Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) Page 11

Next Last
  • JoeGBallad 13 Dec 2011 12:07:48 474 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All the yakuza games have been technical and artistic marvels at their time of release. The first moments of Yakuza 4, running around the streets of Kamurocho in the pouring rain, neon lights reflecting off the sodden ground, are among the most beautiful the ps3 has pumped out.
  • Kujata 24 Jan 2012 19:05:23 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So... anyone excited for Dead Souls? The thread for it is... er, dead.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 May 2012 15:24:11 29,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I finally played this despite hating the Yakuza 3 demo and I've loved it, a complete blast to play, hugely atmospheric, funny and super characters.
    I'm at the Requiem:Finale stage so need to get characters reads for the final scrap.

Akiyama is one of my have characters in video gaming :-)
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 19:09:00
    I bought Yakuza 3 and played 3hours before turning off and selling it the next day. I cant see what the fuss is about this game: Bad graphics, horrible long cut scenes, crap music, fuck I could go on. You bumped into me u going to pay for that.!!!
  • King_Edward 10 May 2012 23:46:07 11,470 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

You should go back to Yakuza 3 if you get the chance. No Akiyama unfortunately but all in all I think it's a better game than the fourth one, even without the missing content. Even better go back and play no.2. Best in the series and one of my favourite all time games.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 May 2012 09:58:11 29,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @King_Edward

Cheers K_E, I don't really care about the missing content, I found the Hostess Club stuff in Yakuza 4 utterly dull and on't know why anyone cares about it.
    I will be tempted but I still have a big backlog, will knowing more or less the backstory affect it?
  • Rigu7 21 May 2012 12:20:19 112 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @asho It's an acquired taste. You really need to give it longer than 3 hours as it's fairly unwelcoming to newcomers. Severe shortcomings like a poor minimap, confusing door entries, that large Japanese font which looks poor for Roman characters and random battles all seem insurmountable to long-term enjoyment. Yakuza 3 is very slow to start with, what with fishing, golf, playing hide and seek with orphans etc.

Once you get through this and start to build up your moveset on the streets, particularly with quick dodges and counters, and get to know your way about, you will find yourself actually enjoying it and deliberately hunting down battles with drunken puffy jackets. The combat becomes very visceral and quite deep. Even better when you open up the cagefighting arena. I spent days just doing that and not progressing the story.

It is worth persevering with despite the quite obvious flaws.

Edited by Rigu7 at 12:21:58 21-05-2012
  • bobdebob 22 Jun 2012 12:48:21 601 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've only played Yakuza 2, didn't clock it since I lost my save near the end but I want to know if it's worth to buy 3 & 4.

Yakuza 2 was an OK game but there were quite a few gameplay niggles like the harder enemies keep knocking you down before you get up and wandering the streets when its sometimes not clear what or where you're supposed to go.

The main thing that bugged me was the ridculousness, in the beginning the plot was relatively believable and restrained, as went on though, castles appearing from the ground, massive underground 'Big Trouble in Little China' city, fighting tigers, unbelievable 'honourable' criminals, one man beats up 100 men, massive big brother tower, etc.

Is this sort of stuff toned down in the sequels?
  • King_Edward 22 Jun 2012 12:52:56 11,470 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No. It gets more absurd if anything.
  • FabricatedLunatic 22 Jun 2012 13:19:29 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't remember about the older games but in Yakuza 4 there's a map icon showing you where the next story mission is.

I'd say there's nothing quite as implausible as the castle-within-a-castle or tiger punching in either Yakuza 3 or 4, but the stories are still ridiculously melodramatic and full of barmy twists. In Yakuza 4 the main antagonist must have changed about half-a-dozen times over the course of the game, owing to betrayals and new characters crawling out of the woodwork. It's something you either roll with or roll your eyes at, really.
  • bobdebob 22 Jun 2012 14:11:27 601 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    I can't remember about the older games but in Yakuza 4 there's a map icon showing you where the next story mission is.

I'd say there's nothing quite as implausible as the castle-within-a-castle or tiger punching in either Yakuza 3 or 4, but the stories are still ridiculously melodramatic and full of barmy twists. In Yakuza 4 the main antagonist must have changed about half-a-dozen times over the course of the game, owing to betrayals and new characters crawling out of the woodwork. It's something you either roll with or roll your eyes at, really.
    Guess I'm going to pass then.
  • King_Edward 22 Jun 2012 14:15:13 11,470 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shame. You'll never re-live the joys of punching a tiger.
  • Deleted user 1 January 2015 11:05:09
    Well as mentioned in the Yak 5 thread I bought and installed this last night. Going to get a couple of hours on it today before the footy. Never played one of these and watching footage it gives me a shenmue vibe for some reason.
  • elstoof 1 Jan 2015 11:21:42 26,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's much, much better than Shenmue.
  • Deleted user 1 January 2015 11:29:17
    @elstoof

Really? I loved those games.
  • elstoof 1 Jan 2015 11:53:47 26,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Me too, but Yakuza is just amaze. Great atmosphere, great retro style gameplay and design, nonsense but awesome story and characters and shit keeps happening. You can stop anytime and do the mundane day to day Shenmue stuff too.

Edited by elstoof at 11:57:17 01-01-2015
  • Deleted user 1 January 2015 19:12:21
    Watched all the recap earlier. Really made we want to play the other 3 lol. Will start this once kids are in bed :)
  • Deleted user 10 January 2015 15:12:20
    Sunk a few hours into this. It's a strange one. I actually find the gameplay a bit uninspiring and the combat a bit naff but I'm utterly compelled by the story so far. That alone will keep me going.
  • elstoof 23 Jan 2015 11:51:28 26,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How're you getting on with it @addyb
  • Deleted user 23 January 2015 23:36:08
    elstoof wrote:
    How're you getting on with it @addyb
    Not played it since. Haven't had the time. I've not switched my ps3 & ps4 on for weeks now. Getting my sporadic gaming fixes from my shield portable and the odd bit of galaxy 2 on Wii U.

Hopefully I will return to it at some point as I was liking the story.
  • GeezaTap 29 Mar 2016 08:59:26 351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started playing this last week, seeing as it was on Plus'n'all.

You certainly get a lot of bang for your back.

12 hours into it and playing as Saejima. Not a massive fan of having to avoid the polis, but digging how much of a powerhouse he is.

I was way too 'premature' in the massage mini-game - poor Akiyama must have a complex.......
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Mar 2016 11:40:00 4,067 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I played through this last year. A nice solid entry in the series and the new characters added a bit more variety and it was nice to see Kamurocho expanding a bit vertically. Saejima was fun to play as but yeah, the cops were annoying but luckily pretty easy to avoid being forced into the minigame.
  • Psiloc 8 Oct 2018 15:54:49 5,754 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm onto this one now. Only played about an hour though.

It's been interesting reading through this thread in retrospect; there were a few posts complaining that the game looked the same or worse than Y3. Having played them back to back Y4 is a definite technical step up from Y3. Animation, textures, resolution all took a noticeable step up, but it's one of those where it would be easy to misremember Y3 in the interim and think Y4 performed the same.

One thing that absolutely sucks about Y3 (and possibly 4) though - and I say this as someone who came into the series at 0 and was spoiled with the "Kiwami" treatment - is that substories are not pointed out on your map at all. You have to randomly run into them, or decipher the pedestrian chatter that might lead you to a one if you're lucky, or more likely, you have to use a guide. It near totally killed my desire to go side questing. You can't even add custom waypoints. Bleh. It might sound like blaspheme or something to long time fans but Sega were absolutely right to concede to modern conveniences and start showing them on the map. It will be interesting to see if they add stuff like this to the remasters, considering they've confirmed they're not going full Kiwami.

Anyway so far, my favourites in order are:

Y0
    K2
    K1
    Y3

So far 4 has started off way better than 3, which took forever to get going.
  • Navi 8 Oct 2018 16:15:44 347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, 4 is fantastic and is still my favourite in the series (just, zero and 6 come very close). I'd like them to do a kiwami on it as well, although the PS4 versions will have to do for now.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2020 10:54:05 29,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started the remake of this last night , it's the only Yakuza game that I played before this gen, I had forgot how great a character Akiyama is and how much fun his fast combat is.
    Quite surprising how less clunky it is compared to Yakuza 3 as well as how much better it is visually, considering they both came out on PS3 within a year or two of each other.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.