Rate the last book you read Page 89

• TechnoHippy 4 Feb 2020 11:05:11 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    If you're a Dan Simmons fan (as I am, loved The Terror too) and like sci-fi, then read Hyperion. It's real good.
    Good shout - the Shrike was excellent.
  • Nazo 4 Feb 2020 11:10:00 1,327 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

From memory, the thing that really annoyed me was it getting all author tract-ey with the anti-religion/pro-evolutionary-theory stuff.
    I would say the books are anti dogma / organised religion. I donít really remember evolution featuring at all.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:11:21 23,705 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @Mola_Ram The anti-religion is the core theme of the books - it's essentially Paradise Lost, so doesn't really deviate from that :-)
    Yeah, I get that. But it didn't really feel in-your-face in the first book. I mean yeah, the evil organisation is basically the Catholic church, but that's true about a lot of religious organisations in fiction. From what I can remember, it didn't get really... preachy about it until the 2nd or 3rd book.

But I am relying on my fuzzy memory, so I'll hold off on commenting more until I read the thing again. :)
  • wuntyate 4 Feb 2020 11:11:22 14,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Cheers, I've seen that and was actually debating if I wanted to add another Dan Simmons to my list or not but didn't really know where to start. I'll queue that one up as it did look intruiging. Is it the first of a series?
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:14:16 23,705 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @Mola_Ram Cheers, I've seen that and was actually debating if I wanted to add another Dan Simmons to my list or not but didn't really know where to start. I'll queue that one up as it did look intruiging. Is it the first of a series?
    It is, yeah. But it's a few complete little stories linked together in an overarching narrative, so imo you can enjoy it without feeling like you need to commit to a whole series.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:16:47 23,705 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God I'd love it as a TV series. It's the sort of thing I think Damon Lindelof would adapt fantastically well.
  • wuntyate 4 Feb 2020 11:24:20 14,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Brilliant, cheers man.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:35:56 23,705 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

From memory, the thing that really annoyed me was it getting all author tract-ey with the anti-religion/pro-evolutionary-theory stuff.
    I would say the books are anti dogma / organised religion. I donít really remember evolution featuring at all.
    I remember some world filled with weird elephant things that shoehorned evolution in there at some point. But again, I could be remembering it wrongly.

Anyway, it's not going to be a very productive conversation if I can't be less vague, so I'll stop now. :)
  • TechnoHippy 4 Feb 2020 12:14:59 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    God I'd love it as a TV series. It's the sort of thing I think Damon Lindelof would adapt fantastically well.
    There was talk of a TV series a while back.
  • jrmat 6 Feb 2020 15:07:48 199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I haven't read gone girl, but after the hype I assumed this would be a stellar read. It wasn't. A lot of reliving memories which made it hard work and the moving of first and third person didn't work for me.

Edited by jrmat at 08:43:27 07-02-2020
  • TechnoHippy 6 Feb 2020 15:09:52 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker

I love Barker's earlier works and this was a captivating story I've read many times :-) It's more of a teen tale, but does have some true horror moments. Not quite the Hellbound Heart, but still a fine read - and a quick one too :-)

8/10
  • jrmat 6 Feb 2020 15:34:22 199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Behind Closed Doors by BA Paris.

Enjoyed this. Clever book with a limited number of characters that was easy to follow and built up the tension nicely. A domestic thriller. Not the fastest pace until the last third. There were jumps in time but I thought these were done well and we're never confusing.
  • Nazo 8 Feb 2020 18:22:00 1,327 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    World Engines: Destroyer - Stephen Baxter

I quite enjoyed Baxter's Long Earth collaboration with Terry Pratchett and a lot of the same ideas and themes are recognizable here but I didn't enjoy it as much. The main character is an ass (seemingly a commonly-held opinion from the other books he's featured in as well), and the first half of the book really drags. The second act is better but then the final part feels rushed with an unsatisfying conclusion. Supposedly this is the first book in a trilogy but it didn't exactly leave me wanting more.
    2/5
  • TechnoHippy 13 Feb 2020 17:42:31 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Mariner by Ade Grant

Another re-read of one of my favourite novels. It's extremely dark and twisted, and more than a little surreal. It's one hell of a journey and the ending manages to be both mundane and quite amazing at the same time.

10/10
  • wuntyate 13 Feb 2020 20:17:01 14,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TechnoHippy just bought the mariner based on your review. Looks pretty much up my street!
  • TechnoHippy 14 Feb 2020 08:10:59 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate I hope you like it - I warn you that it is quite messed up, but one hell of a story :-)
  • Tonka 19 Feb 2020 11:37:35 30,820 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I read a Swedsih book in swedish for a change and thought I wouldn't review it since most of you probably won't be able to read it. Then it turned out that
    1. It's aavailable in english
    2. The prequel has been turned into an english language film called Informer

The book I read is called Three Minutes and it's in the Jack Reacher genre of unbeatable superguy does really kick ass cool things and never fails, and as such it was a decent entry. A bit slow to take off and sometimes a bit too cheesy. But after 1/3 it was a real page turner.
  • robc84 19 Feb 2020 23:07:24 14,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve just worked my way through all the Bernard cornwell stuff (which was pretty much all great) and looking for something else to start on.

Iím thinking Stephen King, but whatís a good place to start? The Dark Tower?
  • Trowel 19 Feb 2020 23:47:07 23,406 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Start with a classic standalone King novel, something like Salems Lot, Needful Things, or Pet Sematary would be good benchmarks.

The way to work out if you're enjoying King is to read them in the middle of the night and go to the toilet, then see if you feel the need to look over your shoulder....

If you're getting on fine, read The Stand, It, and maybe try a short story collection like Skeleton Crew or Different Seasons. Then crack on with pretty much anything he wrote in the 70s or 80s; 'ware the 90s, a lot of wasted trees.

The Dark Tower stands alone as a different King style, and it took me some years to appreciate.
  • wuntyate 20 Feb 2020 00:05:51 14,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally anything after early 90s King is appalling. The Dark Tower is also utter garbage. I gave up at book 4 but the two before that were shit.

But yeah. Totally. Early King is where it's at. I can't recommend The Shining enough but Pet Sematary, Salems Lot, The Stand, It... They're all brilliant. Night Shift contains short stories that were nearly all made into films and Nightmares and Dreamscapes has brilliant stories in it as well. Just work your way through the early books and once you get to Rose Madder, you've gone too far.

Actually. I enjoyed Bag of Bones and Duma Key as well. But they are pale imitations of what has come before.

Edited by wuntyate at 00:08:42 20-02-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2020 00:33:11 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Misery was my first King novel.

Then Carrie and The Shining next. Didnít finish The Stand as thousand page tomes and public transport were a bad fit.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 01:52:30 23,705 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Dark Tower isn't prefect, but it's very far from garbage. Post early-90s King isn't as good as it was, but there's still a lot of gold there. Revival is good, 11/22/63 is great, as is From a Buick 8 and Under the Dome. As are the aforementioned Bag of Bones and Duma Key.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 05:50:47 20-02-2020
  • Tonka 20 Feb 2020 05:46:39 30,820 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think Bag of Bones is a really good King book. That's 90's isn't it?
  • Trowel 20 Feb 2020 07:52:22 23,406 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I seem to remember from forewords that some of his later 90s and early 00s output was rehashes of old manuscripts which his wife dug out, presumably to keep output ticking over while he recovered from the truck accident.

My dad owned a second hand bookshop, and I think I've read just about everything King has written, including struggling through the shite like Rose Madder and The Regulators. A lot of the smaller stuff is entertaining like Blockade Billy, Cycle of the Werewolf or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Storm of the Century was a neat TV script.

My favourite King story is The Langoliers, in Four Past Midnight. The Willem Dafoe audio book is as good as it is surreal.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 08:11:34 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Based on the TV adaptation (which is rather good), I might have to give The Outsider a look. The last King book I read was Under the Dome and that had one of the worst endings known to man.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 08:12:34 23,705 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the book was pretty terrible, but maybe the TV series is better?
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 09:02:24 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Outsider show has been really good so far - an excellent blend of mystery and creepy atmosphere.
  • Tonka 20 Feb 2020 09:31:23 30,820 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The last King book I read had one of the worst endings known to man.
    FTFY

I think my taste in King books is a bit off since I enjoyed both The Regulators and Insomnia.

Really weak endings though.
  • Murbs 20 Feb 2020 09:38:25 24,813 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Fun Sci-Fi with some strong characters (including the sentient warship - sheís great); currently available for free on Prime Reading.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 09:47:56 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The last King book I read had one of the worst endings known to man.
    FTFY

I think my taste in King books is a bit off since I enjoyed both The Regulators and Insomnia.

Really weak endings though.
    Yeah - he really doesn't do endings well. I think that's partly why some of his books are so long - he just doesn't know how to stop it. Although the journey is usually worthwhile, for most of his earlier stuff.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.