Sonos Users' Thread Page 42

• monkman76 11 Mar 2021 12:56:57 18,386 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Argh, looks like I wouldn't be able to use the S1 Sonos app (which I have to use for my OG Play 5) with the Roam. Fuck's sake Sonos.

These products only work with the Sonos S2 app.
    Arc
    Five
    Roam
    Sub (Gen 3)

These products only work with the Sonos S1 Controller app.
    Bridge
    CR200
    Connect (Gen 1)
    Connect:Amp (Gen 1)
    Play:5 (Gen 1)
    ZonePlayer 80
    ZonePlayer 90
    ZonePlayer 100
    ZonePlayer 120
    ZonePlayer S5
  • ozthegweat 11 Mar 2021 13:42:52 2,851 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Then use the 30% code for a Five.
  • monkman76 11 Mar 2021 13:56:45 18,386 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's nothing wrong with my current 5, aside from the problem Sonos brought about by design. I want a cheapish outdoor speaker, not another expensive indoor speaker.

Anyone know if I can run the S2 app alongside the S1 app on the same phone, or if not, at least on the same Sonos system?
  • Dougs 11 Mar 2021 14:00:31 98,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Can't see why not - you just probably wouldn't be able to use the hand-off feature etc
  • monkman76 11 Mar 2021 14:02:20 18,386 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reading the website, I'd have to split the 5 off into a separate system controlled by the S1 app, and control everything else from the S2 app. I rarely group the 5 with the rest of the system so I guess I can live with that.
  • ozthegweat 11 Mar 2021 15:44:55 2,851 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I kind of understand why Sonos did this. They might want to introduce new features that won't work on the older models. So they could either not introduce those features, or introduce them and make them complicated and shitty to use for people who have a mix of older and newer hardware, or do what they did now.
  • PatrickEwing 1 Apr 2021 13:41:27 2,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right I'm stuck on Sonos and networking / HDMI matrix shenanigans. I'm crap at explaining very well but wonder if can try for some pointers from anyone more qualified than myself here that may be able help?

Just moved into a new house that the decision to buy was in no way was swayed by the fact it's fully Cat5 ethernetted and HDMI matrixed up with sonos throughout the house. 5 connect amps, two rooms of 5.1 with playbars, sub, 4 sets of ceiling architectural speakers, projector etc. All rather lovely but I'll be buggered if I can get audio from any HDMI output to come out speakers.

4 rooms are fed by a 4 x 4 CYP HDMI switcher of which I have no problem feeding and switching SKY Q and consoles to the different room. In the app (S1) I can browse all my audio sources and successfully play music in each of the rooms, can also group them together and drop subs individually but when go to the room where I've got a video feed working on the TV/projector and select 'TV' as a source in that room on the app I get no sound.

Playbars and subs are all connected via ethernet and the ceiling speakers wired into the 5 x connects and It's all linked via a HP procurve 24 port ethernet switch.
    I guess my first question fed by my limited networking expertise is how on earth does it all know where to get the audio from for HDMI? If I know my HDMI inputs and outputs on the 4 x 4 switcher does the ethernet connections need to be linked up accordingly?

Pic below for my control cabinet of doom.
  • PatrickEwing 1 Apr 2021 13:45:58 2,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    piccy

Edited by PatrickEwing at 13:54:25 01-04-2021
  • Phattso 2 Apr 2021 12:12:00 27,020 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Is that in your house, or the Pentagon bunker?! :)

Whilst awaiting someone that can untangle the above, I have a simpler question:

Whatís the cheapest the Arc has been on sale for? Now my CX55 is settled in place, attention turns to audio.
  • Fourwisemen 2 Apr 2021 17:49:27 1,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PatrickEwing

Looking at the Sonos Connects, theyíre the old style without a HDMI input.

Sound from HDMI sources can be delivered straight to the Playbars via optical or maybe output from a switch and connected to the Connects via RCA perhaps.

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/can-i-hook-tv-to-connect-amp-6732199

Dunno if that helps at all but will go sleep having nightmares about that wiring... 🧐
  • askew 2 Apr 2021 18:04:42 23,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hah. I'm impressed at the full-size cab. Was that left by the previous owner?
  • PatrickEwing 3 Apr 2021 21:04:28 2,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PatrickEwing 3 Apr 2021 21:04:29 2,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yup, previous owner was rather particular I gather. That cupboard generates enough heat for the whole estate. A cleverer mind than me could create empires from it I reckon.

Wiring mess will certainly be untangled once Iíve figured shit out and I promise to repost once done.

@Fourwisemen
    Now youíve mentioned optical there are optical cables running out of the wall but Iíve no idea where they are fed from. Common sense says from the hdmi 4x4 splitter. Think Iíll have to go deep in there to find them behind the matrix!!!

Edited by PatrickEwing at 21:05:27 03-04-2021
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2021 21:31:54 86,026 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not that itís any of my business but why would the previous owner leave an entire server cab with a richer sounds worth of gear in it behind?

Also, damn, man. How big is your house?
  • crestedzulu 7 Apr 2021 20:47:56 77 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Looking for some advice please guys.

I have a CX 55 and sit 2.4 metres away from the screen on a sofa. The room Iím in is also directly below my 7 years old daughters bedroom, so itís not as though I can have high volume and bass during my chill time in the evenings.

Iím thinking of going with the Sonos Arc but I donít know if it would be worth purchasing the sub and rear speakers given how close I am etc.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, maybe should have mentioned. Primary use is PS5/Series X and Movies/TV series.

Edited by crestedzulu at 20:52:15 07-04-2021
  • chopsen 7 Apr 2021 22:17:53 21,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That could go quite loud if that's what you're asking.
  • crestedzulu 7 Apr 2021 22:22:42 77 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @chopsen Definitely part of the equation. Do I need the volume up at a decent level?

Equally I would be interested to know if the low M2 of the soundscape merits the overall investment.
  • crestedzulu 7 Apr 2021 22:24:52 77 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @chopsen From my research the rear speakers are seemingly worth it. Not sure if in my case the sub is warranted?

Edited by crestedzulu at 22:25:23 07-04-2021
  • nickthegun 7 Apr 2021 23:40:11 86,026 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The answer probably is Ďit dependsí.

Iíve got a beam and two play one rears and the rears do make a difference, especially when tuned with true play or whatever itís called. You can also reduce the cost by using the IKEA ones. I believe they are the same speaker.

If I had a choice of rears or sub I would probably go rears..... maybe? We watch bog standard telly most of the time and the three speakers more than fill the room. You do occasionally want a bit more oomf when watching a movie but is that worth 600 quid? Not for me, that pushes it into a price where there is *much* better gear available.

I know a guy with a playbar and sub set up and the playbar is fine on itís own most of the time. The problem, really, is that the sub is a beast. You rarely get the opportunity to use a fraction of its power as its complete overkill for the average British living room.
  • nickthegun 7 Apr 2021 23:42:05 86,026 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I suppose the good thing is that itís modular. You can get the arc and then get the sub if youíre really missing a thump down the line.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Apr 2021 10:41:50 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I only have the Beam, and it basically makes the floors shake in, say, any first Star Wars scene. Definitely sufficient for my movie watching purposes.
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Apr 2021 10:49:35 7,268 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iíve the same setup as nick and I donít think you need the sub. Thereís plenty of bass unless the room is massive, get it without then but later if you want to vibrate your house.

The rears are a definite improvement over just a beam.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 10:50:12 08-04-2021
  • ozthegweat 8 Apr 2021 14:05:36 2,851 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It depends on what you want to achieve.

The rears create more immersion, especially in games, as sounds come from all around you.

The sub increases the quality of the sound. It adds frequencies you wouldn't get otherwise (sub-80Hz, the deep, rumbling sounds), as the Arc/Beam isn't capable of reproducing them. But the sub also offloads the lower frequencies from the main speakers (Arc/Beam/surrounds) onto itself, which increases the sound quality of the sound those speakers produce, as they can focus on the frequencies they are better equipped to handle.

As others have said, make use of the modularity of the system. Buy an Arc, see how you like it, then first (my opinion) add the rears, and in a second step, buy a sub from somewhere with a return policy (like Sonos themselves).

Edited by ozthegweat at 14:06:44 08-04-2021
  • Fourwisemen 8 Apr 2021 21:10:10 1,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @crestedzulu

As others have said, and Iíd fully concur, go in the order..

Arc > Rears > Sub

Th Arc on its own is a superb bit of kit and as much as I loved the Playbar, itís a step up. Many people would say this on its own is enough.

Iíd go rears first for a couple of reasons. The immersion is a step up for films/games but if you enjoy music as well then the sense of space is transformational for me (I listen in ambient rather than full mode).

And then the sub, and this in no way means I think less of the sub. Iím sure all in this thread who have one will attest to just how awesome it is.

In all three use cases, you definitely donít need to have it turned up to feel the benefit. My living room is narrow but long so sit only 10ft from the Arc.

Now, a slight spanner and might undo my argument above. At low levels youíll feel the sub more than the rears.

Bottom line is, each component you add really does add something to the party.
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Apr 2021 21:13:02 7,268 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am jealous of those being able to have theirs loud though. Having small children upstairs means I think I never get past something like 15% volume.
  • Dougs 8 Apr 2021 21:15:01 98,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am glad my kids are now older, so at least family film nights can have my (non-Sonos) system at a decent volume
  • nickthegun 8 Apr 2021 21:24:46 86,026 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís just too expensive, itís that simple. 600 odd quid really makes you think about the use case for it when itís just a fucking sub and if it were even half the price most people would buy it without thinking about it.

Release the sub-sub.
  • ozthegweat 8 Apr 2021 21:37:25 2,851 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah a Sub mini with like 25x25cm would fly off the shelves. Also, they should really update the design. Next to Arc and Beam it looks a bit dated.
  • MrFlay 8 Apr 2021 21:48:25 4,644 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was a bit sceptical about the sub but it adds a huge amount of the sound quality to my Beam. It is expensive and loud but I love it. It's also less hassle to set up than rears since you can put it anywhere in a room. My neighbours probably aren't too impressed but they haven't complained. I can't help but wince when I start up the Series X and the doors rattle.
  • Fourwisemen 8 Apr 2021 22:59:55 1,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You really could imagine a smaller Sonos sub flying off the shelves at the right price point. The current one is in most cases a massive indulgence at the price point, but Iíd happily take Haagen-Dazs over a Cornetto.

Rumours are the next product will be wall art speakers that slot into the IKEA range of Sonos speakers which could be a really interesting addition.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.