Rate the last book you read Page 95

• Rhaegyr 7 Aug 2020 09:59:38 5,201 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    With the first one?
    :)

I know it looks like a daft question but I recently started the Witcher series too where many outlets recommend reading them in a specific order instead of the published order.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Aug 2020 10:01:11 24,398 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can start either with the first one chronologically, or start with the first one in any of the sub-series in the world. My personal favourite is the City Watch series, so you could start with Guards! Guards!

But yeah if you just want an intro into the world in general, you can't go wrong with Rincewind.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Aug 2020 10:07:16 5,201 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks!
  • Mark1412 7 Aug 2020 10:28:55 1,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started with Men at Arms, which is somewhere in the middle, because the concept appealed. I've read them based on which 'sub-series' I'm feeling at the time, City Watch, Death and Unseen University mostly to begin with. Have tried to read the individual series in order though.
  • souvlaki 7 Aug 2020 10:32:28 1,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Even the Terry Pratchett didn't recommend starting at book one as he was still learning his craft heavily and the style and tone changes with Mort onwards.

This is a good guide

Edited by souvlaki at 10:34:47 07-08-2020
  • TechnoHippy 7 Aug 2020 10:39:01 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My first read through was roughly in order of release (mostly because I was reading the series as it was published) - now I'm reading them in a random order, or if Amazon have the Kindle version going cheap.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Aug 2020 10:39:02 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • robthehermit 7 Aug 2020 10:41:31 7,964 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mort is my personal favourite of the series.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Aug 2020 10:43:17 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mort is one of the better ones. I liked Reaper Man as well.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Aug 2020 10:46:51 5,201 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    Even the Terry Pratchett didn't recommend starting at book one as he was still learning his craft heavily and the style and tone changes with Mort onwards.

This is a good guide
    Thanks for this
  • RyanDS 7 Aug 2020 10:57:38 13,326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    As someone who's never read any Pratchett or Discworld where would you recommend a newbie should start?
    Not the first 4. Maybe mort. Or small gods.
  • creepiest-lizard 10 Aug 2020 14:53:21 2,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Devolution by Max Brooks.

The world war Z guy makes Bigfoot terrifying.
    Pretty good.
  • Khanivor 10 Aug 2020 15:29:04 44,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Iím currently on book six of The Chronicles of St Maryís. Just been plowing through them. I may have to take a break with something else for a few days but the combination of great writing, constant British humor that comforts my home sickness as well as just amusing me plus the historical and time travel elements is so much fun.
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2020 18:06:49 31,114 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've read a bunch of books during the summer but only one really stood out.

Infinite Detail by Tim Maughan.

A dystopic take on the best future where surveillance capitalism had been left unchecked for a while, and everyone is on their smart glasses all the time.

Then all that goes away in an act of cyber terrorism and will get to see the world a few years later.

I really enjoyed it. Much more than William Gibsons latest books. The book also made Bristol seem like a place worth visiting.

Well worth reading
  • Mark1412 10 Aug 2020 18:54:40 1,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oo, coincidence as I came in here to say I've plugged a gap in my sci-fi knowledge by reading Neuromancer, partly as I'm getting all excited about Cyberpunk. Really enjoyed it. Great world, really cool, and at first it was hard to create a mental picture because of the amount of jargon but I enjoyed working it all out, keeping track of where everything was happening and getting a clearer picture throughout the early parts of the book. Going for Count Zero now.
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2020 19:16:34 31,114 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm working my way through the Sprawl Trilogy again (first time in 20 years) and Neuromancer plus Count Zero were fantastic. Haven't reread Mona Lisa Overdrive yet.
  • TechnoHippy 11 Aug 2020 08:27:51 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Jingo

Always nice to see Vetriani take a bigger role, Nobby and Colon are great too.

8/10
  • Drakesmoke 11 Aug 2020 08:32:34 639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dracul by Dacre Stoker and JD Barker.

3/10, rollicking start and then just an absolute slog that nearly killed my enthusiasm for reading.

Have since moved to Christine by Stephen King and am flying through it happily, as usual with his.
  • TechnoHippy 11 Aug 2020 09:25:17 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Early King is the best King - I do like a lot of his short stories as well, he seems to be able to end them satisfactorily compared to many of his novels.
  • bighairybear65 17 Aug 2020 16:35:23 335 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vurt (Jeff Noon)

Woah/10

Great stuff, just very weird but totally readable.. love the way he writes, must read some more by him.
  • drhickman1983 17 Aug 2020 22:24:17 7,002 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mort is a very good entry level Pratchett.

The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are in an honesty not that great, certainly not compared to the rest. They were more parodic fantasy and perhaps didn't do as much social satire as later books. Theyc read very differently.

Equal Rites (book 3) is an absolute banger though, and leans very heavily into a feminist social critique.

But yeah, Mort is where he started to hit his stride. My favourite period was probably in the middle around Men at Arms - Monstrous Regiment. I mean, thats books 15 - 31 si it's a beer sprawling middle.

Whilst I still enjoyed the books for the most part, after Monstrous Regiment I preferred the YA Tiffany Aching books to the main series.
  • spindle9988 18 Aug 2020 01:49:27 5,157 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Jingo

Always nice to see Vetriani take a bigger role, Nobby and Colon are great too.

8/10
    This was the last pratchett book I read. I was only about 16 at the time and I donít remember enjoying it at all.

On the points above-I started the disc world from book 1 and never had an issue.
  • Roddy100 18 Aug 2020 09:56:03 1,061 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Survivor Song by Paul Tremblay

An interesting take on the pandemic/zombie genre. A pediatrician attempts to help her 8 months pregnant, recently bitten friend across town to try to get her a rabies shot before the disease takes hold.

Pretty good but I prefer Tremblay's previous novels, particularly The Cabin At The End Of The World, which was extremely unsettling.

8/10
  • StixxUK 18 Aug 2020 10:51:17 8,370 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Working my way through some space opera... Having finished Pandora's Star last year, which was a long old read, I obviously enjoyed it enough to get started on Judas Unchained...

Taking me longer than most books just to get through the Kindle sample!!

But I will stick with it, I'm not entirely sure why but I am enjoying it.
  • TechnoHippy 18 Aug 2020 11:58:48 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Peter F Hamilton has written some amazing sci-fi over the years, but unfortunately abandoned Salvation Lost as it just didn't grab me. Ian M Banks and Neal Asher also do damn fine sci-fi/space operas. In fact I've just started the Culture series again.
  • StixxUK 18 Aug 2020 19:14:03 8,370 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think I've read all the Culture series, I pretty much picked up Pandora's Star because there was an Iain M Banks shaped hole in my life I was looking to fill.

Haven't read any Neal Asher yet.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Aug 2020 13:39:12 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Consider Phlebas

I've read the Culture series many times, but never the whole series in order. I always forget how good the first book is.

9/10
  • Tonka 23 Aug 2020 15:31:18 31,114 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I read my first Culture series book this summer.

The Player of games.

I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

I read it because I was curious how Mr Banks would describe a strategic mastermind. Turned out he didn't, so that was a big let down.

It also felt a bit to much like a weaker version of The Dispossessed, although that's an unfair comparison. Still, I've stumbled into reading a handful of books where two different ways of life are contrasted with each other, so I couldn't help but compare them in my mind.

But, I enjoyed the world building of The Culture and I'll definitely read more in the future.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Aug 2020 15:47:01 17,738 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm on Player of Games at the moment, and it's an interesting one. I think it was the first of his that I read and I found it a good introduction to the world, but not the strongest. For me Excession is the best, but it's not the easiest read.
  • Red_Bool 24 Aug 2020 10:41:41 2,053 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    By chance I saw that the Discworld books were mentioned here. I am reading through them again as well (in chronological order, because why not). Just finished Carpe Jugulum, which is terrific (all the witches books are).

One question comes to mind: The Nac Mac Feegle, on what dialect is their language based on (if any)? Me being a non-native English speaking person (Dutch), how do you read it? Phonetically? Of course I get the general gist of what they're saying, but still I'm curious (I know, I should probably google it, but I've already typed it here now :))

Next up is The Fifth Elephant, but I'm currently taking a small detour and reading Artemis Fowl. My son had to read it for school and when the nice people in the Disney+ thread warned me about the film I'm reading the book instead. It's a very nice and smooth read so far.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.