Multi console owners - which game?

• ssuellid 5 Nov 2002 13:24:29 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nicked from a comment by Angrydarren.

If you own more than one console and a multi platform game is released - which platform do you buy the game for and why?
  • ssuellid 5 Nov 2002 13:26:56 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I usually get the XBox version because of the surround sound and the ability to choose the music.
  • Gurgy 5 Nov 2002 13:55:14 2,922 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Had this problem just last week.

Own all current consoles and wanted Fifa.

GBA - no need for portability,
    PSOne - no thanks,
    PS2 - favourite as I prefer the controller above all others,
    XBox - assume would offer best graphics / sound,
    GC - not sure, never bought a football game for Ninty,

Tried to find a site/mag which did comparative reviews but didn't find one. So went for ....... Xbox. However am waiting for PS2 demo to try it out and see whether I will regret my choice.

Must admit that if future games are on all platforms then I would probably choose Xbox unless I was told a good reason not to.
  • eviltobz 5 Nov 2002 13:56:23 2,511 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    got thps3 and aggressive inline on ps2 cos it was out on that first, got spiderman and nhl hitz on xbox for added prettiness, got sega soccer slam on cube as i read that it ran best on it due to the cube being the initial platform, and all the others being ports, and i'm a cube fanboy.

basically it depends on the situation surrounding each, although the xbox is probably the main choice, especially as i have controller s as well as the standard pad for hawks combos etc.
  • Nemesis 5 Nov 2002 13:58:05 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Normally Xbox due to the surround and (sometimes) better graphics.

Or PS2 if it's THPS or SSX as the dualshock is better.
  • Azule 5 Nov 2002 14:11:28 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Being as my PS2 will probably crap out one day (soon) and that I dislike the dualshock, I get the game for my GameCube (don't have the 'box). Have the PS2 for the exclusives, and it's a DVD player for the front room. The GC looks better, runs smoother, and I like the controller (WAVEBIRD rocks!). :D

I'm not very good at THPS, so control is not an issue for me. :p
  • skalmanxl 5 Nov 2002 14:13:04 982 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well, it really depens on how the versions differ. Normally, I'd choose the platform the game was developed for. Other then that, I'd look at optios such as 60hz, improved graphics, control etc etc. A racing game of mine or more likley to end up on the Xbox becasue of the better controller, a Tony Hawk game or such, more likley on the PS2 due to the better controller.
  • MrWorf 5 Nov 2002 14:24:39 63,798 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I bought the GC recently to play SM:S. Worst mistake of my life/
  • Azule 5 Nov 2002 22:52:25 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I bought the GC recently to play SM:S. Worst mistake of my life/
    Now Razz, that wasn't the topic question, now was it? There are plenty of places to spew your anti-SMSisms. :p ;)
  • st3ph3n 5 Nov 2002 23:09:55 2,833 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tough question this.

I bought Aggressive inline for PS2 as it was out first and I could get it for 24.99 in PC world. Burnout 2 is multi-platform also, not sure if the cube one is even out, but I went for PS2 on it's launch day, with it being renderware I imagine it looks exactly the same on all the machines.

Everything else up to now has been platform specific.

So the Dilemma, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 is due out soon. It gets launched for all 3 at the same time. I don't have an Xbox so Cube or PS2?

I think I'll stick with PS2. Mainly because I've clocked up X hundred hours with THPS3 on the PS2, I've worn the sharp edges of the D-PAD, I don't even need to learn the controls, it's pure instinct with it.
  • Gurgy 6 Nov 2002 13:56:39 2,922 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    St3ph3n, have you tried THPS3 online with your PS2 ?

If so, I can only assume THPS4 will be online capable aswell, then that's another reason for PS2 version over Cube.
  • Nemesis 6 Nov 2002 14:09:45 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PS2 all the way, dualshock2 is nicer plus the mentioned online play.

I'm hunting down the controller-S at present. Come to Daddy.
  • JabbaDaHut 6 Nov 2002 14:14:32 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd have to go for Xbox - even though most ports don't do the box justice, the (Usually) improved looks and sound do it for me, plus I love the controller!
  • Nemesis 6 Nov 2002 14:16:45 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Once I get the controller-S THPS will be playing on the Xbox. 5.1 surround and customised soundtracks!
  • eviltobz 6 Nov 2002 14:40:37 2,511 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    i imported a controller s a while ago, so thps is likely to be xboxen bound in my home, the cube pad just wouldn't be right, and i couldn't care less about online features anyway.
  • BartonFink 6 Nov 2002 15:22:03 35,268 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I would have to say xbox for a number of reasons:
    Graphics are nearly always going to be better
    Sound is always better
    Load times are normally a lot shorter
    The controller is better for most games (except THPS need to get Controller S, tomorrow hopefully)
  • brutal 6 Nov 2002 15:39:32 883 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    duncan wrote:
    GC

Nintendo consoles last longer ( IMO )

hah!!

at least 5 out of 10 have broken in our office in the last month!!!!

the laser is very prone to becoming completely fuXored
  • martu 6 Nov 2002 18:15:05 47 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GC for the controller - just fits my hands perfectly.
  • st3ph3n 6 Nov 2002 20:15:06 2,833 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    online play with THPS3 - yes. And with 4 also I hope.
  • Tiitiz 6 Nov 2002 21:55:25 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Xbox for me
  • Deleted user 6 November 2002 21:57:27
    pfft... buy a PC
  • FWB 6 Nov 2002 22:04:44 56,343 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I only have a GC so I cannot comment from experience, but should I own all three I would opt for the X-Box version if it was a less arcade-like game. For the MP button hitters I'd go for a GC (assuming it was right behind, if not on the same level as, the X-Box). The controller is damn nice and I move it around alot (from mate's place to mate's place). It would be too much hassle to transport the X-Box. I'd also have a large group of gaming buddies on a GC. The lasses in my life all seem very happy to play GCs, but not the other consoles.

The PS2 I'd only have for its exclusives, so it wouldn't figure in a multi-format game. It loses out on graphics and sound.
  • Azule 6 Nov 2002 22:05:06 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    brutal wrote:
    hah!!

at least 5 out of 10 have broken in our office in the last month!!!!

the laser is very prone to becoming completely fuXored
    In my experience, I've had the GC for a year, it's gone back and forth from different rooms, often sitting in dust prone environments and sometimes getting banged up in the move. It works exactly like it did on day one. Hopefully the problem you had is one born of a bad manufacturing plant error, or personal carelessness. For me the controllers are the Nintendo product that seem to mess up, but that's just abuse of the analog sticks...:(
  • brutal 7 Nov 2002 10:02:33 883 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    i think its just sheer overusage... we use them for about 10 hours a day every day.
  • Azule 7 Nov 2002 18:03:15 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I would say an average of 3hrs a days for me...
  • BlackANUS 7 Nov 2002 19:37:02 7 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    For most games, I'll get the XBox version simply due to graphics and the S Controller (which I really think is the best controller out there).

But if it's a driving game, PS2 since I'd like to get more out of my investment in the GT Force Feedback Wheel.
  • bill 7 Nov 2002 20:06:17 139 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    multiplatform:

XBOX 1
    gc 0
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:50:19
    Post deleted

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.