Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) Page 10

• BBIAJ 11 Apr 2011 15:25:31 841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Backwards SEGA? Bit harsh, given that most games don't have a HUD toggle/opacity option.

Doing yourself out of the awesomeness that is Yakuza 4 for that reason alone is a bit extreme to say the least, but hey, your choice.

On another note, I'd like to repeat the recommendation from the Blu-Ray thread that I made about Yakuza: L'ordre Du Dragon (Like A Dragon), 'cos it's bloody brilliant if you're a fan.

Totally worth it for the portrayal of Majima alone, a favourite character of the series for me.
  • billythekid 11 Apr 2011 15:41:12 12,525 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What sort of 2 grand telly suffers image retention after 10 minutes?!?
  • FabricatedLunatic 11 Apr 2011 16:04:53 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm fairly sure the energy bars are only displayed during combat (and the average battle is over in less than a minute). Will check later.

The fighting is probably the main attraction for many players, but there's much more to the game than that.
  • Rigu7 11 Apr 2011 16:11:57 112 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    I'm fairly sure the energy bars are only displayed during combat (and the average battle is over in less than a minute). Will check later.

The fighting is probably the main attraction for many players, but there's much more to the game than that.

They appear in shops when you eat or drink as well.

Your man might end up with a ghost image of the massage mini-game bar on his TV!
  • EffEmmGee 11 Apr 2011 17:26:20 43 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    To say that I've done alot of research over the last 10 months on HDTV's is a serious understatement!

I'm guessing your TV is Plasma as they are notorious for suffering from Image Retention (LCD's can take months for burn and LED's years or never), but this only occurs when a static image (or group of pixels) are left on for as little as a few weeks. So when you say this happens in 10 minutes makes me question how old your TV is and/or what your settings are.

Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at you, I'm trying to be helpful.

It is also a common misconception that the TV settings out of the box are good settings...they're not! And keeping these settings can lessen the life/quality of your panel. You may ask why as it looks so good?

Out-of-the-box settings have one purpose, to sell the TV at it's best when demo'd on a shop floor in a brightly lit atmosphere. It needs to pop out at you and make you buy it. Using these settings at home in a darker room distort the image.

Just a quick google can come up with some ideal settings, they may look washed out at first but that's because you're used to the "pop".
    If your Backlight is high you should turn it down to at least 50%, this lowers the chance/intensity of burn as well as lengthening the life of your TV (and uses less electricity too!).

Also £2G for a TV! GEEZUS! If it IS a Plasma, they're normally the cheaper of the 3 (Plasma -> LCD -> LED), if you have any further Qs just ask.

Back on topic.

I've been watching my fiancé play alot of Yakuza and my only regret is that I play games on a 1440x900 PC monitor and there isn't any reasonably priced way of connecting a PS2 or PS3 via VGA. Sure I could "borrow" his TV when he's not using it, but games such as Yakuza require ALOT of time and dedication. I'll get round to upgrading my screen one da
  • FabricatedLunatic 15 Apr 2011 16:34:48 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Went back to the game after a couple of weeks of Motorstorming and promptly finished part 4. Then, for the first time in the series, I managed to find every single motherfucking locker key (something I made more difficult than I needed to because I'd forgotten that Akiyama was holding two that I hadn't used during his chapter). The detector is a godsend.

Not that the reward was worthwhile.

Time for some side missions and maybe even a few trophies before the endgame.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Apr 2011 21:40:24 6,843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished it last week, and the finale, as brilliant as it was, just felt underwhelming compared to the Amon fights I'd completed just beforehand.

I'd recommend saving the stories for Premium adventure in hindsight, especially as the costumes available are lolsome to say the least. Kiryu as a Mexican wrestler, Haruka as a cheerleader, belting it out in the karaoke joint. A sight to behold. :D
  • FabricatedLunatic 15 Apr 2011 23:26:46 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm a bit conflicted over whether to complete all substories before finishing the game or waiting until Premium Adventure. I tend to lose interest in games once the main story is done, but on the other hand there's an awful lot still left to do and getting sidetracked for hours at a time does have a detrimental effect on the story's pacing.

In other news, I'm hopelessly addicted to Saejima's fighter training minigame.
  • richarddavies 7 May 2011 11:25:01 7,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing this the past week or so. Im only up to the second fella (Saejima?) The man mountain looking fucker. Im liking this up to yet. It's a nice change of pace playing the game as different characters. Not bothered too much with the side missions yet though. Only one that caught my attention was digging for treasure in the sewer system for a hobo.
  • BBIAJ 11 Jul 2011 20:58:17 841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    coomber wrote:
    You haven't played 2 or 3, PS? They're my fave games in the series!
    I've dipped into 1 and 2, but totalled 3 before doing 4.

Just waiting for Of The End now!
  • Ziz0u 9 Dec 2011 13:20:19 11,006 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just got this.

Love it! My first Yakuza game. So much to do, so much to see.

And the graphics (especially the cutscenes obviously) are great imo. Don't get why people say they aren't.
  • King_Edward 9 Dec 2011 13:27:14 11,470 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It 576p or some shit. When some people hear that it does weird things to their brains.
  • Ziz0u 9 Dec 2011 14:08:01 11,006 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Clearly makes their eyes fuck out since it looks pretty... pretty... pretty good to me.
  • Cappy 9 Dec 2011 14:17:58 14,249 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yakuza's graphics are disappointing because they're simply not at the expected standard.

Just like Fallout 3 still has the same janky animation and character models, even if you play it on max. settings on a PC, if the PS3 version actually worked properly I'd actually prefer to play it there at a paltry 720p. People aren't criticising the resolution but the standard of the underlying assets.

Yakuza went from a series which was on par with other decent PS2 games to something that's below the general standard expected for PS3 games. Technically it's a mess, though the faces are very nicely done, unfortunately the rest of the game didn't get the same level of polish and attention.
  • elstoof 9 Dec 2011 14:27:56 26,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I thought it looked fine, good enough to do the job. Unless I'm getting them mixed up. This is the one where you run around Tokyo having scraps and looking for orphans right? Or was that Yakuza 2?
  • Cappy 9 Dec 2011 14:31:27 14,249 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's Yakuza 3.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.