Rate the last book you read Page 89

Next Last
  • TechnoHippy 4 Feb 2020 11:05:11 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    If you're a Dan Simmons fan (as I am, loved The Terror too) and like sci-fi, then read Hyperion. It's real good.
    Good shout - the Shrike was excellent.
  • Nazo 4 Feb 2020 11:10:00 1,183 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

From memory, the thing that really annoyed me was it getting all author tract-ey with the anti-religion/pro-evolutionary-theory stuff.
    I would say the books are anti dogma / organised religion. I donít really remember evolution featuring at all.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:11:21 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @Mola_Ram The anti-religion is the core theme of the books - it's essentially Paradise Lost, so doesn't really deviate from that :-)
    Yeah, I get that. But it didn't really feel in-your-face in the first book. I mean yeah, the evil organisation is basically the Catholic church, but that's true about a lot of religious organisations in fiction. From what I can remember, it didn't get really... preachy about it until the 2nd or 3rd book.

But I am relying on my fuzzy memory, so I'll hold off on commenting more until I read the thing again. :)
  • wuntyate 4 Feb 2020 11:11:22 13,790 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Cheers, I've seen that and was actually debating if I wanted to add another Dan Simmons to my list or not but didn't really know where to start. I'll queue that one up as it did look intruiging. Is it the first of a series?
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:14:16 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @Mola_Ram Cheers, I've seen that and was actually debating if I wanted to add another Dan Simmons to my list or not but didn't really know where to start. I'll queue that one up as it did look intruiging. Is it the first of a series?
    It is, yeah. But it's a few complete little stories linked together in an overarching narrative, so imo you can enjoy it without feeling like you need to commit to a whole series.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:16:47 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God I'd love it as a TV series. It's the sort of thing I think Damon Lindelof would adapt fantastically well.
  • wuntyate 4 Feb 2020 11:24:20 13,790 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Brilliant, cheers man.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2020 11:35:56 22,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

From memory, the thing that really annoyed me was it getting all author tract-ey with the anti-religion/pro-evolutionary-theory stuff.
    I would say the books are anti dogma / organised religion. I donít really remember evolution featuring at all.
    I remember some world filled with weird elephant things that shoehorned evolution in there at some point. But again, I could be remembering it wrongly.

Anyway, it's not going to be a very productive conversation if I can't be less vague, so I'll stop now. :)
  • TechnoHippy 4 Feb 2020 12:14:59 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    God I'd love it as a TV series. It's the sort of thing I think Damon Lindelof would adapt fantastically well.
    There was talk of a TV series a while back.
  • jrmat 6 Feb 2020 15:07:48 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I haven't read gone girl, but after the hype I assumed this would be a stellar read. It wasn't. A lot of reliving memories which made it hard work and the moving of first and third person didn't work for me.

Edited by jrmat at 08:43:27 07-02-2020
  • TechnoHippy 6 Feb 2020 15:09:52 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker

I love Barker's earlier works and this was a captivating story I've read many times :-) It's more of a teen tale, but does have some true horror moments. Not quite the Hellbound Heart, but still a fine read - and a quick one too :-)

8/10
  • jrmat 6 Feb 2020 15:34:22 152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Behind Closed Doors by BA Paris.

Enjoyed this. Clever book with a limited number of characters that was easy to follow and built up the tension nicely. A domestic thriller. Not the fastest pace until the last third. There were jumps in time but I thought these were done well and we're never confusing.
  • Nazo 8 Feb 2020 18:22:00 1,183 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    World Engines: Destroyer - Stephen Baxter

I quite enjoyed Baxter's Long Earth collaboration with Terry Pratchett and a lot of the same ideas and themes are recognizable here but I didn't enjoy it as much. The main character is an ass (seemingly a commonly-held opinion from the other books he's featured in as well), and the first half of the book really drags. The second act is better but then the final part feels rushed with an unsatisfying conclusion. Supposedly this is the first book in a trilogy but it didn't exactly leave me wanting more.
    2/5
  • TechnoHippy 13 Feb 2020 17:42:31 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Mariner by Ade Grant

Another re-read of one of my favourite novels. It's extremely dark and twisted, and more than a little surreal. It's one hell of a journey and the ending manages to be both mundane and quite amazing at the same time.

10/10
  • wuntyate 13 Feb 2020 20:17:01 13,790 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TechnoHippy just bought the mariner based on your review. Looks pretty much up my street!
  • TechnoHippy 14 Feb 2020 08:10:59 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @wuntyate I hope you like it - I warn you that it is quite messed up, but one hell of a story :-)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.