Rate the last book you read Page 83

• kentmonkey 21 Apr 2019 09:02:31 23,110 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Yep, Le Guin is an excellent author.

If you haven't already, read 'The Left Hand of Darkness', which is my person favourite by her.
    Just started reading this based on the recommendations on here .... On page 60 and bouncing off it big time.

I'll give it longer but, thus far, I'm not holding up much hope of getting into it.
  • Tonka 21 Apr 2019 11:06:31 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @kentmonkey it's a tough read. I wasn't super excited whilst reading it but it's a book that lingers and grows.

It's never a breeze or a page turner though.

I'd recommend you read semiosis afterwards. Great, smart and breezy
  • kentmonkey 21 Apr 2019 11:08:03 23,110 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tonka thanks, that's useful to know.

Part of the problem might be I was expecting something different, and need to give it longer.
  • StixxUK 21 Apr 2019 19:15:03 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not "read" but currently reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, was looking for something to fill the hole left by Iain M. Banks' untimely departure and picked this up.

Finding it decent and I do think I'll see it through, but it certainly has its share of problems... Firstly being the pacing. It's not one to pick up for a few minutes at a time and you have no idea how long any given section is going to drag on for or whether it's even important. Bit of a crime against editing here. Also, there seems to be an overabundance of young naive female characters, either exploiting their sexuality or having it exploited. Makes it all a bit seedy.

I've heard Alastair Reynolds and Neal Asher are good. Either of them any better?
  • Garfy 21 Apr 2019 19:28:55 1,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @@StixxUK

I really like his stuff, really good explorations of uses of future tech.

That book in particular has one ofthe best descriptions of an alien race I've ever read
  • cov 21 Apr 2019 22:01:55 1,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Neal asher similar - pulp buy well written - alaistar reynolds a significant step up. See also richard morgan.
  • glaeken 23 Apr 2019 13:27:05 12,070 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @StixxUK You are describing the Peter F Hamilton experience. They describe absolutely everything in excruciating detail, go off for a chapter into a sub plot that you just don't care about and always have a few sexy young girls discovering themselves in sexy ways.

When they get to the point they are good author with some great idea's but they need a very good editor to take charge of their work. Their books would be so much better with a dam good editing.

Edited by glaeken at 13:27:30 23-04-2019
  • Tonka 23 Apr 2019 14:14:14 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like Alastair Reynolds. Was really glad to hear he wrote a second book in the Revenger universe.

Just stay the hell away from Chasm City.
  • RyanDS 23 Apr 2019 16:46:32 12,852 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cov wrote:
    Neal asher similar - pulp buy well written - alaistar reynolds a significant step up. See also richard morgan.
    I second Richard Morgan, but just be aware that he is even worse than Hamilton for his sex scenes. Utterly utterly cringeworthy stuff.
  • retro74 23 Apr 2019 18:49:56 2,863 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just read a golf book called 'Who's Your Caddy?' by a chap called Rick Reilly. The author has released a book about Donald Trump this month writing how he's a massive cheat in both golf and life so I read this old one as a bit of a pre-read

It's from around 2002 and does includes a chapter where he caddies for Trump and sees first hand what a cheat and liar the man is. It's fascinating in the way he tells lies that can be proven to be lies but still believes them himself
  • spindle9988 28 Apr 2019 18:12:02 4,962 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think most of you have read it on here but I just finished snow crash. Really enjoyed it a d was wondering if you guys could recommend another Stephenson book?
  • Mola_Ram 28 Apr 2019 23:40:37 21,257 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked Anathem.
  • Tonka 29 Apr 2019 01:06:41 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep. Anathem is probably his best book, quite different from Snow Crash though. Read The Diamond Age first, then the sprawl trilogy by William Gibson.
  • spindle9988 29 Apr 2019 14:28:19 4,962 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks guys. I actually ended up starting The rise and fall of D.O.D.O. It features The Crystal Palace which is where I grew up so I felt like it was a sign for me to read it.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 29 Apr 2019 14:33:45 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Judge Anderson: Year 1

Three short stories set in Mega City One. I loved Judge Dredd Year 1, but this was a bit naff.

Anderson came across as a right wuss and the book was poorly written with a lot of “he said”, “she said” and repetition of words and phrases that jarred. First story was the best, but that’s not saying a lot. If this sort of stuff can get published, I should have stuck with trying to be a writer.

2/10
  • JoelStinty 29 Apr 2019 16:27:23 8,080 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a few times, but picked it up on a whim yesterday and i think it is the most enjoyed reading it. Very funny, and probably the most i understood it in terms of themes and getting more of the jokes. Probably helped i read it in two sittings. A shame for the abrupt ending, but researching it he was writing Doctor Who Episodes as well and he decided to leave that segment to another book. I was going to wait a couple of months before i read Restaurant but might pick it up straight away.

The weird thing is, on my face book page, my memories from 9 years ago was a Hitchhikers quote so i must have been reading it then. The chances of that must be something like 276709 to one against? No?

Edited by JoelStinty at 16:27:59 29-04-2019
  • CrispyLog 6 May 2019 21:30:43 129 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I like Alastair Reynolds. Was really glad to hear he wrote a second book in the Revenger universe.

I was disappointed with Revenger. Start was pretty good but then it got a bit too shallow, as any place/person/tech mentioned would come up again in the plot and seemed really obvious and one dimensional.
  • RyanDS 6 May 2019 21:45:10 12,852 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyLog wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

I was disappointed with Revenger. Start was pretty good but then it got a bit too shallow, as any place/person/tech mentioned would come up again in the plot and seemed really obvious and one dimensional.
    I just finished his short story collection. Some really great stuff in there. I drifted away from him years ago, but need to catch up.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 May 2019 23:21:14 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Spark Joy - some tiny Japanese lass

Basically seems to suggest you throw out anything that doesn’t “spark joy” when you touch it. I realised she wasn’t really all there when after throwing all her tools out she snapped a favourite ruler trying to screw in a screw. Okay, so my toolbox isn’t something that makes me glow with pleasure, but I’d be pissed if I chucked everything in it and then had to buy things over again when I did need them.

Didn’t finish the book (ages spent discussing how to categorise makeup did for me) but learnt some things and my folded drawers look a lot more tidy now and I’ve chucked the things I still had from the 80’s.

If you’re a complete scruffy bastard this might be good, but it’s aimed more at women and it’s a minimalistic solution to the problem of having too much crap.

4/10. Mostly for the folding advice. No idea why it became a “ life changing “ phenomena.
  • TheSaint 6 May 2019 23:49:33 18,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You could have saved a lot of time by just watching her show on Netflix.

Edited by TheSaint at 23:49:45 06-05-2019
  • Tonka 7 May 2019 06:26:03 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CrispyLog wrote:
    I was disappointed with Revenger. Start was pretty good but then it got a bit too shallow
    His endings are even weaker than Kings. When I read Chasm City I felt that it was one of the top 10 books I've ever read, until about half way through. The last third was in the bottom 10, if not the absolute bottom.

But I think his worlds are so fantastic that I can forgive him on many occasions. Revenger had a shit ending but I thought the world was so damn cool I didn't mind. I've read a short story collection called Chima Blue and it is full of really great sci-fi.
  • Dougs 7 May 2019 08:23:48 90,274 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    You could have saved a lot of time by just watching her show on Netflix.
    And be warned, watching this risks your drawers looking like a serial killer's.
  • Addy__ 19 May 2019 13:35:28 1,458 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Are there any worthwhile ebook subs + readers besides kindle unlimited and the Kindle itself? I know the 5 big publishers aren't signed up to unlimited so I've been looking at Scribd which looks decent but my knowledge of readers beyond a kindle is zero.
  • jrmat 19 May 2019 18:28:00 109 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ascent by Jed Mercurio.

It's a fake history account. A good solid read. A bit on the minimalist side but well, particularly as it stretches over 3 time periods.
  • JoelStinty 22 May 2019 09:07:19 8,080 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Restaurant at the end of the universe - Douglas Adams

Funny. A lot of memorable scenes, that are far more out there then the first book. Maybe suffers from following a plot line about a character who doesn't quite know what he is chasing so everything hangs together a bit loose, but it ends on a satisfying conclusion.

After Dark - Murakami

Murakami as always been a bit of a conundrum to me. I always seem to have an itch to read his books, more so than any other author. But i'm still trying to put my finger on him and why I enjoy but get frustrated with his work so much. I think i have found over the years, he can write great beginnings, but i tend to find his books just kind of peter out. Except this one! (and thinking on it, Norwegian wood).

I really enjoyed this, it is short, sweet, and beautifully written and it had an ending which really elevated the whole book whilst bringing everything together. It helps that there are only a few threads to deal with. Magic/realism is kept to a minimum in this - which is important because it allows his prose to really come to life, and in doing so, naturally brings in otherworldly feelings and atmosphere. The last few chapters are really dreamy and poetic and its Murakami at the top of his game. It's Murakami stripped right back and his work is more poignant for it. Think this might be one of my favourites of his.
  • JoelStinty 22 May 2019 09:08:03 8,080 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Edit. Double post.

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:09:18 22-05-2019
  • Tonka 22 May 2019 09:46:03 29,773 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Stone Sky

Third and final book in the Broken Earth Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. While it doesn't hit as hard as the first book it's a really good solid end. I wish other fantasy authors could be this productive, creative, able to finish what they start.

A rich unique fantasy series that I'm constantly thinking back on.

A must read
  • Mola_Ram 28 May 2019 14:52:33 21,257 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently reading Pet Semetary for the first time.

It's a little bit annoying coming to something like this so late. You know how it's going to go, you know that terrible things are going to happen. And I can't help but think about what it would have been like to read it fresh, before it had become this cultural institution.

This doesn't make it bad, of course. I love it so far! I just wish I hadn't absorbed so much of it before this point.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 28 May 2019 17:25:45 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Happy - Derren Brown.

Not a fan of this book. I thought it would be a guide to how to be Happy in modern day society. It kind of was, but it was a guide that was hidden away inside a lot of obscurely worded waffle alongside an history of philosophy, a guide to Death and why he doesn't think there's a God or afterlife and telling me that fame isn't as wonderful as I might think.

As a consequence it was a very dull book in places and the take aways were few and far between. Basically the secret to happiness seems to be mindfulness, not wanting stuff, acceptance and... stuff I can't remember as it was buried under chapters about how wonderful Marcus Aurelius was. That's the real problem with the book. It's message is lost under all the other dross. Could have been a quarter of the size and I might have remembered what his points were. The book really needed chapter reviews.

4/10 Again, not life changing by any stretch.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.