What books would you like to see adapted into movies? Page 2

• glaeken 23 Jul 2009 14:08:30 12,070 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They will cock up the Tripods for certain. It's going to end up like a War of the Worlds(the Tom Cruise version) rip off.
  • Dougs 23 Jul 2009 14:13:30 94,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anyway, Harry Bosch has always been Bronson in my mind. Not sure who now, not many left of golden generation of older, greying actors that are still quit heavily built and that women seem to fawn over regardless of how decrepit they are
  • Tonka 23 Jul 2009 14:14:03 30,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Perdido Street Station
    Just so that I could complain about how poorly made it was and how much better the book is and how I read it before it got famous.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 23 Jul 2009 14:14:22 12,422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thomas Covenant Chronicles, though it'll never happen. Also, and I'm sure it's been posted, the Night's Dawn Trilogy. ^_^
  • glaeken 23 Jul 2009 14:14:29 12,070 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I cant help but think the new Triffids film is going to be a stinkturd.

I'd (seriously) love to see someone make The Guardians (John Christopher) into a film. Always thought it was better than The Tripods.

It may well be but here is to hoping its not... :-(

/Crosses fingers.

I remember the last time Hollywood had a go at making it. They made a mess of it. The Beeb series was good (just had a repeat showing on BBC4 as it appens) but the effects were a bit shit and low tech. Hopefully they won't CGI the shit out of the Triffids.

The Guardians would be good but the whole class divide thing would probably seem a bit twee and out of place if they made it today. No one really gives a rat's arse about the class divide anymore do they?

I don't actually mind the Howard Keel Triffids film. If you watch it as a film of its time (early 1960's horror) its Ok. The story could certainly be done a hell of a lot better but it's not a terrible film in my view and it even has some quite nice scenes. The stream train coming full speed into the train station because the driver is blind I always found quite chilling.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 14:15:30 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oooh controversial.

I think the triffids themselves ruined the B movie versh for me. But there were one or two scenes done better in that than in the beeb versh.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 14:16:24 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    They will cock up the Tripods for certain. It's going to end up like a War of the Worlds(the Tom Cruise version) rip off.

God I hated that. They could've made a spectacular steampunky film if they could've been bothered but naw, it turned to shite.
  • glaeken 23 Jul 2009 14:17:31 12,070 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Oooh controversial.

I think the triffids themselves ruined the B movie versh for me. But there were one or two scenes done better in that than in the beeb versh.

The beeb version is definitely better I am just saying I don't think the film is too bad.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 14:17:56
    Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugerman - Iggy Pop to play himself of course
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 14:18:51 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    No. Iggy Pop is dead to me now. He couldn't even play himself convincingly without me feeling the need to sneer and scoff

(Still not sure I ever got over his hammy shit in The Crow II)
  • glaeken 23 Jul 2009 14:20:06 12,070 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

God I hated that. They could've made a spectacular steampunky film if they could've been bothered but naw, it turned to shite.

Yeah 19th century British empire vs. Aliens. It's so full of win but instead they made a Cruise vehicle film.
  • S.J.Rogers 23 Jul 2009 14:35:40 3,593 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

Yeah 19th century British empire vs. Aliens. It's so full of win but instead they made a Cruise vehicle film.

Agree 100%

The 19th century plot is great.

I wanted to see Thunder Child... :-(
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 14:40:34
    figgis wrote:
    They are doing a Rama film IIRC

Nope, it got cancelled:

"In the early 2000s, actor Morgan Freeman expressed his desire to produce a film based on Rendezvous with Rama. After a drawn-out development process which Freeman attributed to difficulties in procuring funding it appeared in 2003 this would indeed be happening.[2] IMDb at one point upgraded the status of the project to "announced" with an estimated release date in 2009. The film was to be produced by Freeman's production company, Revelations Entertainment. David Fincher, touted on Revelations' Rama web page as far back as 2001,[3] stated in a late 2007 interview (where he also credited the novel as an influence on the films Alien and Star Trek: The Motion Picture) that he is still attached to helm.[4] Revelations and IMDb indicated that Stel Pavlou had written the adaptation.
    In late 2008, David Fincher stated the movie is unlikely to be made. "It looks like it's not going to happen. There's no script and as you know, Morgan Freeman's not in the best of health right now. We've been trying to do it but it's probably not going to happen."[5] The IMDb page for the project has been removed."
  • redlander 23 Jul 2009 14:59:35 1,038 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    paul_haine wrote:
    Pretty much anything by Alastair Reynolds

Would love to see them do a Reynolds story.

Revelation Space following Calvin Sylveste would make me very happy :D
  • Venkman90 23 Jul 2009 15:01:00 4,430 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cater Beats the Devil: Tom Cruise bought the rights, was talk of Johnny Depp staring, with the sucsess of the Prestige I thought it would work well as a period piece, some great set pieces and it has tons of charm.

Without Remorse: Tom Clancys best book, Brandon Routh was offered the role it seems but I have no clue if they would keep the 70's setting (would have to if you were going to make any more John Clark films)

The Gun Seller: Great book written by Hugh Laurie back in the 90's, again, film rights were bought and nowt happened. Part of the plot strayed close to 9/11 conspirices (depsite the book pre-dating the event) so maybe that buried it.
  • ardamillo 23 Jul 2009 15:01:11 638 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Azazel wrote:
    Something by Ian M Banks.
    I was thinking the other day the Culture books would make great films.
  • BinaryBob101 23 Jul 2009 15:12:36 27,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall is crying out for an adaptation. It's a fantastic debut, you should all give it a go.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 15:19:47 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ...starring Clint Eastwood? I'd buy that for a substantial monetary sum.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 15:22:26
    pjmaybe wrote:
    ...starring Clint Eastwood? I'd buy that for a substantial monetary sum.

He's too old now, Bruce Wayne is only meant to be about 50 in The Dark Knight Returns.
  • Venkman90 23 Jul 2009 15:26:16 4,430 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall is crying out for an adaptation. It's a fantastic debut, you should all give it a go.

Ooooh yes, forgot that one!
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 15:38:59 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    They floated the idea with Clint Eastwood around the Batman Forever era. You could have Ironman Jeff Bridges now I suppose.

That wouldn't be too bad...nice line in grittiness now he's an egghead like me.

Or...they could just give Clooney another shot at it.
  • Venkman90 23 Jul 2009 15:39:23 4,430 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    They floated the idea with Clint Eastwood around the Batman Forever era. You could have Ironman Jeff Bridges now I suppose.

They did indeed, I heard they wanted Reeve back as Supes (before the accident this was) to capture that "superman has not aged" thing.
  • pinkds 23 Jul 2009 15:39:47 1,601 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Koran
  • Tonka 23 Jul 2009 15:55:47 30,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tom Selleck IS The Dark Knight Returns.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 15:56:54 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I ate all the hawaiian pizzas
  • jonsaan 23 Jul 2009 16:00:31 27,052 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Faraway Tree.
  • Pirotic Moderator 23 Jul 2009 16:06:56 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    War and Peace.

Free popcorn if anybody survives long enough to see the ending.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.