Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) Page 8

• Hunam 19 Mar 2011 01:06:21 20,673 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What I found funny in Yakuza 3 was how different Kazuma's personality was in the main story, where he's fairly wise, callous and sharp, where in the side quests he was very naive, trusting, helpful and a bit of a drip at times. Clearly it's just two different teams not working together properly, but it makes him a complete mentalist in the scheme of the whole game.
  • barrylyndon 19 Mar 2011 01:48:21 163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have just started the second part with the killer yakuza. it certainly has its faults, such as it can be slow sometimes, and often makes no sense to me. yet the characters and the sense of place in this game are very impressive. I think it is definitely an improvement on the 3rd yakuza, no more boring orphanage bit to get through. it is a more entertaining, streamlined and more interesting version of yakuza 3.
  • FabricatedLunatic 19 Mar 2011 09:37:00 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Yakuza, an example in wildly swinging tone from serious to silly, played perfectly.
    So true. Just had the first Revelation myself, a moment to almost rival the second game's Be My Baby sidequest in the sheer jaw-droppery stakes. And it's smack bang in the middle of a completely serious part of the story :D

Also, I totally agree about the subtle expressiveness of the characters' faces. Yakuza may look and feel a bit dated at times, but I can't recall playing a game with such amazing facial animation.
  • Kujata 19 Mar 2011 14:49:16 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only played it for 10 mins. What was the first thing I id? Head straight in to POPPO to have a browse of the magazines. And what are they playing over the in-store soundsystem? Only this little beauty.
  • iWolf 19 Mar 2011 17:57:29 14 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kujata wrote:
    Only played it for 10 mins. What was the first thing I id? Head straight in to POPPO to have a browse of the magazines. And what are they playing over the in-store soundsystem? Only this little beauty.

Awesome, it's always the little things that make these games special.

I've bought my copy on day 1 in the more than likely fruitless hope that it may spur Sega to make some kind of attempt at Shenmue 3 (Yakuza engine kplsthxbai ).
  • curryking3 19 Mar 2011 18:41:21 4 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^That's awesome... SEGA... how did you make this genius franchise? :D
  • Deleted user 19 March 2011 18:55:08
    Kujata wrote:

Oh man, did you really have to mention this ?

Ahhh, still remember fondly the day i got home late evening with my sparkly-new Xbox and copies of JSRF, SegaGT and DOA3...

/xbox connected to telly
    /JSRF loads
    /Press Start on title menu
    /Screen explodes in a glorious shower of colours
    /Me : (^___________^)

Good times, in fact, it's been years since i felt that way with a new console/game...

Anyway, you guys pretty much sold the game to me, i haven't read a single bad opinion/hands-on yet !
    Oh yes, how bad are framerate drops gents in the final build of the game ?

Cheers
  • Kujata 19 Mar 2011 19:17:02 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I love little in game references and fan service like that.

Only played a couple of hours, and I can already tell I'm going to miss Akiyama. He has a nice line in put-downs for punks and Yakuza silly enough to call him out and a much less serious overall tone than Uncle Kaz. Also his helping random strangers makes much more sense given his background, and I can see his job leading to some interesting missions.

Klem... do it. It really is SEGA at there best. A unique and compelling video game series.
  • King_Edward 19 Mar 2011 20:32:35 11,470 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best table tennis game ever! 8D

Just finished part one and it's just so good. It's almost impossible to stop playing. If the rest of the cast is halve as good as Akiyama then I'm happy.

Klem. It's chugged once or twice walking around the city, but the fights are are smooth as butter as far as I can tell.
  • Kostabi 19 Mar 2011 20:52:23 5,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just ordered this off the back of this thread and the EG reviews.

Is it worth picking up Yakuza 3 super cheap as well or is 4 enjoyable as a standalone?
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Mar 2011 21:13:56 6,873 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kujata wrote:
    Yeah, I love little in game references and fan service like that.

Klem... do it. It really is SEGA at there best. A unique and compelling video game series.
    Loving the current digs at a certain stealth franchise..... :)

"I defeated the enemy's bipedal mechanical tank....with my bare hands"
    &
    Hideo "In no way related or copying a certain Kojima" Sugiyama
  • FabricatedLunatic 19 Mar 2011 21:34:33 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Is it worth picking up Yakuza 3 super cheap as well or is 4 enjoyable as a standalone?
    Since Yakuza 4 has everything Yakuza 3 had and more, including a better story (at least what I've seen of it so far), I'd recommend just picking this up for now. All Yakuza games can stand alone perfectly well but there are plot threads running through the series and several recurring characters. Y4 includes recaps of the first three games, bringing you up to speed with all of that.
  • Kostabi 19 Mar 2011 21:49:19 5,919 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ah goodo, cheers for that FabricatedLunatic.
  • Rauha 19 Mar 2011 23:31:17 4,271 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:

Which of the minigames have online leaderboards? I know Boxcelios does (I was very briefly in the top 100) but I don't think I've been prompted to upload scores for anything else. Leaderboards should give them decent longevity.

So 300,000+ on Boxcelios 2, check the leaderboard to find myself at 65th. What's this!? Fablooney at 64th? Oh, its on!!! :D

Substories from Chapter 2 are keeping me away from the main game. Akiyama is such an awesome character.
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Mar 2011 23:47:25 6,873 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, anyone trading their camera phone for a hammer and chisel then ? ;)

One thing that's annoying me, is that there are items in Akiyama's story that I require in Seijima's, and vice versa. Undoubtably it'll be similar with cop and Kiryu later.
    I hope to god there's a point where they can be swapped, a shared hideout box or something, as some of the side-missions are going nowhere without said items because I haven't located them otherwise. Bah.
  • Kafeen 20 Mar 2011 09:49:55 565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Best table tennis game ever! 8D

I got to 99 in the online rankings last night.

Only 8 points though, it was over 170 for 1st -_-
  • FabricatedLunatic 20 Mar 2011 10:25:32 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    One thing that's annoying me, is that there are items in Akiyama's story that I require in Seijima's, and vice versa.
    You mean items for creating weapons or something else? That would be a bit annoying as I've opened most of the lockers and pilfered the booty within.

@Rauha
    No idea how I managed 3 million. The first two times I reached levels 47 and 49, which earned me about 2 million. Third time I reached level 50 and ended up with a million more points.

One thing holding me back is not knowing whether I'll be able to control Akiyama again until premium adventure mode post-completion. Should I finish up his missions now or will I have an opportunity later? I dunno :-|

On a vaguely related note, I gave one of the hostesses a school uniform and she wore it next time I visited. Now that's what I call service. (Er, not that I have a thing for Japanese school uniforms, you understand; I was just trying to get the trophy. No, rly!)
  • TheBear 20 Mar 2011 11:48:04 4,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Where about is the table tennis? Can't see it in the map. Cheers!
  • FabricatedLunatic 20 Mar 2011 12:05:42 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can play table tennis at the hot springs in the northern part of Kamurocho. I haven't been there myself yet, and I've been playing for 17 hours. Too much to do.
  • TheBear 20 Mar 2011 12:25:28 4,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks Fab Looney. Off to check it out!
  • Rauha 20 Mar 2011 12:58:47 4,271 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    One thing that's annoying me, is that there are items in Akiyama's story that I require in Seijima's, and vice versa.

On a vaguely related note, I gave one of the hostesses a school uniform and she wore it next time I visited. Now that's what I call service. (Er, not that I have a thing for Japanese school uniforms, you understand; I was just trying to get the trophy. No, rly!)

Panty sniffing aside. Must remember she likes Beer, Chocolate and dislike the title: Samba Queen.

Spent all my dough in the hostess bar :( - which is weird since Akiyama's supposed to be stupidly rich. Oh well.

Odd discrepancy between the difficults in Yak 4 and Yak 3. Yak 3's 'hard' dished out Stamina-X all over the shop, with health and stamina pick ups being rare drops.
  • Kujata 20 Mar 2011 14:20:27 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm really trying to finish Dragon Age II at the moment, but I keep being tempted to return to the streets of Tokyo. Akiyama is just such a dude, I want him to be my e-Dad.

Haven't even been to a hostess club yet, but I have a feeling it may be the end of all my other gaming pursuits. Like FabLoon I am a little worried about progressing to the next character before finishing the Substories. Does the game give you a 'This is the point of no return, are you sure you want to continue?' moment a la any good RPG ever?
  • FabricatedLunatic 20 Mar 2011 18:28:42 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had my first game of table tennis and had my arse handed to me by Rio. God damn it. It's no Rockstar Table Tennis, that's fer sure.

But glol at the boob cam - how can something so wrong feel so right?
  • Rauha 20 Mar 2011 20:24:49 4,271 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure I should say this yet. But 11 hours in, only on Chapter 3. This might just be the best Yakuza of the lot. So much to do!!! I'm lost!

Agree with ossoviets comment; this is the game that is teaching Heavy Rain how to tell a story (hope he meant that :D).
  • King_Edward 20 Mar 2011 20:28:22 11,470 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For anyone worried about leaving Akiyama, I'll point out the Saejima kicks ass too even if he is a bit of a paedo. :)
  • Rauha 20 Mar 2011 20:35:04 4,271 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I get an OldBoy vibe from him.
  • Rigu7 20 Mar 2011 20:45:57 112 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    For anyone worried about leaving Akiyama, I'll point out the Saejima kicks ass too even if he is a bit of a paedo. :)

Took me a wee while to get used to him. A human battering ram seems to be the best approach. I miss Akiyama's taunts though. Particularly the crouching variant.

The missus just shook her head when she saw me frantically button mash the massage parlour mini-game, then nonchalantly batter puffy jackets.
  • King_Edward 20 Mar 2011 20:51:18 11,470 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, his fighting style is pretty much the polar opposite of Mr A's. Switching from all quick kicks and combos, to throws and charge attacks meant a certain familiar someone handed me my arse a few times. :)

@Rauha. An apt comparison.
  • jkrodal 20 Mar 2011 22:23:14 155 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    Had my first game of table tennis and had my arse handed to me by Rio. God damn it. It's no Rockstar Table Tennis, that's fer sure.

But glol at the boob cam - how can something so wrong feel so right?

Lost to Rio here as well haha. I'd like to say it was on purpose, but pressing L2 really messed up my rythm
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Mar 2011 23:12:36 6,873 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    Not sure I should say this yet. But 11 hours in, only on Chapter 3. This might just be the best Yakuza of the lot. So much to do!!! I'm lost!

Agree with ossoviets comment; this is the game that is teaching Heavy Rain how to tell a story (hope he meant that :D).
    Indeed. Around 5-10 hours ahead by the comments, already halfway through Aikido/Judo styled cop Tanimura's story. Brillant set of moves, and probably my fave. Revelations are getting more ridiculous, and the sub-stories are getting longer.

A few tips:

-Struggling to find sub-stories ? Check Shellac for the reporter, he'll tell you where to go if there's any to do.
    -Being permanently drunk is combat friendly. Hell, I've taken to always carrying some tins of 'Special Brew' just to top up. :)
    -The items worries have been answered, as there'll be a shared item box between the cast later on.
    -Seijima is an absolute beast in a certain 'underground scene'. Money easily earnt (over 500,000 in an hour).

Week off holiday starts tomorrow, perfect timing. Hai-YA !
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.