Sonos Users' Thread Page 30

• askew 6 Jun 2018 16:57:57 17,992 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Weren't they sacking them off in favour of the Base?
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2018 17:45:51 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/6/17431250/sonos-beam-soundbar-alexa-hdmi-arc-price-release-date

Looks like this is the 3 to the playbars 5?
  • Fourwisemen 10 Jun 2018 20:07:26 777 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun

Iím interested to have a listen to this. Iíve got a Playbar (with sub and play 1s for rears) but like the idea of this smaller package.

I canít imagine there would be a discernible reduction in quality with the sub taking the heavy lifting of bass.
  • nickthegun 27 Jun 2018 18:59:34 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reviews are out, pre-order is in:

https://www.whathifi.com/sonos/beam/review
  • Dougs 27 Jun 2018 20:26:13 87,358 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice. Disappointing that they haven't upgraded the codecs though. For the price though, sounds outstanding value. Especially if you have a couple of play 1s.
  • nickthegun 27 Jun 2018 20:48:24 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got a stereo pair of play 1s that I was going to stick in the office, but I'm thinking they may be better off in the living room, teamed up with this.
  • Dougs 27 Jun 2018 22:20:29 87,358 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Definitely. I may have been tempted by this a few years ago before I got my AVR. No turning back now though! Fully committed... Wires and all. Plus my TV doesn't support ARC!
  • chopsen 6 Jul 2018 15:12:49 20,325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sort of off topic, but Sonos is looking at doing an initial public offering and be listed on Nasdaq by the looks of things.
  • nickthegun 18 Jul 2018 10:09:52 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Im sure you've all been waiting for a...

MINI REVIEW: It arrived on release day! As such, ive only really had last night and a bit of this morning to fart around with it but my initial thoughts in bullet point form are:

- Setup is super easy. Plug it into the HDMI ARC channel, open your app and add it to your system. Wave your iPhone about for the trueplay and then It then asks for permission to use alexa. Grant that and youre off.

- Shout 'Alexa, discover devices' at it and it will realise its plugged into a TV. From here (for a non-amazon TV device) you can raise and lower volume and turn the TV on and Off with voice commands

- The sound is great. I know a few people with playbars and they have felt a bit excessive for the size of room they are usually located in. I would say my living room is kind of medium sized for a british front room, 16x15 and it fills it nicely. After trueplay the directional separation was pretty remarkable for a unit that size.

- Ive watched the new spiderman and few episodes of glow. the dialogue pops and, glow especially, when the soundtrack kicks in, it really pumps. The sound is actually really well balanced, so I didnt have to kick in night mode

- It requests Dolby Digital over ARC from whichever source the TV currently displaying, so PS4 and Sky Q all defaulted to that

- Ive listened to a bit of spotify through it. As a music device, its significantly better than a play 3 but well below a 5.

- Two play 1s put it in a different level. It just sounds amazing and theres absolutely no need to top it up with a sub. This, however, pushes it up to a 700 quid home cinema system and for that money, you could get something dedicated that beats it quite comfortably.

- I haven't worked out the voice command to get back from music to TV (going the other way is easy: 'Alexa play [whatever]') but considers 'TV' its own device it cant find. The only way ive found to switch back inputs is a slightly clunky route through the app, so its not entirely hands free

-Its EXACTLY tall enough to completely block the IR receiver on my TV. It has an IR passthrough which can only control the volume via ARC and only supports one remote at a time, so its pretty useless for a sky/smart TV combo

- My TV is now jacked up on 4 viz annuals

Edited by nickthegun at 10:14:34 18-07-2018
  • askew 18 Jul 2018 11:14:36 17,992 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh. I might indulge.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Jul 2018 11:19:28 32,481 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I really like the idea of chucking my ancient speaker set up in the living room and getting a beam and a couple of play:1s for surround sound.

I also really want a play:5 for the dining room for my turntable.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jul 2018 11:25:02 39,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

-Its EXACTLY tall enough to completely block the IR receiver on my TV. It has an IR passthrough which can only control the volume via ARC and only supports one remote at a time, so its pretty useless for a sky/smart TV combo

- My TV is now jacked up on 4 viz annuals
    Er, what, is that a joke? I was *literally* about to leave the office and buy one in my lunch break after I read this morning that it has an IR repeater.

Are you quite sure you're doing it right? The thing should just pass through the IR signal, whatever it is, from the front to the back, no?

:-/

Edited by UncleLou at 11:26:06 18-07-2018
  • nickthegun 18 Jul 2018 11:26:29 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The play 1s really do make a big difference. Its good without them, great with them.

I don't think I will have them permanently hooked up as, day to day, I think the beam alone will be fine and I have other plans for them, but for the minute, the whole set up is semi inducing.
  • nickthegun 18 Jul 2018 11:35:19 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Are you quite sure you're doing it right? The thing should just pass through the IR signal, whatever it is, from the front to the back, no?

:-/
    Ive only had a few hours with it, so maybe. But I paired my main TV remote with it and all it did was change the volume.

This answer on the support forum seems to confirm it:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/beam-pairing-with-tv-remote-and-control-tv-menus-6809767

Don't know if its an ARC limitation or a sonos limitation. If its the latter, hopefully theres a firmware fix in the offing.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Jul 2018 12:25:07 32,481 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I just went ahead and bought a Play:5, because I'm weak.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jul 2018 12:58:59 39,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @nickthegun Thanks! Youíre currently directly responsible for one Beam sale less. :)
  • ozthegweat 9 Aug 2018 12:31:36 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thinking about a Playbar + 2x Play:1 combo for a 5.0 surround setup:
    - does the whole system turn on and off automatically when sound starts/stops playing via "optical in" on the Playbar?
    - is stereo content upmixed so there's sound coming from the surrounds as well?
    - can this setup be used with wired ethernet connections, so that the Playbar sends audio to the Play:1s exclusively via ethernet. There's an ethernet port on the back, I know, but I've read that when you connect a cable, that device creates its own wifi network, which is the opposite of what I want
    - does using a Sonos Sub improve the sound significantly when using the system mostly at normal (neighbour-friendly) volume?
    - is vertical or horizontal placement preferable, or doesn't it matter because drivers are mounted at a 45į angle?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Aug 2018 14:31:32 12,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't really understand the first question. Assuming you plug your tv directly into it, you then disable the tv from outputting sound apart from optical, and then all your sound comes through sonos.

Yes, or at least this is an option.

Er, no, I don't think so.

It does but it's overkill. The sub is mega. But you can have it on a very low setting to just provide a nice gentle punch, but the playbar kinda does this anyway so unless you intent to pump it up fairly regularly the sub is a waste.

Vertical placement is significantly better imo, but it's also very good horizontal.
  • ozthegweat 9 Aug 2018 14:39:38 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal Thanks for your reply!

Re: the first question: I meant if I have to separately press the On button on the Playbar when I turn on the TV, or if it senses sound coming in through the optical port and then turns on by itself. Same when turning off the TV, does it turn off by itself if there's been no sound over the optical cable for a few minutes or do I have to manually turn off the Playbar as well?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Aug 2018 14:43:50 12,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's all automatic. There is no on button in fact.

The only slight challenge is if you want to play music through the playbar and ignore the tv sound (which I occasionally do when my kids are watching cartoons or something). It can be done but you have to go into the app every time and it doesn't love you switching channels etc.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Aug 2018 14:46:33 39,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Now that I see this thread, I *did* buy a Beam after all, and it's pretty good. High-tech solution for the covered IR sensor was putting the TV on a wooden plank, for now...

Oh, and the TruePlay setting was a disaster when I tried it with my old iPhone 6, with a much too harsh treble. Gave up after several attempts, then had the idea to use the missus' never iPhone, and it worked like a charm. I guess the microphone on my phone is caked with all sorts of fluff, dirt and whatnot. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 15:58:59 09-08-2018
  • ozthegweat 9 Aug 2018 15:29:52 2,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal Got it. Shouldn't be a problem, I don't plan on using it for music anyway.
  • nickthegun 9 Aug 2018 15:30:50 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I re-tuned my speakers with my iPad pro rather than my phone a few months ago and it made a noticeable difference.

Not enormous, but enough to suggest the mic in the iPad was a lot more accurate.
  • HairyArse 9 Aug 2018 15:43:47 1,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've always assumed TruePlay to be a gimmick and not worth bothering with. I might have to give it a try.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Aug 2018 15:48:11 32,481 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm on android so I don't have the Trueplay stuff (I don't understand why it's an Apple exclusive). Wife has an Iphone 8 though. Is it worth sticking the app on her phone to tune it?
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Aug 2018 15:56:44 39,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    -HairyArse wrote:
    I've always assumed TruePlay to be a gimmick and not worth bothering with. I might have to give it a try.
    The difference between on/off after I tried it with a newer phone is subtle, but absolutely noticable, and it's definitvely an improvement. Really quite a cool feature.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Aug 2018 15:58:27 39,863 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    (I don't understand why it's an Apple exclusive)
    Because there are probably thousands of different microphones on various Android devices, and they need to know/use the exact specs for that function?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Aug 2018 16:20:46 12,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also Android users clearly aren't discerning enough to notice any difference anyway.
  • nickthegun 9 Aug 2018 16:21:51 75,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I'm on android so I don't have the Trueplay stuff (I don't understand why it's an Apple exclusive). Wife has an Iphone 8 though. Is it worth sticking the app on her phone to tune it?
    100% if you've got the beam and surrounds
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Aug 2018 16:27:50 32,481 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    100% if you've got the beam and surrounds
    Cool, will get on this then. Cheers.

And Lou - that's probably it!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.