Rate the last book you read Page 87

• barchetta 26 Dec 2019 02:12:32 2,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, the box set is cracking. I had a Paperwhite for Christmas and one of my first Kindle purchases was a collection of MR James for 85p!
  • celesteernst 26 Dec 2019 03:31:33 1 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I haven't had to read much outside of school and work-related texts (and self-indulgent fanfiction), but I am enjoying putting together a wishlist based on the comments here.

I tried to read The Magicians series earlier this year but abandoned it about halfway through the second book. I liked the concept and the writing style, but I didn't like the characters, especially Quentin. It's difficult to push on when you don't like the main character.
  • Deleted user 26 December 2019 08:26:59
    Darkness at Sethanon. Last book of the Magician series (a different one to the above). Got a bit sick of it half way through. Too many near escapes and too predictable in places. Also seemed every horse got tired and lame. Not bad and it tied the three books together but it felt like a drag by the end and I nearly just looked up the plot.
  • JoelStinty 26 Dec 2019 09:04:11 8,492 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I am currently going through the disc world books.(just finishing sourcery). Terry Pratchett is clearly one of the best writers!
    Aye I been doing that for the last couple to years. Started the Last Continent yesterday. The wonderful thing with him is that his books keep getting better and better.

I spent 50 quid on the disc world store for my birthday earlier in the year. Picked up a couple of the hardback books, a soul music t shirt (band with rocks in metal tee), a tote back and some ookmarks. Fully geeked out haha
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2019 09:13:10 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Raymond E. Feist, but after Magician it felt like too many of his characters were hyper-competent geniuses with no significant flaws whatsoever. It never really felt like they were in danger, so a lot of the tension went out of the books for me.
  • Razz 26 Dec 2019 09:57:12 643 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Blood World by BV Larson

Part of the undyning mercenaries Sci Fi series.

I'm really enjoying it, but i admit its bit of a guilty pleasure as its not the hard sci fi i usually read, but its loads of fun. The seriesbl is kind of like starship troopers, but in this the troopers are able to be resurrected almost instantly after death; Leading to some interesting war tactics.
  • Deleted user 26 December 2019 11:05:31
    @Mola_Ram yep. Also I could spot straight away who was just introduced to get killed later on so the main characters were safe. That and any time a main single character meet a woman that was (obviously) beautiful, I knew exactly where it was heading and that Father Tully would get involved sooner rather than later.
  • Malek86 26 Dec 2019 15:58:03 9,373 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished reading The Treasure of the Sierra Madre today.

Light reading, nothing memorable, but it's a decent book. Never actually watched the movie, but I can see that it would make for an easy script.
  • jrmat 26 Dec 2019 17:21:13 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished Black Echo by Michael Connelly. My first book of his and first in the Bosch series. Good one, well written, good character development and plot.
  • jrmat 2 Jan 2020 12:49:39 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Woman In the window by AJ Finn. Good book, excellent for a debut novel. A clever writer, lots of depth. The climax is fantastic. There's a lot of build up, a lot. The dust jacket mentions she witnessed a crime, this doesn't happen until page 120 something. The book could have bee a good 50 pages shorter and not lost anything. Worth a read of you fancy a psychological thriller. The main character is written very well, is complex, well thought out and realistic.
  • drhickman1983 2 Jan 2020 15:27:55 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Secret Commonwealth - Philip Pullman

The second in his Book of Dust trilogy, which is the sequel to His Dark Materials.

I really rather enjoyed it, but there are issues. It was good to see Lyra again, and the now fractious relationship with her daemon Pan was quite moving, and felt like analogous to depression.

The journeys that she and Pan undertake see then moving through a number of vignettes, sometimes fantastical, other times harrowing.

There's also a B plot that sees Malcom, the protagonist from the first book, embark on what is a spy adventure. It's been remarked that maybe he's too adept to be believable but it didn't take occur to me.

And underpinning everything there's some intriguing Machiavellian goings on in the holy magisterium, and the world events mirror suns recent events in our world, from big pharmas influence on the global stage, the refugee crisis, terrorism. Some of the events might be a bit too on the nose for some.

There's also a surprising level of violence at times, a little bit nastier than what we saw in His Dark Materials. There's also some sexual violence at one point that felt maybe a little unnecessary.

It does feel like Pullman is angry at the world, for understandable reasons, so at times the author tract was a bit more obvious, but his capacity to write and describe characters and events in an engaging and economical way pervades.

8/10 very much look forward to the conclusion
  • TechnoHippy 2 Jan 2020 15:43:25 16,021 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Child of God - Cormac McCarthy

A pretty horrific character story about a very twisted individual. His writing is very direct, with some unusual (for me anyway) idioms. Not his best book, but and effective read.

7/10

Edit: I must learn to remember people's names :-(

Edited by TechnoHippy at 10:15:23 03-01-2020
  • Deleted user 2 January 2020 21:18:36
    The Many Coloured Land

The Golden Torc

Both by Julian May and part of a sci-fi series called A Saga of The Pliocene. I read these decades ago and loved them. They're about a group of people who take a one way time gate from the future earth to the Pliocene era 6 million years ago. Unfortunately there not the first sentient lifeform to get there.

Really well written, but with an overuse of "big words' which meant I was looking up meanings of words much more often than I'd like. That aside it had none of the fluff that I feel I need to plough through in so many books. If anything, the rather large books felt short by the time I'd got to the end of them. Full of well researched information and great plot.

I'd highly recommend but they're hard to get hold of outside of ebooks these days.

9/10

On to the third.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jan 2020 22:03:45 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Child of God - John McCormak

A pretty horrific character story about a very twisted individual. His writing is very direct, with some unusual (for me anyway) idioms. Not his best book, but and effective read.

7/10
    You mean Cormac McCarthy?

Yeah, it's not one of his best books. But it's one of his first, and I think he was still developing as a writer at that point.
  • Dougs 2 Jan 2020 22:15:14 92,086 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Finished Black Echo by Michael Connelly. My first book of his and first in the Bosch series. Good one, well written, good character development and plot.
    I'm a big fan of the Bosch series. They aren't exactly original,but Connelly has a nice style that's easy to read without being dumbed down like some crime writers. There's a new one out that I need to pick up at some point.
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Jan 2020 22:19:54 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Do they ever find out who got the power pack in the Bosch stories
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Jan 2020 22:20:07 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ahh shit, that was a Makita
  • Dougs 2 Jan 2020 22:21:08 92,086 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    De Walt I thought?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jan 2020 23:44:59 12,202 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I am currently going through the disc world books.(just finishing sourcery). Terry Pratchett is clearly one of the best writers!
    I still kick myself for giving mine all away when I first moved in with the future Mrs Maybe. It was a tiny flat sacrifices were made but now itís become surprising difficult to buy them back with the original paperback covers (the new artwork sucks so Iím only picking up second hands as I see them).
  • JoelStinty 3 Jan 2020 06:33:18 8,492 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:

7/10

Yeah, it's not one of his best books. But it's one of his first, and I think he was still developing as a writer at that point.
    I did enjoy it for his direct writing though. I donít think I have ever got past 50 pages of surtee. I really struggle to get a handle on his writing in that one.
  • JoelStinty 3 Jan 2020 06:34:53 8,492 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I still kick myself for giving mine all away when I first moved in with the future Mrs Maybe. It was a tiny flat sacrifices were made but now itís become surprising difficult to buy them back with the original paperback covers (the new artwork sucks so Iím only picking up second hands as I see them).
    I did the same :( but i been buying those hardback versions theyíve released. Not Kirby! But they look nice I think and look good on a book shelf. Canít beat a good Hardback!
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jan 2020 10:14:46 16,021 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:

7/10

Oops - yes I do.
  • boo 3 Jan 2020 19:11:10 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A warning. If anyone gives you a copy of "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" punch them repeatedly in the face until they take it away again. And should you find yourself idly browsing in a bookshop, and you pick it up and read the blurb (as I did), punch yourself repeatedly in the face until you put it down again.

Under no circumstances attempt to read this book. You will hate yourself, you will hate the author and you will mourn the hours lost to the endeavour.

It sounds good when you read the cover. A murder mystery in an old house. The protagonist wakes up as a different person each day, reliving the day over and over again, trying to solve the murder before poor Evelyn dies at 11pm for the umpteenth time.

Indeed, if you read the author's note, he says he wanted to write an 'Agatha Christie, country house style mystery.'

Yes, Stuart Turton, that's what you wanted to write. But what you created was a steaming pile of literary manure, and I can only imagine that the quotes that are on the cover were either taken out of context or you have compromising pictures of the authors.

I cannot begin to describe how toe-curlingly bad this book is. The writing is dull, the characters are all so one-dimensional they merge into one, the plot so mind-manglingly convoluted that you would need to create a Gantt chart of all the characters movements and timelines to have a hope of understanding what's going on, and then at the finale, the denoument is something that the average five year old would have been embarrassed to have written.

Avoid. Like. The. Plague.
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2020 16:10:41 30,116 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You made me want to read it.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Jan 2020 17:21:08 15,040 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Same
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2020 17:49:52 92,086 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Haha, I thought exactly the same
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2020 20:05:29 30,116 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Let's all go and punch boo in the face
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2020 22:46:13 12,202 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My pledge to not add to my too read pile this year hasnít gone well - picked up two today
  • barchetta 4 Jan 2020 23:08:03 2,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @boo I've started this book so many times but found things get in the way. I guess it should be read as quickly as possible to maximize coherence.

It's almost game-like in the multiple characters 'inhabited' by narrator and the whole 'same day from different viewpoints' re-runs. Could perhaps make a better film than book?
  • barchetta 4 Jan 2020 23:09:23 2,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe My physical pile is small - but I got a PaperWhite for Christmas. The backlog - is growing!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.