What books would you like to see adapted into movies? Page 3

• localnotail 23 Jul 2009 16:10:01 23,072 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can we have Judge Dread done properly with Clint please?
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 16:11:51 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!

I was going to post a bit earlier about how the whole Dead Man thing would have been superb with Clint as Dredd...but now? Nah, even Dredd's chin's not that craggy...

Wonder what did happen to the new proposed Dredd / Death movie...

/goes scurrying to IMDB
  • figgis 23 Jul 2009 16:20:15 7,721 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dredd Film Art.

http://io9.com/5125143/he-is-the-law-your-first-look-at-judge-dredd-movie
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 16:23:41 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    OOH!

/gets excited.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 16:35:32
    Spanky wrote:
    1984 with Will Smith as Winston Smith(with a name like that he's gotta be a n
    Ha! That could be excellent - in an awful Legend/I ROBOT kind of way. I like Will Smith.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 16:36:56
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Thomas Covenant Chronicles, though it'll never happen.
    I don't know how they could do them without being very boring. Maybe if they kept it to under 100 minutes and just did the interesting stuff?
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 16:38:10
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    American Gods would be good.
    Could be good - but who would play the leads?
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 16:39:02
    My own suggestion - The Difference Engine.
  • pjmaybe 23 Jul 2009 16:41:03 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

Eek. A LOT of the book could be mercilessly cut out though. Lot of long boring wibbly shit in there that wouldn't be missed. Basically someone could just nick the idea of workers vs numbercrunchers, steampunk it up a bit and it'd probably be quite saucy.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 19:28:15
    @The posters who've said the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly

He appears to be a forum favourite! How about a series that broke each book down into 4-5 episodes? That could work, I reckon the (relatively slow for detective books)procedural pace would work fine on TV.

The only other way would be to do a new series altogether, but I'd want an arc like The Wire, showing his gradual disillusionment. With Jerry Edgar as his partner.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 19:53:36
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Odin would be Robert De Niro. Whatsisface (main character) - Javier Bardem.
    Oh that's a good choice. That'd work.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 19:56:11
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:

Eek. A LOT of the book could be mercilessly cut out though. Lot of long boring wibbly shit in there that wouldn't be missed. Basically someone could just nick the idea of workers vs numbercrunchers, steampunk it up a bit and it'd probably be quite saucy.
    I dunno. There's enough set-pieces in there to fill 90 minutes+. Loads of scope for showy CGI. Stick whatserchops from Underworld in the lead role and it's a winner.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2009 20:45:31
    While people are suggesting Wyndham books, I'd like to see 'The kraken wakes'.
  • Paperghost 23 Jul 2009 21:48:09 1,702 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    weaveworld by clive barker. it'd probably get mangled though.
  • speedofthepuma 23 Jul 2009 21:51:26 13,428 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Stainless Steel Rat, with... Robert Downey Jr.
  • WrongShui 23 Jul 2009 21:55:41 6,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd like to see Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines and maybe the other books in the series if I ever get round to reading them.
  • CaptainBinky 23 Jul 2009 21:57:29 2,243 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Which is already on the cards, apparently. Would rather they did it as a miniseries though, to be honest, as it'd be a shame to lop a load of the good bits out for brevity.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 23 Jul 2009 22:03:17 8,934 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    World War Z
  • WrongShui 23 Jul 2009 22:06:40 6,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's being done BGiE.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 23 Jul 2009 22:13:03 8,934 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    World War Z
  • WrongShui 23 Jul 2009 22:43:00 6,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah I hope they make that into a film as well.
  • absolutezero 23 Jul 2009 22:43:57 7,952 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Perdido Street Station, In the Night Garden orrrrrrrr either Veniss Underground or an Ambergris series of tales.

Yes.
  • Spanky 23 Jul 2009 22:44:39 15,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    A film of the Prince Buster song? Awesomes!
  • Scimarad 23 Jul 2009 22:46:05 9,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder. That could absolutely kick major arse!
  • Ged42 23 Jul 2009 23:23:10 7,985 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Echoing Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, though I think it might work better as a BBC drama series than a film.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick - The whole Nazi's/Japan winning WWII setting would be cool, but the story would never survive the movie making process.

'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' and 'The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul' by Douglas Adams - Just hope they're better than the Hitchiker's Guide film.

The Brentford series by Robert Rankin - Just because they're awesome.
  • localnotail 23 Jul 2009 23:24:10 23,072 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    A film of the Prince Buster song? Awesomes!

typingerrorLOL

I can see him now: "I am here to try all you Rude Bois for shootin' black people...HUSH UP PUNK!"

Paperghost wrote:
    weaveworld by clive barker. it'd probably get mangled though.

ooooh yes. I used to stalk Clive Barker when I was a teenager. Probably what turned him gay. He made the mistake of buying me coffee and danishes in that little café near to the original forbidden planet.
  • localnotail 23 Jul 2009 23:25:15 23,072 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    Echoing Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, though I think it might work better as a BBC drama series than a film.

yes. too much detail for a film.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick - The whole Nazi's/Japan winning WWII setting would be cool, but the story would never survive the movie making process.

Flow My Tears The Policeman Said would be better IMO.
  • Ged42 23 Jul 2009 23:55:56 7,985 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Ged42 wrote:

yes. too much detail for a film.

I suppose it would make a nice change for the BBC Costume Drama department, they must get so sick of doing Bronte and Austin adaptations. Can't decide on which old British actor to play Mr. Norrel though.

localnotail wrote:
    Ged42 wrote:

Flow My Tears The Policeman Said would be better IMO.

I can't remember if I've read Flow My Tears The Policeman Said, I've found that Philip K.Dick's stories tend to merge together after a while. Even after checking through the overview on the Wiki entry I'm still not sure if i've read it or not. lol

Though I'd love to see to see a series done with each episode being a different Philip K.Dick short story especially if they did 'Cadbury, the Beaver Who Lacked,' as a Disney style cartoon.
  • localnotail 24 Jul 2009 00:03:44 23,072 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How old do you think Mr Norrell is? I like Ken Stott a lot, but I think maybe he is too old

I found this online - apparently Christopher Hampton has been adapting it - wonder what New Line are doing with it? lots of casting chat in the comments

edits: imdb entry

Ged42 wrote:
    I can't remember if I've read Flow My Tears The Policeman Said, I've found that Philip K.Dick's stories tend to merge together after a while. Even after checking through the overview on the Wiki entry I'm still not sure if i've read it or not. lol

maybe your personal reality was erased somehow? ;)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.