Rate the last book you read Page 81

Next Last
  • Mola_Ram 8 Feb 2019 13:45:40 19,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dark Tower 7: THE DARK TOWER

Bloated and even more meta than the last one. I guess the advantage of putting yourself in the story is that you can make whatever contrivances you like and handwave the explanation away with "well, the writer put them there to help us AND DON'T QUESTION IT ANY MORE THAN THAT". Ugh.

It's a mess, basically. But... I love, love, love the ending. Even though it probably feels more appropriate for the Roland of the first book, rather than the one that ends the story.

7.2/10
  • RichDC 8 Feb 2019 13:54:09 8,078 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My biggest problem with The Dark Tower is Mordred. I just don't understand why King thought it would be a good idea to create a new bad guy that would go on to effortlessly kill Flag (who I remember being great) and then have him die of food poisoning! Was Roland even aware of his existence? I don't remember.

But yes, I did like the ending.

Edited by RichDC at 13:54:42 08-02-2019
  • Mola_Ram 8 Feb 2019 14:00:29 19,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Roland knew. But yes, the book has a bit of a villain problem. You can't build something up and up as the big threat of the story, only to just erase it out of existence with no trouble at all.

I love the ending, but the climax is... anti-climactic.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 14:08:10 08-02-2019
  • Murbs 8 Feb 2019 16:21:43 24,167 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've become a real fan of Adrian Tchaikovsky of late. Anyone else? Currently reading Children of Time, but also loved Dogs of War. Great sci-fi. His fantasy is good too - recently finished Spiderlight which was excellent.
  • RyanDS 8 Feb 2019 16:24:25 12,518 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only read Children of Time, but that was fucking amazing.

Not the most enjoyable sci fi of the past few years*, but I think it may be the best.

*I've enjoyed some rip roaring "yarns" more, but objectively they don't stand up.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Feb 2019 16:34:02 32,565 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, Children of Time was amazing. I've already pre-ordered the sequel, which I don't think I've ever done for a book before.

Got Dogs of War on the list to read too.
  • Drakesmoke 8 Feb 2019 17:00:27 503 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pratchett's Equal Rites. A re-read from childhood and possibly more appreciated as an adult.

I like the first two Discworld novels a great deal but I really feel Pratchett found his craft here, his prose is a lot more descriptive and takes its time nicely.

9/10, Mort, which I am now half way through is a 10 IMO.

With regards the Dark Tower, I agree that it's possibly my favourite ending in fiction.
  • Tonka 11 Feb 2019 06:28:44 29,039 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Semiosis by Sue Burke

A classic sci-fi that managed to feel surprisingly fresh. A group of humans arrive at a distant world to build utopia. Soon they discover that plants are intelligent and the dominant species. Not all plants seem happy about the humans, and not all plants seem happy about each other.

Great book. At times tense, scary, exciting, thought provoking and more. Manages to say things about our world today without being on the nose.

Looking forward to more books from the same author.
  • JoelStinty 11 Feb 2019 09:01:26 7,230 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Pratchett's Equal Rites. A re-read from childhood and possibly more appreciated as an adult.

I like the first two Discworld novels a great deal but I really feel Pratchett found his craft here, his prose is a lot more descriptive and takes its time nicely.

9/10, Mort, which I am now half way through is a 10 IMO.

With regards the Dark Tower, I agree that it's possibly my favourite ending in fiction.
    Yeah i started to doing a re-read from the start of disc world and it is a joy seeing how much better he gets at it with each book. I think i only read up up to Monstrous regiment and then uni life amongst other things got in the way ( i don't why because i carried on reading) so looking forward to reading the later books. Jingo is my next book. Looking forward to reading Time and Fifth elephant again as they were my favourites way back then.

Anyway,

The Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula Le Guin

Really good. Short, sweet and surprisingly dense. Expected to rattle through it because of its short length, but Ursula gets a lot in with little and took me a little longer than i expected to finish. She got a good knack of pointing you in the right direction with what you should be thinking about when reading too, you don't miss too many important details.

4.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:02:23 11-02-2019

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:03:37 11-02-2019
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.