Following Rate the last book you read Page 92

• TechnoHippy 8 Apr 2020 20:19:14 18,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Top notch sci-fi. I enjoyed the first book, but this one is tighter and better. How he handles alien intelligences is simply superb.

9/10
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2020 20:42:45 23,931 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hush (Batman comic novel)

Great artwork - really popped on the tablet but I do wish I could have held the comic book itself. But it's genuinely some of the best comic book artwork around.

The story manages to mostly match the artwork. It was a bit obvious who the main character was going to be, but otherwise it was fresh take on the batman universe and I loved what they did with Catwoman.

I enjoyed it so much I'm planning on picking up the comic book when my local comic book shop reopens, to help support a small local business again as well.

• bighairybear65 15 Apr 2020 10:24:49 337 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just heard about new Dune film, am intrigued, got to finish Vurt by Jeff Noon (superb) then I really need to read the Dune novel, long time sci fi reader but have never actually read the supposed greatest sci fi ever written! Only have Lynchís film to go on, I remember I quite liked it but apparently not much like the book... 🤔
  • kentmonkey 15 Apr 2020 10:41:50 23,931 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @bighairybear65 it's fantastic. Well, the first 3/4 are. It lost it's way towards the end for me.

10 for the first 3/4. 8 for the last bit.
  • robc84 15 Apr 2020 10:55:02 14,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    If you're a Dan Simmons fan (as I am, loved The Terror too) and like sci-fi, then read Hyperion. It's real good.
    Good shout - the Shrike was excellent.
    I was looking for something a bit different after powering though all of Bernard Cornwell's stuff (Sharpe, Saxon, King Arthur - all were great).

Hyperion sounded interesting so I gave it a go. To be honest I found it tough reading for the first chapter until I got into a bit a rhythm and got my head around all the terminology. It was probably a bit long and dragged out in places but I really enjoyed it. Glad I stuck with it though and I've got the next one lined up to start now.
  • JoelStinty 17 Apr 2020 07:01:47 9,108 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Man Without Talent - Yoshiharu Tsuge

Enjoyed this a lot. A graphic novel that follows a Ďfailedí manga artist who now sells stones. A bleak but often funny look at an artists narcissism and self destructive tendencies as they put them self and others through hell for an artistic goal or in this case, a certain type of art being beneath them.

Itís actually quite moving, ethereal at times, very bleak and quite funny, also quite eye opening as it delves into the lives of people who basically sell trash/oddities/old things that no one cares for and why they end up evaporating from existence.

I think any creative will get something out of this. Probably horror on self reflection but itís an enjoyable book.

4.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 07:02:34 17-04-2020
  • rice_sandwich 17 Apr 2020 07:19:00 6,567 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JoelStinty

Weird. I have it under my coffee table in my to be read pile.
  • jrmat 17 Apr 2020 08:02:15 228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Couple Next Door

Domestic thriller. Clever enough plot that was will paced. I didn't feel any emotion really, perhaps typical of a lot of modern books that never quite came across as it was very clearly explained how the characters were feeling rather than their responses to the situations they were in so I never really thought the characters were all that real. Shame, good plot but let down a little by the writing style. Good enough if you like this sort of thing.
  • Nazo 26 Apr 2020 00:03:47 1,506 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now, then and every when - Rysa Walker
    Reasonable time travel yarn mostly set in the US South around the time of Martin Luther King but manages not to be too preachy about its subject. Apparently an origin tale for an established series, it mostly made sense without any background knowledge but probably would have had more impact with it.
    Not bad, don't think I'll bother with the rest of the series though.

3/5
  • Your-Mother 26 Apr 2020 02:24:59 5,408 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first book in her series is legit one of the worst things Iíve ever read. It was basically Hunger Games fan fiction where the main impetus of the heroine protagonist is to be part of a love triangle.
  • Nazo 26 Apr 2020 09:05:16 1,506 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, yeah there was a bit of that. Amazon gave me this one for free so maybe that says something.
  • Nazo 9 May 2020 09:58:04 1,506 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In an Instant - Suzanne Redfearn

Domestic drama dealing with the fallout of an accident as the survivors try to rebuild their lives and deal with the consequences of the actions they took to survive. Not normally the sort of thing I'd read but I found it quite compelling. Each character's arc is nicely told though it can get a bit syruppy at times.

4/5
  • Mola_Ram 10 May 2020 09:01:51 24,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Scandal (also called Beartown)

It starts off with a murder in a tiny Swedish town, but you don't know who murdered who, or why. And you spend the rest of the book finding out. It's about family, relationships, resentment, prejudice, and lots and lots of hockey.

It was really good! I think it got made into a TV series, maybe I'll give it a watch if I can find it.

8/10
  • JoelStinty 10 May 2020 09:20:44 9,108 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Braised Pork - An Yu

A 30 year old lady tries to come to terms with her husbands strange death whilst trying to decipher visions of being consumed in water and a drawing of a fish man that her husband as left.

Its decent, a good first novel. Its rather brisk and shouldn't take a couple of hours to read. Its probably too brisk in that it has some interesting ideas and observations about marriage, relationships and family, that are passed over all to quickly and I sometimes wanted the author to stew on those a bit more as she clearly as a feeling for those themes. Its rare that I think a book should be a 50-100 pages longer but here we are. She writes well, her prose is crisp and purposeful. It sits within the magical realism genre (And as drawn comparisons to Murikami; though she is far more delicate and quiet writer and it probably sits more to Norwegian wood rather than his other works. It is probably a lazy comparison) and she is able to transport you into her world and the strange quirks that it brings.

A writer to look out for in the future.

3.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 09:23:33 10-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 11 May 2020 07:37:12 18,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saga of Shadows by Kevin J Anderson

This trilogy is a follow on from the Sage of the Seven Suns series, and continues the strong space opera of interstellar conflict. It does suffer from the same faults as the original series mainly the sheer number of threads to follow, and heavy handed the foreshadowing is, so much so that the plot is quite predictable. However, it is a compelling read and has an impressive scope, as well as being a quite personal tale.

7/10
  • Tonka 11 May 2020 07:58:21 31,351 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson

Crushing.

I love reading KSR for his massive sweeping scale. This book is a more intimate story, despite having a global uprising as background, mostly following two characters that are, mostly, staying put in cramped environments.

But I liked them and the self isolation theme is very fitting give the current circumstances. What with covid19 and lock downs etc.

What crushed me wasn't the narrow scope or the long sections of two people in a room. It was that the near future where this is set, is so much like our present. The same problems of inequality and kleptocracy are there and KSR has no answers to them.

The book just ends. There's a vague glimmer of "maybe AI and cryptocurrencies are the way forward" and those are two things I absolutely do not believe in at all. So the book ended up giving me a feeling of one of the most visionary writers alive going "Fuck it, we're doomed"

Here's to hoping that his next book is more upbeat.
  • dominalien 11 May 2020 08:10:41 10,101 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Alice Munro - Open Secrets

A collection of short stories about women and their lives.

Gf brought this home from the library, I picked it up one morning a couple of weeks ago and now I'm done.

I recognise I'm not the target audience, but so isn't the gf, as she gave up after one story and I got to the end.

I liked the people and their lives and their worlds.

I did not like the stories, which with one or maybe two exceptions, have no story to tell.

Or maybe I just couldn't appreciate them because I have no bloody idea what they were all about.

So, I appreciate some and I wtf some more. As far as I can tell, typical Nobel material.

4/10

Edited by dominalien at 08:10:56 11-05-2020
  • Murbs 24 May 2020 14:18:14 24,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished Howl's Moving Castle. Better than the adaptation, which I enjoyed but is nowhere near my favourite Ghibli movie. Lovely read.

There's a Q&A at the end questioning the author about the movie which is interesting too.
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 14:43:15 18,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Human by Neal Asher

Probably the most epic space battle (with some ground action) that I've ever read. It pretty much lasts for the entire book, but is still a great story with some nice esoteric technology.

9/10
  • Murbs 24 May 2020 14:57:08 24,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I've never read his stuff but do have Dark Intelligence on my Kindle. Might bump it up the list.
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 15:05:28 18,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've enjoyed pretty much everything he's written - his polity series in particular.
  • chopsen 24 May 2020 15:24:09 21,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Any pointers on where to start with his work? In the mood for some space opera shenanigans
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 15:46:27 18,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Polity Agent is the first book in the series, but there's quite a few to go to. Alternatively you could read the latest trilogy Rise of the Jain, they would work on their own, but you wouldn't have all the history.

The Owner trilogy is a different universe, but also very good.
  • chopsen 24 May 2020 18:55:34 21,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had a look at the first rise of Jain book and it has a 3 page glossary at the start ;) might be a bit of assumed knowledge there.

Might go right to the very start. There is rather a lot of them isn't there...

Cheers
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 19:23:09 18,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    To be honest I'm not sure why he puts the glossary in there as he usually explains any terms anyway - it's worth a read from the start anyway. I hope you enjoy!
  • Your-Mother 24 May 2020 20:56:20 5,408 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite enjoyed The Skinner without any background knowledge on the Polity stuff.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.