Next Last
  • GrandpaUlrira 4 Apr 2021 10:00:02 3,871 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    RichDC wrote:
    Roadside Picnic - Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Enjoyed that. A short, fun, easy read with some interesting ideas.
    Is it the new translation? First time I read Roadside Picnic it was a Swedish translation of the old (and censored) english translation. I thought the main character talked like a bad parody.
    The version I have is an SF Masterworks one from 2007, fwiw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks
    This is 99p on Kindle right now, for anyone interested.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Apr 2021 09:42:14 25,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Project Hail Mary

The new one from Andy Weir, writer of The Martian. It's not actually out until May, but I got an advance copy through work.

I liked The Martian, and after Artemis (which I didn't like) I remember wondering whether Weir was a one-trick pony. You know, science man (or woman) is in a fix, needs to use real science to get out of it, etc. Like a more science-fictioney MacGyver.

And after reading this... yeah, one-trick pony. But it's better than Artemis, because at least he's not trying (and failing) to write believable female point of view characters anymore. He's gone back to what he knows, and that at least is an entertaining read.

So, probably recommend if you liked The Martian. Just don't expect it to break any new ground.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:45:47 07-04-2021
  • Murbs 7 Apr 2021 09:47:15 25,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didnít enjoy Artemis either. Thought it was incredibly average.

Iím re-reading Perdido Street Station at the moment (recently picked up the other two New Crobuzon books). First read it ten years ago - it was the first book I bought on my OG Kindle. Finding it hard going though, which surprises me as I remember it as one of the best books Iíd read at the time. Weíll see.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Apr 2021 09:56:35 25,619 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He reminds me a bit of Ernest Cline, in that he's not the best writer but (sometimes) makes up for it by bringing something unique and nerdy to the table.

(he's an infinitely better writer than Cline though)
  • Tonka 7 Apr 2021 10:19:08 31,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I enjoyed the Martian but felt that after about 90% I'd had my fill of "The little rock rested on a layer of sand about 39mm thick for thousands of years..." Won't read any of his other.

I tried to re-read Perdido Street Station about two years ago and I also struggled. Gave up half way through. The Scar is just the better book (I've read it thrice as a matter of fact). IRon Council is waaaay too depressing however. Won't read that one again.

I loved Perdido and I still think it's a marvellous achievement. It's just a bit too much.

I recently finished The Kings Assassin the second entry in the Farseer Trilogy, and it was just as good, if not better than the first one. Straight onto number three.

For those that like fantasy and haven't read them I'd say they're a must read.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2021 10:26:48 30,281 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    I didnít enjoy Artemis either. Thought it was incredibly average.
    I thought it was terrible, full of cringe, horrendous dialogue that can only be aimed at teenagers.
    Amazed at how successful such poor writing can be.
  • Your-Mother 7 Apr 2021 18:11:40 7,277 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Martian was an okay read, but two things really annoyed me.

1) The relentless optimism of Watney. By the end I was basically taking it as "this guy is mentally ill in some way" but that isn't an intentional subtext and more a head canon.
    2) The sheer volume of sign-posting through bad writing. You can tell when something bad is about to happen because the POV and tense changes, and the narration becomes more abstract. It's lazy and inelegant, and I'm surprised it wasn't tidied up by an editor on its journey from a publicly blogged first draft to commercially published product.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2021 18:52:45 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky

The style of this surprised me after his previous books, but it was quite engrossing and I enjoyed it a lot. It's a short read with a furious pace, although the ending was a little obvious.

8/10
  • dmj 8 Apr 2021 00:03:32 1,055 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I recently finished The Kings Assassin the second entry in the Farseer Trilogy, and it was just as good, if not better than the first one. Straight onto number three.

For those that like fantasy and haven't read them I'd say they're a must read.
    Iíll spoiler tag the below just in case youíre not aware there are two more trilogies.

I still havenít read the third part of the final Fitz trilogy (presumably. I mean, itís called Assassinís Fate) as Iím not sure Iím ready to say goodbye yet. Itís been sitting on the shelf since 2015...

Edited by dmj at 00:06:31 08-04-2021
  • dmj 8 Apr 2021 00:22:13 1,055 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Things Iíve recently read:

The Terror - Dan Simmons

Very much enjoyed this, especially as it didnít go to shit during the final third. Unlike The Abominable, which really did.

The Eagle of the Ninth - Rosemary Sutcliff

Havenít read it since I was 13 or something, but still great. A Ďproper goodí historical novel, though arguably not as wonderful as:

The Lantern Bearers (same author)

Another re-read. Set during the Roman withdrawal from Britain as the barbarians take over. Quite melancholy, but great. The sequel, Sword at Sunset, is one of her adult novels and possibly her best. Itís about the Ďhistoricalí King Arthur (kinda like the King Arthur movie with Clive Owen, only not crap).

Plain Bad Heroines - Emily M. Danforth

A horror novel but one I didnít find at all frightening. Beautifully written, but the plot just kinda stops.

Currently reading: Sleeping Beauties - Stephen and Owen King

Started it this afternoon. Iím not sure if itís going to be vintage King (shit has only just started hitting the fan for real) but Iím really enjoying it.
  • Nazo 8 Apr 2021 10:17:10 1,754 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

Superb. I've somehow never seen the film and didn't really know what to expect but this kept me utterly captivated throughout. I think I'll have to read more of his works, the two I've read so far have been wonderful.

5/5
  • Tonka 8 Apr 2021 10:19:01 31,725 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ooohhh, great news. I have it in my bookshelf and I'm a sucker for the whole Upstairs/Downstairs thing. I really enjoyed The Remains of the Day film, Downton Abbey, and Gosford Park.

Will make sure to read this book once I've worked through my pile.
  • RichDC 11 Apr 2021 20:54:16 9,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sourcery - Terry Prachett

Great wizardry writing from Prachett. Loving slowly working my way through the whole Discworld series.

Under the Blue - Oana Aristide

Post apocalyptic novel following a global pandemic set in 2020. It follows an artist who apparently missed the end of the world because he's a bit of a self obsessed arty farty dick. That may not be how the author intended him to come across but that's certainly what he is. Luckily when he does notice, he's able to get from his London flat to his second home in Devon where he hopes to wait things out. He's joined by his hot neighbour who he then spend the rest of the book pining for but never doing anything about, and her sister and they all go on a road trip to Africa. There's also a side story about a could of scientists creating an AI and then debating ethics with it. (None of that's a spoiler btw, it's basically the blurb.)

An easy read, but never really goes anywhere or does anything interesting. It was recommended in a Guardian list of new sci-fi and does seem to be getting good reviews, but it's an Avoid from me.

Edited by RichDC at 21:18:20 11-04-2021
  • Nazo 16 Apr 2021 18:13:12 1,754 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

I know this is meant to be one of the greats but I found it tedious and annoying. The narrator has about 5 set phrases that he repeats ad nauseum and the whole book is basically him whining about how much he hates everyone and everything.

2/5
  • RyanDS 16 Apr 2021 20:28:20 13,939 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Asterix the gaul. 1,2 and 3

Wonderful. Nice sometimes to feel shit, revisit a childhood favourite and it is still good. In fact better, so many puns!

8/10
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.