Sonos Users' Thread Page 40

• TommyUnderwear 7 May 2020 10:20:18 364 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    Official updates from SONOS and the launch of the new Arc soundbar and updates to existing products..

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sonos-arc-soundbar

..oooh thatís a nice new bit of kit..
    Slightly too long for my TV stand but I am really looking forward to the hands on reviews. I wonder if they will consider an upgraded Beam with Atmos support in the near future.
  • askew 7 May 2020 10:31:26 23,117 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    heavily revamped Sonos control system coming in June.
    I think this excites me more! The Mac app is pretty clunky; half of the time I'll just use Spotify to drive.
  • Dougs 7 May 2020 10:32:06 98,694 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That does look very nice.
  • Dirtbox 7 May 2020 11:13:07 92,277 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    For 800 nick it had sodding better be.
  • Not-a-reviewer 7 May 2020 11:26:53 7,268 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It would be nice if the software update enables atmos in some of the previous systems. I doubt it would be perfect but Iím sure they can get it better than standard surround sound.
  • ozthegweat 7 May 2020 19:12:24 2,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LOL, again no DTS support. Also, 802.11g Wi-Fi, WTF.

Looks great apart from that.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 May 2020 20:18:22 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I donít really get what Sonos are anymore. They were sitting nicely in a niche of expensive but not proper hifi expensive, and good quality but not proper hifi quality. Plus wireless/multi-room. But everything has airplay and Chromecast now, and theyíre well into proper hifi price bracket without the quality.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2020 20:40:28 86,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, Iím starting to feel like that, although I suppose itís partially because they have forced everyone else to up their game. I still use and enjoy mine but when the ones dotted about die/become obsolete, I doubt I will replace like for like. It doesnít feel like good value anymore.

Certainly, when I was putting something into the spare room/den recently, I didnít think about Sonos at all. Got a cheap arcam amp, some mordaunt short m20s and one of those dumb echos for less than a pair of Sonos P1 or whatever they are now.

And I really didnít get the Move. The portable speaker market is absolutely flooded with good speakers. That just didnít make sense to me on any level.

Edited by nickthegun at 20:45:35 07-05-2020
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 May 2020 20:53:24 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah the price of the Move is ludicrous.
  • Fourwisemen 8 May 2020 18:10:09 1,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíd agree, at full £400 the Move does seem over the top. I paid £330 for mine at Xmas and while still expensive, if youíre already invested in the SONOS ecosystem it makes a lot of sense.

With all the good weather, and the furlough situation, being able to pop to the back of the garden with it in the afternoon and chill out to tunes and then just stroll back in and drop it on the charger, all the while still connected to the network is great.

I spend a few days a month a away with work and take it with me for entertainment. Itís not cheap but the flexibility has meant Iíve felt nil buyers remorse.
  • Dougs 9 May 2020 07:15:58 98,694 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Crikey, had no idea it was that expensive
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 May 2020 14:38:01 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone got a Sonos surround sound set up and a Switch?

And if so, any ideas on whether thereís any kind of device that can help it output in Dolby Digital? Some kind of in-line PCM conversion?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 May 2020 14:41:57 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I feel like this is the sort of thing I need.

Tendak HDMI Audio Splitter, HDMI Audio Extractor 4K HDMI to Optical Spdif Toslink Converter Support 4K@30Hz ARC 3D for Blu-ray DVD Player Sky HD Box PS3 PS4 Xbox One https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XCJS46C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UR8YEbHKNRWJV
  • ozthegweat 25 May 2020 19:21:42 2,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What do you want to do exactly? Check if your TV can pass through DD5.1 from HDMI devices to the optical out and simply connect the Playbar/Playbase/Beam/Arc.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 May 2020 19:23:42 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have.

The problem is the Switch doesnít output in Dolby Digital. So I need something to convert the PCM into Dolby Digital on the way to my TV, before it passes through to the Playbar.
  • chopsen 25 May 2020 19:30:20 21,840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Playbar will handle PCM over optical.

I have a playbar and that manages to extract something to the surrounds with 2.0 audio signal that's coded for DPLII. They haven't paid of the official licence and the logo doesn't appear anywhere, but they've apparently reverse engineered it or something.
  • ozthegweat 25 May 2020 20:41:56 2,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Correct. You don't need to convert PCM2.0 to DD2.0. PCM2.0 is supported by devices offering an optical audio input.

They use "audio engineering" to upmix stereo to surround:

"Will I still get surround sound from PLAYBAR even if the source is stereo?

Yes. PLAYBAR uses Sonos' audio engineering to upmix any stereo signal into a surround sound experience that fills all channels, even when the source isn't Dolby Digital. "
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 May 2020 21:36:09 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím definitely only getting 2.1. I can see it in the Sonos app. A bit of googling shows itís a known thing with the Switch. You need to do some sort of audio extraction wizardry.

I not that arsed really and will probably forget about it in a day or two, but Iíve gone digital DIY crazy in lockdown.
  • ozthegweat 25 May 2020 21:51:21 2,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You'd need a 5.1 LPCM to optical Dolby Digital 5.1 converter box. The linked HDMI switch probably isn't able to do that. i would try the Sonos upmixing algorithm, perhaps it's good enough.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 May 2020 22:01:11 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah. Thanks.
  • nickthegun 25 May 2020 23:12:04 86,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    3/10
  • Fourwisemen 26 May 2020 08:46:59 1,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

Tendak HDMI Audio Splitter, HDMI Audio Extractor 4K HDMI to Optical Spdif Toslink Converter Support 4K@30Hz ARC 3D for Blu-ray DVD Player Sky HD Box PS3 PS4 Xbox One https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XCJS46C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UR8YEbHKNRWJV
    Is your TV set to output Dolby Digital via optical? If it is that might be the problem (which I appreciate sounds odd).

If Sonos upmixes a stereo signal, maybe it needs to be fed a stereo signal from the TV??

Iíve noticed the 2.1 issue with the Switch being passed through from my LG tv which is set to DD but not bothered to try and fix it but might try this myself if I can find a spare optical cable (mine are currently going into an optical switch from Sky/Xbox so have bypassed the TV optical out).
  • Fourwisemen 26 May 2020 08:47:00 1,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

Is your TV set to output Dolby Digital via optical? If it is that might be the problem (which I appreciate sounds odd).

If Sonos upmixes a stereo signal, maybe it needs to be fed a stereo signal from the TV??

Iíve noticed the 2.1 issue with the Switch being passed through from my LG tv which is set to DD but not bothered to try and fix it but might try this myself if I can find a spare optical cable (mine are currently going into an optical switch from Sky/Xbox so have bypassed the TV optical out).
  • ozthegweat 26 May 2020 10:58:29 2,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The problem is that the Switch can't output DD5.1. When outputting surround sound, it uses LPCM5.1, which can't be transferred via optical.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 26 May 2020 12:33:20 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think Iíve found a few things that probably do it but theyíre all overkill for this one job.

Managed to work around the peculiarities of the optical connection for six years now but it really is annoying at times. Was so incredibly short sighted of them not to go with HDMI. Itís limited every single AV hardware choice Iíve made since.

Iíd be done with it but the rear 1s would be a ballache to replace.
  • Dougs 26 May 2020 13:59:26 98,694 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It is one of the reasons I went for an AVR. If it was just music, then Sonos rocks but I wanted more than that. Does the new soundbar address that?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 26 May 2020 14:09:18 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah but it costs £800.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 26 May 2020 14:44:55 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Actually reading up even the new one is going to limit you. Thereís no inputs on it, so youíre relying on your TV to do lots of pass through stuff which it might not do. Similar limitation to the Playbar.

I get they want to design these things to be plug and play but I think they should credit their audience with a bit more intelligence. If you know what Atmos is and you have devices that can output it, you can probably cope with (and actually need) greater functionality.
  • ozthegweat 26 May 2020 16:02:26 2,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah you'd need a TV with eARC, which is rather new.

An AVR is the best option if you want to keep (or have invested a lot in) your speakers. But with technologies of sources, connections, display devices and content changing all the time, you have to replace all kinds of devices (players, receivers, TV, cables) all the time anyway.

After having had a 5.1.2 system, I'm quite content right now with my 2.0 "system" (E6 OLED). At neighbour- and significant-other-friendly volumes, it's perfectly fine. The only thing I miss now and then are directional cues when gaming (discern if a particular sound was coming from behind me).

Edited by ozthegweat at 16:29:36 26-05-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.