Following Rate the last book you read Page 94

  • TechnoHippy 20 Jul 2020 11:31:34 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Night Watch

    A rare book this - one it turned out I hadn't actually read. It's far from his best, but still a decent read and also an interesting evolution of some of the staple characters.

    7/10

    I also read Raising Steam, which as a steam enthusiast was a fan read, again not great but solid entertainment - 7/10
  • RichDC 28 Jul 2020 22:17:27 8,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance) - Jeff Vandermier

    An interesting and enjoyable read, even if the first book is head and shoulders above the second two. The overall concept of the mystery around Area X is brilliantly crafted, and the characters for the most part are interesting enough even if things do frequently wander off on tangents making it feel a directionless at times.

    Annihilation - The best of three. Great introduction into Area X posing many questions and providing almost no answers. Yet, still manages to feel like it could stand on its own. 9/10

    Authority - The weakest of the three. The characters are well written and it provides some understanding what Area X may be and into the Southern Reach organisation, but it's dull and strays too far into irrelevant side and back stories. The ending just about makes it worth it. 5/10

    Acceptance - A good final book bringing the trilogy to a close still leaving many, many unanswered questions . Though so not as focused as the first book, its narrative format works well and ditches a lot of the dull irrelevance from the second. 7/10

    Overall: 7/10

    Edited by RichDC at 00:05:15 29-07-2020
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jul 2020 04:39:36 24,598 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't mind Authority and Acceptance, though I agree that they're weaker than the first book. I'm glad that VanderMeer resisted the temptation to provide answers to everything.
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Jul 2020 06:03:20 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Going by some of his other books, Vandermeers answers are often as confusing as no answers.
    I love him though. any Vandermeer fans on here might want to check out The breach by M.T Hill. It has a similar eerie quality to it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Jul 2020 07:56:11 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How similar are the books to the movie?

    (Annihilation)
  • creepiest-lizard 29 Jul 2020 08:05:43 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe
    I would say the film retains the spirit and atmosphere of the book whilst leaving out or changing certain major aspects, in terms of the characters and events that happen.
    It makes sense as beforehand I would have said the books were pretty unfilmable but I think Garland did a pretty decent job if you take the first book as a self contained story.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jul 2020 08:11:25 24,598 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The books are a lot weirder, in a Lovecraftian "things outside of comprehension" kind of way. I was slightly disappointed that the film basically went its own way, but it probably had to.
  • JoelStinty 30 Jul 2020 06:35:30 9,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last Continent - Pratchett

    One of his weaker ones, but also one of his most outright funny novels too. There is barely a plot as Rincewind finds Himself on the continent of four ecks followed by a talking kangaroo and The wizards find themselves stuck in the past as they step through a hole in the university as they seek a cure for the librarian who canít stop changing shape. There is barely a plot and it disappointingly stumbles from one thing to the next and struggles to join the two threads together but my god is it really funny in places, particularly as the wizards talk evolution and try to teach a god/creator how to draw duck. At times itís one of his most outright funny novels. But it doesnít really save the book. Which is a shame has the series had been going from strength to strength. Itís a bit scrappy and incoherent in places too and some bits read a little like thought processes and not redrafted to fit in to the novel better: But that is ok. There are some big hitters coming.

    2/5

    Edited by JoelStinty at 06:37:21 30-07-2020
  • drhickman1983 30 Jul 2020 09:45:41 7,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Night Watch

    A rare book this - one it turned out I hadn't actually read. It's far from his best, but still a decent read and also an interesting evolution of some of the staple characters.

    7/10

    I also read Raising Steam, which as a steam enthusiast was a fan read, again not great but solid entertainment - 7/10
    That's interesting, Night Watch is pretty much my favourite Discworld novel. Probably because it's very Vimes-centric and Vimes is basically awesome.
  • TechnoHippy 1 Aug 2020 14:23:01 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Small Gods

    Probably my favourite Discworld book. It's a fun story and a decent examination of faith and religion and the differences between them. It also takes a decent swipe at science and technology. I loved Om as a god-tortoise and the difficulties that engendered.

    10/10
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Aug 2020 14:27:25 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TechnoHippy
    Along with Jingo and Interesting times small gods is right up there. Beautiful ending too.
  • TechnoHippy 1 Aug 2020 15:39:59 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Interesting Times is also one of my favourites, along with Mort and Reaper Man. I don't remember Jingo too well, so will have to read it again.
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Aug 2020 15:51:21 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TechnoHippy
    Jingo features one of my fav characters alot, The Patrician. And lots of Vimes, which is always good.
  • RyanDS 1 Aug 2020 16:12:23 13,366 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Small Gods

    Probably my favourite Discworld book. It's a fun story and a decent examination of faith and religion and the differences between them. It also takes a decent swipe at science and technology. I loved Om as a god-tortoise and the difficulties that engendered.

    10/10
    Genuinely one of the books that defined my beliefs growing up.
  • JoelStinty 1 Aug 2020 17:11:06 9,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Interesting Times is also one of my favourites, along with Mort and Reaper Man. I don't remember Jingo too well, so will have to read it again.
    Another one for interesting time too.

    Colonís and Nobbs journey makes Jingo for me. Pratchett dared to make colon a rather unpleasant character as he ends up as one as those tabloid reading racists that we all know but is a perfect foil for Nobbs who questions and overcomes his previous prejudices and learns to thinks for himself, resulting in a great scene where he discovers he likes dressing up as a woman. Itís brutal what Pratchett does to colon but itís worth it.
  • souvlaki 1 Aug 2020 23:05:13 1,069 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Isn't that The Fifth Elephant?

    Jingo is Colon and Nobby in the submarine with the Patrician.

    Edit - nah, your correct. I'm getting mixed up with when Colon is put in charge and everyone including him hates it.

    Edited by souvlaki at 23:05:27 01-08-2020

    Edited by souvlaki at 23:07:16 01-08-2020
  • Mark1412 1 Aug 2020 23:36:54 1,831 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been working my way through Discworld over the last 18 months. Just read Equal Rites which I really liked but didn't think the ending quite matched the rest of the book. Small Gods, Men at Arms and Hogfather probably my favourites so far. But what an incredible creation. Even the less memorable stories are a joy to read because they're set in such a delightful, funny, welcoming world.

    I also have got into a habit of reading an Expanse novel each summer, Abaddon's Gate this year. Not as good as the first two, partly because the new characters aren't as good as previous ones, actively disliked two of them, but sets up number four very nicely.
  • robthehermit 6 Aug 2020 12:04:47 7,989 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This seems like as good a place as any. Free eBook for anyone who wants it:

    The Way of Kings Prime by Brandon Sanderson

    From the website:

    The Way of Kings Prime was written in 2002 and is basically an alternate version of The Way of Kings, which was published by Tor Books in 2010. The Way of Kings Prime is very different from the published book. Think of it as set in a different universe with a completely different plot.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Aug 2020 12:06:02 24,598 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't that the one that he basically gave up on, to write the whole thing again from scratch?
  • robthehermit 6 Aug 2020 12:20:46 7,989 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds like it. Some of the surviving core elements are in there, but it's a very different story apparently. I'm interested in reading it to see how it evolved from where it was to where it ended up. I'll probably wait until after book 4 comes out in November though so I don't break the continuity.
  • Scimarad 6 Aug 2020 21:09:52 9,843 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've been on a bit of a binge read of all the Harry Turtledove books featuring The Race. Really enjoyed them though there are a lot of repetitive conversations as time goes on. Also, I never really got interested in what was going on in China particularly.

    Felt oddly sorry for The Race after that final phone call when the embassy spoke to Yeager and sounded on the edge of despair at how the humans had totally overtaken them. Still, I suppose they did it to themselves and also brought about starfaring versions of the 3rd Reich and the Soviet Union in the process...
  • Mola_Ram 7 Aug 2020 04:24:19 24,598 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Sounds like it. Some of the surviving core elements are in there, but it's a very different story apparently. I'm interested in reading it to see how it evolved from where it was to where it ended up. I'll probably wait until after book 4 comes out in November though so I don't break the continuity.
    Yeah... it sounds sort of interesting, but I don't really know that I'm going to be that into reading what's basically the first draft of a real story. Particularly if it's as long as Way of Kings is. :p
  • TechnoHippy 7 Aug 2020 07:49:53 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    The Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance) - Jeff Vandermier

    An interesting and enjoyable read, even if the first book is head and shoulders above the second two. The overall concept of the mystery around Area X is brilliantly crafted, and the characters for the most part are interesting enough even if things do frequently wander off on tangents making it feel a directionless at times.

    Annihilation - The best of three. Great introduction into Area X posing many questions and providing almost no answers. Yet, still manages to feel like it could stand on its own. 9/10

    Authority - The weakest of the three. The characters are well written and it provides some understanding what Area X may be and into the Southern Reach organisation, but it's dull and strays too far into irrelevant side and back stories. The ending just about makes it worth it. 5/10

    Acceptance - A good final book bringing the trilogy to a close still leaving many, many unanswered questions . Though so not as focused as the first book, its narrative format works well and ditches a lot of the dull irrelevance from the second. 7/10

    Overall: 7/10
    Just tried these. The first was a decent read, but abandoned the second. Dull is a fitting description.

    Back to some more Prachett to cleanse the pallet.
  • RichDC 7 Aug 2020 09:05:45 8,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Funnily enough, I jumped straight into some Prachet too! (slowly reading them all for the first time)

    Mort

    Loved it. Easily the best Discworld I've read so far. Very funny, great characters and a coherent story all the way through.

    10/10
  • Rhaegyr 7 Aug 2020 09:43:20 5,236 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As someone who's never read any Pratchett or Discworld where would you recommend a newbie should start?
  • robthehermit 7 Aug 2020 09:47:49 7,989 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    With the first one?
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.