Best places to go in... Nepal

• twelveways 15 May 2009 16:59:16 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Im probably going for a week in a fortnight or so.

Has anyone been and if so, what do they recommend seeing, doing, staying etc?

Cheers :)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 15 May 2009 17:08:01 12,775 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, not been. Would love to go though, have a good time.
  • danathjo 15 May 2009 17:22:41 8,195 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spent about two weeks there way back in 2003 or 04, once your over the hectic ways of Kathmandu check out Thamel...got a few little companies set up where you can jump off a mountain about 3-4000 metres up and float around for half an hour.

Bloody amazing, need no training, just a small talk on the way up as your attached to a professional. It was quite surreal as there were about 5 of us floating around up there just waving at each other thousands of metres up, not that dear either.

It's on the cusp of the Annapurnas too, lovely lake where you can hire a boat for the day/half day and just float around looking up at the mountains, lots of hippie weed heads so there is a real chilled atmosphere...a few pretentious ones but on the whole really cool

will go home and have a look at my old raggy guide book and see if i can find some handy notes i may of scribbled down, you'll have a great time!
  • twelveways 16 May 2009 00:57:47 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers Danathjo, thats perfect!

It seems you did a lot of floating :D
  • JoelStinty 21 Nov 2017 12:32:30 7,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone been recently? Got any tips and places to look out for?

Been researching a bit over the last few days, but it's like being hit with an overload of information! Think i will end up doing the typical sights in Kathmandu, Porkhara, as well as Chitwan and Lumbini as well going on a trek of some sort, and quite fancy some mountain biking too! Time won't be really be of essence so i'm quite happy to take it slow, looking at going next October.

But yeah it be good to hear some views and experiences, and advice! Thanks.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Nov 2017 12:39:33 20,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Isn't there some big mountain there or something?
  • Frogofdoom 21 Nov 2017 13:01:28 13,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JoelStinty I have a friend who is a tour guide out there that I can put you in touch with if you like. He is a friendly guy and wouldn't mind helping I'm sure. If you are interested I can Facebook him but it may take a little while to get back to you as if he is on tour he won't have a phone.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Nov 2017 13:50:02 5,975 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Decks Friend of mine went trekking in Nepal earlier this year and did Everest base-camp. Described it as "hell on earth" and "a cross between a demilitarised zone and an open sewer".

Sounded bloody awful; overcrowded, dirty and crime-ridden. He nearly got shot after he accidentally walked across the wrong patch of land and the heavily armed Russian mercenaries a group had hired to guard their stuff drew their guns on him.

There's apparently lots of lovely stuff to see in Nepal, but the Everest vicinity is definitely not on the list.
  • Dizzy 21 Nov 2017 13:53:02 3,709 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Been there 6 times... Just one week? What do you like to do? Nature? Culture?
  • elstoof 21 Nov 2017 14:03:40 23,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There’s a great fish restaurant
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2017 14:25:51 20,403 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Annapurna circuit is a nice trek. You can get some fantastic views even if you don't go all the way up to ABC. You can get there from Pokhara, which is also a decent place to stay in.

I also loved Nagarkot, where I stayed in a refurbished fort at the top of a hill, and which had probably the most amazing (and not at all crowded) sunrise views of the Himalayas.

As for cultural stuff... if you're not easily disturbed, you can visit the Kali temple in Kathmandu. It's called Dakshinkali. It's not for everyone by any stretch (they do animal sacrifices there), but it's certainly memorable.
  • JoelStinty 21 Nov 2017 15:36:33 7,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Frogofdoom Thanks for offer, i am in the early stages of planning, but it might not be a bad idea in the long run, even if it just to get advice. I will maybe contact you about if nearer the time if i feel it is suitable?. Going to try and do it a bit laissez-fare really. Thanks for the offer though.

@Dizzy Not sure how long i will be there really. I'm planning to take some time off work - my intention is to take the year of and extensively travel. Nepal or india will be the starting point really. India start will probably make sense as i can travel in from India. I like a bit of everything really! Very much interested in History, Culture and Nature , so trying to work out what is a good length of time just to immerse myself in everything, but i guess that will come with experience and being there really!

@Mola_Ram I just looked at some images of Nagarkot. Looks beautiful! I believe it is a part of the Katmandu Valley? Trying to get my head around where everything is in relation to every where else. It's confusing haha!
  • Frogofdoom 21 Nov 2017 18:33:15 13,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure thing mate, he is a lovely guy and will be able to help loads. Just give me a shout whenever.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.