Following Who rides a motorcycle? Page 4

• pinebear 8 Jun 2009 23:11:16 8,564 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    ScoutTech wrote:
    I nod to just about everyone, scooters don't count unless I want to confuse them. Always a nod. I don't bother if I over take them, unless it is a thank you nod, or if I get overtaken. Don't on motorways though for obvious reasons.

I nod to everyone except scooters, Police bikes and Harleys.

Ha ha! I loved nodding and used to nod everyone - including scooters (the "join usss" nod), police ("nice bike mate" nod) and even Harleys ("please don't ram me for nodding you" nod). Managed to stop myself nodding cyclists. Just. Though would nod the occasional friendly car-driver. Some were confused by it. Some were blatantly motorcyclists in cars who couldn't wait for the weekend.

Nodding on motorways for overtakers/ees was a bit difficult but it's all about resolve and neck muscle development. Hopefully one day the UK will switch to right-lane driving as on le continent purely so we can wave each other, which is a lot more cordial.

There are lots of different types of nod. The diagonal nod is a good'un, don't improvise too much though otherwise it turns into a horizontal nod!
  • FooAtari 8 Jun 2009 23:56:27 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm planning on getting lessons to get my bike licence soon. Have been thinking about it seriouslly for a few years now, just taken a while to get round to it.

Anyone watching the TT this week? Upmost respect for those crazy bastards. Although if I had the talent to race a bike on the limit I woulsn't mind a go myslef...
  • BillMurray 9 Jun 2009 00:19:33 9,557 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been thinking about it for about 6 years now. Should really get on that I think..

i've really enjoyed the TT coverage so far this week. I'm rooting for Guy Martin as he's a likeable bloke and he's the nearest thing to a rider from my local area.
  • Mox 9 Jun 2009 09:00:52 63 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've got an electric scooter - a Vectrix - for zipping in and out of work. It's fun! And I've only smashed myself up once so far.
  • Salaman 9 Jun 2009 10:25:14 23,838 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha. Place I bought mine still has the pic in their second hand section.

Seemed like a sensible choice for a starter bike & 80 miles of motorway each day.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Jun 2009 10:47:07 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Should have bought a Goldwing, so you could cook something, or watch TV, while driving. ;)
  • Salaman 9 Jun 2009 11:10:23 23,838 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    But people'd think I was 50 or something.
    On the bright side, every time you get off and take off your helmet, you instantly shed 15 years. \0/
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jun 2009 11:14:21 33,020 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not my own actual bike as I can't get on Facebook here, but pretty much identical.

Mine's somehow even sexier :)
  • ScoutTech 9 Jun 2009 11:44:22 2,428 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    pinebear wrote:

There are lots of different types of nod. The diagonal nod is a good'un, don't improvise too much though otherwise it turns into a horizontal nod!

Ohh dear, I think I do the horizontal nod. May be a kind of diagonal nod. Though could be worse, some guy did a kind of wink/nod at me! Thought I'd pulled!

Mine, though not actually my one.
  • warlockuk 9 Jun 2009 12:03:27 19,498 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fuck goldwings; nice enough (grew up with 'em) but they have quite a few flaws that I don't like. :D
  • FooAtari 9 Jun 2009 12:20:28 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    I'm rooting for Guy Martin as he's a likeable bloke and he's the nearest thing to a rider from my local area.

So am I, he has had crap luck, especailly last year, fully deserves a win and hope he gets one this week.
  • Salaman 9 Jun 2009 12:58:40 23,838 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Fuck goldwings; nice enough (grew up with 'em) but they have quite a few flaws that I don't like. :D

Like looking a bit crap and being associated with elderly couples who tour around them with a teddy bear on the back and those big mics in their helmets so they can natter away about the scenery and whatnot?
  • Salaman 10 Jun 2009 15:16:40 23,838 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Should have bought a Goldwing, so you could cook something, or watch TV, while driving. ;)

Oddly enough, this morning I'm making my way between slow traffic and in the slow lane up ahead I saw a motorcycle.
    200/300 yards later, the motorcycle has also moved into the middle of the two rows of near stationary cars and I come up behind him.
    It was a Goldwing and he's wider than my bike and taking it slowly.
    He noticed me behind him, went over into the slow lane to let me pass him and give me a wave. It was then that I noticed he was smoking a ciggie. o_0
    In his gloved left hand, which he liften in a wave to me, was half a cigarette.

How the flipping hell did he take out a cigarette and light it all whilst driving and wearing a glove!?
    Do the things come with a car like cigarette lighter then?

Very odd. It made me think of UL's comment straight away.
  • billythekid 10 Jun 2009 15:21:23 12,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Salaman wrote:

Yes they do, they're just a two wheeled car in reality.
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 15:27:34 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

Like looking a bit crap and being associated with elderly couples who tour around them with a teddy bear on the back and those big mics in their helmets so they can natter away about the scenery and whatnot?

Apart from the "looking a bit crap" bit that sounds quite good to me :)
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 15:28:32 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

Yes they do, they're just a two wheeled car in reality.

Yeah. The goldwing's got a reverse gear and, iirc, an air bag as well.
  • FairgroundTown 10 Jun 2009 15:32:23 2,522 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The airbag is quite new - but the very latest ones have them, yup. Personally, I'm of the "if you wanted a Volvo, why didn't you just buy a Volvo" opinion, but they are much-loved by their owners, so live and let live!
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 15:43:30 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Quite. I can see the novelty factor to them, but I would never buy one. If you want to be sensible and responsible, why are you looking at buying a bike ffs?

Mind you, I've got a knackered old Deauville, so I'm hardly ripping up the roads in my racing leathers either...
  • Inquisitor Moderator 10 Jun 2009 15:47:34 14,557 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I used to ride a dirt bike (Yamaha 125, sadly now sold) but I've never taken a motorcycle onto the open roads.

My dad did a lot of work to help restart Triumph so every now and again I still head over to the NEC Bike show with him and we get a cup of coffee or something at the Triumph stand and get to talk to a few of the guys he still know that work there. I always look on at the bikes with envy but I'm just not sure how I'd handle road biking, I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to that, plus the test is off putting.
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 15:50:22 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The new test is a bit of a bitch, not to say a bit expensive. Glad I passed mine when I did.
  • billythekid 10 Jun 2009 16:10:21 12,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I passed mine when it was sensible too, CBT > Pass test on 125 > Get license to ride ANY BIKE!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Jun 2009 16:12:39 33,020 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That was pretty much my route.

I loved passing my CBT, particularly as my NSR was great fun to ride.
  • billythekid 10 Jun 2009 16:38:20 12,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I never owned a 125 road bike, passed my test on a borrowed bike and bought a ZXR 400

140mph pocket rocket. Oh and green Kawasakis are faster than other colours FACT.
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 16:40:08 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wasn't you licence restricted for two years if you did the test on a 125?
  • billythekid 10 Jun 2009 16:41:12 12,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not back in the day!
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 16:44:04 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cor!

That is a bit mental. Mind you, I don't think the DAS system is any less mental. 3 days of pissing about on a 500cc and as long as you could do a u-turn help yourself to a fireblade? Hmm.

Although I'm glad I passed when I did (I got a restricted license, btw) I think making the test harder is probably not such a bad idea.

edit: obviously, I'd probably feel different if I was doing the test now ;)
  • billythekid 10 Jun 2009 16:46:50 12,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I firmly believe they should introduce the same or similar system for the car license.
    Even now you can jump in a Scooby or other fast car after minimal experience.
  • ScoutTech 10 Jun 2009 16:48:48 2,428 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got all the stories about right back in the real day when they had to go around the block many times one direction, then the other and at any moment the examiner might jump out so you had to make an emergency stop. Manage to survive that and you got a license!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Jun 2009 16:49:00 33,020 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, I completely misread the pass on a 125 part. I didn't do that. I borrowed a proper bike. Still pootled around on my NSR afterwards though, whilst saving for my CBR.

Passing 100mph on it was ridiculously noiosy good fun :)

This is my little baby :)
  • chopsen 10 Jun 2009 16:49:44 21,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Absolutely. The insurance premiums tends to put a stop to that kind of mentalness, but it's hardly an ideal solution.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.