Rate the last book you read Page 90

• TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 09:50:39 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Fun Sci-Fi with some strong characters (including the sentient warship - she’s great); currently available for free on Prime Reading.
    Looks interesting - and for free it would be rude not too :-)
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 09:58:08 23,696 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The last King book I read had one of the worst endings known to man.
    FTFY

I think my taste in King books is a bit off since I enjoyed both The Regulators and Insomnia.

Really weak endings though.
    Yeah - he really doesn't do endings well. I think that's partly why some of his books are so long - he just doesn't know how to stop it. Although the journey is usually worthwhile, for most of his earlier stuff.
    I agree that his endings usually aren't worth the time spent getting to them.

Though I seem to be among the few that really liked the Dark Tower ending. I can definitely see how it would make people mad, but I thought it was really appropriate.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:58:29 20-02-2020
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 10:04:03 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I gave up on Dark Tower at book 5 (I think) - it started strong then lost its way.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 10:06:01 23,696 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The latter books are definitely weaker, but I was invested enough in the characters to push through to the end. It's worth doing imo.
  • wuntyate 20 Feb 2020 10:34:01 14,659 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The gunslinger was brilliant as well. Then all I can remember from the next two books was incredible racism and talking trains. I fucked them off not long after.

Actually, although I've not read The Talisman, I really enjoyed Black House he co-wrote with Peter Straub.

I think. Can't really remember it much though.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 10:35:43 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For post apocalyptic gunslingers I always enjoy the Jerusalem Man books by David Gemmel.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 10:42:12 23,696 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King has historically had problems with writing black people. It's never really been malicious or mean-spirited (aside from a couple of infamous scenes in The Stand), but it's often been pretty cringey. He's gotten a lot better, though - Susannah does improve in later Dark Tower books.
  • Trowel 20 Feb 2020 10:42:48 23,400 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The story within the story in Wizard and Glass makes it one of my favourite King books.

But having to get past Blaine the riddling train is a pisser.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2020 10:48:43 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    The story within the story in Wizard and Glass makes it one of my favourite King books.

But having to get past Blaine the riddling train is a pisser.
    I think it was the train that did it for me.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 10:56:42 23,696 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even if I hated Blaine (I don't), he's in the books for such a short time that I can't imagine him ruining the experience. But hey, opinions!
  • Murbs 20 Feb 2020 10:59:25 24,811 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Murbs wrote:
    Embers of War by Gareth Powell. Fun Sci-Fi with some strong characters (including the sentient warship - she’s great); currently available for free on Prime Reading.
    Looks interesting - and for free it would be rude not too :-)
    I felt ready to go straight into the sequels after reading it, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

(Aside: I haven’t read the sequels though because I have far too much else to read in the meantime)
  • Tonka 20 Feb 2020 11:08:35 30,818 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think that the mistake I made with The Dark Tower was that I tried to read them all back to back. I gave up on the one where it starts with the same chapter that finished the previous book. That talking train thing. I did skip the chapter but only after reading a bit too much of it to make sure it wasn't some clever deception and then everything felt samey.

I do really like King though. He has a way of writing that makes me see things vividly.

I did not particularly like Black House due to how it was written. Like a first hand eye witness recounting of things in realtime. Really annoying. Thought The Talisman was excellent.
  • robc84 20 Feb 2020 13:04:05 14,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the tips all.

I mainly read on the commute and before bed. I may start the king stuff on the former and find something else for the latter!
  • prettyvacant 20 Feb 2020 14:06:51 371 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I know this is the book thread but if you're interested in King try and dig up the Salem's Lot tv mini series , I haven't seen it in years but remember it being really good , not only do you get David Soul you also get a creaky James Mason .

The Talisman is also very good but more of a fantasy angle than his other stuff .

Edited by prettyvacant at 14:09:05 20-02-2020
  • wuntyate 20 Feb 2020 14:50:09 14,659 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @robc84 Above all, I really recommend you start with The Shining. One of my most favourite books of all time and imo the best thing King has ever written.
  • prettyvacant 20 Feb 2020 16:04:38 371 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I liked The Tommy Knockers which is famously the book he doesn't remember writing and is generally considered to not be his best , so what do I know =)
  • Dougs 20 Feb 2020 18:52:58 94,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ha, is that right? It was a bit weird, now it all makes sense.

Read a lot of Stephen King in my teens although had missed The Stand, which I read last year. Really enjoyed it. He does create great worlds and characters, even if he sometimes struggles to finish books.
  • prettyvacant 20 Feb 2020 21:12:40 371 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    To be fair to King , if any of us had the means motive and opportunity to do the drink and drugs he did we'd be lying in a pool of vomit , not knocking out second rate novels .
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2020 21:48:57 13,538 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    prettyvacant wrote:
    I liked The Tommy Knockers which is famously the book he doesn't remember writing and is generally considered to not be his best , so what do I know =)
    Although its title was classic playground slang for boobs
  • prettyvacant 21 Feb 2020 03:28:41 371 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tommy's Knockers , worst case of gynecomastia I've ever seen .
  • Tonka 21 Feb 2020 09:10:30 30,818 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aww shiiiet...

I made a classic mistake I thought I was well past. I felt like reading a Fantasy book so I ordered A Memory Called Empire that I've seen mentioned.

Then I looked it up and saw that
    a) It's Sci-Fi
    b) it's the first in a series where the other books aren't published yet.

(-‸ლ;)
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Feb 2020 10:36:04 15,795 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson.

Part 3 of a potential 10 part series (split into two 5 book time periods).

Thoroughly enjoyable read throughout but it is so big (each book is about 1200 pages) that I have forgotten almost everything that happened in the 1st two books.

Also Oathbringer suffers from being the middle part of the first period. So although plenty of things happened none seemed as impactful as they perhaps could have been.

I will be getting part 4 as soon as it comes out.
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Feb 2020 10:43:20 10,033 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I felt that Oathbringer was a step down over the first two, maybe it is the nothing impactful happening stuff but the quality of story telling dropped a bit.

Also, Shallan is becoming unbareable and I am getting annoyed with Kaladin making the wrong decisions again and again and again.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Feb 2020 10:58:10 15,795 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah Shallan is annoying.

I don’t mind Kaladin always messing up. His sulking afterwards does annoy me though.

Currently Adolin is the character I am most interested in. He seems to have followed the same basic origin story as Shallan but has not bonded a spren. And his Sword was acting out of character. Dislike his obsession with fashion though.

And Szeth. He was always the most interesting character despite only being in the Interludes of the 1st 2 books.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 11:01:21 21-02-2020
  • TechnoHippy 22 Feb 2020 14:44:37 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Wasp Factory

I always enjoy re-reading this, even knowing the ending. A pleasantly twisted story.

8/10
  • prettyvacant 22 Feb 2020 17:36:24 371 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I started off only reading horror and sci fi and I picked up Consider Phlebas because I liked the look of the picture on the cover , after reading a few of Bank's sci fi I picked up the Wasp Factory thinking it was something in the same vein , was it hell , but I enjoyed it and bought a few more of his serious fiction .
    Long story short , Wasp Factory was the book that got me reading more broadly and I have Mr. Banks to thank for it .
  • TechnoHippy 22 Feb 2020 18:11:52 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    He was an incredible author - sadly missed.
  • prettyvacant 22 Feb 2020 18:41:38 371 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The brother in Wasp Factory is some very dark humour and some very fucked up story telling .

Somehow I ended up with a signed copy of Wasp Factory and Walking on Glass , the shop owner must have just stuck them back on the shelf , unless Banks went around doing guerilla autographing .

Edited by prettyvacant at 19:44:43 22-02-2020
  • StixxUK 22 Feb 2020 19:11:09 8,323 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If anyone hasn't read Blood, Sweat & Pixels by Jason Schreier, I'd recommend it to anyone that's interested in games.

Fascinating insights into the making of some of the biggest games of recent (and in some cases not-so-recent) years, gave me a whole new appreciation for the process and the many people involved. And also made me want to go back and play some of them again with that knowledge.

Very well-written and enjoyable to read, to boot - as anyone that's familiar with Jason would expect, from Kotaku or from the Splitscreen podcast.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.