Currently reading Gone Girl which is also quite excellent so far, can't say much more than that until I've read the entire book but I am quite enjoying it at this time.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jul 2018 12:10:29 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unsub

A thriller-type page-turner from Meg Gardiner, dubbed as THE SCARIEST THING SINCE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. It's about a serial killer called The Prophet, who disappears for 20 years and decides to start killing again.

It was... fine. A bit trashy, but the characters were pretty well-written for the genre. But (and I'm going to put the main twist in spoiler-tags here, so don't look if you're planning on reading this) it is SUCH a cliche to have a serial killer patterning their crimes after Dante's Inferno. I read a couple of the murders and thought "surely it can't be this obvious, surely one of their serial killer experts has read a book before", but no, that was pretty much it. It was beyond a cliche when Dan Brown did it, and it's not any better now. It also sucks to see Inferno being dragged out yet again for the freaky murder shit, rather than anything that's actually interesting about it. And why can't people pattern their shit off of Purgatorio or Paradisio, just for a change?

*cough*

Erm, so it's probably worth an afternoon read, but don't expect anything special.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:18:42 09-07-2018
  • DMJ 9 Jul 2018 14:49:28 840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay

A horror novel about acute schizophrenia and/or demonic possession.

There are three strands to follow:

1. A media blogger discussing the reality TV show that was made about the family fifteen years earlier (the excitable style of these put me off at first, but I got used to it);

2. One of the family members discussing the case in the present day of the novel (the late 2020s, I think) with a journalist wanting to write a book about it;

3. What actually happened, narrated by the youngest member of the family.

It was great, quite creepy in places (and, as everyone says, I'm not usually scared by horror novels), but I don't want to say too much more.

9/10

(I know Amazon is evil and everything, but it's £2.80 on Kindle at the moment.)

Edited by DMJ at 14:50:16 09-07-2018
  • vanDevious 9 Jul 2018 15:00:15 338 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really like David Wong's jdate series and just finishing a re-read of the 3, one recommendation that has popped up from there is Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilen and seems to have decent reviews. Anyone recommend for or against it?
  • GuiltySpark 9 Jul 2018 16:08:06 6,771 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DMJ wrote:
    A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay

A horror novel about acute schizophrenia and/or demonic possession.

9/10

(I know Amazon is evil and everything, but it's £2.80 on Kindle at the moment.)
    DO NOT get the audiobook version. The narrator is HORRIBLE.
  • RichDC 14 Jul 2018 22:44:48 7,991 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker

A fascinating yet ultimately terrifying study on the importance of sleep. To sum it up; we aren't getting enough sleep and our modern lifestyles defy 3.5 million years of evolution. Sleeping is the cure and prevention for most ailments. It's the most of important part of a living beings life cycle.

If true, we're fucked, but getting a good night's sleep could save us.

Edited by RichDC at 22:46:37 14-07-2018

Edited by RichDC at 22:46:59 14-07-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Jul 2018 23:03:05 4,941 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Paul Auster - 4321

I'm only half way in but wow. I love Auster - he's probably my favourite living novelist - and this is quite brilliant. It's a different beat from most of his work but that's no bad thing.
  • GoatApocalypse 18 Aug 2018 09:24:57 4,941 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just to confirm that 4321 is great and you should all read it.
  • rice_sandwich 18 Aug 2018 09:40:33 4,910 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RichDC

What a coincidence. I bought Why We Sleep yesterday. Looking forward to reading it.
  • Tonka 21 Aug 2018 19:50:53 28,767 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching: A Book about the Way and the Power of the Way (The Ursula K LeGuin translation with comments)

I've been to so many Taoist temples in China that I thought I should familiarise my self a bit more with the whole thing. Found out that my favorite author was a big Taoist (the philosophy, not the religion) and that she had published a translation of the cornerstone.

Easy read on one level. Complete head fuck on another. Will read again. And again. And again.
  • GoatApocalypse 24 Aug 2018 20:40:59 4,941 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ will check that out.

Just finished Pablo Coelho - The Alchemist. It's a bit trite at times but that's too be expected of a fable. I enjoyed it and took some insight from it.

Now onto Dostoyevsky - Crime & Punishment. Cheery...
  • elstoof 24 Aug 2018 22:33:54 21,964 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Which translation?
  • brokenkey 25 Aug 2018 10:32:19 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O, by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland

Excellent, classic sci-fi very much in the spirit of earlier Stephenson works. 10/10.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.