Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Yakuza 4) Page 3

• jellyhead 10 Mar 2010 19:48:48 24,347 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's a typo.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2010 20:27:04
    @Ed, Demon's Souls 29/40 (from Scamitsu) ... and yet Demon's Souls >>>>> FF13 :p
  • SlackMaster 11 Mar 2010 08:53:55 3,156 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yakuza 3 arrived yesterday for me, and although I own the first two games of the trilogy I've not played them yet as I've not got around to setting up my PS2.

The first thing I've noticed is that it probably pays to play the first two games as there are a lot of characters and back-story that aren't explained all that well. You do have the option to review the story of the 1st and 2nd games but since I own them and would like to play them at some point I don't want to ruin the story. This isn't the games fault its just my own decision.

Secondly, although I'm not a graphics whore, they are a mixed bag in this game. Textures are very muddy and lack detail and hair on some characters can look like it's made of plastic. Other little details like if a character is wet their hair is dry and styled is also a little lazy. This doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the game, but it just detracts from the realism a little and you come to expect more from this generation of game. Other things like skin detail/texture is very good though and quite lifelike . It seems as though the games was originally built for the PS2 and then just moved to the PS3 and polished.

Thirdly, it's great that the original voice work is in Japanese with subtitles, so there is no hammy acting etc and it feels more authentic. There is probably a little too much story to start the game off for my personal taste though, with little opportunity to actually play the game until about 20 minutes in. When you do get to control the character the beginning areas are very enclosed and do not really give you all that much freedom.

Overall my impressions so far are quite positive. If you are a fan of the original games then there is much to like about this game. I just hope the story improves and the game opens up a more to a larger sandbox to play in.
  • oldschoolsoviet 11 Mar 2010 09:20:58 6,843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think we need a 'general' Yakuza thread, lest there be further confusion.......

/looks at Y3 thread
  • uiruki 22 Mar 2010 22:34:50 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Right, this arrived today. Got to the start of part 1 (Akiyama's story), chapter 3.

A few points:

I have no trophies yet. Worryingly, the largest visible number for sub missions is 40, while in RgG3 it was 80. That said, the two missions I've had so far tie directly in to Akiyama's loan business, rather than being just random guys.
    You level up quite fast at first - I got Akiyama up to level 6 in the 3 hours of a maximum 20. You spend points earned each level on extra abilities, while your health and heat gauges go up every level.
    There is a lot more proper talking this time around, and as such there is less clicking through text.
    The game seems to take a much more forgiving stance towards beginners, with advice guys that give you what is at the start a fairly hefty chunk of experience just for getting advice from them. Likewise, early fights give you challenges which show you the basics like the earlier games, but they're optional and you get XP for them.
    Chase battles seem better this time around - running over items on the ground give you a throwable weapon which does damage to the enemy and slows them down.
    Shun Akiyama is a cool dude, but I also like the hardass detective captain Sugiuchi, too.
    Bob Utsunomiya (and Bob Utsunomiya B) can now speak properly but they won't give me anything yet :(
    Network rankings and downloaded ads (!) are in.
    Animation is a step up. Again, facial animation in the cutscenes is excellent, and they're getting better at capturing those most subtle movements.
    You now get an item which beeps when you're close to a locker key!
    Running in the underground mall is cool, as are the new shortcuts. Not all of them are usable - you need someone who can speak certain languages in order to get rid of annoying foreign types blocking your way.
    Fighting seems to start from a lower level point than usual - Akiyama doesn't have the 'stamp on downed enemies' heat action, for example.
    There is another mandatory 5GB install, but at least they have the decency to play a song (sounds like it could go with the ending credits) while showing short bios of each character.
    The intro track by Zeebra isn't anywhere near as good as his own 'Bushido' from Kenzan! and definitely doesn't stand up to 'Loser' from RgG3.
    Helpfully, it now shows you which items of food/drink you have had before when you're in a restaurant or bar.

That'll do for now. I haven't touched the extra activities yet, that will have to wait til I have more time!
  • uiruki 25 Mar 2010 22:48:09 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm 6 hours or so in now. Not much time to do anything during the week, but there we go.

The whole thing seems to have plenty to it - with another 3 characters to establish and assumably an 'all the characters come together to bathe Kamurocho in awesomeness' section at the end, this could well be the lengthiest story yet. It brings the 'create a cabaret girl' screen into the story directly, too :p

I tried the new pachinko, too. It is noisy, repetitive and ever so slightly compulsive. The VF one is only based on 4, though, and there isn't enough Lau in it for me :( I also don't see a dingily lit TUC (not the union!) shop nearby to trade your prizes for cash, though I haven't actually won anything yet.

I'll be playing this a lot over the weekend. Anyone got any questions?
  • K8_Truth 25 Mar 2010 22:56:08 520 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a general question, I am currently playing through yakuza 2 on the ps2 and one of the problems I am having is sometimes I don't know what to do next, to get further in the story. In this and yakuza 3 do they make it more obvious about what you have to do next?
  • FabricatedLunatic 25 Mar 2010 22:59:24 13,125 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In Yakuza 3 the location at which you need to trigger the next story event is clearly marked on the map. I don't recall having any issues with that in Yakuza 2. Does it not tell you what to do on the menu somewhere?
  • K8_Truth 25 Mar 2010 23:01:21 520 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I got to part where I must have missed a story part, there is no marker. Its the reason I chose to give it a rest but think I went to get back to it now.

I will eventually find, will wander about :)
  • uiruki 25 Mar 2010 23:01:53 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    In the pause menu there should be a line or two saying what to do next. I dimly remember it being in the Select button 'return to main menu' pause screen in the second game.
  • TheFisherman 25 Mar 2010 23:29:21 96 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1) how much have the graphics improved compared over 3.
    2) is the animation better, the running in 3 looks odd and stiff.
    3) is the story continuing from 3.
    4) how much more content is there compared to 3, more minigames(do they play better).
    5) how are the new characters, which one is your favourite. is there a big enough difference between? Can you choose which character to be or do change from character to the next?
    6) how different do the cities look compared to 3?
  • uiruki 25 Mar 2010 23:43:16 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The graphics have improved a bit. There don't seem to be as many lower res textures, there is antialiasing from time to time and there is a natty rain effect, though it still runs at less than 720p.

The running animation is better, though the graduated walking to running animations if you don't move at 100% speed still look a bit odd.

The story's set a year after 3. Kiryu ha recovered from the events of 3 and he is looking after the kids at Asagao.

The content's a funny one. There are definitely new minigames (kaku-tsuku, pachinko, tabletennis etc) and existing ones have been improved. There are now online leaderboards for the score based games, though you can only upload and check scores from your hideout for some insane reason. There seem to be fewer side missions, but each one I have had so far has lasted longer. The story seems to be lasting longer, too.

I can't really say much out of the new characters so far as I'm still in the middle of part one. I'd have to say Akiyama so far, though, with Sugiuchi a close second. You play through the story with the character the game gives you at the appropriate time but the manual specifically mentions Premium Adventure after the end of the game.

As for the appearance of Kamurocho, apart from new/changed shops (Club Ageha no longer exists, for example, and there is a new underground mall leading to the underground from the Ryu ga Gotoku equivalent of Yasukuni-doori) only really the new weather stands out. There are alleys I haven't been able to pass yet as the people blocking them don't speak Japanese, and the theatre/cinema area has received a fairly major lick of paint. I haven't been to see Hanaya yet so I don't know what is going on there. The rooftop and underground areas haven't been explored too much yet, either, as Akiyama's not so well suited to either area.
  • K8_Truth 27 Mar 2010 08:53:06 520 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 27 March 2010 08:53:55
    Nope. Set a year after.
  • uiruki 27 Mar 2010 23:09:48 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Right, I wrote this for a different site and so there may be a few repeated elements here.

I just finished the first 'part,' and am about 16 hours in. Although, I did spend about 3 hours beating the Cabaret girl creation part. That's because I have no eye for fashion, it seems!

This version has a slightly different flow to the earlier games in the series, in that Kiryu isn't the only guy you play as. In fact, going at the current rate, I suspect it'll be about 40 hours before I get my hands on him. The game's split into at least four parts, each one with a different character. The first part was four (fairly long) chapters, and there were about sixteen different sub missions. In totaly that'll make 16 chapters and about 60 missions - less than Ryu 3, but each one seems a bit longer, and the ones in the first part, at least, have more to do with the character rather than Ryu 3's 'street fighting sage' approach.

Onto the game itself. The first part puts you in control of Shun Akiyama, a relaxed looking guy in his early 30s who has gained himself a legendary reputation as a money lender. The rumours say that he lends money without a guarantor, without any security and he doesn't even charge interest. Instead, he gives each customer a customised test: pass that, and he'll lend you the money. They even say if you borrow money from him, you'll never borrow money again...

The first thing you notice on launching into Akiyama's story is the lengthy cutscenes. There are more voiced parts than before, and definitely more 'properly' animated scenes. Although there remain parts where you're hitting Circle while two barely animated people stare each other out, they're much less numerous than the unusually quiet Ryu 3. That said, one of the nicest features about Kenzan! was the fact they eliminated most of the silent scenes by having auto-playing voices. They don't seem to exist here. Still, as a character Akiyama is excellent - he has a more colourful past than Kiryu did in the first game and, as the theme of the game goes, is a legend in his own right. As a 'civilian' he can poke his nose into Yakuza business without causing direct trouble, though he definitely puts a few noses out of joint, and more besides.

One major addition is the addition of many tutorials. Going around the city, you see people with blue triangles over their heads; in the beginning you see a lot of them. Listen to what they have to say and they'll give you advice, which you store in your new journal, and a significant amount of experience. Very useful. As you're fighting with a different character, the first battle serves as a tutorial too.

Akiyama is a Taekwondo master, and as such relies on super fast kicks and dodges to get his work done. One cool thing he can rely on is, even in Hard difficulty, he can just stop a 'heavy' enemy from attacking at all by doing his combo attacks. New Heat moves help increase the variety (just wait til you see the wall-based one!) and he automatically upgrades some Heat actions after a certain number of uses - think Tales and the move masteries.

Without wanting to go into too much detail, there are new systems, returning systems (you can make friends with bystanders again!) and beefed up minigames. The create-a-cabaret girl section actually plays a proper part in Akiyama's story, too, so if Sega do decide to translate they'll need to leave more time before the end of the financial year (or alternatively not spooge out all of their big releases in March).

As a game, it's still a bit clunky. Loading times can be pretty nasty, especially when changing 'layer' - Kamurocho is the only location in the game this time, but they make up for it by adding the rooftops and underground to it. Animations have improved, but there's still a lot of recycling from earlier games. The graphics engine copes much better this time round, though, with only the occasional temporary bit of chugging and even added antialiasing if the scenery isn't very demanding. On the flip side though, the fighting definitely seems more responsive and more bloody, although it is still possible to 'lock on' in the wrong direction if you're not careful - something which is actually useful if you're aiming to pull of some of the counter Heat moves.

On the announcement of the game, it would have been easy to dismiss it as an expansion. On the contrary, though, even though it does reuse a lot of content, there's definitely loads of new stuff in there, and a significant amount of reused parts are visibly improved - the chase battles are no longer unbalanced shitfests, for example! Props to Nagoshi on his producer skills, as he has definitely made his team work this time around.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2010 00:05:38
    Some really good impressions there captain Uiruki! Was wondering about Kenzan, if there is some sort of faq out there that'd aid me if I attempted to play it not knowing any moon language?
  • Cappy 28 Mar 2010 00:08:57 14,249 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This would get you through the game spartan.

It's a very good guide and about as good as it gets for now but not quite a substitute for playing the game in a language you can understand.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2010 00:10:55
    Thats brill Cappy, thanks dude. (Thats quite an epic guide, oh my ...).
  • uiruki 3 Apr 2010 03:51:16 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And finished, about 36 hours or so.

I think it says a lot about the game that I immediately dived back in to finish off Akiyama's side missions - the side missions this time round are sufficiently related to each character, and the new characters are good enough that you naturally want to do them. There definitely are fewer this time round, but it is mostly mitigated by the fact that the cabaret club girls don't count as side missions anymore (they have their own section in the Complete menu).

I think story-wise, it was a definite improvement on 3. Far less of the hackneyed stuff that let down the end of Ryu 3. The most significant addition was the new characters, though - their presence alone definitely rescued this game from perhaps feeling like a sequel too far. Akiyama in particular felt like playing as Kiryu for the first time, finding out about this mysterious man surrounded by rumours and hearsay. The side characters were excellent too - particularly the detective Sugiuchi, who delivers that perfect balance of badassedness and unbelievable arrogance that characterises high level Japanese detectives in all the crime fiction I'm familiar with.

In all, I'm really satisfied. It also appears to be humanly possible to get all the trophies this time around - they're done how I feel those things should be done, a mix of skill (each character has their own special trophy) and just seeing everything the same has to offer. Most of the bronze trophies ar egained by meeting simple enough criteria that can be met with a small amount of effort (get a piece promoted in Shogi) or luck (make a hand of 7 pairs in Mahjong).

Also, the credits are long.
  • bigjack1993 8 May 2010 23:07:15 3 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would u guys get yakuza 4 imported without being able to understand Japanese and just going with instinct on what's going to happen and what's happening. It can't be too hard because you will be abl to pick up the general ideas ofwhats happening as I am playing yakuza 3 at the minute and it's awesome and I'm itching to get my hands on the fourth, thanks guys
  • uiruki 8 May 2010 23:13:06 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It wouldn't be impossible to play the game with a FAQ but you'd probably miss a lot of the flavour of the game, as there sure is a lot of talking.
  • Pirotic Moderator 8 May 2010 23:15:26 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's playable if you've played Yakuza 3, the story is pretty straight forward so while you'll miss all of the plot, you'll have some vague idea of whats happening most of the time.

The other option is to what, wait another year and hope it gets released in a cut-down form with subtitles.. I'd say go for it!
  • Pirotic Moderator 8 May 2010 23:20:14 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    And let's be honest here, who didn't skip all non-voiced dialog in Yakuza 3 anyway.
  • uiruki 8 May 2010 23:22:40 5,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    And let's be honest here, who didn't skip all non-voiced dialog in Yakuza 3 anyway.

Me? :(
  • Deleted user 8 May 2010 23:42:39
    Me? :(
  • Pirotic Moderator 8 May 2010 23:50:53 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Seriously? even the gobshites (orphans)? and the "mafia" side kick who gets lost and wants you to hold his hand constantly?

/goes to hell

Oi, Aniki... (frantically presses buttons to skip the rest)
  • Pirotic Moderator 8 May 2010 23:53:01 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    strokes for folks then I suppose, I liked the game but most of the non-critical dialogue went on a bit.
  • Hunam 9 May 2010 00:05:18 20,673 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To be honest, I have trouble telling who was who most of the time because of all the Japanese customs in name and honorifics that most of the story of Y1 and Y2 were lost on me. I know some dudes caused some shit, and some dude kept saying 'ah' alot, but that's about it.
  • Pirotic Moderator 9 May 2010 00:15:44 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Think before posting Hunam, the SEGA PR team could read that!

/awaits announcement of 'Japanese Gangsters 4' featuring 'Randy' as the lead character.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.