Who rides a motorcycle? Page 102

• BillMurray 23 Feb 2018 10:41:27 9,354 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally getting the above problem fixed today! Its been stuck at work ever since so in the end I gave up and just booked it in for its post-winter service and MOT. Looking forward to new sprockets, chain, (lightly used) calipers and some nice big Brembo discs that I was lucky enough to get for 100 quid less than expected. Not sure the bike being sat outside for the last fortnight has done much good mind you.

Edit* Thanks new page.

Edited by BillMurray at 10:42:07 23-02-2018

Edited by BillMurray at 10:42:32 23-02-2018
  • Sharz 23 Feb 2018 11:40:49 1,863 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That reminds me, thought this titbit may be useful to someone.

At the end of last year I bought a first generation fazer and did the headlight mod so that both lights come on. When reading around the net their are many different stories whether this will pass an mot and alot saying it simply can't. So i phoned a few different places up and all mechanics said it should be fine especially given how terrible the factory setup is.
    So last week I took the bike for the first mot since I did the mod and it passed with flying colours. Not bad for a 17 year old bike with almost 50k on the clock. Literally the only comment I had was about the rear tyre starting to wear which I knew anyway.

Edited by Sharz at 11:41:23 23-02-2018

Edited by Sharz at 11:42:04 23-02-2018
  • Salaman 23 Feb 2018 13:17:13 23,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Good news!

I've been biking into work this week, lovely sunny weather! Bit nippy though.
  • BillMurray 23 Feb 2018 14:07:54 9,354 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really need to do something with the lights on my GSXR. They're fucking wank.

I've quite enjoyed cycling into work this week with the bike out of action.
  • urban 8 Mar 2018 11:42:34 13,052 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So, I passed my test in January, asked Swinton to give me a renewal quote seeing as I'm within the last month of my cover for my 125cc Honda CBF.

Last year my quote was £660 with a provisional, no years no claims and in E17 London, in a garage.

They've just this minute quoted me £940 for the exact same circumstances except I've got a years no claims AND I've passed my test.

What the fuck is going on!?

The met really need to step their game up with motorcycle crime.
  • urban 9 Mar 2018 13:54:20 13,052 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/750070/Motorbike_Garage_Mechanic_Simulator/
  • RyanDS 24 Mar 2018 16:37:02 12,275 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ouch. Jumped on bike today for first time in a few weeks. Just outside my house pulling onto the north circular I lose the back end, fishtail for a few seconds and go down. Turns out the dark patch of mud on the road also had oil on it.

Not too much damage, snapped rear brake and some fairing damage. More annoyed I think I broke my right thumb. Last year I had my big off 3 weeks before a track day, this year I have silverstone on 14 April. Really hoping just a sprain.
  • Carlo 3 Apr 2018 15:14:26 20,383 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fellow bikers, I come baring bad news. I've heard the recent lull in Bike-related crime (particularly in London) is at an end, and there's been a recent spike in bike thefts, moped-robberies, etc.

I've 'invested' in my home security as a result, and ordered a 19mm Pragmasis chain, lock, second anchor, and a Pinch Pin so I can secure the frame rather than just the wheels.

This improves and is in addition to the 12mm anchored chain, heavy disk lock, and alarm already on it.

A sad state of affairs and more inconvenience each morning/evening, but I really can't be having this bike stolen too.

Review your security if you're in London.
  • Salaman 3 Apr 2018 16:20:34 23,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone have experiences of bike road trips through northern France?

Last year a friend and me went from Belgium to London, onwards towards Chester and then back down through Wales and through Surrey/Sussex and Kent to go back home.

This year we want to do a 5 day trip again and the options are to either down towards the north of France and Normandy or east through the Ardennes and into Germany.

I think the latter may be more interesting as it's hilly. Wales was fun last year because of combination of curvy/bendy country roads over a rolling landscape. I'm afraid if we go to the north of France we may find ourselves on long, straight, wide departemental roads with steady side wind to lean into as the only distraction but hopefully I've got that wrong. :-)
  • RyanDS 15 Apr 2018 19:23:29 12,275 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First track day today. Silverstone gp circuit. Fuck me that may genuinely be one of the top three experiences of my life. Started off doing corners at 50mph, by the end I was scraping my foot pegs and coming out of Stowe at 90 Mph accelerating. And that is on a fucking 600 cc Honda hornet. I need a fast bike.
  • Kronos 28 Apr 2018 15:42:52 725 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Test rode a Honda CB500X this morning, found it comfortable but dull. Screen was useless and produced a helluva lot of turbulence about my ears over 50mph. Being a shorty it was on the limit of what I would feel comfortable riding. Slow speed stability was amazing however. Doubt I will buy one.
  • Nasty 8 May 2018 22:26:22 4,811 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Only taken me 2 years to get my finger out, but CBT passed at the weekend and on to Mod1 practice on the big bike this weekend. \o/

Already eyeing up a nice looking Bonneville :)
  • Carlo 8 May 2018 22:32:00 20,383 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Only taken me 2 years to get my finger out, but CBT passed at the weekend and on to Mod1 practice on the big bike this weekend. \o/

Already eyeing up a nice looking Bonneville :)
    \o/

Nice bike. I've always liked nakeds
  • Nasty 14 May 2018 12:58:34 4,811 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So, while XJ600s aren't the fastest, that was a lot of fun at the weekend. Clutch control still a bit flakey but yeah, I'm hooked😊😊
  • Salaman 14 May 2018 21:01:04 23,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On Friday I'm off on a 5 day 1500km bike tour with a work colleague.
    I was meant to get the old Deauville into the shop for a maintenance before heading off but time suddenly sped up and now it's too late.
    I hope all will be well. The weather is looking promising if the forecasts are to be believed. Not a drop of rain and 20-24 degrees most days.
  • Nasty 26 May 2018 19:51:01 4,811 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://imgur.com/a/KlGSJIn

My new baby 😊
  • BillMurray 30 May 2018 15:55:13 9,354 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think my Gixxer days are well and truly done thanks to throttle body issues :(.
  • BillMurray 13 Jun 2018 16:57:35 9,354 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Think my Gixxer days are well and truly done thanks to throttle body issues :(.
    Thankfully now fixed after my uncle had a go re-soldering the board on the stepper motor connected to the throttle bodies. Had absolutely nothing going on above 7k revs because the butterfly valves weren’t opening. Very pleased to avoid a 1100 quid bill replacing the whole throttle bodies!
  • BillMurray 14 Aug 2018 06:51:14 9,354 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just had a foot-down lowside save on a busy roundabout. Happy with not going down but fuck diesel.
  • Salaman 14 Aug 2018 10:43:55 23,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    On Friday I'm off on a 5 day 1500km bike tour with a work colleague.
    I was meant to get the old Deauville into the shop for a maintenance before heading off but time suddenly sped up and now it's too late.
    I hope all will be well. The weather is looking promising if the forecasts are to be believed. Not a drop of rain and 20-24 degrees most days.
    Heh, that tour was the end of my trusted Deauville. It was struggling with a near flat battery and I was reluctant to take it for a full maintenance in case I ended up with big repair bills shortly after, which would be my sign to let it go and look for a new bike.

We ended up push starting it from day 2 (or stopping on a sloping area to let it roll down for a start) and weren't able to by a new battery until day 5 due to the weekend.

I broke the throttle cable on day 4, causing us a massive 6 hour delay but it got fixed and we were able to move on.

The front suspension was leaking fluid and a call to my Honda garage for a possible maintenance came back with an estimate of about 1000€ to do the maintenance and the repair to the suspension.

I put it online for sale and sold it within 30 minutes for 450€, about the maximum I was going to get for a 2001 bike 95000km on it and
    quite some scuffs and damage and a bit of work needed to it.

A colleague at work was looking to sell his 2004 BMW K1200LT with 19000 km on it and in pristine condition. Always kept in the garage, looked like it came straight out of the showroom.

So since the start of July, I now ride a boat. It's a hefty beast of a bike. 400kg versus the 200kg Honda I had before. I get sweaty palms at low speeds still, as it's very tippy. A little slip up and you end up with a bike down that you can't pick up yourself.

Great fun to ride though and super comfy for the Mrs.
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Aug 2018 09:55:38 6,412 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been thinking of getting a motorcycle licence recently. Am in my 40s and already have BCE licences (B I got at 18, CE at 20), and a fair bit of scooter (49cc only unfortunately) experience (including city driving) over the years.

It's really just a spur of the moment idea albeit an intriguing one - the thought of doing a holiday road trip (both in EU and US) on a comfy bike that I'd likely rent is quite appealing to me, and even the wife, not 100% sure on proper ownership and daily driving though.

Question is, how hard is it, and is it worth it (bearing in mind the above use case so to speak)?

Edit - oh and also how pleasant/unpleasant is having one person sitting on the back of the bike while you're driving? From scooter driving I found it pretty annoying due to the added weight and high centre of gravity, maybe with heavier bikes that's not such a big issue? And how comfy is it for the passenger?

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:05:31 15-08-2018
  • Nasty 15 Aug 2018 12:51:28 4,811 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just about to do my Mod 1 and it's not hard or easy, it just takes as long as it needs to to get used to it and get the muscle memory working. If you have the ability to go hard at it for a fortnight and you've been on bikes before then it should be fine.

And yes, it's worth it, the first blast you do up to 70 (ish) on a bike will put the biggest smile on your face 😊

Edited by Nasty at 12:53:04 15-08-2018
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Aug 2018 13:12:39 6,412 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh that's what I thought. Will give this more serious consideration for the next year. Should've really done it at the same time as I did my B licence but back then had zero interest in bikes. Never too late though I guess to learn it. Also like the idea to take a couple weeks off and be done with it, if that's an option.
  • Timmywimmywoo 15 Aug 2018 13:22:49 25 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've finally got back into the saddle after what felt like a very long 18 months being priced out of bikes by stupid London insurance prices. So I moved out of London and finally have a bike again. Yay. I'm planning to do a week-long tour to the South of France or similar in a few weeks time. Stopping every 100 miles to fill up will annoy my mates, I imagine…

It's loud.

• Salaman 15 Aug 2018 13:27:34 23,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oof, how many miles a day are you planning to do? I can imagine 4 to 5 hour ride are going to about your back. Should be good fun when you get to throw it around the curves of some lovely French backroads though.
  • Timmywimmywoo 15 Aug 2018 19:36:53 25 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Salaman we usually do a 350-400 mile first day to get the boring bits of France out the way in one go. That usually leaves us in the Vosges Mountains and then hit the Black Forest on day two. Usually we’ll do 200-300 miles a day - the trick is making sure you do as little motorway slog at the end of the trip as possible.

It’s in for a valve check and look over at Pro Twins, then a full paint protection wrap. Then miles, many miles!
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 16:16:51 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So on my license I am able to ride code A which having googled is a 35KW bike how does this work? Do you still take a test
  • AboutHalfaStevas 3 Sep 2018 16:41:26 1,182 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You have cat A... Without ever having taken a bike test?

I've seen this before actually: someone I knew had dates in that category (and definitely hadn't done any test). Erm, cat A is you can ride any motorbike. A2 is the one you're thinking of (35kw, or 500cc)
    If you have a licence from before 2001, it auto allows you to jump straight on a 50cc. Otherwise you have to have done a CBT.
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 17:10:07 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep dates are there that’s...odd should I maybe inform someone?
  • chopsen 3 Sep 2018 20:11:44 20,325 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How old are you? You used to be able to ride a motorbike automatically with a normal driving licence back in the day.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.