Who rides a motorcycle? Page 103

• AboutHalfaStevas 3 Sep 2018 20:35:11 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, what, 40, 50 years ago? You could just jump on a bike and nobody cared.

Then enough idiots died that people started caring. I'd be quite surprised if anyone here had a licence that old!

Yeah. You should inform whoever is in charge of your finances that a cost associated with an R1 will soon be appearing?
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 20:37:28 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Some people are saying it could be the option to ride a trike.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 3 Sep 2018 20:45:01 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
    It's (now) both. Also relevant:
    https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories
    Seriously, go looking for something to kill yourself on.
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 21:22:28 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am only 29 lol. Just had a license renewal though.
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Sep 2018 22:02:03 4,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm looking into the Direct Access.

I rode a 125 for a couple of years before getting knocked off in January 2011; haven't been on one since. Umming and ahhing about whether to try a CBT again first, to see if I can cope.

I've been driving and riding a pedal bike on the road, so I reckon I'll be fine, but maybe jumping into an intensive 7-day course isn't the best idea...
  • AboutHalfaStevas 3 Sep 2018 22:42:26 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    First question, how old are you? Because the govt has got a major fucking boner stopping young uns getting themselves killed. I mean fun. Some fun.
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 23:14:44 763 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas So is this standard for license now? Surely I need to takes test?
  • urban 4 Sep 2018 09:20:47 13,052 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse Regardless of whether or not you're looking into Direct Access, just go do you're CBT, you've got to do it anyway so you might as well do it and see how you feel before proceeding with buying a whole package.
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2018 09:34:41 12,275 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My advice I always give everyone is:

CBT
    Buy a 125, spend 3 months minimum getting used to being the victim on the roads. And get practice for the big bike test. You can get a 125 for a grand to practice on. Considering a big bike test is nearly a grand anyway I figure more practice before the test is worthwhile. Then sell the 125 and get your money back.
    Do the big bike test.
    Get a 600 cc odd naked bike. Hornet / CB650F / Street Triple / Bandit. Love the power upgrade and get used to being in control.
    After a year or two get the bike you really want.

Does take a few years, but I genuinely feel the safest progression. It is dangerous, and you WILL fall off and break something at some point. Best to do the falling on the way to that 200MPH fireblade than kill yourself too soon.

/will kill myself when I get a fireblade next year.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 4 Sep 2018 10:02:02 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's great advice, the only (perhaps mental) bit I'd add to it is the longer you spend as the victim the better. In fact, if I made the rules (and it's a shame, but I don't; go figure), I'd force every cunt to do a minimum of 2 years on a 125 before they were even allowed so much as walking across fucking roads. It drills an awareness into you that you just don't forget - even with a two tonne shell to protect you.

@solidsneek: no. It's not normal. As I said, I've seen it happen before; in that case it was an error, and it sounds like it is with you too. I suspect it's because the useless fucks at DVLA keep changing what the categories mean (see my second link). Whether you see it as an error in your favour depends on whether you want to go buy a cheap Hayabusa for the lols, or... maybe not kill yourself, and contact the DVLA to make sure your licence is all correct. Your call.
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2018 10:11:02 12,275 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only problem with the 125 is that counterintuitively the safest bike is probably the 600cc range. (IMO etc, everyone has their own views)

When in trouble (and you will be) on a 125 your options are to brake or swerve. On a bigger bike your options are brake, swerve or accelerate your way out of danger.

And damn me I have used that a lot. Seeing that car changing lanes without noticing you... that little twist of the throttle and suddenly your are ahead of it is literally a lifesaver. Not so much in London, but when you get on A roads or motorways...

I am seriously a fan of the CB650F. Does 130 on the nmotorways, so you have the fun. But you won't accidentally wheelie when pulling away or lose control like you would on a sporty bike. The lower revs help for filtering and your wrists don't get sore if stuck in traffic. Fuel economy is okay (10 miles to the litre in real life) and I will always recommend a naked bike for a newbie. You will drop your bike, and spending £150 on a new clutch and wing mirror and polishing out some scratches is a shit load cheaper than that £200 for a plastic fairing alone on a R6 or similar.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 4 Sep 2018 11:06:04 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh, I wasn't forcing the 125 on everyone because it was safer. If anything we could do to lose a few along the way.
  • Carlo 4 Sep 2018 18:18:30 20,383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Back in my day I had the option after getting my car licence to get a full bike. Licence without having to do the written test.

I did a (i think) 3 day intensive with the test at the end. I was already riding a Honda CB 125 Twin.

So I was very lucky to get all my tests done before the written test and driver awareness tests and stuff.

I sort of agree with the idea of using a low power bike and gradually upgrading. I went from my 125 to my CB-1 (a Honda jap imported 400cc bike), then a long gap between ownership. I then restarted on a low power NC 750 which I had a year until it was stolen, and now have a Yamaha MT-09 which if I'd owned when I was younger would have killed me.

So yeah, good idea.
  • chopsen 4 Sep 2018 20:04:14 20,325 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So. My bike fucking hates me.

For a start, the battery went flat while I was at a meeting for only 2 hrs. Luckily this was in a hotel, so I had somewhere nice to sit while I was rescued, but wtf was that about? I think the hazard lights could have accidentally(?) been turned and left on. Could this really knacker your battery enough to not start?

Then, when I did get the fucking thing started, on the way home somehow some material got stuck in my back brake. Though it felt a bit...light on breaking. Then when I got off I found a thin strip of safety belt like material all mangled up in between the rear break pad and the disc. Can't get it out, so it's probably going to have to go to the shop to have that dismantled.

How much will that cost do we think? Also, shall I just set fire the bastard in a ditch because fuck you bike?
  • Carlo 4 Sep 2018 21:22:04 20,383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The dealer told me my bike will run flat if I over-rotate the ignition past the 'lock'... It has some sort of 'parking lights' mode or something.

Look :
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/838966/Yamaha-Mt09.html?page=18#manual
    Maybe that's it chops?

Edited by Carlo at 21:24:53 04-09-2018

Edited by Carlo at 22:32:20 04-09-2018
  • Timmywimmywoo 4 Sep 2018 22:08:55 25 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that's the easiest way to drain your battery Ė†it's usually one 'notch' anticlockwise (ie to the left) past the steering lock. Left my 1198 like that for an hour the day I bought it and luckily it started okayÖ but it's given me problems in the past on previous bikes. I quickly got into the habit of turning the key all the way anticlockwise to lock the steering, and then one notch clockwise again.
  • chopsen 4 Sep 2018 23:29:43 20,325 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That sounds like a really.... dumb design decision.

Had a quick look at my owners manual (honda nc750x), and couldn't see anything similar to that. And the engine did just start absolutely fine when I tested it after left for another few hours again.

Just so weird. Never did anything like that in the past, and I'd been riding it for about an hour or so all told over two trips that morning without any starting issues as well.
  • Carlo 4 Sep 2018 23:32:22 20,383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I can confirm a stock nc 750 has nothing that would let your battery drain without the ignition key on it. It doesn't have that 'parking' mode either

You got trackers, USB chargers, anything like that added to it?

Edited by Carlo at 23:32:55 04-09-2018
  • chopsen 4 Sep 2018 23:39:28 20,325 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nothing.

Big of googling indicates that a few people have had a random, one-off battery drains with their NCs, including one who had it happened with the hazard lights in the "on" position. The lights didn't come on, but the battery drained.

Exactly same happened with me today.
  • Nasty 5 Sep 2018 10:23:15 4,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rear caliper on my nc700s was fairly straightforward to remove when I was fitting new pads. Take the plunge and have ago yourself?

Edited by Nasty at 10:23:56 05-09-2018
  • dominalien 5 Sep 2018 16:47:43 8,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just had the exact same problem on my nc700 yesterday. I left it for 15 minutes and it wouldnít start. Half a turn of the starter, the lights dimmed and that was that. Had to take a cab and fetch my car and some cables. After it started off the carsís battery, I revved it a couple of times, drove literally 300 m and itís been starting fine the 5 times I did it since (well, Iíll see in a minute if thatís still the case as Iím about to leave work).

The battery is 6 yo and I I was sure it was on its way out, but itís very erratic.

It has happened to me before, but always in the garage after itís not been ridden for a bit, never out in town like this :-(
  • Salaman 5 Sep 2018 16:53:37 23,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If it's 6 years old, go get a new battery.
    You will have to soon anyway, might as well get it out of the way.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 5 Sep 2018 17:04:15 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    6 years for a bike battery? Crazy talk. Unless you ride it every day you should be looking to replace at half that. Possibly even if you do.
    They ain't anywhere near as robust/beefy as car batteries.
  • dominalien 5 Sep 2018 17:17:46 8,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, it starts fine now...
  • dominalien 5 Sep 2018 17:19:09 8,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, and I do ride it practically every day from at least may through september and beyond if the weather holds. Only take the car out if itís raining.
  • dominalien 5 Sep 2018 17:19:49 8,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But I do realise I should get a new one.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 5 Sep 2018 17:29:04 1,182 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    All of which is, as I said, kinda moot anyway, as you should consider switching in a new one at about 3 years. There's a reason they're about the third of the price of car batteries.

As for mysterious sudden draining batteries: anyone got heated grips?

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 17:34:58 05-09-2018
  • dominalien 5 Sep 2018 17:53:52 8,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    There's a reason they're about the third of the price of car batteries.
    Huh? Itís more expensive than the one for my car.
  • chopsen 5 Sep 2018 18:00:22 20,325 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New battery every 3 years? Really? Ive never done that.

I'm a bit twitching about tacking the breakpads myself because I never know what what needs tightening to a specific torque and what doesn't. On my duevillie I had a proper manual. I don't have one for the NC so I'm just faffing blind, and breaks are kinda important.

( Also it's on PCP so I don't want to fuck something up ;))

Edited by chopsen at 18:00:38 05-09-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.